Question I'm not sure I'm allowed to ask about the main forum

Replies

• eneild
    eneild Posts: 198 Member

Of course they find it weird. We live in a culture where people are okay with standing in line for 30 minutes for a "free" hot dog.[/quote]

My eldest works at Starbucks and the amount of carby stuff that comes home with her is mind blowing! Last weekend was a big store clean up and somehow we ended up with 2 boxes each filled with 360 chocolate truffles left over from a spring speciality drink. They are currently residing in the basement and I'm sure being slowly eaten by said daughter while gaming.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Zenwenner wrote: »
    I wouldn't find it funny, personally, but that's just me. This kind of thing went on at my office to a degree. People would bring in donuts or muffins, cookies, etc and offer me some, and I would politely say no thanks, then this one particular coworker would bring some right to my desk and say "Are you suuuure you don't want any? They are soooo good! You could have ONE, right? One isn't going to kill you. Come on, I baked them myself..." etc etc I finally said to her one day, in front of every one else and in a very firm tone, "I do not want any. Thanks for offering, if you really want to "be nice" I would find it a whole lot nicer if you DIDN'T offer any more. If you want to eat those, fine, but please do not try to take me down with you."

She was miffed at me, but she got over it, and she has been a lot better about not shoving things in my face that she knows I don't want. It's not that I'm tempted, I just find it insulting when people deliberately try to sabotage you under the guise of being "nice".

Or maybe it's just that the older I get, the lower my tolerance for BS goes.

@Zenwenner - OMG, you are so my type of person. The older I get, the less I care what others think/want/judge!!!!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    I agree - food pushers under the guise of 'being nice' are annoying AF.

I deal with the same thing at work, and it is ironic because the ones pushing the food say out loud ten minutes later 'Oh, I should eat healthy. I need to lose weight.'

Well...if you think you need to lose weight, then maybe you should take a look at what you're eating. You're eating fried chicken, with french fries and a sugary cole slaw and you're wondering why I don't want any. /facepalm

The worse is 'Oh, but you're thin.' I feel like that's some envy speaking and they're trying to undermine your efforts.
  • tishsmith101
    tishsmith101 Posts: 1,644 Member
    We have food pushers in my office too. When I start telling them in detail why I don't eat that way anymore, they get bored and leave me alone LOL.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Well if there every is a silver lining in having diabetes is that everyone knows not to offer me carbs and sweets since it's bad for diabetics lol Plus I work at a health clinic with a vegan clinician so everyone is respectful of personal food choices :-)
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    I also suffered a lot on a high-fibre/carby diet. I though I was doing myself good, but the reality was I was always bloated, constipated, and in pain from trapped gas. Horrible. Not going back to that, ever.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    We have food pushers in my office too. When I start telling them in detail why I don't eat that way anymore, they get bored and leave me alone LOL.

Betcha it's cognitive dissonance masquerading as boredom....
  • RalfLott
    genmon00 wrote: »
    Well if there every is a silver lining in having diabetes is that everyone knows not to offer me carbs and sweets since it's bad for diabetics lol Plus I work at a health clinic with a vegan clinician so everyone is respectful of personal food choices :-)

Interesting.... Do you treat diabetic patients at your clinic?
  • RalfLott
    Well since doing keto/low carb my digestion has really started to suffer when I eat carbs. I've always had bad digestion and colon issues and LCHF made it better. My dad didn't believe me when I said those things are bad for me.

And then the day before yesterday I had some. Yesterday morning he saw I felt horrible. And had stomach aches. And he told me to not eat them again. No *kitten* Sherlock. Lol

Oh, and he's also diabetic. And on insulin.

Good lesson - I hope it sticks to him!
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    RalfLott wrote: »
    canadjineh wrote: »

I think you mean... he will end up dead at a much younger age, after going blind, having kidney problems, and both legs amputated....
    Just sayin'....

Yep, that's a possible scenario, all right.

During lunch with a few folks at a retreat last weekend, my singular eating style (somehow) managed to catch someone's attention.

I produced the usual hee-haw about wanting to keep my eyes, toes, feet, etc., and one of them piped up, "Yeah, I've been diabetic for a few years. You really have to work at the diet part." I kept my former pie-hole buttoned up but watched with gratification as she withdrew the sausage she'd just placed inside a nice white bun. "Nice going," I thought to myself, "you really made a difference to someone today."

Or so I thought until she rammed the naked buns down her throat, leaving the hapless wurst to languish alone and unappreciated on her plate.....

Oh my ----!! Lol, sad but oddly funny
  • genmon00

Interesting.... Do you treat diabetic patients at your clinic?

No I work at a women's health clinic. But in my community the diabetes rate is about 60%. It's very bad. Mostly everyone had a family member with diabetes so they are familiar with what they shouldn't eat.
  • RalfLott
    60% ?!? Yowza.

Do you think they really do know what they should /shouldn't eat? (Hint: Possibly not, If they've got ADA cookbooks lying around...)
  • genmon00
    60% ?!? Yowza.

