The Obesity Code and Radical Acceptance

Options
Roseygirl1
Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
Ok, so I just finished the book THE OBESITY CODE, and some things kind of hit me hard. Here are some of the things I concluded that I find sobering in my situation.

1. I have insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome from years of disorder, which include overweight, a high carb diet, sugar, repeated low fat dieting, stress and illness (cortisol) and poor sleep.
2. The fact that this is a chronic condition means it is unlikely I will be able to drop weight quickly the way I did when I was younger.
3. Stress is an important factor to address.
4. When to eat (fasting) is as important as what to eat (non-insulin stimulating meals)

So what hit home to me is that I need to think of my journey as one of healing as much, if not more than, one of weight loss.

So what actions and attitudes will foster long-term patient and persistent attempts to heal this metabolic problem?

1. Radical acceptance and graceful action: I have chronic stress from having two adult children with special needs, plus aging parents I care for, blah blah blah. It just is. So I need to think every morning about the things *I* need to keep my equilibrium and equanimity so that I can nurture a healthier internal state for my precious body. Things I KNOW help me: outdoor walks, dance classes, massage (heavenly!) and meditation. Excessive preoccupation with food and effortful dieting are stressful. So approaching a lowcab/high fat diet with some degree of grace and ease is necessary.
2. Choosing foods that do not stimulate harmful excessive insulin release. (More fiber, moderate protein, good fats)
3. Spending less time eating (intermittent fasting).
4. Building muscle and (given my high stress state) taking care with high intensity exercise, itself a stressor.
5. Being very patient with weight loss at this point in time.
6. I need to work on better sleep.

It was kind of discouraging, but the bottom line is reading it made me disconnect the behaviors I need to cultivate from the results that I seek. In other words, I can't get too focused on the scale, since the changes are going to be slow and THIS time, I have to run the race like a tortoise, not a hare.

Thoughtful comments are appreciated.

Rosey

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great book, I'll have to check it out. It sounds like you've found a new path in life to start venturing down! Keep educating yourself on the topics you mentioned, I find it helps fuel my journey when I hit rough spots. Best of luck!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Wow, sounds wonderful. Can the metabolic disorder created from being overweight for so long be cured, or is this truly a disability that we all have to live with and manage now? I am pre-diabetic so I'm now wondering since we've proven LCHF and Keto both cure T2 diabeties, what about the damage done to our metabolism? Is that permanent?
  • Cyndi146
    Cyndi146 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I love this. I'm really trying to focus on healing rather than weightloss too. I have set a few "weight" goals for myself. One was for my birthday this week and I didn't hit it. I'm not down though which is huge for me. Being overweight for most of my life has made the scale such an idol. This week I reminded myself that I'm in this for the long haul and that my health is improving daily. Maybe I'll grab a copy of this book. Thank you for your post.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post @Roseygirl1. Whenever I purchase a lchf book, I like to view the author(s) lecturing about their topics as well. Hearing it in their own words reinforces what I have just finished reading. I agree with above who said to watch his lectures on YouTube or dietdoctor.com. I think you will gain even more insight. Good luck with your journey back to health.
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Wow, sounds wonderful. Can the metabolic disorder created from being overweight for so long be cured, or is this truly a disability that we all have to live with and manage now? I am pre-diabetic so I'm now wondering since we've proven LCHF and Keto both cure T2 diabeties, what about the damage done to our metabolism? Is that permanent?

Here's something to chew on...

It seems that becoming overweight is actually CAUSED by the metabolic disorder. Not the other way around.
    So, cure the metabolic disorder and the weight will naturally normalize.

This is why focusing on health instead of simply losing weight is much more effective. It's not the weight that is the problem. It's the metabolic disorder that is the problem. The weight is nothing more than a symptom.

So how do you go about curing this disorder then? Or is it cured when people start exercising and eating better with a goal to lose weight, but inadvertently cure this disorder which in turn causes weight loss? I don't know much about metabolic disorders so I am lost on this subject.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Dr. Fung's book is what got me started on LCHF and IF. His meta-analysis of studies on exercise, calorie restriction, starvation, SAD, LCHF, blood sugar, IR, cortisol, etc., gave me the 180 I needed to stop blaming myself and looking at what I needed to do to heal my body. He explains things in such basic language that my DH, who has no medical background, could understand it. His sense of humor cracked me up a few times while reading it, too.

