Pumpkin season may be the death of me...

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Is it one of these?

http://www.ruled.me/spiced-pumpkin-soup/
    http://www.wickedstuffed.com/keto-recipes/low-carb-pumpkin-soup-recipe-curry-coconut/
    http://www.lowcarbsosimple.com/extra-creamy-cream-of-pumpkin-soup/

The middle one seems to have the lowest carb count, but then I read something in passing about apples in the bowl??

The top one appeals to me most... The last one seems the carb heaviest... And those are just the top 3 Google recommended...
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Just FYI, not to traumatize anyone, but there is great debate as to what is actually in that can of 100% pumpkin. Most of it seems to be a different "variety" of pumpkin that may or may not be the traditionally expected pumpkin.

Fun snopes article. http://www.snopes.com/canned-pumpkin-isnt-actually-pumpkin/

But really, squash or pumpkin, as long as it's all still low carb, do we care?

Lol of course (didn't read it) but you do never know what thy might be buying. Easy enough to pick up a pumpkin or squash and roast at home. I end up with so much extra to freeze when using a real pumpkin.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Annnnnd I just got my Trader Joe's pumpkin flyer... :bawling:
  • Christinaluvly
    Christinaluvly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have been on the hunt as well for a low carb pumpkin option. I do put a SF pumpkin spice creamer in my coffee every morning, and I also light my pumpkin spice candle at night, but it is not curbing the craving entirely. I have gotten so many good ideas from this post! Pumpkin cheesecake sounds amazing!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @genmon00 posted this yesterday!

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dessert/dessert-other-dessert/low-carb-pumpkin-cheesecake-bars.htm

Looks so far beyond delicious! Supposed to taste just like the inside of a pumpkin pie. Done with a nut or coconut flour crust (or crustless)... *drools* I might just survive the holidays yet!
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

http://www.wickedstuffed.com/keto-recipes/low-carb-pumpkin-soup-recipe-curry-coconut/

The middle one seems to have the lowest carb count, but then I read something in passing about apples in the bowl??

The top one appeals to me most... The last one seems the carb heaviest... And those are just the top 3 Google recommended...

The ruled.me one sounds fantastic. I bet you could cut down on the carb count by removing the onions. 1 cup of soup is not enough for me though, I'd probably eat at least half the batch! lol. I have 3 cans of pumpkin from Costco so I can't wait to start trying more of these new recipes with them.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

No, it isn't any of those. It was a card I got in a package ordered online from boxed.com. Will have to take a photo later, but no, it isn't intended to be low carb... just that pumpkin seems to be the highest carb ingredient otherwise.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm looking forward to thanksgiving! Of course I can eat most thanksgiving items such as ham (I'm doing the ham with DIET DR PEPPER this year, instead of the sugar laden ham glaze i usually make), deep fried turkey, regular turkey, I'm making deviled eggs (to sub for potato salad), mashed cauliflower, and maybe green bean casserole if I can find a lc version. I will miss the bread but i think its a great spread :)
  • Brigit723
    Brigit723 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    @genmon00 if you make a basic roux with whatever flour you can use, butter, and unsweetened pea milk then most of the carbs will be from the beans and mushrooms (and onions if you use them)
  • Brigit723
    Options
    Just FYI, not to traumatize anyone, but there is great debate as to what is actually in that can of 100% pumpkin. Most of it seems to be a different "variety" of pumpkin that may or may not be the traditionally expected pumpkin.

Fun snopes article. http://www.snopes.com/canned-pumpkin-isnt-actually-pumpkin/

But really, squash or pumpkin, as long as it's all still low carb, do we care?

Not reading the article, but I believe you. I'm not as sure about the cans, but my issue is that an actual pumpkin has small amounts of carbs that add up quickly. In fact, I have a recipe for a pumpkin soup on my fridge right now... I haven't gone out to get a pumpkin and make the recipe because I looked up how many carbs are in pumpkin and don't think I can handle it. Either that, or I make a pumpkin soup and don't very much. :(

The carbs are heavy, you just have to plan for it. Small portions of the soup as a side dish or make it so that all of your carbs that day come from the soup. It's a pain but I will definitely find a way, I love it too much not to and other than the carbs pumpkin is very healthy.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @Brigit723

Pumpkin doesn't tempt me however just wanted you to know that someone else shares your "coconut" allergies, ppl in this forum in general eat coconut often--but for me it would mean instant launch of hives, rash, throat closing. Isn't "Anaphylaxis" fun :s:o:s

GL finding recipes you can enjoy!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Most things Pumpkin Spiced Latte don't have actual pumpkin in them, it's a 4:2:1:1 ratio of cinnamon:nutmeg:ginger:cloves. Some pumpkin pie spice blends use allspice instead of or in addition to these ingredients. I can't stand allspice personally, so the other combo is good for me, myself.

Funny thing though, the only pumpkin pie flavoured thing I like is Tim Horton's Pumpkin Spice Tea (Rooibos, chamomile, black pepper, cinnamon, 'natural & artificial flavours', licorice root).
    Sounds like an unlikely combination, but not as sweet as the usual 'pumpkin flavoured drinks' and the black pepper is essential to this blend. Licorice root sweetens it just enough for me.

