Coffee!

Options

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @RalfLott - you know most cats are actually lactose intolerant by nature, right? That even though they love milk, that it's terrible for them, right??? Just like us humans and sugar/wheat/grains! LOL

Yep, that's a sure-fire recipe that will cause a cat to stick close to its litter box! :D

If the cat is civilized.....
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    If the cat is civilized.....

Indeed!! LOL

• WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I put the little coffee cream capsules in mine, I like them as they are portioned and they have them at work. 2 of those is 1 carb, I generally use just 1 but if I have a double espresso in the morning I use 2. I never use any sweetener in my drinks. I used to waste a lot of carbs putting milk in my tea but now I also use the cream capsules in there too.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I usually use 1 tablespoon of cream and about 2-3 tablespoons full cream milk. And stevia mixed with some erythritol.

O, wise pleasure hound, why are you depriving yourself?

Save the milk for a kitty treat and replace with HCW, then flog the stuff into submission!

I put a tbsp of whole milk in my tea, the taste of double cream is just too overwhelming for the delicate taste... we all have different preferences :smile:

I had this problem too remember? Now I am converted to those coffee cream capsules, 1 of those 12g capsules tastes like 50ml of milk in my tea. Saving so many carbs!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    McShorty7 wrote: »
    Does anybody here find that sometimes it kick starts your hunger rather than helps it?
    I normally use 1-2 Tbsp Coconut Oil and 2-3 Tbsp HWC.

Yes. It does this to me!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I usually use 1 tablespoon of cream and about 2-3 tablespoons full cream milk. And stevia mixed with some erythritol.

O, wise pleasure hound, why are you depriving yourself?

Save the milk for a kitty treat and replace with HCW, then flog the stuff into submission!

I put a tbsp of whole milk in my tea, the taste of double cream is just too overwhelming for the delicate taste... we all have different preferences :smile:

I had this problem too remember? Now I am converted to those coffee cream capsules, 1 of those 12g capsules tastes like 50ml of milk in my tea. Saving so many carbs!

I remember :smile: So glad you found a great solution!

@RalfLott a true gourmand would skip the milk and cream and enjoy the rich flavour of the actual tea or coffee :wink:
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @RalfLott a true gourmand would skip the milk and cream and enjoy the rich flavour of the actual tea or coffee :wink:
    You may be confusing my undiscriminating palate with a genuine gourmet. But flattered, of course!

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I figured out a long time ago, even before LC/Keto that most "creamers" are full of gross bad/trans fats, so I switched to half & half ages ago, and finally got myself off Splenda and started using stevia about 3 years ago.

Now that I'm keto and milk gives me trouble, I do liquid stevia and HWC. The liquid stevia I get is the SweetLeaf by Sweet Drops. There's always 3-4 flavors in my fridge at any time. I have hazelnut, English toffee, cinnamon, and chocolate raspberry in there, now. I also have a big giant bottle of Torani sugar free Salted Caramel flavored syrup in my cupboard because someone got it for me, but it's Splenda-sweetened (sucralose), which somehow stalls me and affects bathroom time if I use too much/often, so I keep that for guests and occasional things, like spreading out 2 tablespoons across a batch of 10 fat bombs.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I used to do xylitol and half & half in my coffee, but I drink 4 cups a day and that much xylitol had me feeling crappy ( :D ). So then I alternates xylitol and splenda but I didn't like that as splenda tastes very chemical to me.

So I switched to whipping cream which has 0 carbs and the richness balances out the lack of sugar. I don't use much because I still drink 3-4 cups a day so it adds up, but I enjoy it!
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I used to do xylitol and half & half in my coffee, but I drink 4 cups a day and that much xylitol had me feeling crappy ( :D ). So then I alternates xylitol and splenda but I didn't like that as splenda tastes very chemical to me.

So I switched to whipping cream which has 0 carbs and the richness balances out the lack of sugar. I don't use much because I still drink 3-4 cups a day so it adds up, but I enjoy it!

