Start day??

Options

Replies

• lbenson2006
    lbenson2006 Posts: 3,372 Member
    Options
    All I can say is thank goodness I'm not on the advanced program! Lol.
    Today was kind of a weird day so I didn't get my usual workouts in. I ended up finally going downstairs after a late dinner and doing my best effort on our pull up machine (definitely like the gym one better) and doing my push ups (& plank for a different challenge). Tomorrow will be a little weird too but hopefully after work I can rush to the gym just to get the pull ups in. I plan on doing my early morning work out like normal.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did 3 sets of 10 with 50lbs of assistance. I think today I seem to be stuck there. I will take weight off today to see how I do!
  • lbenson2006
    Options
    Yesterday I did sets of 3, with 40 lbs assistance, and was able to complete 5 full sets, failing on the 6th set. Not sure yet which was my hardest day so I'm not sure which I'm repeating.
  • lbenson2006
    Options
    Yesterday I did sets of 3, with 40 lbs assistance, and was able to complete 5 full sets, failing on the 6th set. Not sure yet which was my hardest day so I'm not sure which I'm repeating.

My bad...was gonna do sets of 3 but had to change it down to 2. Forgot until I was going to transfer the #s from my scratch piece of paper to the actual form.
  • Raptorbh12
    Raptorbh12 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Man, yesterday I did 110 reps of shoulder press with just the bar (45lbs) to kick off.
    Then I jogged one mile.
    I then did bodyweight pull ups for 5 sets with one minute rest intervals.
    Set 1: 10 reps
    Set 2: 10 reps
    Set 3: 10 reps
    Set 4: 10 reps
    Set 5: 8 reps (to failure)

I then did a half mile sprint in 3:05. Still need to get this under 2:50.
    Ok ya'll...I kinda fell off last week and completely struggled with the first days Pull-up challenge. I don't fully understand the pyramid and I totally suck even with assisted pull up machine!! So I'm thinking maybe this challenge ge isn't for me? And it totally kills me to say that.....I hate to quit. Anyone have any suggestions or advice I'm willing to listen

I think your on the right track. The fact that you are physically struggling is good.
    As long as you don't give up, your meeting your goal for this challenge. Since this is an area you need to work on, its best to focus on it rather than avoid it.
    I personally suck at long distance running, so I begrudgingly do it to fight my natural tendencies to focus only on high intensity exercises.
  • lbenson2006
    Options
    Decided to do pyramid day as my hardest from the week. Stuck to the 40 lbs assistance and was able to successfully make it through the 3rd set and failed when attempting 4 but then when I tried the final max set, I could not even get myself up at all!! However, I did manage to complete 1 more than I did Tuesday!!
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    Well I did 4 sets today with just a resistance band. I am not sure how much weight it would be but not much! I was real shaky on my last set!!
  • lmbarreto
    lmbarreto Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Day 3
    Today wasn't easy, I started with 15lbs instead of 5 lbs. this was an ambitious attempt and didn't work out for me very well.

Set 1. two sets of 10 reps no weight and , one set of 10, one set of 11 and one set of 12 + 15 lbs (on all 3 sets). I got burned on the first set :(
    Set 2. two sets of 10 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 10 + 20lbs
    Set 3. two sets of 10 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 8 + 25lbs
    Set 4. two sets of 8 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 6 + 25 lbs
    Set 5. two sets of 6 reps no weight and , 1 set of 4 + 30 lbs, 2 sets of 3 + 25 lbs. I had to lower the weight, my arms went numb and I couldn't feel them anymore. I really struggled with sets 4 & 5. I need to master the 25lbs before increasing the weight again. Monday will be a better day.
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    Dude you are amazing.... not gonna lie I anxiously awaited your post :D
  • Raptorbh12
    Options
    lmbarreto wrote: »
    Day 3
    Today wasn't easy, I started with 15lbs instead of 5 lbs. this was an ambitious attempt and didn't work out for me very well.

Set 1. two sets of 10 reps no weight and , one set of 10, one set of 11 and one set of 12 + 15 lbs (on all 3 sets). I got burned on the first set :(
    Set 2. two sets of 10 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 10 + 20lbs
    Set 3. two sets of 10 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 8 + 25lbs
    Set 4. two sets of 8 reps no weight and , 3 sets of 6 + 25 lbs
    Set 5. two sets of 6 reps no weight and , 1 set of 4 + 30 lbs, 2 sets of 3 + 25 lbs. I had to lower the weight, my arms went numb and I couldn't feel them anymore. I really struggled with sets 4 & 5. I need to master the 25lbs before increasing the weight again. Monday will be a better day.

I never understand your workouts.
    Are you doing 230 pull ups every day?
    How do you do sets, inside of your sets?
  • lmbarreto
    lmbarreto Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @Raptorbh12 my goal is to complete 250 pull ups. 50 per set. So far I'm doing 200-230. I've been doing pull-ups for sometime now, but never added weight to the routine. I usually complete around 250-300 with no weight. I like different positions like corn-cob, close grip, switch pull, L shape, chin ups, reverse grip... I do a lot of the p90x exercises, that's what got me in the pull-up world.
  • lbenson2006
    Options
    Day one done - sticking to the 40 lbs assistance even though every time I really want to add more...I'm resisting the temptation. Did 4 my first set then 2 each of my subsequent 4 sets for a total of 12 assisted pull ups.
  • Raptorbh12
    Options
    Yesterday I did unweighted pull-up at my base gym.

I almost got 5 sets of 10 reps except reached muscle failure on the 9th one on the last set.

On an unrelated note, I did get my half mile time down to 2:55 which is close enough for government work.
  • lbenson2006
    Options
    Pyramid day done - think this is my favorite day. Failed on the attempt to make it to 5 in a set. Still sticking to 40 lbs assistance. Total pull ups today were 13.

Congrats on your 1/2 mile time raptor!
  • Joanna2012B
    Options
    Pyramid day done! I got to 6 sets with 40 lbs of assistance. A total of 21 pull ups. This was by far my best day!! Feeling pumped!!
  • lbenson2006
    Options
    Pyramid day done! I got to 6 sets with 40 lbs of assistance. A total of 21 pull ups. This was by far my best day!! Feeling pumped!!

Yeah Joanna!! Great job! So happy for you! :):)
  • lbenson2006
    Options
    I forgot, I will try again, but it seems like the reverse grip bothers my elbow. Is there something I might be doing incorrectly or do any of u guys have any suggestions for alternatives if it does hurt it again?
  • Raptorbh12
    Options
    I forgot, I will try again, but it seems like the reverse grip bothers my elbow. Is there something I might be doing incorrectly or do any of u guys have any suggestions for alternatives if it does hurt it again?

How is your grip currently?
    If its your elbow, it could possibly be your grip but its most likely a release of tension followed by a quick re-tensioning of your ligaments at the bottom of your repetitions.
    Try to do your pull ups without completely straightening your arms all the way and without taking a break. This will keep tension on your ligaments and tendons so they don't stretch and cause damage.

It could also be inflammation which is really hard to address (at least for me). Ibuprofen and lots of water.
  • lbenson2006
    Options
    Thanks @Raptorbh12 - not sure how to answer the grip question, but it did seem to be as a result of fully extending the arm. I just remember a fee days later I still felt it when doing some different moves so I want to avoid that if I can. I will try your suggestion today! :)
  • lbenson2006
    Options
    Had to skip the gym today and so I skipped my pull ups for the day...yikes!! I have tried so hard to not skip a day since they stress keeping with the routine is so important. That was kind of a bummer but can't change it. :'(