Face and Neck Skin Care

Options
1235»

Replies

• memelizzy
    memelizzy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I make my own Borage & Green Tea Day Cream, lip balm, sugar scrubs, deodorant spray, body powder, cologne and body sprays...I have even brushed my teeth with clay and activated charcoal! LOL! :#
  • memelizzy
    memelizzy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    But you might google face yoga exercises...I have done some of them and I think they really do help!
  • missippibelle
    missippibelle Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just bought rosehip seed oil for my face and neck. I like is so far but I've only been using it a few weeks. It is supposed to have natural vit C and rentinoid properties. We shall see!
  • pacific904
    pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I believe that the skin is like a piece of leather, it needs regular oiling/feeding from the outside - and good nutrition. My years working in a unit for the severly burned confirmed this. Patients' scars improved a lot by massaging their scars with oils, even olive oil.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I just bought rosehip seed oil for my face and neck. I like is so far but I've only been using it a few weeks. It is supposed to have natural vit C and rentinoid properties. We shall see!

@missippibelle - Does that actually smell like roses? I've hesitate to get some despite the good bits due to the fact that it is a floral. I'm allergic to so many florals. It's not worth the massive headaches!
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Somewhere I posted about how my skin is taking a beating since I've moved to this WOE. And sadly I think its dairy. *cries* I accidentally cut back for about a week and saw a HUGE IMPROVEMENT.

I just need a place to share my sadness. *sobs into my brie*
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »
    Somewhere I posted about how my skin is taking a beating since I've moved to this WOE. And sadly I think its dairy. *cries* I accidentally cut back for about a week and saw a HUGE IMPROVEMENT.

I just need a place to share my sadness. *sobs into my brie*

Well dairy isn't everyone's friend. I'm not sure I could give up all dairy, I love me Brie as well. Milk I don't drink, I have become fond of cream eating this way and I always used butter, just not often until now. Might try a week without dairy and see if I notice any changes.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options

Well dairy isn't everyone's friend. I'm not sure I could give up all dairy, I love me Brie as well. Milk I don't drink, I have become fond of cream eating this way and I always used butter, just not often until now. Might try a week without dairy and see if I notice any changes.

I didn't connect the two until I was at a bridal shower last weekend. A lady there was lamenting how she's discovered that dairy is contributing to her serious acne via an elmination diet. She was preparing to go back on acutane but hated it so much she tried an elim diet first. I then realized I'd significantly upped my consumption of cheese (I don't really drink milk) and yogurt when I eat this way and the week before I'd accidentally reduced my dairy consumption as we got ready to go on vacation and didn't grocery shop. I'm not prepared to cut it all out but I am going to be more conscious and eat a bit less.

overall I haven't noticed any real benefit for my skin, hair, nails but I didn't have any real issues prior to eating this way. I do have rosacea but I've learned to deal with that. I do however, think the years are catching up to me and especially those years as a pool manager and swim coach......
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @mmultanen - There is the chance, too, that it isn't dairy directly that is the issue. Many times we have underlying sensitivities, and then dairy just gets amplified from that. Many folks have to do the whole gluten/soy/dairy/sugar elimination for the 60-90 days, and then have to test to see what they can add back in. It may be a case that your main issue is gluten or soy, and whey is a problem, but casein is fine or somesuch. It just stinks that it is an escalating, domino-type effect.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    I've never done a formal elimination diet, but I know gluten is not my friend, and too much of dairy isn't good for me either. I can eat most cheeses and yogurts without additives and do just fine, so far HWC has not done anything bad either. I am no longer eating soy since going through menopause about a decade ago, I got into it heavily and ended up having some issues, so I just don't do it anymore. I do love tofu when it is done right, but I stay away from it. This WOE has cut out almost every bit of sugar in my diet, I have always leaned towards crunchy, salty, not sugary treats anyway.

So my vices are pretty much chocolate and wine these days. I love chocolate fat bombs these days with a glass of red wine so no feelings of deprivation for me these days. And the coconut oil I use in those seems to help my Colorado dry skin a lot. Win-win for me :)
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @retirehappy Did you ever do that face rubbing technique? For me personally, I found that video of the woman rubbing her face in such a frenetic way pretty disturbing.
    I've always read don't tug or rub hard on your skin, but gently pat dry

The fastest way and most dramatic change you can do to look younger is to lose weight and moisturize, but if you do find the fountain of youth please share!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    If it hasn't been mentioned already, I utterly swear by cleansing with coconut oil, toning with organic ACV diluted 1:10 with spring water and a few drops of lavender oil, and moisturising with Argan oil.
    I swear by all three - combined, I think they're the elixir of youth - !
  • missippibelle
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@missippibelle - Does that actually smell like roses? I've hesitate to get some despite the good bits due to the fact that it is a floral. I'm allergic to so many florals. It's not worth the massive headaches!

The rosehip seed oil doesn't smell like roses at all. It is a little earthy smelling, but not floral at all. It is the oil from the seeds, so no flower smell. I also have been using rose water as a toner, and that has a very rosy scent. I really have enjoyed using both of them. I have only been using the rosehip seed oil for a few weeks. I use it after cleansing my face, then I tone with the rose water and spritz a little on my face and neck as well. I always rub what is left on the back of my right hand ( left-handed). I noticed today that my right hand looks so good! I have more discoloration on my left than my right. Interesting. I also have noticed that I can see a difference in the sun spots on my chest where my neck meets my chest. I have been using the oil on my neck too at night, but I haven't been putting in on my chest. I think I need to start! I have been using Trilogy Rosehip seed oil. I bought mine at whole foods, but they have it on amazon as well. I also started using jojoba oil as a cleanser at the same time.

• missippibelle
    Options
    This is a subtle difference, but it has only been a few weeks and the spots on the right are lighter and fewer than the left and the wrinkles are not as deep to me. It's enough to keep me using it and I'm gonna put it more places!
  • missippibelle
    Options
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My go to for skin care is collagen - specifically, collagen hydrolysate. I take that 1-2 times a day religiously for not only the benefits with achy joints sometimes, but my hair and nails are strong and grow like crazy and my skin has never been better. It was suggested to me by a fellow ketoer who is down 130 lbs and her skin looks very youthful and supple. The brand I use is Great Lakes - you can get it on their website, or on amazon, but there are plenty of options out there.

• retirehappy
    Options
    slimzandra wrote: »
    @retirehappy Did you ever do that face rubbing technique? For me personally, I found that video of the woman rubbing her face in such a frenetic way pretty disturbing.
    I've always read don't tug or rub hard on your skin, but gently pat dry

The fastest way and most dramatic change you can do to look younger is to lose weight and moisturize, but if you do find the fountain of youth please share!

Being the lazy person I am no I didn't use the massage device. After looking at some youtube videos on using it I gave it a pass.

I am noticing that winter did not dry out my skin as much this winter, I have been eating lots of coconut oil in fat bombs and coffee. Not a fountain of youth but winter did no damage this season, so I think that is a step in the right direction.

I have some collagen and I am starting to use it a couple of times a week, and I do both beef and chicken bone broths. I do IF with a cup of broth and/or coffee with coconut oil blended in a few times a week. My hair is great and so are my nails, so this might have an effect on the not dried out winter skin too.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    This is a subtle difference, but it has only been a few weeks and the spots on the right are lighter and fewer than the left and the wrinkles are not as deep to me. It's enough to keep me using it and I'm gonna put it more places!

Right side is much more hydrated, skin looks pretty healthy to me. Congrats.