TEAM FIVE

Options

Replies

• RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    2run2ski wrote: »
    You had to retrieve your rice while cars were waiting?? No one helped you??? It's only embarrassing to those that didn't bound over to lend you hand... I'm glad you're okay.

So, just to clarify: I'm in on the mini challenge of logging all day 5 times this week.

Well, it was a 4 way stop so probably anyone who saw me was in their car. I'm not sure there were any other "walkers" nearby. In all likelihood it only took me less than a minute to get it but time seemed to slow way down. LOL

Glad you're doing the logging!! What's a Wilbur Bud?
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,149 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hey all, sorry, haven't been in the forums much - just getting on to log food and exercise daily, but not perusing the threads. I've been a bit busy, but haven't we all this time of year?!

Glad you are doing okay now @RaeBeeBaby ! Yea, not a fan of the icy streets, and like you, tend to fall on it. For me, I log daily anyway - good, bad, and ugly...so, I'm in, but it's an easy one for me. And yes, all in for the grudge match next month too.

I already saw Hawkins saying she needed the next challenge sooner rather than later due to the holidays too, so that's good!

@2run2ski - snow tires for your bike sounds interesting! You'll have to let us know how they do. Hope they are awesome!

@MiamiSeoul - I'm with you...I have other challenges that I do, but I'm feeling lost without this one! I actually did the Rockettes workout at the gym yesterday, and dang my gym room was much longer than my hallways at home...I was huffing and puffing at the end. Also did some squats but with the added fun of doing them on a SPRI Step 360 (like a bosu ball, but a bit more stable) - boy, my legs were shaking after the Rockettes workout.

Thanks for posting the workouts @rusgolden! Might have to look into a few of them. I've just been doing old workouts from the AR.

Per my goals last week:
    1. Planks - I think I got 14 of 15 minutes done. This week...haven't done any - busy and not feeling up to doing them. I'm super far behind in my own Plank Challenge.
    2. Housecleaning - I did about 2 hours last week, but still have at least that much to do this week before my cat sitter comes for the weekend. Trying to block Friday to get that done.
    3. Water - still struggling with my water. I did better, but didn't get 8 cups logged every day last week.

I will say that I was pretty happy that I've gotten two days of strength training in this week already, and I'm hoping to get in my third on Friday, so I'm back on schedule of 3 times per week. I've not been consistent with it, and I can tell. It has been cool here yesterday and today, but still enjoyable (70's for the high)...haven't been out on the water this week due to TOM, but hoping to get a nice outside walk in today after I meet with someone this morning. Okay, off to shower and to my meeting.

If I don't make it back in here before the holidays, hope everyone has a blessed CHRISTmas and Hanukkah! If you don't celebrate, then have a lovely and blessed weekend.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    Quick update - made it 3 days with logging and was under all 3. Planning for the same today and Friday. Cleaning house today and sorting of gifts so hubby can help with the wrapping tonight. He bought my gift at a local hardware store where they gift wrap for free and a Sephora gift card (his usual), so he's pretty much done. He made the offer for wrapping duty, so I will be happy to take him up on it.

For exercise I've done hot tub yoga 2 days this week and aquasize 2 days. Not much, but at least I'm moving. Today's housecleaning and climbing up and down stairs will have to suffice.

I made my Christmas dinner menu trying to accommodate all the dietary restrictions of myself and family (gluten-free, no eggs, dairy or peanuts). We don't normally eat a "traditional" Christmas meal, so I like to get creative.

Beef brisket (with buns for sliders for the wheat eaters)
    Baked salmon
    Coleslaw
    Cilantro Lime Rice
    Roasted Butternut Squash
    Some kind of GF, diary-free dessert - still looking at recipes

My mom is making a birthday cake for my son (Christmas baby) and it won't be GF, egg or dairy free, but that's OK. I made a GF vegan cake for him last year and it wasn't very good, so I'll turn that over to her and he will enjoy a piece! :D
  • b3achy
    Options
    @RaeBeeBaby - can you come to my house next and help me pickup/clean?! I'm swamped (due to my own personal procrastination). Hope to spend all day tomorrow cleaning, running errands, last minute treat baking (to take to my mom) and packing for my trip on Sat.

