Coffee!

Options
shaybosh
shaybosh Posts: 50 Member
What do you put in your coffee?
Before switching to low-carb, I used 2 splenda and 4 flavoured creamer. I switched from splenda to xylitol since it's high fibre and has 0 net carbs, but what can I use instead of creamer?! I switched to sugar-free and measure out 3 tablespoons, so now my coffee is 3 net carbs instead of 10. but 2 cups a day is still 6 net carbs!
I know whipping cream can be carb free, but it's also high in fat.
are there any better options anyone has found? either store-bought or recipes for homemade flavoured creamer?

Replies

• Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I usually use 1 tablespoon of cream and about 2-3 tablespoons full cream milk. And stevia mixed with some erythritol.

Fat is a good thing though. It's what satisfies and fuels the body on a low carb diet.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have 2 T of heavy whipping cream in each cup. It is amazing :blush:

I used to do Splenda too, but got off all artificial sweetener in April. I don't even miss it - it's amazing how low carb can change your tastes!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I use liquid sucralose and heavy whipping cream.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    HWC or unsweetened almond milk always, and Erythritol if I want it a bit sweeter at any given time.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof for me or today I tried something that one of my IG connections is doing. Egg latte. Coffee, butter, small egg, blend in my blender. It is really good!
  • kennygang
    kennygang Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use hwc and tbsp. of coconut oil and if I want ice coffee I add ice cubes and mix in my nutra bullet This fills me up all morning and I don't eat lunch til about 2pm
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Fat is our friend! And fuel on low carb so do not be afraid :) I do bulletproof coffee every morning that subs for breakfast because it's so filling. It's coffee, hwc, coconut oil, butter and liquid stevia blended up, so delicious!
  • shaybosh
    shaybosh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've got my macros set to 50% fat, so not avoiding it at all!
    I think I'll try HWC in my next cup :)
    Thanks everyone!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I've actually managed to like BPC now. I'm not entirely sure how...

I'm what's known as a "supertaster." That is, I'm super-sensitive to certain foods with certain bitter qualities. For example, grapefruit is bitter as hell to me. I'd rather eat a lemon. Kale is so bitter to me that even a single leaf in a smoothie will make the entire thing bitter (even a chocolate and peanut butter smoothie, despite peanut butter tending to be the dominant flavor).

As for coffee, that meant that until about two years ago, I didn't even know there were different tastes to it. To me, all coffee was the same -- bitter. There was no difference between Arabica or Mongolian or Brazilian or even among those so-called "flavored" coffees (though I might be able to get hints of the intended flavor).

Then, I started toying around with additives. I experimented with the egg coffee recipe from Mark Sisson's website, and found that there was something about 3 whole eggs, half a teaspoon of sugar (interestingly, leaving the sugar out, or using an artificial sweetener left the coffee tasting flat, the sugar brought out all the other flavors, similar to what salt is usually used for), a dash of cinnamon, half a teaspoon of vanilla, and maybe a little cocoa powder that managed to neutralize the bitter flavor.

I finally understood what people were talking about when they were talking about different coffee flavors!

Perhaps it's because I now know what flavors are there, and my brain can "tune out" the bitter compounds and focus on those flavors. I don't know. I do know that I can't do it with all of the coffees, and I have to either cold brew or use the single-cup setting on my maker (yeah, I have a fancy hybrid one), because the extra heat from the carafe warmer brings out the bitterness too much, but I can do it with some.

So, for a while, I was doing heavy cream and a little bit of sugar (non-sugar sweeteners taste awful in coffee to me, so it's the real thing or bust, but I try to limit it). Then, I decided to try original recipe Bulletproof Coffee -- butter and coconut oil, and nothing else. Strangely enough, I found that I actually liked! Again, it only works with certain coffees, and it can't be made in a carafe, but it works! And it fills me up until like 3pm.
  • co_lau
    co_lau Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am also a Bulletproof Coffee person, though I use Nutria Vegan Shortening (coconut oil and red palm oil) instead of coffee and coconut oil. I do add a bit of almond coffee creamer, and this doubles as breakfast for me. I generally get about 4 hours of satiety from BPC.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee Blend from Costco. A dollop of whipping cream. No sweetener and at times I drink it black.
  • Zenwenner
    Zenwenner Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    2 to 2.5 tbsp heavy whipping cream and 1 packet of Sugar Twin - YUM! I need a bit of sweet in there, but not a lot. Its worth the little tiny bit of carb to me.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Decaf for me. I drink it all day long and often times as a dessert in the evening. I tend to be one who enjoys "drinking their calories" in the form of coffee. My mugs are either with coconut oil (frothed in the magic bullet) or heavy whipping cream. Nearly always a few drops of stevia and I never double up to more than a tablespoon of the oil or cream cuz...calories. Maybe some day I'll start drinking plain water all day instead. No i won't. Fleeting thought.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    Heavy whipping cream. No sweetener. It's my breakfast daily. I snack on iced coffee with a splash of cream or half and half, whatever the coffee shop has.
  • mskeyaj
    mskeyaj Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    erythritol/xylitol where can find these sweetners from and what do they look like? Help please. Also anyone know where to find a great variety of torani syrups? I am specifically looking for the Cinnamon Brown Sugar and Toffee...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Amazon for all of the above, @mskeyaj - just know that sucralose in the torani syrups can cause reactions for some.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I usually drink coffee for breakfast on weekdays - 4 "cups" (a cup of coffee according to coffee maker seems closer to 6 oz.) of coffee. I'll put that in the blender with 1 scoop protein powder, 2 tsp. fiber, 2 Tb. butter, 1 Tb. MCT oil, and 1 Tb. HWC. Blend it and put it into my Yeti cup/mug as I head out the door for work.

More recently, I've been doing a similar concoction in the evening or at lunch. I wouldn't do more than 3 per day, but lately have been doing 2. I'll probably cut back to 1 coffee (3-4 cups, depending on your definition of cup) with additives next week.