Coffee!

Options

Replies

• LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Strong coffee Americano made in my Aeropress with a mixture of 18% coffee cream and whipping cream, plus stevia. I've learned to like my coffee less sweet than I used to and now stevia alone works, where before I always added a bit of sugar in the past.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Does anybody here find that sometimes it kick starts your hunger rather than helps it?
    I normally use 1-2 Tbsp Coconut Oil and 2-3 Tbsp HWC.
  • McShorty7
    McShorty7 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I've actually managed to like BPC now. I'm not entirely sure how...

I'm what's known as a "supertaster." That is, I'm super-sensitive to certain foods with certain bitter qualities. For example, grapefruit is bitter as hell to me. I'd rather eat a lemon. Kale is so bitter to me that even a single leaf in a smoothie will make the entire thing bitter (even a chocolate and peanut butter smoothie, despite peanut butter tending to be the dominant flavor).

As for coffee, that meant that until about two years ago, I didn't even know there were different tastes to it. To me, all coffee was the same -- bitter. There was no difference between Arabica or Mongolian or Brazilian or even among those so-called "flavored" coffees (though I might be able to get hints of the intended flavor).

Then, I started toying around with additives. I experimented with the egg coffee recipe from Mark Sisson's website, and found that there was something about 3 whole eggs, half a teaspoon of sugar (interestingly, leaving the sugar out, or using an artificial sweetener left the coffee tasting flat, the sugar brought out all the other flavors, similar to what salt is usually used for), a dash of cinnamon, half a teaspoon of vanilla, and maybe a little cocoa powder that managed to neutralize the bitter flavor.

I finally understood what people were talking about when they were talking about different coffee flavors!

Perhaps it's because I now know what flavors are there, and my brain can "tune out" the bitter compounds and focus on those flavors. I don't know. I do know that I can't do it with all of the coffees, and I have to either cold brew or use the single-cup setting on my maker (yeah, I have a fancy hybrid one), because the extra heat from the carafe warmer brings out the bitterness too much, but I can do it with some.

So, for a while, I was doing heavy cream and a little bit of sugar (non-sugar sweeteners taste awful in coffee to me, so it's the real thing or bust, but I try to limit it). Then, I decided to try original recipe Bulletproof Coffee -- butter and coconut oil, and nothing else. Strangely enough, I found that I actually liked! Again, it only works with certain coffees, and it can't be made in a carafe, but it works! And it fills me up until like 3pm.

I've been seeing comments about people adding a pinch of salt to their coffee to combat the bitterness
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    McShorty7 wrote: »
    Does anybody here find that sometimes it kick starts your hunger rather than helps it?

It could be a digestive enzyme thing related to the HWC (casein).
    Try without cream or maybe try with CO and butter instead of cream and see if it makes a difference. There's still some casein in butter, but not as much. But you don't have to use bitter. It just helps if you need the creamy texture.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I've actually managed to like BPC now. I'm not entirely sure how...

I'm what's known as a "supertaster." That is, I'm super-sensitive to certain foods with certain bitter qualities. For example, grapefruit is bitter as hell to me. I'd rather eat a lemon. Kale is so bitter to me that even a single leaf in a smoothie will make the entire thing bitter (even a chocolate and peanut butter smoothie, despite peanut butter tending to be the dominant flavor).

As for coffee, that meant that until about two years ago, I didn't even know there were different tastes to it. To me, all coffee was the same -- bitter. There was no difference between Arabica or Mongolian or Brazilian or even among those so-called "flavored" coffees (though I might be able to get hints of the intended flavor).

Then, I started toying around with additives. I experimented with the egg coffee recipe from Mark Sisson's website, and found that there was something about 3 whole eggs, half a teaspoon of sugar (interestingly, leaving the sugar out, or using an artificial sweetener left the coffee tasting flat, the sugar brought out all the other flavors, similar to what salt is usually used for), a dash of cinnamon, half a teaspoon of vanilla, and maybe a little cocoa powder that managed to neutralize the bitter flavor.

I finally understood what people were talking about when they were talking about different coffee flavors!

