Trusting the Process

Options

Replies

• ibtmas
    ibtmas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    @TerezaToledo @Raynn1 It is a relief sigh reading this that its all up to me to bulk or not :) its my second week i'm eating at my Tdee. Planning to add one more workout day and increase Tdee this week. I'm adjusting to this journey and enjoying it anyway ;)
  • ibtmas
    Options
    I am no expert but my goal is not to hulk out with big muscles, just gain muscle needed to keep healthier bones and decrease calcium loss as much as I can as I age. I also have learned that the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn even at rest as well as muscles give you a healthier body. I have home workout videos, so great question. I look forward to the answer from the Team. I'm glad you asked so I can learn also.

Same here. I also workout fr online videos with my 16 and 20 lb dumbbells at home. I want to gain muscles and get out of this dieting concept which has followed me whole my life! I'm feeling myself much active and looking forward for results but i'll stay at my tdee for this winters i guess!
  • empressichel
    empressichel Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @ibtmas
    Bulking is totally optional!
    Never feel like you have to do something you are not comfortable with or have to do what 'everyone' else is doing!
    Your life. Your rules.
    Most will never do bulk cycles. Eating at maintenance while hitting protein and strength training will do wonders for body recomposition.
    Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an event where a certain level of BF% is needed, or a show where max muscle is desired, or a competition where max strength is needed - the calendar is totally up to your goals.

If you have reached desired BF% that is usually at lower end of healthy range (so rather lean), then a bulk to purposely eat in surplus to gain muscle and some fat (always in combo) is merely on your terms of what you can take, and what your strength training plan allows.

If you have ability to have a really great lifting schedule, then a bigger faster bulk can have you gaining muscle faster, then when BF% reaches top level you've decided on, you start the cut diet again.
    Or perhaps you can't take fast fat gain, so increase of only 250 more daily may be better.

Once at goal BF% again, you decide how long to maintain (and through that loss probably had maintenance weeks anyway) to get body totally healthy and ready to go again.

Then bulk again.

Repeat as desired - during some bulks you may totally focus on certain areas to gain more muscle there.

As you might discern - this is a yearly calendar, because if you only gain 1 lb every 1-2 weeks, it can take awhile for BF% to go up with a good lifting program, and of course the cut takes awhile too.
  • brileylmt
    brileylmt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    @ibtmas @misskitty0816 we must all have the same line of thought. If I was thinking of the next question I wanted to ask, one of you asked it. I'm glad that you have joined in on this thread so I can get your thoughts as well. I plan on taking my time with this process and will continue to eat at maintenance and continue to strength train. I may do a bulk at some point but if I can do body recomp while eating TDEE and weightlifting, I just may stick with that. I have been reading the reviews on the Cathe STS videos that are recommended by EM2WL. I just may put that on my wish list for hubby to buy me.
  • empressichel
    Options
    @beverlyriley900
    STS is great! I highly recommend!
  • TerezaToledo
    TerezaToledo Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    @beverlyriley900 That's the spirit! No rush, take your time, this is YOUR life, not a contest! Eating at TDEE while lifting can do wonders for your body, even though it may take longer. But honestly, doesn't it feel like life goes by fast anyway?
    STS is an excellent choice, that's what I was doing when I bulked. If you watch the site, they offer some excellent deals every so often (up to 40/50% discounts) - black Friday is coming! That's how I got mine.

Keep it simple, real and consistent!

Tereza
    Team EM2Wl
  • ibtmas
    Options
    @ibtmas @misskitty0816 we must all have the same line of thought. If I was thinking of the next question I wanted to ask, one of you asked it. I'm glad that you have joined in on this thread so I can get your thoughts as well. I plan on taking my time with this process and will continue to eat at maintenance and continue to strength train. I may do a bulk at some point but if I can do body recomp while eating TDEE and weightlifting, I just may stick with that. I have been reading the reviews on the Cathe STS videos that are recommended by EM2WL. I just may put that on my wish list for hubby to buy me.

Thats true. @beverlyriley900 we r a community and all under one roof. I hope we all get the satisfaction of joining in with the help of awesome guidance here. I feel free questioning myself however lame it would be :# thanx for tolerating us @TerezaToledo @empressichel @heybales @Raynn1
  • empressichel
    Options
    ibtmas wrote: »

Thats true. @beverlyriley900 we r a community and all under one roof. I hope we all get the satisfaction of joining in with the help of awesome guidance here. I feel free questioning myself however lame it would be :# thanx for tolerating us @TerezaToledo @empressichel @heybales @Raynn1

Not toleration at all! I love being here and you guys ask awesome questions!
    I'm just paying it forward the way others did for me
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    @ibtmas We are here to help! Paying it forward is the name of the game, just like Ichel said ;)

Tereza
    Team EM2WL
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a lame question:) We answer everything:)
    Kelly
  • brileylmt
    Options
    I have been feeling much better over all. I have been working out 3 times a week. I am ready to bump that up. I will be continuing with Hammer & Chisel for awhile longer. I will look at Cathe F workouts closer to the holidays for a gift for myself. I will be increasing the workouts to 5-6 days a week. After the first week, if I hit that number and plan on continuing with that many workouts, I will be increasing TDEE to the amount needed for the increase in workouts. Not too much of an increase if you think about it, only 300 more calories a day. I'll take the next week and see just how much time the videos add up to be a week. I am really liking the eating enough to feel satisfied all day and doing body recomposition.
  • brileylmt
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My headaches/neck pain has been doing so much better I stopped taking my mega doses of anti inflammatory meds. Did a new workout yesterday. I woke up about 20 minutes ago thinking I would jump out of bed and hit it again then.....DOMS
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    You are doing amazing! Love to hear about less pain! DOMS is sneaky for sure. The funny thing about it is that when we din't get it as much we start to wonder whta is wrong and why we are not getting it, lol. Yea, keep checking on Cathe's deals. Usually there are deep bkack Friday discounts and you add the regular coupon for buying more than one item.

Tereza
    Moderator and Team EM2WL Member
  • brileylmt
    Options
    Thanks. I have her webpage marked and I keep checking it. I have been eyeing her STS video package. It is 40 workouts it I remember right.
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You are doing amazing! Love to hear about less pain! DOMS is sneaky for sure. The funny thing about it is that when we din't get it as much we start to wonder whta is wrong and why we are not getting it, lol. Yea, keep checking on Cathe's deals. Usually there are deep bkack Friday discounts and you add the regular coupon for buying more than one item.

Tereza
    Moderator and Team EM2WL Member

Hi Teresa,
    Just a question on this. I'm Australian and we don't have "Black Friday"! When is this - the date? I guess it's a Friday, but when?
    Thanks
  • empressichel
    Options
    Hey @zanyzana
    I didn't know either! (UK here) I thought it was the end of November but this explains it perfectly!

November 25, 2016
    This year Black Friday lands on November 25, 2016. Black Friday is always the day following Thanksgiving Day which is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. Black Friday typically signals the beginning of the holiday shopping season.

Ichel
    EM2WL ambassador and moderator
  • TerezaToledo
    Options
    Ichel said it right! Lately the deals start even before the date, so it's good to keep an eye through that week.

Tereza
    EM2WL Moderator and Team Member
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It is supposed to be the biggest shopping day of the year!