Do you think they really do know what they should /shouldn't eat? (Hint: Possibly not, If they've got ADA cookbooks lying around...)

Haha exactly If we follow the Ada guidelines (which all the docs around here recommend except the sole endocrinologist that doesn't accept new patients) we are setting ourselves up for failure. I live in a rural community with a high poverty rate btw so access to quality healthcare is limited since most people are on some form of Medicaid. However, it's also a cultural thing since we are a border community we are 85% Hispanic and our typical diet (rice, beans, tortillas) does not play well with diabetes. It's incredibly sad because there is a lot of education and outreach done here but with bad information aka ADA
  • RalfLott
    How sad....

Do outreach workers really think they're spreading state-of-the-art advice, or is there also an underlying judgment that it's counterproductive to recommend radical lifestyle changes?

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    How sad....

Do outreach workers really think they're spreading state-of-the-art advice, or is there also an underlying judgment that it's counterproductive to recommend radical lifestyle changes?

Mm. Why would you tell a diabetic he/she can fix his/her disease with LCHF for free when you can take their money for insulin and diabetic meds...
  • RalfLott
    How sad....

Mm. Why would you tell a diabetic he/she can fix his/her disease with LCHF for free when you can take their money for insulin and diabetic meds...

Well, presumably the outreach folks in this scenario receive public funding, and Medicaid & Medicare are hardly swimming in surpluses.

But I don't know.... It almost seems like the ADA must have the dirt on almost all of the players in the health care indistries. Even the insurance companies aren't screaming bloody murder (though mine did just start to almost fully cover all sorts of diabetes management expenses, like testing supplies). It's pretty wtf, all right.
  • genmon00
    How sad....

I honestly believe that they don't think people can really adhere to REAL lifestyle changes to combat diabetes. And most people won't. There must be a radical change in the healthcare community in how it views a patients role in maintaining and preventing the "spread"of their disease, for lack of a better word. At some point, we must be held accountable for choices that lead us the bad health. Yes, big Farm and big Pharm have a hand in it, but thank God for scientists like Phiney and Voelek that are heralding the truth about what diabetics should really be eating.
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    How sad....

I honestly believe that they don't think people can really adhere to REAL lifestyle changes to combat diabetes. And most people won't. There must be a radical change in the healthcare community in how it views a patients role in maintaining and preventing the "spread"of their disease, for lack of a better word. At some point, we must be held accountable for choices that lead us the bad health. Yes, big Farm and big Pharm have a hand in it, but thank God for scientists like Phiney and Voelek that are heralding the truth about what diabetics should really be eating.

Yes indeed!

It probably won't happen until the low-fat generation is dead and gone. (Ulp! That's me!)

Phinney & Volek's popular New Atkins for a New You ain't rocket science...... It seems to take an awfully dim view of the human race to not even give people the tools to help themselves or lay out the likely consequences of different alternatives. Yet still, they'll be blamed for their "choices", because CICO.....

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited August 2016
    Zenwenner wrote: »
    I wouldn't find it funny, personally, but that's just me. This kind of thing went on at my office to a degree. People would bring in donuts or muffins, cookies, etc and offer me some, and I would politely say no thanks, then this one particular coworker would bring some right to my desk and say "Are you suuuure you don't want any? They are soooo good! You could have ONE, right? One isn't going to kill you. Come on, I baked them myself..." etc etc I finally said to her one day, in front of every one else and in a very firm tone, "I do not want any. Thanks for offering, if you really want to "be nice" I would find it a whole lot nicer if you DIDN'T offer any more. If you want to eat those, fine, but please do not try to take me down with you."

She was miffed at me, but she got over it, and she has been a lot better about not shoving things in my face that she knows I don't want. It's not that I'm tempted, I just find it insulting when people deliberately try to sabotage you under the guise of being "nice".

Or maybe it's just that the older I get, the lower my tolerance for BS goes.

Well...technically, since I'm not allergic, just one won't kill me. But do you really think you're the only one pushing these kinds of things on me? If I ate one for every person that did what you're doing right now, because "oh, come on! It's just one," then "just one" would, in reality, be no less than one Every. Single. Day.

Having even one every day like that does effectively kill me. Slowly, and painfully, I might add. Cluster headaches, migraines, long-term high-dose use of Ibuprofen to combat them (resulting in destruction of the liver if I continue, or the effects of the systemic inflammation those headaches represent, which includes things like cardiovascular disease and, for me, asthma). Oh, and itchy as hell dermatitis that creates watery blisters and open lesions that don't heal as long as I continue eating those "just one!" things.

So...yeah. Thanks, but no thanks.

/end hypothetical rant

Ahh...does make me glad I work in a profession that allows me to work remotely. I do not miss the daily inundation of sugary, carby everything (though the annual Chris Cakes pancake extravaganza at one job was a lot of fun, but I miss the bacon-wrapped water chestnuts from the Christmas party the most).