Weight loss paused bc diet soda?

Options

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 2-3 cases of diet coke a week, but I gave up caffeine many years ago and quit drinking sodas at the same time. I have added caffeine back into my routine, but not the sodas (I might have 1-2 sodas a year just because there is nothing else available to drink). All I drink are coffee, tea and water. I use Truvia in my coffee (sometimes cream but not everyday), plain water and unsweet tea (yes, I am a southerner and a heathen because I cannot stand the taste of sweet tea :o ).
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I drink about 1.5-2 liters of diet Pepsi/diet 7up every day! I've lost 17lbs in 6 weeks and still slowly going down. Yes it can cause bloating and water retention but for me it doesn't stall fat loss in any concerning way. I feel bad for anyone that can't drink it. :(
  • HawkPNP
    HawkPNP Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    Yes it can be the diet soda. I used to drink nothing but Coke Zero. When I stopped drinking it and went to water I lost 15 lbs in a month. Yep....in a month.

I just may have had my last Coke Zero. So hard for me to give up.

I had been crazy miserable with itching, pain, exhaustion and I wound up going to a Naturopath because no doctor could tell me what was wrong. I told her I was addicted to them. She told me to give them up. Keep in mind I'd been drinking nothing but Coke Zero - I woke up with one, went to bed with one. She said it was my problem. I cried, literally, in her office. On the way home I drank one more 20 ounce and didn't touch another one for about 6 years. In that first month I really did drop 15 lbs. I also lost most of my symptoms that took me to the Naturopath to begin with. I felt so much better. Migraines were eased up, my gut pain was gone, I could sleep at night, the freaking itching that made me scratch my skin off went away...

I drank only water and was scared to death that if I had any soda I'd fall off the wagon. Over the last two years I started drinking sweet tea and sugared sodas again and that with my diet, I watched my weight climb. It wasn't until I decided to lose weight that I went to sugar free sodas but I don't drink them as my only source of liquid. Rowdy likes Pepsi products so that's what I buy now and it was really easy to have a diet Pepsi on occasion - they taste only "ok". But now Pepsi makes a Pepsi Zero that is AMAZING. I wish I'd never tried it because I think I could be right back where I was so many years ago.

I started logging again yesterday and added a spot for soda so I could see if my Pepsi Zero intake was getting out of control. I know some days I drink more soda than others but right now it's when I'm out and about - like at Anna's band competitions. I should not be drinking 5 a day at home. We will see...sigh...

I wish it were as easy, @HawkPNP as to just stop buying them and drinking water. Soda is as addictive as tobacco, gambling and alcohol. The only reason I was able to quit cold turkey back then was because I felt like I was dying I was so sick and miserable all the time. And the minute I had an "excuse" to drink them again, I did so here I am. With a Pepsi Zero in front of me right now. Even when you don't buy a 12 pack for the house, you stop at the gas station and buy one or get one at the restaurant. It truly is an addiction for some people.

It definitely isn't easy....it is super addictive. I loved it. I was working on the road and I think I lived out of convenience stores for so long. Loved diet soda. And sugar in general.

There are no true tricks to quitting but at the same time, you can always do anything you set your mind to. I failed many times and restarted many times. And then it finally clicked.
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I was a flight attendant for almost 17 years and a drank minimum a 6 pack a day of diet coke when I was at work - it was pretty horrible. I was so bloated by the end of a day that my pants would barely button. I don't know if it was the pressure change of being on an airplane for 8 hours, along with all the crappy food, and carbonation/artificial sweetener in the DC, but I went cold turkey and instantly had less bloating and discomfort.

I will occasionally order one if I eat at a restaurant, or am at Costco shopping, but we don't have it at home. We do buy Lacroix by the case though and that seems to satisfy my need for something a little more special than water. I'm also a caffeine addict, so coffee figures in my day. (Although, I will say I'm on day 10 of LCHF diet, and I find that I need less and less caffeine every day because I have so much energy and my afternoon slump has almost disappeared.)
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be the diet soda. I used to drink nothing but Coke Zero. When I stopped drinking it and went to water I lost 15 lbs in a month. Yep....in a month.

I just may have had my last Coke Zero. So hard for me to give up.

