September Workout Thread!

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    jowaring wrote: »
    I know what's going on?I can bench 60lb but as soon as I get upto 80lb + on squats I get pain.driving me mad lol.

\o/ \o/ yay \o/ \o/ where have you been all my life?

lifetime best squat, me: 100 pounds. once, after two years of tapping 90 or 95 and then dropping back down to 'work on form' once again. and i'm chugging my way steadily towards that on bench, with no serious holdups in sight.

all i'm aiming for now is to fall a little less low each time i fall back. i'm hoping i can fill this squat glass from the bottom upwards, i guess. ONE day i'll work out all the kinks, and start getting newbie gains on my squats when i'm 76.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squat-1X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    BP-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BR-5X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-23X 10 X 35

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    2 miles
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    in-between day. press coming up for real on friday, and didn't feel solid enough for real squats.

ohp 30lb 5x10 reps. shoulders were burning by the end, but form felt great and it was nice to have such light weight so i could settle on that.

antagonist muscle work: cable pulldowns and band pulls in between sets on the press.

squats, oh my. still getting the pinch. i did at least 5 sets of 5 with the bar, then moved to kettle bells and did 5x10 bottom-up goblet squats using HAMSTRINGS AND GLUTES ONLY.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Wow its been a week since stronglifts...no bueno :/ . Got a workout in today, but I'll pay for taking too much time off and be sore tomorrow haha

Squats: 3x5 135lbs. My leg/foot feels a lot better, sticking here to perfect form. I feel like I have a little butt wink happening.

Ohp:5x5 80lbs. A repeat weight since it's over a week. Felt really good.

Deadlift: 1x5 175lbs. Felt extremely heavy, but in a good way :smiley:
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglifts Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-3X5X 40
    Russian kettle bell swing-19 X7X 40
    Week three, day two of transitioning from the 35 pound to the 40 pound kettle bell. No issues with strength or body.
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Squats 5x5 @45.no pain so going to slowly work back up.
    Bench 5 5 5 5 4 @60lbs.couldnt finish today.
    Rows 5x5 @55.
  • jowaring
    Options
    jowaring wrote: »
    I know what's going on?I can bench 60lb but as soon as I get upto 80lb + on squats I get pain.driving me mad lol.

\o/ \o/ yay \o/ \o/ where have you been all my life?

lifetime best squat, me: 100 pounds. once, after two years of tapping 90 or 95 and then dropping back down to 'work on form' once again. and i'm chugging my way steadily towards that on bench, with no serious holdups in sight.

all i'm aiming for now is to fall a little less low each time i fall back. i'm hoping i can fill this squat glass from the bottom upwards, i guess. ONE day i'll work out all the kinks, and start getting newbie gains on my squats when i'm 76.

I'm the same,got upto 95 pounds and dropped to 40 to work on form.im on my third round of doing this now. When I first started and was easily adding 5 lb on every time I lifted I thought I'd be squatting my body weight in no time.little did I know ha . We ll get there one day.☺
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    My deadlift is heavier than my squat but all of the lifts are now harder to increase on in general, upper and lower body alike.

Last night's shift at work was rough so didn't go to gym after. Had the evening shift, which is normally fine but we were understaffed again. We had a cashier up front and in wine/spirits, one cosmetics person and me, the only one working the floor and to cover breaks plus when the lines got too big and still to finish putting away freight. Yeah... Someone didn't schedule well because morning had a lot of people working and evening was rough. Made it through but clocked out 15 minutes late then had a little traffic on way home due to construction so didn't bother with the gym. Plus, I have two days off in a row so will get enough gym time.

Since don't have work today I went to the gym mid-day instead of at night and actually trained upper body. Though early on in the lifting, the fire alarms went off. It wasn't any reason from our section of building so we ended up just going back to lifting even though it was a little while before the alarms finally stopped. They are doing construction on one of the buildings in the little shopping complex so that was probably the cause.

Just did random working around three lifts at a time, circuit like, until the last couple where I just did the two. I hadn't eaten since last night at 8 pm and only drank some coffee with a bit of creamer earlier this morning. Not the best plan. Got a little winded/dizzy at the end of the lifting, so only did 2 sets instead of 3 for the hip thrusts cause had to rest and part of it was just my stomach was having issues and the weight right on my hips didn't sit well so to speak. I felt better quick but still walked instead of jogging on the treadmill.

Stopped at In & Out on the way home as sister wanted that or Taco Bell and I didn't feel like burritos yet again. Tad pricier but was nice to have a plain burger and some fries. mmm food

assisted pull up machine - 1x3 @ 25 and 3x6 @ 40
    tricep pushdown - 4x10 @ 35
    cable bicep curl - 4x10 @ 35

incline db bench press - 3x8 @ 30
    one arm db row - 3x8 @ 35
    lateral raise - 3x10 @ 10

one arm db snatch - 3x5 @ 30
    hip thrust 2x8 @ 90

60 minute walk on treadmill

Tomorrow will include attempting 205 squat for 1 rep, which will be a new PR if I get it. Definitely eating more than 1400 and going to have food before lifting for that. Can't wait to see if I can get it this time.
  • fanncy0626
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    OHP- 1 X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 55
    DL- 1X5X 140

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-20 X 10 X 35

5 miles

Canadianlbs - I also have a hard time with squat. I was up to 130 before I got sick but deloaded mainly due to that. When I started to go back to the original 130 I had moved a mirror into my workout area and noticed that my form was off! I was not going parallel. So I deloaded way down to where I could get parallel. That was 60 pounds. I have finally worked my self back up to 100 pounds. I cannot move on though, because it is not easy to go parallel yet. I do what you have suggested or reported doing a lot because I value your advice on the subject. So I have readjusted my form several times. So, thank you for your advice!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    So, thank you for your advice!

