Pumpkin season may be the death of me...

Options
Brigit723
Brigit723 Posts: 58 Member
Help please! I love pumpkin...not just the silly pumpkin spice everything but actual pumpkin. Every year at this time, my house is full of pumpkin-y deliciousness that usually includes pasta/bread/etc. I'm ok with missing those things, I can handle that. My downfall is the sweet pumpkin stuff. I have resisted so far but I am worried. I know SF Jello is one of those mostly considered a no-no food but some eat it on keto and are fine. I recently have done so and it is not working out for me. I need to know if any of you have keto approved pumpkin recipes. I can use Stevia, I don't need something that has a lot of sweet to it so it would be minimal. Problem is, I am allergic to coconut and everything I find has either coconut oil, flour, or milk in it. Being allergic, I have no experience with it and I don't know what I could possibly substitute without screwing up the recipes. :/ I am powering through the cravings and intend to do so but I'd like to have a back up in place rather than run the risk of eating something terrible. Thoughts? Ideas?

Replies

• Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Google low carb pumpkin dessert recipes. Sift through the recipes to find one that sounds good to you and doesn't have any coconut things in it. The first thing that pops up on mine is low carb pumpkin cheesecake mousse which sounds amazing. No coconut anything in that.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin chia pudding. I made it pre-LCHF, so tweaking would be necessary, but it's awesome.

1/2c pumpkin
    1/2c almond milk
    2-3TBSP chia
    1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    sweetener of choice (I used to used 2TBSP maple syrup...haven't made it LC yet)

With maple syrup it was 300 cal, 12 fat, 8 protein, 45 grams carbs (but 27 of that is the maple syrup) and 17 grams fiber. So with no syrup you're looking at very low net carbs if that's the way you count.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    You can replace coconut oil with another oil and coconut milk with a different milk. Coconut flour you can't replace without changing the entire recipe because it absorbs so much liquid but I'm sure you can find tons of pumpkin recipes with almond flour!
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I do pumpkin smoothies at this time of the year. The recipe changes depending on what liquid I have in the house or if I want to add Greek yougurt or heavy cream, but my current recipe is:

1 cup almond milk plain unsweet
    1/2 scoop LC protein powder, vanilla
    1/4 c canned or cooked pumpkin
    Spices (this varies too - just use "pumpkin pie spice", if you don't have that, use a little cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves)
    Lots of ice

Blend all adding ice till it's the consistency you like, add a straw. :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Here's a paleo site that has some pumpkin recipes with almond flour:

https://elanaspantry.com/pumpkin-recipes/
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I put pumpkin pie spice in my decaf coffee grounds (before brewing) off and on all year long and use stevia to sweeten it. Tasty stuff. Satisfying to me. I also like an occasional decaf with 100% cocoa powder (in the grounds before brewing) and/or cinnamon (in the grounds before brewing).

One of my new "go to" foods is mascarpone cheese. It has a little better fat to protein/carb ratio than cream cheese. And it is a tad sweeter, as is. I'm thinking a little pumpkin pie spice or actual 100% pumpkin puree (if your macros allow for the carbs) might be tasty and oh so creamy good.

When I was eating higher carbs, I frequently enjoyed plain Greek yogurt with 100% pumpkin puree, some pumpkin pie spice (or just cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves) and some sweetener.

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I see pumpkin cheesecake shared a lot. Looks delicious. There are a million but this one sounds amazing http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2010/11/pumpkin-bourbon-cheesecake-with-spiced-pecan-crust-low-carb-and-gluten-free.html
  • Brigit723
    Options
    @Cadori That sounds great, I will definitely try it, thank you! @anglyn1 - I have searched and searched lol I've found some but it seems the recipes I'm most interested in don't have an almond flour version that I can find. @JessicaLCHF that sounds delicious, thank you! @tcunbeliever Awesome! Thanks! @kpk54 Yep, I've done the coffee that way, it is great. I totally didn't think of marscarpone, thank you!!
  • Brigit723
    Options
    @auntstephie321 omg...with bourbon...YES!!!
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I put pumpkin pie spice in my decaf coffee grounds (before brewing) off and on all year long and use stevia to sweeten it. Tasty stuff. Satisfying to me. I also like an occasional decaf with 100% cocoa powder (in the grounds before brewing) and/or cinnamon (in the grounds before brewing).

