TEAM FIVE

Options
hawkins410
hawkins410 Posts: 2,105 Member
edited October 2016 in Social Groups
Welcome to the "Amazing Race - Fall Fun!" Your Team Captains are @rusgolden & @2016summerfun! We hope you have a

fun filled eight weeks!

:)

Replies

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,143 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    So excited to get in on this race, since I missed joining the one before this race. Hey @MiamiSeoul!! Good to see you here! :)

As of today, I'm 52 yo, single (never married mostly due to career) and the 'mother' of three cats. I also live in FL, but on the West Coast/Gulf side. I now consult/work from home, so I have a flexible schedule, which means I typically try to workout in the mornings after my devotions, and then I work in the afternoons into evenings. I usually take Saturdays to Mondays off from my structured workouts on Tues-Fri, but often I'm out paddling or gardening or walking over the weekends. I did just join a gym, so I'm trying to get there MWF for strength training.

I started stand up paddleboard (SUP) racing last year (about the same time I quit my job), and fell in love with the community and the competition. And it doesn't hurt they have an over 50 category for us vintage racers (though the 50+ ladies are in phenomenal shape, and super fast). My primary competitor this year has been one of my buddies who is 40+lbs lighter than me. During our last race last fall, I was on a faster board, I matched her stroke for stroke, and I watched her pull away from me, and finish 10 minutes ahead of me. It was just the push I needed to really get my act together since I knew the biggest factor outside of skill was our difference in weight.

On another fitness tracking site, they kept talking about counting calories and watching your macros. When I found out more about it, I thought I'd try it since nothing else was working for me to lose consistently in the past few years. In May 2016, I found MFP so I could start to track my calories and macros. I was about 150 lbs at the time, and I have lost over half my weight to my goal of 120 lbs (currently 132lbs). I could technically 'maintain' at this weight, since it's healthy and within normal BMI range, but I really want to get down further for paddling, and because when I got out of the Army 25 years ago, I was around 115-120, and felt good.

I love challenges because they keep me accountable, and my goal is under 120 by the end of December, so I know this race challenge will help me get to my ultimate goal! Looking forward to kicking butt on Team 5...I'll be the one looking for a river, bay, gulf, ocean, canal, or lake to paddle as we travel from spot to spot. ;)
  • MissionEnforcer
    MissionEnforcer Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    @b3achy Happy Birthday!
  • b3achy
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @b3achy Happy Birthday!

Thanks @MissionEnforcer - What a great b-day present to find out my team and meet my mates :) Thanks again for all the hard work you and @hawkins410 have done to put the race and teams together...and thanks to the team 5 co-captains for leading us to victory! :)
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Casty. I'm a single mom of 3 boys. We do lots of scouting adventures like hiking and camping, but I also work full time and go to school, teach den meetings, volunteer and advocate for children and families with Type 1 Diabetes, and participate in pto.. so sometimes have a hard time making myself work out. Challenges help! I've been on MFP on and off for a few years and basically yo-yo between chubby beer-lover and fit healthy eater... why can't I be a fit beer-lover?? Lol

I look forward to getting to know all of you and losing some chub! :wink:
  • b3achy
    Options
    G'Morning Mates! Cool to see we have such an international team! I just send out friend requests to everyone on the team (I was sneak peaking in the other teams' threads and one mentioned we'd probably have to do it anyway for an early challenge) with a note that it was for the challenge.

@MiamiSeoul - I really like the Fit Fives, but after @2016summerfun's post in the Q&A, I'm wondering if we should be Rus' Angels (spin off of Charlie's Angels) or something similar...j/k - lol...poor @rusgolden as the only guy so far on the team. I do like Golden Rulers (since I'm a bit of a Golden Girl)...but it also reminded me of 5 Golden Rings...however, both of the last two options leaves out Summer/June as our fellow co-captain. I was thinking of the Fab Fives, which is probably why I like the Fit Fives. Or we can keep the name from last time, if most of the group has returned. I'm pretty flexible.

Hope everyone has a blessed Sunday. I'm heading out for a quick morning paddle before making my move to Leavenworth to get to the starting line. Toodles for now.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    It is looking like a solid team and looking forward to playing with you all. I think we've had about half report in so far, so hopefully will get the rest in later today so we all know each other and make sure we are starting the race with a full team. I know Kat is in Bali surfin' it up and might be later in the week before she reports in, but said she would be getting some good minutes in for the team while she is away.

@MiamiSeoul - thank you for the suggestions and @b3achy and June... lol, I'm used to being the minority in challenges, I guess it's just not a manly thing to do, lol. I do like the Fit Fives and the Five Star Racers.
  • MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hi @b3achy . . . I guess we get around!

@geminiswede, love that kitty hard, because you never know . . . I lost my Bella, a Shih Tzu/Maltese yesterday morning & I'm devastated. Spent all day in bed - couldn't even eat until late in the afternoon when my blood sugar, and need to take medications, forced me. She was such a great girl. I'm heartbroken . . .
    7nsalqstc4in.jpg

hujnqht2ra9n.jpg

+ R.I.P. Bella +

I've created a list of suggested team names (thus far). Please chime-in with any suggestions and then we can begin posting our top three, in order of preference, with #1 being your favorite, #2, your second favorite & finally your 3rd pick.

Here's what we have so far:
    1) Team 5
    2) Flying High-Fivers
    3) Five Star Hotties
    4) Fit Fives
    5) Rus' Angels
    6) Five Star Racers
    7) Five Golden Rings
    8) Golden Rulers
    9) Fab Fives

Have a wonderful Sunday!
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    @MiamiSeoul -- so sorry about your doggie. They become such a part of our family and I know it must have been quite the emotional loss for you! :'(
  • 2016summerfun
    2016summerfun Posts: 284 Member
    Options

@ Miamiseoul . sorry to hear about bella. i have a shih tzu and her name is bella. i know what your going through i lost my little cat last christmas. take care x