I did get in a nice walk today (3.9 miles/80 minutes). It's glorious here in Tampa today - 79F and a light breeze so it wasn't too hot walking along Bayshore...
    220px-Tampa_Bayshore_Blvd_looking_south01.jpg

Now to get back to business/work...hope to get some time tonight to do some of the things on my to-do list.
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I don't like completing my diary, but I've been doing pretty good staying under each day. Except Wednesday...when I reverted to binging habits and ate all of the things. :/ Weight is up for it too. Just keep reminding myself that it's probably not more than a pound of actual weight and it should drop off over the next couple of days as long as everything else stays under control. Which knowing Sunday...who knows. :tongue:

I've been walking outside the last couple of days as it's been almost 60F after being below freezing for a while. The only thing is it starts out nice, but the temperature drops quickly by the end because of the setting sun. I just get less bored walking outdoors than I do at the gym.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the diary challenge. Some days I start off strong but then the call of cookies, candy, fudge, ........ just become too strong! However, the past couple days I have been spot on. Last night I even turned down a chance at pumpkin pie, knowing that it would put me over on my daily calories.

I'm so jealous of all you warm weather people right now! I really don't mind winter and the snow is so beautiful - but sub zero temperatures and snow covered roads force me to run on the treadmill. My dog, who is my running buddy, lays down next to the treadmill and looks up at me with a "traitor" look. It's unbearable!!!!!! And kind of hilarious. Fortunately it will hit 34 degrees today, the roads are fairly clear, so I hope to run outside today.

Merry Christmas everyone!
  • biketheworld
    Options
    @rusgolden -and EVERYONE who's a runner - I have registered to commit to run 1000 miles in 2017. (ilovetorun.org). Would there be any interest in starting a challenge group for anyone interested in participating?
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @rusgolden -and EVERYONE who's a runner - I have registered to commit to run 1000 miles in 2017. (ilovetorun.org). Would there be any interest in starting a challenge group for anyone interested in participating?

Holy smokes! That is nearly 20 miles a week!! As much as I like to run, that might be a little aggressive for me. I'll think it over.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Well Fab Fivers... want to form our own challenge group?

Although the past 2-3 weeks have been complete chaos here -- the good holiday cheer-sprinkles-and-laughter chaos.... I admit to also wanting to have somewhere to log my minutes. Because we all have such varied exercise habits, I'm not sure what the format would look like...

Perhaps we just form a group (or stay in this one?), set up a google spreadsheet where we each set goals for ourselves and track our progress, and maybe folks could host a week of challenges or everyone through out a challenge for the week or something (depending on the size of the group?)??

My holiday from school goes one more week, so I could put in some extra time this week if google sheet needs to be made (hopefully I can figure out that formatting?), but I know that once school begins again I will find myself organizing the district science night (involving 13 grade levels and last year 400 attendees...) so I might not have a lot of time to administer things until Feb 1st (science night!) is over!
  • biketheworld
    Options
    rusgolden wrote: »

Holy smokes! That is nearly 20 miles a week!! As much as I like to run, that might be a little aggressive for me. I'll think it over.

I have been aiming for 58 miles/month for the past few months and have managed to hit my goal. What I've found is that it's kept me somewhat more consistent, which is part of the reason I want to do a 1,000/year challenge. It averages out to 83 miles/month. So I will definitely have to kick it up a notch - but it will also keep me from not running for a week (or two or three) just because I "don't feel like it." I just went through and mapped out each month for 2017 - taking into consideration a 10% increase for the first few months (to avoid injury) - topping out at 91 miles. It's definitely going to be a challenge for me - but I'm so goal oriented that I'm looking forward to it.

Would anyone be interested in a challenge group with me?
  • rusgolden
    Options
    @biketheworld --- Okay, I thought it over and looked at the running calendar and planning on training for my first half marathon on April 22nd...so, I went over a couple different training plans and it looks like I will probably be doing between 17-25 miles per week for about 12 weeks and I just don't know if that will be sustainable for the entire year. So, I think I will pass on the 1,000 mile challenge, but I still might like to challenge myself to an annual goal... maybe 800 miles?
  • RaeBeeBaby
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I'm up for doing some kind of challenge with this group, but I'm not sure I can meet the 1000 miles a year challenge. Definitely not for running as my knees won't keep up with my intentions. On my best days I hit about 3-4 miles worth of steps. Could that count towards the 1000?

I forget when Amazing Race is slated to being again?

In the meantime, there's been some talk about a grudge match against Team 1. Thoughts about that?

If we do a separate challenge for ourselves or against Team 1, I think it would be optimal if it wrapped up about the time AR starts again. Otherwise it might be hard to keep track.
  • b3achy
    Options
    I wish I could run, but my knees can't take it. And I know my weekly mileage and it's a far cry from 20 miles a week.

I think the grudge match between Team 1 and Team 5 will be when the next amazing race starts up. I want to say hawkins said the next one would be early Feb, but I also know she posted that she was missing it and might need to start it up in Jan.

