Trusting the Process

Options
brileylmt
brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
After much internal debate and typing and deleting, I am going to share my thoughts and concerns with EM2WL. I love the thought of being able to eat enough to satisfy my hunger and also be healthy. I also like the idea of not looking like a pear on a couple of pretzel sticks. To give you and idea, I am 46 years old, weight 171, and I am 5 foot 4 inches. And I do look like a pear on stilts. My mother always called me canary legs. Majority of my weight is around my midsection.

I have been heavy most of my life and have had a belly for as long as I can remember. The only time I have been thin is during my divorce. I lost 40-45 pounds in less than 5 months. I was what I now call "skinny fat". I have since met my new hubby, got married and we have a son together. The weight came back on over the first 3 years and also due to having my son. I have spent the last 3 years trying to get thin again, the healthy way.

I lost about 20 pounds doing another diet/exercise system. I felt great until I began having an increase in headaches due to muscle strains. I finally have it under control and went back to the previous exercise system. This time it didn't work. I was exercising and lifting weights daily and eating about 1300-1400 calories. I was always starving.

Then....I decided to go back to using MFP. I found EM2WL group. The more I doubted what was said and did my own research, I realized that my problem was my thinking. I was eating too little. EM2WL is correct!!! My BMR is 1473, TDEE is 2026 and my 15% cut is 1722. I wasn't eating close to what I needed to even lay in a coma for a day. No wonder I wasn't able to loose any more weight and even gained 5 pounds back. It was so frustrating.

I now am doing my best to trust the process. I have been eating at my TDEE for a week and I feel great. I feel satisfied with what I eat each day. I even have my much desired dark chocolate in the evenings. I promised myself that I would do a specific weight lifting program that is a 3 month long program. I want to build back the muscle I lost when I wasn't able to work out for 6 months.

So here is where I start my journey. Trying to trust the process and not do a cut too early. I didn't take measurements because I didn't want to obsess over them and I weighed myself only so I could calm myself about eating more and gaining weight. I am lucky in the fact that I increased my calories to 2000 and I lost 2 pounds and then gained them back over the last week, but other than that I am the same weight. So I took a breath and said "trust the process"

Replies

• jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Glad you made a thread @beverlyriley900 !

I think you are off to a great start! Take your time moving through the process!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you started your thread/journal! That will definitely be a safe place for you to put your thoughts and frustrations, along with questions about this process. Also it's a place where you can share your progress and accomplishments, which you will see will start happening. Like @saranharm said, don't rush through the process, take your time. You can definitely transform your body with strength training and eat the right caloric amount. Be patient and trust the process.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • brileylmt
    Options
    End of day one paying more attention to my eating habits. I had my usual breakfast and left overs for lunch and an apple for afternoon snack. This kept me satisfied all day. I didn't even think about stopping to grab something at a gas station. Yet when I got off work I realized I still had 1000 calories to go, half my allotted amount for the day. This is where my problem lies. I snacked the rest of the evening and it wasn't all bad choices. I find myself eating less during the work day as I get busy and time flys by. Then at the end of the day I need to get to my calorie goal and I make bad choices. Next goal,80/20 eating style that lasts more than 2 days.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    @beverlyriley900 love the gym and garage!

As far as food, maybe add more to what meals you are already eating. Have peanut butter with your apple, for example. Eat full fat dairy to give you extra calories without a whole lot of extra bulk.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @beverlyriley900 I love you gym and your workout buddy! I have my little garage gym as well and a toddler who kindly and patiently (not always) hangs out with me while I workout.

On the eating, I second @saranharm, just eat more of what you already eat in your regular meals. Add one ounce of the protein you are already having, one extra egg to the scramble. Stay away of fat free and diet versions of anything (unless per doctor orders or because you really like it - I like skim milk better than whole, for example). Focus on nailing those calories for now. Make this your priority before attempting another change. Eating more through out the day will keep you satisfied and you won't have that many left over calories at night. Snacking at night isn't bad at all, you shouldn't have to go to bed hungry.