I had been crazy miserable with itching, pain, exhaustion and I wound up going to a Naturopath because no doctor could tell me what was wrong. I told her I was addicted to them. She told me to give them up. Keep in mind I'd been drinking nothing but Coke Zero - I woke up with one, went to bed with one. She said it was my problem. I cried, literally, in her office. On the way home I drank one more 20 ounce and didn't touch another one for about 6 years. In that first month I really did drop 15 lbs. I also lost most of my symptoms that took me to the Naturopath to begin with. I felt so much better. Migraines were eased up, my gut pain was gone, I could sleep at night, the freaking itching that made me scratch my skin off went away...

I drank only water and was scared to death that if I had any soda I'd fall off the wagon. Over the last two years I started drinking sweet tea and sugared sodas again and that with my diet, I watched my weight climb. It wasn't until I decided to lose weight that I went to sugar free sodas but I don't drink them as my only source of liquid. Rowdy likes Pepsi products so that's what I buy now and it was really easy to have a diet Pepsi on occasion - they taste only "ok". But now Pepsi makes a Pepsi Zero that is AMAZING. I wish I'd never tried it because I think I could be right back where I was so many years ago.

I started logging again yesterday and added a spot for soda so I could see if my Pepsi Zero intake was getting out of control. I know some days I drink more soda than others but right now it's when I'm out and about - like at Anna's band competitions. I should not be drinking 5 a day at home. We will see...sigh...

I wish it were as easy, @HawkPNP as to just stop buying them and drinking water. Soda is as addictive as tobacco, gambling and alcohol. The only reason I was able to quit cold turkey back then was because I felt like I was dying I was so sick and miserable all the time. And the minute I had an "excuse" to drink them again, I did so here I am. With a Pepsi Zero in front of me right now. Even when you don't buy a 12 pack for the house, you stop at the gas station and buy one or get one at the restaurant. It truly is an addiction for some people.

It is true about the itching I have experienced the same thing - for me more like "pings of pain" in my toes, fingers, legs & the only time this happens is after I drink Coke Zero (or any kind of coke) It feels like a needle being pushed in - but I persist in Coke drinking I am no quitter (roll eyes)
  • HawkPNP
    Options
    I was a flight attendant for almost 17 years and a drank minimum a 6 pack a day of diet coke when I was at work - it was pretty horrible. I was so bloated by the end of a day that my pants would barely button. I don't know if it was the pressure change of being on an airplane for 8 hours, along with all the crappy food, and carbonation/artificial sweetener in the DC, but I went cold turkey and instantly had less bloating and discomfort.

I will occasionally order one if I eat at a restaurant, or am at Costco shopping, but we don't have it at home. We do buy Lacroix by the case though and that seems to satisfy my need for something a little more special than water. I'm also a caffeine addict, so coffee figures in my day. (Although, I will say I'm on day 10 of LCHF diet, and I find that I need less and less caffeine every day because I have so much energy and my afternoon slump has almost disappeared.)

I'm a total caffeine addict -- I agree I have had less coffee since starting LCHF. But I still love my iced tea and coffee. One battle at a time
  • BaconSan2
    Options
    Me too - I am in but I am starting tomorrow - I just HAVE TO drink the last one in my house. But I want to quit too. I think it is the fizz that I like. Maybe I will get one of those fizz making machines. I already drink Perrier & Pellegrino.
  • HawkPNP
    Options
    BaconSan2 wrote: »
    Me too - I am in but I am starting tomorrow - I just HAVE TO drink the last one in my house. But I want to quit too. I think it is the fizz that I like. Maybe I will get one of those fizz making machines. I already drink Perrier & Pellegrino.
    If you get one, let me know how you like it. I'm always super tempted by those machines...
  • BaconSan2
    Options
    @HawkPNP Will do!
  • BaconSan2
    Options
    I am 66 I started drinking Pepsi when I fourteen, every day after school I would go get my dad a pack of Player's cigarettes and he'd give me a quarter for a Pepsi. This was our ritual. (Yes, he did die of lung & liver cancer at 46 - awful) then when I met my husband at 28 he was appalled that I was drinking sugared Coke, so I started Diet Coke. I think giving up wine was even easier because I didn't start drinking that until my 30's. But I have been secretly feeling I should be giving Coke Zero up even tho I am consistently slowly losing every week. Maybe it will do better. I too dropped 15 lbs the 1st month but it has slowed down since. I don't want to do too low carbs because I have to stay on this diet for at least year to get to goal. Maybe the no drinking Coke will help??
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    My beverage choice since the '70s has always been diet something or other. In 2013 when I finally decided to get serious about losing my excess adipose, the intake of caffeine free Diet Pepsi or caffeine free Diet Coke increased significantly.