I do like savoury pumpkin recipes (ie from India and Africa - stews).
    This one would probably be good with low carb wraps used instead of tortillas - haven't tried that though.
    bhg.com/recipe/pumpkin-tortilla-casserole-with-chicken/#page=0
    or this one ditching the carrot, subbing heavy cream and topping with crumbled blue cheese.
    bhg.com/recipe/soups/curry-pumpkin-soup/#page=0
    Pumpkin pesto or dip.... ditch the honey or add a tad of sweetener if you need it. Amazing with creamy goat cheese instead of Parm. Good as a dip for shrimp w/o the honey. bhg.com/recipe/pumpkin-pesto/#page=0
  • Brigit723
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    @Brigit723

Pumpkin doesn't tempt me however just wanted you to know that someone else shares your "coconut" allergies, ppl in this forum in general eat coconut often--but for me it would mean instant launch of hives, rash, throat closing. Isn't "Anaphylaxis" fun :s:o:s

GL finding recipes you can enjoy!

Always glad to know someone else with this insanely weird allergy. So much fun. I can't even touch the stuff without a reaction, let alone eat it. Makes restaurants extra fun too, they love it when I question their cooking methods.
  • Brigit723
    edited September 2016
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Most things Pumpkin Spiced Latte don't have actual pumpkin in them, it's a 4:2:1:1 ratio of cinnamon:nutmeg:ginger:cloves. Some pumpkin pie spice blends use allspice instead of or in addition to these ingredients. I can't stand allspice personally, so the other combo is good for me, myself.

Funny thing though, the only pumpkin pie flavoured thing I like is Tim Horton's Pumpkin Spice Tea (Rooibos, chamomile, black pepper, cinnamon, 'natural & artificial flavours', licorice root).
    Sounds like an unlikely combination, but not as sweet as the usual 'pumpkin flavoured drinks' and the black pepper is essential to this blend. Licorice root sweetens it just enough for me.

I do like savoury pumpkin recipes (ie from India and Africa - stews).
    This one would probably be good with low carb wraps used instead of tortillas - haven't tried that though.
    bhg.com/recipe/pumpkin-tortilla-casserole-with-chicken/#page=0
    or this one ditching the carrot, subbing heavy cream and topping with crumbled blue cheese.
    bhg.com/recipe/soups/curry-pumpkin-soup/#page=0
    Pumpkin pesto or dip.... ditch the honey or add a tad of sweetener if you need it. Amazing with creamy goat cheese instead of Parm. Good as a dip for shrimp w/o the honey. bhg.com/recipe/pumpkin-pesto/#page=0

I love it all, savory, sweet, plain and straight out of the oven lol
    I really like the tortilla casserole one, will have to tweak that. Thank you for sharing!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Oh, and as a mental note for anyone attempting the Pumpkin Pecan Soul Bread (without the Pecan for me...)...

http://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-soul-bread-recipes/
    1. do not misread the baking powder as TBSP...it says tsps. If you do, you will triple what you need - and make your recipe somewhat salty.
    2. do not compound the issue by then calculating out the equivalent of sugar - and accidentally only add half of what you need...

Because you will end up with a salty and dry but kinda oddly-moist concoction that is better suited to bread pudding, stuffing, or sandwich bread - slightly sweet, but far more savory... Still kind of lightly pumpkin-y, but I added sweetened heavy cream with a dab of pumpkin this AM, cut it up diced style, and at it like cornbread and milk in a cup...and it still had that salty/savory edge to it... Lots left, so not sure what I"m going to do with it all...

Oh No @KnitOrMiss ...so sorry to hear that your attempt at the pumpkin version of Soul Bread didn't turn out so well!!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Oh, and as a mental note for anyone attempting the Pumpkin Pecan Soul Bread (without the Pecan for me...)...

http://lowcarbediem.com/low-carb-soul-bread-recipes/
    1. do not misread the baking powder as TBSP...it says tsps. If you do, you will triple what you need - and make your recipe somewhat salty.
    2. do not compound the issue by then calculating out the equivalent of sugar - and accidentally only add half of what you need...

Because you will end up with a salty and dry but kinda oddly-moist concoction that is better suited to bread pudding, stuffing, or sandwich bread - slightly sweet, but far more savory... Still kind of lightly pumpkin-y, but I added sweetened heavy cream with a dab of pumpkin this AM, cut it up diced style, and at it like cornbread and milk in a cup...and it still had that salty/savory edge to it... Lots left, so not sure what I"m going to do with it all...

Oh No @KnitOrMiss ...so sorry to hear that your attempt at the pumpkin version of Soul Bread didn't turn out so well!!!!

@ladipoet - LOL, it's okay, it's growing on me...either that, or my flavor mix was done unevenly. LOLz
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet - LOL, it's okay, it's growing on me...either that, or my flavor mix was done unevenly. LOLz

I'm still working on finding the proper sweetness level of the pumpkin version. Also, as an aside, soul bread by it's very nature because of the whey protein powder will always be on the dry side; however, it does freeze and toast very well and the easiest way to address the dryness issue is just to put something on it like lots and lots of butter or cream cheese or no/low calorie jam, etc.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I love pumpkin stuff. I really do. My wife has bought so much of it, that it kills me to open my pantry. But, I don't go near it. I know it will be my downfall, if I allow even a little.
  • auntstephie321
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I love pumpkin stuff. I really do. My wife has bought so much of it, that it kills me to open my pantry. But, I don't go near it. I know it will be my downfall, if I allow even a little.

that's me with mellowcream pumpkins, as soon as I have the first one it snowballs out of control, I'm trying to stay strong but its still so early in the season

• auntstephie321
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »

I'm still working on finding the proper sweetness level of the pumpkin version. Also, as an aside, soul bread by it's very nature because of the whey protein powder will always be on the dry side; however, it does freeze and toast very well and the easiest way to address the dryness issue is just to put something on it like lots and lots of butter or cream cheese or no/low calorie jam, etc.

OMG pumpkin soul bread loaded with lots of butter :drools: