Pumpkin season may be the death of me...

Options

Replies

• ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I found a sugar free pumpkin spice creamer by International Delights at walmart. it has only 1 carb. pumpkin isnt off limits.
    heres a recipe for low carb pumpkin pie!!
    http://the-lowcarb-diet.com/low-carb-pumpkin-pie/
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    OMG pumpkin soul bread loaded with lots of butter :drools:

I know, right @auntstephie321?! ;)
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I put pumpkin pie spice in my decaf coffee grounds (before brewing) off and on all year long and use stevia to sweeten it. Tasty stuff. Satisfying to me. I also like an occasional decaf with 100% cocoa powder (in the grounds before brewing) and/or cinnamon (in the grounds before brewing).

One of my new "go to" foods is mascarpone cheese. It has a little better fat to protein/carb ratio than cream cheese. And it is a tad sweeter, as is. I'm thinking a little pumpkin pie spice or actual 100% pumpkin puree (if your macros allow for the carbs) might be tasty and oh so creamy good.

When I was eating higher carbs, I frequently enjoyed plain Greek yogurt with 100% pumpkin puree, some pumpkin pie spice (or just cinnamon/nutmeg/cloves) and some sweetener.

@kpk54 Two tubs of Mascarpone were marked down to $1.29 at the grocery store last night so I snatched them both up (they're still a month away from their sell by date). Thanks for the tip!! Now...what to make with them....
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I found a sugar free pumpkin spice creamer by International Delights at walmart. it has only 1 carb. pumpkin isnt off limits.

Ugh it must be a wal-mart exclusive thing, I didn't see it at Fred Meyers and can't find it on Amazon.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Cadori I eat it straight out of the tub. Plain. <3 Oops.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    @Cadori I eat it straight out of the tub. Plain. <3 Oops.

@kpk54 Sounds good to me!!
  • ominousdusk
    ominousdusk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

Ugh it must be a wal-mart exclusive thing, I didn't see it at Fred Meyers and can't find it on Amazon.

https://www.internationaldelight.com/where-to-buy you can put in your zip code here and choose "seasonal creamer > pumpkin pie spice" and it will show you where you can get it. Around me it's all walmarts and theres one Stop and Shop so you might be right
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I actually made this recipe last year:
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/11/low-carb-gluten-free-pumpkin-cheesecake.html

It was okay. The texture was more of a mousse than a cheesecake. Instead of 2 cups of pumpkin, this time I would do 1/2 cup pumpkin and add another brick of cream cheese.
    Also I used Splenda at the time. This time I would use swerve.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    http://gpinzone.blogspot.com/2014/10/low-carb-old-fashioned-pumpkin-ice-cream.html

The only changes I made to this recipe are as follows:

(1) used 1/2 HWC and 1/2 unsweetend cashew milk instead of coconut milk;
    (2) used whole eggs instead of just the yolks because I wanted more protein in my ice cream;
    (3) used yacon syrup instead of blackstrap molasses (yacon syrup is lower in carbs and sugars but still gives the same flavor and color to a recipe that molasses does);
    (4) used 40 drops liquid sucralose in the sweet cream base instead of 21 because it just wasn't sweet enough;
    (5) added 2 scoops SDC Nutrition Brand About Time Pumpkin Spice Latte flavored whey protein powder because I wanted more protein in my ice cream;
    (6) used 8 ounces pumpkin puree instead of 7 because I didn't want to have one lonely little ounce floating around out there afterwards to mess around with later; and
    (7) added 2 Tablespoons (1 ounce) vodka near the end of the churning cycle to reduce iciness.

OMG!!!! It turned out SO darned good!!!!
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I just found sugar free PS creamer at the store and had to pick up a bottle. I have put PS seasoning in my coffee grounds and it was really good, especially after adding some cream and stevia.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

https://www.internationaldelight.com/where-to-buy you can put in your zip code here and choose "seasonal creamer > pumpkin pie spice" and it will show you where you can get it. Around me it's all walmarts and theres one Stop and Shop so you might be right

Thanks, found one at a Freds about 10 mins away! It's frustrating when one chain carries different items in each of their stores. Turns out the one almost right by my apartment just doesn't carry it for some reason.
  • Brigit723
    Brigit723 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just took a LC pumpkin pie out of the oven. It smells sooooooOOOOO good. I tasted the batter before baking and it was good. I just hope that the crust turned out (it was my own creation) and the filling didn't change flavor while cooking.

It's going to take too long to cool so I won't even get to try it tonight. I can't wait..... Maybe I'll have a slice for breakfast!

Let us know how it turned out and your recipe! :)
  • CarrieDarling108
    CarrieDarling108 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you're the type of person that could have a drink for dessert. But, I've been having a real hankering for the pumpkin spice coffee this year so I decided to do pumpkin tea with heavy cream and stevia it's really decadent and is almost like a dessert because it's super creamy and it shouldn't have too many carbs if it's just stevia. Just a thought let me know how it works out
  • silverfiend
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Brigit723 wrote: »
    I just took a LC pumpkin pie out of the oven. It smells sooooooOOOOO good. I tasted the batter before baking and it was good. I just hope that the crust turned out (it was my own creation) and the filling didn't change flavor while cooking.

It's going to take too long to cool so I won't even get to try it tonight. I can't wait..... Maybe I'll have a slice for breakfast!

Let us know how it turned out and your recipe! :)

OMG, it's awesome! I can't even tell it's not a normal pie. Someone posted the recipe link earlier, but it's this one: http://the-lowcarb-diet.com/low-carb-pumpkin-pie/

I did change some things, so I'll just put it all here.....

Heat oven to 350

1 cup almond flour
    1 cup carbalose flour
    1/4 cup hazelnut meal (for a bit of nuttiness, I like in my crusts)
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 Tbsp sweetner
    3 Tbsp salted butter (I think it may need a little more since I added carbalose)
    1 egg

Mix all ingredients into a dough, press into a 9 inch pie plate and bake for 10 minutes (I added a few extra minutes)

Filling
    2 cups pumpkin puree (1 can)
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 cup sweetener
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon pumpkin spice
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs

Beat eggs together well, add other ingredients mixing well after each. Pour into pie crust, then bake for 50 minutes, or until it passes the toothpick test. Cool completely, then enjoy!

ETA- my calculations show that when cut into 8 slices, each one would have 9.4 grams of net carbs, 28.7 grams of fat, 11.2 grams of protein, and 324 calories.
  • Brigit723
    Brigit723 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    @silverfiend Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Finally did the nutrition analysis on my favorite pumpkin soup recipe, so here goes:

6 cups chicken broth
    1 can pumpkin puree (15 oz.)
    1 Tbsp dried minced onion
    3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    6 oz. beer

Heat the chicken broth, pumpkin and onion in a stock pot over medium heat, and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the cheddar cheese, then gently stir in the beer. Makes 9 one-cup servings. Each serving has 189 calories, 10g protein, 13g fat, 7g carbohydrate, and approx. 990g sodium (depending on the chicken broth you use).
  • ruffneck813
    ruffneck813 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    MyriiStorm wrote: »
    Finally did the nutrition analysis on my favorite pumpkin soup recipe, so here goes:
    I am definitely trying this when I get home. It looks simple enough for me to make. Thanks for sharing!
  • silverfiend
    Options
    is that net carbs or total?
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    is that net carbs or total?

Total. :)