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • brileylmt
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. Every bit helps. When you pointed out that I needed more calories I thought 'hot damn, I get to eat!!' Now I realize that isn't as easy as I thought. I did fine for a day or two, but then old habits came back. I forget to pack enough for the day or I get full and can't eat enough. I have purchased a bag of raw almonds and that has helped. I can eat peanut butter by the spoonful so I may have to grab the small pack size and have that on hand. I have to pack my lunch and snacks to take with me. I am usually driving some where most days and eat in my car. This isn't as easy as I thought it would be in the beginning.

Breathe....trust the process..... my new mantra
  • brileylmt
    Options
    I am able to consistently get between TDEE amount and cut amount of calories. So I'm getting better. I will continue to work towards keeping closer to my TDEE amount. Having almonds with me and trying to increase protein helps. I am also upping my weights during my workouts by 2 1/2 pounds each week. I still can get to 12 reps without having to quit. I'm up to lifting 10 pounds with upper and 15 with lower exercises. Before I stopped I was using 17 1/2 pounds with uppers and 25 with lowers. I have a bit to go.
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Love that you made a thread. <3
    Excellent on the increases with the weights. You are making great progress!
    Yeah, I get the struggle with the food. To start it's like, yeah! I get to eat more! and then it's like, wait, this eating more is quite hard!
    Definitley takes a bit of pre planning. I found the 'saving' calories for the end of the day was part of the old diet mentality process at work. Once I started eating more snacks throughout the day and like the other ladies have suggested, just adding more calorie dense foods like nut butters, whole milk, avocado etc. it became easier to get consistently to TDEE.
    Look forward to continuing to read your thread!
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • misskitty0816
    misskitty0816 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am following this post, @beverlyriley900 and might create my own progress post, as I have the same issue of 'trusting the process'..................you have inspired me! :))))
  • brileylmt
    Options
    I'll look for your thread. Supporting each other does help!! Thank you for the compliment, I was inspired by @saranham. As well as others. Together we can do this
  • brileylmt
    Options
    Last night Hubby and I went out to dinner and a bar with friends that are in town from Louisiana. I was concerned about what I was going to eat. I was some what concerned about calorie amounts but I figure we would be slightly over but not bad. I made decent choices, steak, mashed potato and grilled cauliflower. I think the mojito was probably the highest in calorie. I ended up being 219 calories over. I normally would be irritated about that. Not to mention that had I been counting my intake the same as I was a month ago, I would have been about 800 calories over my amount. Today I thought back and decided I enjoyed my evening and today I would make good choices and go on with my journey. I did my workout and even increased my weights and moved furniture around to vacuum my upstairs and laundry is almost done. So I don't feel too bad. I had a good time and decided to not beat myself up over the calorie overage.

My problems comes from wanting to do a calorie cut, Monday will be 2 weeks of TDEE intake amount. I am embarrassed about my belly and want to loose it. I keep thinking that I'm doing great on getting close to my maintenance calorie and so I should be ready to do a cut. I then think about how easy it would be to loose weight while I work on increasing my weight lifting. Then I have to remind myself that I have to trust the process and wait. I need to have a higher calorie amount to increase muscle mass. I can't increase muscle mass by lowering my calorie intake. Here is my problem. I want to rush the process. I love that I am not gaining weight on 2000 intake, but really, really, really want the belly gone!! grrrrr.
  • jerilynconn
    Options
    I totally understand. It is so hard to wait! This is where we have to put our mind out of it. Ride out the reset and then consider cutting.
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    Don't we all want answers and results yesterday?! But, that is not how it goes. Your feelings are perfectly normal. Good thing you are trusting the process and letting it take it's course.

Good job in having a good time with your hubby yesterday. I love you mentality shift, what a huge NSV being able to move on and not quitting everything for 200 calories. That's the way to do it!