One of my new "go to" foods is mascarpone cheese. It has a little better fat to protein/carb ratio than cream cheese. And it is a tad sweeter, as is. I'm thinking a little pumpkin pie spice or actual 100% pumpkin puree (if your macros allow for the carbs) might be tasty and oh so creamy good.

When I was eating higher carbs, I frequently enjoyed plain Greek yogurt with 100% pumpkin puree, some pumpkin pie spice (or just cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves) and some sweetener.

Yum to all! I frequently half a half cup Greek full fat yogurt for Bfast. I'll def try that. Maybe add pecans...
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I love everything pumpkin! Go on Pinterest and search for low carb pumpkin, you'll find a LOT of recipes. I just make a batch of low carb pumpkin pancakes last weekend and they turned out great! I made a cream cheese "frosting" for them too so they ended up tasting like those pumpkin spice muffins. For the frosting I just microwaved 2 tbsps of cream cheese with some sugar free sweetener, stirred it and spread it on the pancakes.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    One of my new "go to" foods is mascarpone cheese. It has a little better fat to protein/carb ratio than cream cheese. And it is a tad sweeter, as is.

AWESOME tip!!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

@kpk54 Your earlier post on mascarpone cheese prompted me to purchase some but I haven't tried it yet. I'm all about pumpkin so this is going to be on my list to make sometime this week! Thanks!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, not to traumatize anyone, but there is great debate as to what is actually in that can of 100% pumpkin. Most of it seems to be a different "variety" of pumpkin that may or may not be the traditionally expected pumpkin.

Fun snopes article. http://www.snopes.com/canned-pumpkin-isnt-actually-pumpkin/

But really, squash or pumpkin, as long as it's all still low carb, do we care?
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I've been making pumpkin spice coffee with HWC and liquid vanilla stevia. I often use coconut oil instead or a mix of the two. I know this won't be of interest to @Brigit723 but it may be to others. I froth it up by mixing it in my blender at high speed. It's not Starbuck's PSL but I suspect that if I had a Starbuck's one now, I would find it sickeningly sweet!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Oh, and as a mental note for anyone attempting the Pumpkin Pecan Soul Bread (without the Pecan for me...)...

http://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-soul-bread-recipes/
    1. do not misread the baking powder as TBSP...it says tsps. If you do, you will triple what you need - and make your recipe somewhat salty.
    2. do not compound the issue by then calculating out the equivalent of sugar - and accidentally only add half of what you need...

Because you will end up with a salty and dry but kinda oddly-moist concoction that is better suited to bread pudding, stuffing, or sandwich bread - slightly sweet, but far more savory... Still kind of lightly pumpkin-y, but I added sweetened heavy cream with a dab of pumpkin this AM, cut it up diced style, and at it like cornbread and milk in a cup...and it still had that salty/savory edge to it... Lots left, so not sure what I"m going to do with it all...
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    Stuffing?
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Most things Pumpkin Spiced Latte don't have actual pumpkin in them, it's a 4:2:1:1 ratio of cinnamon:nutmeg:ginger:cloves. Some pumpkin pie spice blends use allspice instead of or in addition to these ingredients. I can't stand allspice personally, so the other combo is good for me, myself.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Stuffing?

@JessicanLCHF I thought about dicing it up into small cubes and drying it out in the oven to use as the base for dressing/stuffing ala Thanksgiving Turkey style. I know there was recipe around that used Almond Flour muffins or something folks shared last year. It's got enough flavor, I think it would be good in that.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Just FYI, not to traumatize anyone, but there is great debate as to what is actually in that can of 100% pumpkin. Most of it seems to be a different "variety" of pumpkin that may or may not be the traditionally expected pumpkin.

Fun snopes article. http://www.snopes.com/canned-pumpkin-isnt-actually-pumpkin/

But really, squash or pumpkin, as long as it's all still low carb, do we care?

Not reading the article, but I believe you. I'm not as sure about the cans, but my issue is that an actual pumpkin has small amounts of carbs that add up quickly. In fact, I have a recipe for a pumpkin soup on my fridge right now... I haven't gone out to get a pumpkin and make the recipe because I looked up how many carbs are in pumpkin and don't think I can handle it. Either that, or I make a pumpkin soup and don't very much. :(