Someone posted a link to a study that challenges 12 points of modern medicine about why LCHF should be used rather than the current ADA recommendations for diet that was quite interesting, but I can't find the link. Hopefully that person will see this and post it again. :)

There is also another article that was posted about a study that showed the Islets of Langerhans become filled with fat as the liver becomes fatty and continues to make fat, transporting it to other organs. This seems to be the point where a person goes from IR and high insulin to diabetes. Where do I hide these links, lol. Perhaps that person who posted it might see this and post the link again. :o

Anyway, I just can relate so much to this entire situation, and it makes me angry that I let myself be bullied out of eating low carb 15 years ago and regained 80 pounds plus as a result. Oops, calming thoughts, ooommmm, ooommm. Can't let the cortisol spike. >:) Bad, bad cortisol!
  • Sarahb29
    Options
    Great explanation, thanks @Sunny_Bunny_ !
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Roseygirl1 wrote: »
    Excessive preoccupation with food and effortful dieting are stressful. So approaching a lowcab/high fat diet with some degree of grace and ease is necessary.

I love your whole post, but especially this sentiment! I have trouble forgiving myself when I splurge on something silly like more peanut butter than I'd ordinarily eat, and I know that I need to get over that. I'm "keto for life", and there will be extra peanut butter or cashews or what have you in my future.

I also love your attitude towards this whole journey. We are healing ourselves and setting ourselves up to avoid many of the major diseases of modern society. And we get to eat bacon while we do it :smiley:

I read the book too, and it inspired me to incorporate IF as well. The video that @Foamroller shared is great too.

If you haven't already read them, you might enjoy Gary Taubes' books - Why We Get Fat and Good Calories, Bad Calories. The sentiment in Why We Get Fat - "We don't gain weight because we overeat, we overeat because we are gaining weight," was HUGE for me. It made me cry. Reading a nutrition book. Crazy. :blush:

• kolsonsmamaw1
    kolsonsmamaw1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've really enjoyed these posts. Thanks everybody for your part. I have done very well so far with this WOE but my goal like others have said is to get my health back. I'm not looking to reach a certain weight loss goal by a certain time. I am right now having a huge problem walking, sleeping, or even sitting comfortably because of the inflammation in my body. This is the first time since starting On July 5th that I've had such a severe flair up. It would be worth every sacrifice to be strong one day. The weight loss will come and that's gonna bring great relief to my pain but as I'm pressing on I gotta figure out what I need to do to put out this fire that is all consuming me.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    There's a lot I like from what you posted about the book. I especially like the focus on healing over weight loss, as the weight loss will follow the healing.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm pretty happy right now! I just did my first blood sugar monitoring, and my 2 hour post-dinner blood sugar was 98! This on a day when my total calories were about 1200, net carbs 20, and pretty much a 4 hour eating window. AND I'M NOT HUNGRY!!!!! This is a fabulous start and very encouraging. Thank you everybody for all the great suggestions!

Rosey

Awesome!!!!
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Wow, I'm pretty happy right now! I just did my first blood sugar monitoring, and my 2 hour post-dinner blood sugar was 98! This on a day when my total calories were about 1200, net carbs 20, and pretty much a 4 hour eating window. AND I'M NOT HUNGRY!!!!! This is a fabulous start and very encouraging. Thank you everybody for all the great suggestions!

Rosey

Congrats! I'm so happy for your success and hopefully you'll be able to push back prediabetes!

Re lack of hunger: I've seen several places recently claims that BHB ketones are appetite supressing (Keto and cancer researcher Dom D'Agostino) Well...fasting elevates ketones! I know it sounds counterintuitive: The less frequently I eat, the less perceived hunger. But if BHB really surpresses appetite, then the lack of hunger makes sense. I don't know when or at which levels this occurs, though.

So your experience mirror my own. BUT, for those who struggle limiting meals or snacking (I'm looking at you late night snack monster): in the transition in training the body that you will no longer feed it like a pet, aka when it's used to...There is some growling for 10 mins or so or an acid sting in the tummy. This is the point in time I usually drink some pickle juice ;)

Btw I do not think everyone should do IF. It's a tool for those of us who have insulin resistance, are diabetic, fighting off cancer or have autoimmune issues. It's just a tool in the toolbox and if someone achieves results without IF, then good for them!

Edit: expanded a bit.