1 extra nanogram of Xylitol will work that effect, all right, which is too bad, because it's pretty good.
    But I find the liquid stevia/erythritol stuff (green bottle) is pretty good if used sparingly.
    So.... a microsquirt thereof in a fluffy pillow of HWC? I might give it a B+....
    (Note - if you have big HWC pillows, i.e., ounces of HWC, there will be carbs :'( )
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

Just a heads up, but heavy cream and half n half have about the same carbs. They both are about 0.5g each. I think heavy cream is actually 0.4 per tablespoon. So only 0.8g per 2 Tbs... Since it's less than 1, it's listed as 0g per serving.
    These numbers can be rounded down on the nutrition lable and some brands do it while others don't. That's why you'll see some labled as having 0.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Trying to work back into black coffee since dairy is causing me congestion in head/lungs.

Right now I am taking my coconut oil in green tea.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil sometimes and sometimes Apple pie spice. Heavy cream is good

I don't do the bullet proof coffee thing. I just like coffee.

I have drank it but I like to get calories from eating instead of drinks.

But coffee is yum!
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee. I gave it up for a long time when my adrenals were really out of whack, and I felt truly deprived.

Now that I can drink it again, I go all out. Whipping cream, yeah! And stevia. And sometimes I even use up some carbs on a teaspoon of sugar, because when I do that my coffee tastes so darn good and satisfies a number of cravings - fat, sweet, and caffeine all in one. It makes getting out of bed worthwhile. Not giving it up.
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Before joining this group, it would never have crossed my mind to put anything in my coffee at home. I drink plain, black coffee all day and have since jr. high.

The way a lot of people are describing how they make coffee sounds more like yummy deserts that I may need to try. On that note, is there anything or any way to order low-carb from a coffee house or Starbucks? (Getting tired of being called boring for my plain coffee order- lol.)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Riche120 wrote: »
    Before joining this group, it would never have crossed my mind to put anything in my coffee at home. I drink plain, black coffee all day and have since jr. high.

The way a lot of people are describing how they make coffee sounds more like yummy deserts that I may need to try. On that note, is there anything or any way to order low-carb from a coffee house or Starbucks? (Getting tired of being called boring for my plain coffee order- lol.)

At Starbucks I get an Americano.
    You can order it with heavy cream or half n half or now they even offer coconut milk.
    If you use sweeteners, they do have sugar free syrups too.
    Recently I got an iced Americano with coconut milk and it was super yum!
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Riche120 wrote: »

Decaf Grande Americano with heavy cream, please!
  • Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I may need to try an Americano tomorrow. :) thanks
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    McShorty7 wrote: »
    Does anybody here find that sometimes it kick starts your hunger rather than helps it?
    I normally use 1-2 Tbsp Coconut Oil and 2-3 Tbsp HWC.

It could be a digestive enzyme thing related to the HWC (casein).
    Try without cream or maybe try with CO and butter instead of cream and see if it makes a difference. There's still some casein in butter, but not as much. But you don't have to use bitter. It just helps if you need the creamy texture.

I use the ruled.me BPC:

2 cups coffee (medium, not dark roast, is best)
    2 tbsp butter
    2 tbsp coconut oil
    1 tsp pure vanilla
    1 tbsp (or less, just a splash) of hwc
    1 tsp stevia powder
    dash of salt

The vanilla and salt (yes, salt! Just a pinch!) makes this taste like a fatty International Coffees thingo - remember those, from the '80s? My fave was the Cafe Vienna. When I was a teen, one of the kids I babysat for, her mom had a tin in the cupboard and she said I could help myself (sometimes, I'd sprinkle some on vanilla ice cream...holleee shat!). Gawd help me, if I had some of that nowadays, I'd be napping before lunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcMpJlYynBw
  • mbonacci12
    mbonacci12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The thought of oil or butter in my coffee makes me cringe. I read that so many people drink this. What does it taste like? Is it oily?