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. The more I read the more I get it. I think!!
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    Last night Hubby and I went out to dinner and a bar with friends that are in town from Louisiana. I was concerned about what I was going to eat. I was some what concerned about calorie amounts but I figure we would be slightly over but not bad. I made decent choices, steak, mashed potato and grilled cauliflower. I think the mojito was probably the highest in calorie. I ended up being 219 calories over. I normally would be irritated about that. Not to mention that had I been counting my intake the same as I was a month ago, I would have been about 800 calories over my amount. Today I thought back and decided I enjoyed my evening and today I would make good choices and go on with my journey. I did my workout and even increased my weights and moved furniture around to vacuum my upstairs and laundry is almost done. So I don't feel too bad. I had a good time and decided to not beat myself up over the calorie overage.

My problems comes from wanting to do a calorie cut, Monday will be 2 weeks of TDEE intake amount. I am embarrassed about my belly and want to loose it. I keep thinking that I'm doing great on getting close to my maintenance calorie and so I should be ready to do a cut. I then think about how easy it would be to loose weight while I work on increasing my weight lifting. Then I have to remind myself that I have to trust the process and wait. I need to have a higher calorie amount to increase muscle mass. I can't increase muscle mass by lowering my calorie intake. Here is my problem. I want to rush the process. I love that I am not gaining weight on 2000 intake, but really, really, really want the belly gone!! grrrrr.

Beverley when you first started by adding 50 calories a week, did you add this to the calories you were eating, not including any excercise calories ? I.E Iwas having 1200 calories a day, not eating back any calories earnt from excercise and I'm trying to now have 1250 per week, is that right ?? Ignoring any calories from excercise thanks Carol
    Ps did you find it very confusing ??
  • brileylmt
    Options
    I found it very confusing, I still get confused. I have been in this group for about 2weeks. I have some threads marked so I follow them anytime someone adds to them. I also go back and re read other posts. The people in this are very helpful and supportive.

As I understand, I eat my maintenance amount of calories and do not add back the exercise calories. My maintenance is 2026, that is what my goal is daily. I ignore the burned calories. That is how EM2WL calculator figures what you need. The MFP app figures the calorie needs differently. That's why the app automatically adds the burned calories back, particularly if you are connected to a activity tracker or key in your activity.
  • dejavuohlala
    Options
    I found it very confusing, I still get confused. I have been in this group for about 2weeks. I have some threads marked so I follow them anytime someone adds to them. I also go back and re read other posts. The people in this are very helpful and supportive.

As I understand, I eat my maintenance amount of calories and do not add back the exercise calories. My maintenance is 2026, that is what my goal is daily. I ignore the burned calories. That is how EM2WL calculator figures what you need. The MFP app figures the calorie needs differently. That's why the app automatically adds the burned calories back, particularly if you are connected to a activity tracker or key in your activity.

Thank you Beverly. Not sure if what I am
    Doing is correct or not, my calories us what MFP says I should have and I am adding 50 calories per week approx. Perhaps I'm too old for a complicated process !!!!! Lol thank you for your friend request carol
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I love that you enjoyed your night out and just moved on the next day. Do you know how HUGE a breakthrough that is in thinking after just 2 weeks?
    Seriously! <3 This is what this lifestyle is about. Enjoying time and food with friends and family. Then next day, focus on your macros again, and those days end up having no effect on our long term results because because it is just part of life!
    I know it is tough when we want to see results quickly, but you will be so glad you were patient and took your time in this process in the future. There is a lot of healing to do not just physically but mentally too. You are off to a tremendous start.
    What you are experiencing is completely normal, don't worry!
    http://eatmore2weighless.com/upping-cals-what-to-expect/
    Ichel
    EM2WL Ambassador and Moderator
  • brileylmt
    Options
    @dejavuohlala you may want to took back at the posts under getting started with EM2WL. They post s calculator to figure out what calorie amounts you need. They also have ebook you can purchase. I just got mine and it explained things in easy to understand language.