Given that, I'd not mind some level of challenge to keep us going until the next official amazing race. Maybe we just do some weekly challenges for ourselves. I'd be in to have my minutes logged somewhere other than my exercise diary. I already do a 24 hour/month challenge (which I've given myself a goal of 36 hours/month) and a run/walk/jog/move challenge, but I do miss logging minutes for a team. So, I'm in, if some folks want to do that. I'd even be willing to come up with something for one of the weeks.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    If the challenge begins in February, I may join, but if it's next month, I'll most likely be skipping out.
    January is the month I do my overhaul and start working on new things.
    I've decided to practice the guitar, work on my gymnastics, martial arts, and bo staff, and learn Korean.
    Along with a bunch of conventions and cosplaying, I want to take the time to focus 100% on me.
    I tend to forget about the internet and to check in on challenges, so I didn't like that part of the challenge when I realize I only have a day to get all the workouts in (surprisingly the multiple day challenges were easier because I was doing them more often than a one timer.)

Okay, I'm just babbling now. I'll keep checking back for the start date and see where I'm at and how full I have my plate (haha, see that? I made a food reference.)

Alright, it's late and I'm getting punchy.
    Make great resolutions/goals for the new year. Let your burdens stay behind and keep your eyes looking forward. Live in the moment and enjoy life.
  • biketheworld
    Options
    @rusgolden - So glad you're signed up for a half!!! Not trying to be a stalker, but which one are you running?

How about tweaking the 1000 miles/year idea. Believe it or not, there are people who "run the year" - so next year they'll run 2017 miles. Yikes. Never gonna happen. However - I could see a challenge to run/walk/bike/swim 2017 miles in 2017. I can't find anyone who issues a medal for this, but I'll keep looking.

Would anyone be interested in something like a 2017 miles (of any nature) in 2017?
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @rusgolden - So glad you're signed up for a half!!! Not trying to be a stalker, but which one are you running?

How about tweaking the 1000 miles/year idea. Believe it or not, there are people who "run the year" - so next year they'll run 2017 miles. Yikes. Never gonna happen. However - I could see a challenge to run/walk/bike/swim 2017 miles in 2017. I can't find anyone who issues a medal for this, but I'll keep looking.

Would anyone be interested in something like a 2017 miles (of any nature) in 2017?
    I'd love to do this!

I average about 90 miles a week, so I'd get about 4680+ miles by the end of 2017.....

Holy crap! After looking at this, no wonder I can eat so much food and barely gain weight. I'm a mileage madhound!
  • b3achy
    edited December 2016
    Options

There is a thread here in the challenge section where they let you set your own goal for bike/run/walk/step monthly and then you see if you can meet it (and they are pretty lenient on activity (okay with paddling/rowing, swimming, etc) and measurement of said activity (mileage, steps, minutes)). Thus far, I've been doing it since August (for walking and paddling miles) and this is the first month I actually met the goal that I set. And considering I've only done around 345 miles total in 5 months, not sure I'd be a good candidate for 2017 miles.

Since I started adding strength training to my routine, I don't get as many miles as I used to (typically in the 60's / month instead of 70's / month), though I do feel like I probably should increase my miles a bit more since I feel like I've stalled a bit since not doing as many miles. I might be game for a 1000 any type of miles / year challenge (which would bump my goals up to 80's / month). Still a stretch for me, but might be do-able if I can do walking and paddling since I don't run due to bad knees.

Also, you might want to pop into that thread, since most people are doing over a 100 miles / month (mostly walking, but some running). Some might be interested in the original 1000 miles / year challenge, and some are close to the year challenge at around 155 miles per month (310K steps).
  • b3achy
    Options
    Hey, just saw this thread in the Challenge section...looks like someone else is going 1000 miles already...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10492917/1000-miles-in-2017-walk-or-run
  • rusgolden
    Options

I haven't officially signed up yet, but the next increase in registration fee is March 4th, so as long as my training is going well and on target, I will get signed up before then. I'm going to do the Garmin Half -- the other races that I've picked out between now and then is a 5K (either the Mardi Gras one or a different one a week later, so either the end of Feb or early March) and then a 10K on April 1st.

Again, depending how it all goes for my first Half in April, I am also considering doing the Harvest Series in the fall, which is 3 Half Marathon's in Oct/Nov.
  • rusgolden
    Options
    b3achy wrote: »
    Hey, just saw this thread in the Challenge section...looks like someone else is going 1000 miles already...

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10492917/1000-miles-in-2017-walk-or-run

Yeah, I think between walking and running I could hit 1000 miles.