I've said before, "I'd hate to admit how much I drink daily". It's never effected weight loss or maintenance. True confession, I was drinking a 12 pack of 12 ounce cans, most days. No exaggeration. I'd place the empty cans on the kitchen counter throughout the day and crush them once every day or two. Crushing them became a "problem" when I tore my rotator cuff in May and could no longer lift my arm to use the can crusher. Dear, dear husband took over the can crushing duty (I can now do it and consider the motion a good exercise for the rotator cuff/subluxated bicep).

This October 1st I decided caffeine free Diet Pepsi and caffeine free Diet Coke are non-essential to my WOE and quit drinking them. The primary reason I quit drinking them is I started thinking: "what if" there is any truth to artificial sweeteners being "damaging" to the brain and "what if" artificial sweeteners are having an effect on my brain in regards to my Dystonia. I have no opinion or facts regarding the use of artificial sweeteners. I just quit drinking them as a personal experiment. I'm currently substituting. My current choice is seltzer water for the fizz, sometimes with stevia sweetened water enhancers versus other sweeteners. I'm not as obsessed with having seltzer in the house as I was with diet colas.

I have not experienced any sort of withdrawal symptoms/weight gain/weight loss since stopping CF Diet Pepsi or CF Diet Coke. I do think a piece of the reason for "no withdrawal" is because my choices have been caffeine free since June of 2000 when my neurologist suggested to cease using caffeine regarding my involuntary movement disorder (Dystonia). When I quit drinking caffeine, (regular coffee and all) initially, I did have withdrawal symptoms. I got headaches and became a bit lethargic. That passed fairly quickly.

TL:DR OP, the diet drinks may or may not be effecting weight loss. Hope you get the downward trend going again.

To others, the addiction to the drinks may be caffeine related. Just a thought.
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    HawkPNP wrote: »
    BaconSan2 wrote: »
    If you get one, let me know how you like it. I'm always super tempted by those machines...

Yes! You will have to tell us!
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm going to stop Coke Zero and my even higher addiction to Crystal Lite. At first when I started doing LCHF, it didn't seem to affect weight loss, but now that I am within 10 pounds of my goal, I haven't seen any weight change in 3 months. Maybe this is the key. I know it's not good for me anyway...
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I know this infographic is alarmist (also I know nothing of its source)...and probably based on people who follow SAD. For me personally, I don't think diet sodas are good for our bodies. Also, aspartame has been linked to many not so healthy conditions.

That said, we each have to do what is necessary to stay on track diet wise - handle one addiction at a time. For me it's been food and possibly alcohol.

hold1qz8eh8z.png
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've seen that before @coloradoartstudio and I'm sure there is truth to it. I never worried too much because I would just have one soda per day, but I really do crave it when I don't have it. :(
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Oh this makes me so sad. I will quit soon too. I have the occasional cherry Coke Zero and sometimes a diet squirt at night. It's taken the place of a glass of wine after dinner.
  • KetoLady86
    KetoLady86 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    We are all addicted
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    KetoLady86 wrote: »
    We are all addicted

Sigh...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, diet soda is a required ingredient for my protein fluff recipes. Fortunately, I've never had any problems out of it, and I drink more in a day than most people do in a week. I'm pretty sure that if you cut me, a sickly combination of Coke Zero, Diet Sunkist, and Diet A&W Root Beer would pour out.

Yes, same here... except it is Diet Pepsi, Diet Dr. Pepper, Diet Sunkist, and Diet A&W Root Beer. I drink Diet Coke if I'm at a restaurant that only serves Coke products and has no other diet options.