Let's talk about Bulletproof Coffee

Options

Replies

• Zilia81
    Zilia81 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    @RowdysLady I was getting a bit worried tbh. Glad somebody else had experienced it. Perhaps it`s my "holiday" feeling and that I`m nice and chillaxed. Lets see how it goes next wekk, when I`m back in the office. Currently looking for some easy to make fat bombs to take with me, so I don`t get the munchies.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I have not succeeded in adding salt to my BPC. Today I made BPC with 2 cups of coffee, 1 Tbsp MCT oil, 2 Tbsp HWC, 1 Tbsp butter, cinnamon, 1/2 scoop collagen, 1 tsp potassium, 1/4 tsp magnesium and 1/4 tsp salt. Used my blender to mix. The salt is very overpowering. Perhaps I'll try Lite Salt in lieu of the potassium and salt or I'll just reduce the salt to 1/8 tsp.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    bowlerae wrote: »
    I have not succeeded in adding salt to my BPC. Today I made BPC with 2 cups of coffee, 1 Tbsp MCT oil, 2 Tbsp HWC, 1 Tbsp butter, cinnamon, 1/2 scoop collagen, 1 tsp potassium, 1/4 tsp magnesium and 1/4 tsp salt. Used my blender to mix. The salt is very overpowering. Perhaps I'll try Lite Salt in lieu of the potassium and salt or I'll just reduce the salt to 1/8 tsp.

is your butter salted or unsalted? If its salted, that maybe the reason its overpowering. Of course, you could always omit it from your BPC and just add it into other foods throughout the day
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I tried it Saturday morning with 2 cups coffee, 1 TB coconut oil and 2 TB half and half. I was underwhelmed. But my lips felt amazingly soft as I rubbed the oil in after each sip! :lol:

Today I tried 2 cups coffee, 1 tsp of coconut oil, 2 TB half and half and some SF Torani caramel syrup. MUCH better! I'm fine with black or cream only coffee, but with the oil needed the flavor I think. I'm also going to add cinnamon to the grounds tomorrow and slowly up the oil.

Both days I used my immersion blender to froth it up.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Alright I set myself up yesterday with a trip to Walmart - I bought an immersion blender for BPC! I haven't tried it out yet but I'm sure it's much quieter than a blender.

I also got a waffle iron, a few things of 90% chocolate, natural PB (very low sugar) , sugar free strawberry jam, sugar free maple syrup.. a whole low carb haul! Very excited to try it all out.
  • BT_rescuemom
    BT_rescuemom Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Here's my time saving solution for mornings:uxdrn6ywfzyy.jpg

Individual pucks of butter and coconut oil. I'll just weigh them when I put them in my cup. I did this with a silicone mini muffin tray.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options

is your butter salted or unsalted? If its salted, that maybe the reason its overpowering. Of course, you could always omit it from your BPC and just add it into other foods throughout the day

No my butter is unsalted. To be honest though I think I am going to cut back on BPC and use my collagen, magnesium. potassium, and salt in a modified version of an electrolyte drink I found on ketodietapp.com which I made this weekend and it was...decent. Tasted like a really tame lemonade not full of sugar and diabeetus. I feel like I haven't be getting as much nutrient varietny since having BPC almost regulary.
  • Cadori
    Options

No my butter is unsalted. To be honest though I think I am going to cut back on BPC and use my collagen, magnesium. potassium, and salt in a modified version of an electrolyte drink I found on ketodietapp.com which I made this weekend and it was...decent. Tasted like a really tame lemonade not full of sugar and diabeetus. I feel like I haven't be getting as much nutrient varietny since having BPC almost regulary.

:lol:
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure why I was surprised that using coconut oil in food makes everything taste like coconut -- bleah. That's why the 54 ounce jar I bought at Sam's Club now lives in the bathroom, doing duty for probably the next decade as cuticle oil, hair mask, eye makeup remover and so on. You either like the taste of coconut oil or you don't.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    @mandycat223 not all of them taste like coconut. I buy Carrington Farms or Crisco brand and have not noticed that. I hate coconut too...so give one of those a try maybe?
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure why I was surprised that using coconut oil in food makes everything taste like coconut -- bleah. That's why the 54 ounce jar I bought at Sam's Club now lives in the bathroom, doing duty for probably the next decade as cuticle oil, hair mask, eye makeup remover and so on. You either like the taste of coconut oil or you don't.

dang, 54oz? Thats a lot of oil!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Any of the refined or ones that don't say virgin will have no flavor.
  • erider0505
    erider0505 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I drink it to, but I have found myself wondering, is it truly healthy for you? Is all that fat first thing good for you? Are you better off eating a good breakfast vs. doing the BPC? I don't know.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Ok - I tried using the immersion blender for my coffee, and it made a GIANT mess.. LOL. BPC may be a weekend only thing, or maybe I'll stick to making bullet proof tea at night :)
  • Cadori
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    Ok - I tried using the immersion blender for my coffee, and it made a GIANT mess.. LOL. BPC may be a weekend only thing, or maybe I'll stick to making bullet proof tea at night :)

I fill my travel mug halfway and immersion blend it for a minute or two. Then I fill it the rest of the way and just pulse a couple times. If I use the blender while the mug is full, it shoots up and over the edge.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I have a plastic cheapy tea/juice pitcher I use. I can blend up to 10 cups at a time in it with the immersion blender, no fuss, no muss. Then I just pour into my coffee cup. If I have more coffee than my cup holds (almost always) I take the pitcher to my desk and refill.
  • fit2benu
    fit2benu Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I drink on occasions and I like the taste of it. Definitely works better when used in a blender. I recently read an article on blog about an alternative to it for women called rocket fuel latte.
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I ordered some cocoa butter and have been using it in different combos to see how it tastes. Butter, HWC and cocoa butter with a little cocoa powder is YUM! I also used a little liq splenda. It tastes like dark chocolate.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    scottaking wrote: »
    The way I make it grosses everyone out. I seriously just drop a chunk of butter in the coffee, then I pour in some coconut oil. After that, I just stir with a spoon. I did try blending it once, but wasn't a fan. Recently, I picked up some 0 carb hazelnut flavoring. I've been using that now with my concoction.

This is basically the only way hubby and I like it. :) We just drop our chunks of butter in the coffee, then put in a heaping tsp of coconut cream concentrate and our MCT oil. After that we stir with a spoon and drink it all gone. Yum. Sometimes we'll add a dash of cinnamon too.