Perhaps it's because I now know what flavors are there, and my brain can "tune out" the bitter compounds and focus on those flavors. I don't know. I do know that I can't do it with all of the coffees, and I have to either cold brew or use the single-cup setting on my maker (yeah, I have a fancy hybrid one), because the extra heat from the carafe warmer brings out the bitterness too much, but I can do it with some.

So, for a while, I was doing heavy cream and a little bit of sugar (non-sugar sweeteners taste awful in coffee to me, so it's the real thing or bust, but I try to limit it). Then, I decided to try original recipe Bulletproof Coffee -- butter and coconut oil, and nothing else. Strangely enough, I found that I actually liked! Again, it only works with certain coffees, and it can't be made in a carafe, but it works! And it fills me up until like 3pm.

I've been seeing comments about people adding a pinch of salt to their coffee to combat the bitterness

The butter I get is salted Amish style roll butter. There's already no lack of salt for that purpose.

But yeah, I've tried that in the past, before we started getting the roll butter. Still doesn't work for me.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @mskeyaj I've seen a pretty good selection of Torani in World Market if you have one near you. Also if you have HomeGoods near you they carry brands other than Torani but it is hit or miss as to what they might have due to the nature of the store.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    All I put in my coffee is one tbsp of double cream. I'm not a BPC fan, I'd rather eat my breakfast than drink it, though the taste is fine (tried it once).
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I usually use 1 tablespoon of cream and about 2-3 tablespoons full cream milk. And stevia mixed with some erythritol.

O, wise pleasure hound, why are you depriving yourself?

Save the milk for a kitty treat and replace with HCW, then flog the stuff into submission!

• LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    I usually use 1 tablespoon of cream and about 2-3 tablespoons full cream milk. And stevia mixed with some erythritol.

Save the milk for a kitty treat and replace with HCW, then flog the stuff into submission!

I put a tbsp of whole milk in my tea, the taste of double cream is just too overwhelming for the delicate taste... we all have different preferences :smile:
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott - you know most cats are actually lactose intolerant by nature, right? That even though they love milk, that it's terrible for them, right??? Just like us humans and sugar/wheat/grains! LOL
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Been there. I have 10. That's why tablespoons of milk are a "treat." ;)

(True Confession: It was the only use I could think of for plain milk, since most people don't keep livestock anymore....)
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Yes!! When I add hwc to my coffee, it's pretty much guaranteed I will get hungry within the next two hours. Bulletproof does keep me satiated longer. But with straight black iced coffee, I can literally go until 3pm without eating.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @RalfLott - you know most cats are actually lactose intolerant by nature, right? That even though they love milk, that it's terrible for them, right??? Just like us humans and sugar/wheat/grains! LOL

And dogs and antifreeze or chocolate.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    mskeyaj wrote: »
    erythritol/xylitol where can find these sweetners from and what do they look like? Help please. Also anyone know where to find a great variety of torani syrups? I am specifically looking for the Cinnamon Brown Sugar and Toffee...

YTMV, but Erythritol might be preferable, as Xylitol has been, er... rumored to culminate in The Trots on occasion.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I put a tbsp of whole milk in my tea, the taste of double cream is just too overwhelming for the delicate taste... we all have different preferences :smile:

I fear I'm on the gourmand end of the spectrum.....
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Ah yes -- but they can eat Krema 11% greek yogurt. It's good for their little digestive systems. Or so says our vet, and my cat's fussy digestion seems to think so, too.
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options
    LauraCoth wrote: »
    Ah yes -- but they can eat Krema 11% greek yogurt. It's good for their little digestive systems. Or so says our vet, and my cat's fussy digestion seems to think so, too.

Thanks for the tip!

We give our little monsters a little yogurt mixed with pumpkin if they've gotten... irregular, but I hadn't thought of giving them yogurt as part of their diet.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing that Goat's Milk Kefir is better for probiotics and cow's milk - and way better than yogurt. Anyone have experience with this?
  • jayne12469
    jayne12469 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I gave up driving around and hunting for the Torani sugar free syrups, sucked it up and paid the shipping and just ordered a bunch from Amazon. I did ask my local coffee shop about buying through them, and they were more than willing to help me out, but they use DaVinci syrups, and my favorites happen to be Torani. I have a very close relationship with coffee, so this is one thing I'm willing to splurge on.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Yep, that's a sure-fire recipe that will cause a cat to stick close to its litter box! :D