:) it's nice to know that it's helping someone.

idk, i'm kind of in the philosophical phase about it. if finding a reliable form is harder than actually doing the lift, for me, then i gain more if i put my work towards finding that form. and if my body keeps moving things around so that something that felt fine yesterday hurts me today, then that's just what i'm dealing with, i suppose. my patience muscles have got pretty huge, even if nothing else has.

psychologically, it helps sometimes to know that i do have the strength. i just don't have the non-inflammation consistency to use the strength on a consistent basis, and there doesn't seem to be very much i can do about that. the killer with chronic illnesses is not taking personal responsibility for things that are not in your control. so much about lifting is about that - your x hurts because you're not y/because your z is so weak. for anyone who does have a chronic issue, it's at least one layer more complex than that.

anyway. off to lift, me.

• canadianlbs
    Options
    bench 5/3/1: 65/75/85. two reps on the last set, but ugh they were ugly.

i dislike benching at rec centres because the equipment's so calibrated for male dimensions and none of it quite works for me. i have to shrug juuuuust a little to get the bar out and then to put it back; the bench is too high for my lower leg length; and the lowest safety-rail setting available stops the bar half an inch from my chest. and every time i run into those bars it feels like i lose my tight back a little. i got frustrated enough for a while that i was benching from the bottom up - just leaving the bar on the rails, trying to get set, and then driving it up.

ain't benching 85 pounds without those safeties there though. i probably should have taken the rails off and done some joker sets, but it didn't occur to me.

no squatting happened today. i've got what feels like tendonitis or something going on all around my hips, so all i did was grab a 26lb kettlebell and do a series of six-breath-long holds at below parallel.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    So, yeah. Had today off from work too and was planning to get up then get stuff done. Well, I went back to bed after alarm went off, spent some time on the heating pad and basically didn't get up until noon. Then spent some time watching anime on youtube cause why not. Did manage to get some writing though. Have chapter 10 started and might try to write a little before going to bed even though I have the early morning shift tomorrow.

On the plus side, I have a new one rep max on squats. Managed to get the 205 tonight. Yay! It was busy at the gym too considering it was night and a small gym. Bunch of guys around but never see many go for the squat rack so had it unbothered as I made my attempts.In the peak cycle I have the goal set at 215 so for the next couple of weeks it's rough waters but will see what happens.

squat warm up - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135, with belt 1x3 @ 175
    squat with belt - 3x1 @ 205!
    overload with belt - 275 for 20 count (wow that feels heavy, surprised I can un-rack it even)
    pause squat - 1x1 @ 155
    cable kickback - 3x8 @ 20 per leg

walked 25 minutes on treadmill
  • canadianlbs
    edited September 2016
    Options
    t day, 5-3-1 week. whoo hoo.

press 50/55/61.5. got three for my last set and the weight was actually 62.5, so happy.

deadlift. 130/145/165. even better. i did my warmups and had mr t give me a sanity check on back angle, lower back tightness etc. then i did my 130 set of 5 and thought they were pretty heavy for 130, but in that thoroughly-doable-anyway way. they just made me a little nervous about how i'd deal with 145 and 165, was all.

then i went to get some more plates and realised i'd just skipped right past the opening set and done 5x150. mr t forbade me to go backwards and do set 1, so i moved right on to the 165, and got three reps.

which is a weight AND rep PR :D:D:D:D
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Woot Canadian! Good job. :smile:
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Woot Canadian! Good job. :smile:

thank you. and you with your 205 squat, holy cow. and 275 for the hold - i really like that idea. i've used it more for ohp, and i do think it's really helped with the way my form would wander as i went through a set and started losing that 'shelf'.
  • jowaring
    Options
    stayed at 45lbs for squats,no pain,going to work up slowly and not jump straight back to 95.
    ohp 5x5 @40lb.
    deadlift1x5@105.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's workout:

Squat 5x5: 140. I agree the squats are a challenge. It seems there is such a fine line between good form and bad form :/

Bench: 3,4,4,3,3 105lbs. Haha all over the place. I think i could have pushed 5 on a couple of those but fear got the best of me. I usually workout with my boyfriend but he has been working a lot of overtime these two weeks. I do have the cage with the safety bar, so I'm safe but still was scared.

Row: 5x5 95lbs. I deloaded because my form was sloppy. May repeat this weight next time, I'll see how I feel during the warm up.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squat-1X5X 55/65/75/85/95, 5X5X 100
    BP-1X5X 55/65/75, 5X5X 85
    BR-5X5X85

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing- 23X5X35

3 miles
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat- 3X5X 40
    Russian kettle bell swing-19 X7X 40
    Week four, day one of transitioning from the 35-40 pound kettle bell.

3 miles
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    totally not my day. i seem to have moved the tedonitis or whatever this is from my right tfl/flexor complex to my left piriformis muscle. just no way i'll be squatting for a few days, and i wasn't in the mood to try anything else either.

deload week. if i don't want to, i don't even have to lift afaik.