You Know You're a Runner When...

Options

Replies

• Destanie_Robyn
    Destanie_Robyn Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    When you're road running and you come to a red light, instead of jogging in place until the light turns green like the newbs do, you just stand with your hands on your hips and look a little aggravated.

And keep impatiently punching the button because that will make the light change quicker! :tongue:

LOL I do both! although lately now that its summer I been taking the chance to give my dogs some water
  • geerunz
    geerunz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You are injured (can't run) and find yourself glaring at every runner you see while driving to and from work :grumble:

GUILTY!! :blushing:
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You drive to work over the weekend to drop off your work clothes so that you can run to work during the week.

Looking forward to my run/commute home tonight.

You know you're a runner when you run home because it takes less time to run the five miles than it would to take the subway or drive even.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    ~You have a gruesome blood blister---on both feet (and they were both well-earned).

~You add up your "birthday run" mileage and are disappointed that it's less than 1K short of your new age. DOH!

~Miles are just numbers to you and you crush them with a rock/like a rock.

~To run twice in one day or not to run twice (or thrice), that is the question.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    When you're road running and you come to a red light, instead of jogging in place until the light turns green like the newbs do, you just stand with your hands on your hips and look a little aggravated.

Red light? That means stop? I rarely stop at red lights - granted, most of my running is around ~5am and usually there are no cars around for miles. If, on a rare occasion a car is coming, I just turn and run down the road I can't cross until it's safe to run across it. If I'm running during the day and actually have to stop at a red, yeah, I just stand there - maybe take a drink of water and glance at my garmin to make sure it auto-paused for me :-).
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Red light? That means stop? I rarely stop at red lights - granted, most of my running is around ~5am and usually there are no cars around for miles. If, on a rare occasion a car is coming, I just turn and run down the road I can't cross until it's safe to run across it. If I'm running during the day and actually have to stop at a red, yeah, I just stand there - maybe take a drink of water and glance at my garmin to make sure it auto-paused for me :-).

Same! I run at 4 a.m., so traffic isn't usually an issue for me.
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    - every time you hear a new tune, you either zone out, or think "ooh, I could run to that."
    - the Garmin crashing brings about language that could make a sailor blush
    - you get selective about running kit...pockets? Wicking fabric? Lurid colours? Hello Mr credit card!
    - you have a dedicated container for gels and safety pins.
    - you find out that the dodgy nightclub of your youth has shut down...when you ran past it at 9am.
    - your hamstrings are way too tight for half the poses in yoga.
    - you have a mild fear of physiotherapists.

I'm also a running commuter with horrid feet, like a few others!
  • kellyhdent
    kellyhdent Posts: 46
    Options
    3. You've lost a toenail

Yes, I am currently missing one on each foot!

I'm missing 2 on the left and one on the right.

You know you're a runner when you can't wear open toed shoes anymore. So sad!
    I need a pedicure so bad right now but I'm too embarrassed to go because of my missing toe nail. Lol

Yes! My thoughts exactly!
  • mellorunner
    Options
    Or turn down the other road, keep running, wait for the traffic to open up, then dash across. I ain't stopping my run for nothin'!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Someone asks you how far the store is from here and you respond with the exact distance (1.2 miles). Similarly you know where all the mile markers are in every direction from your house.

You pull out your race calendar to consult when picking work vacation.
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the party but these had me laughing and nodding a lot. (I just realized my toenails had grown in enough to paint them again and my husband thought I was crazy because I was so excited.)

I will add:
    When someone asks how far your run was and if it was anything less than your PR you reply "It was only x miles."
  • HealthyBrandi
    HealthyBrandi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Haha. That's me! Now I do feel so bad knowing others do it.
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    10.98 miles does not equal 11.00 miles on your Garmin, but 11.12 miles does = 11 miles!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    These are all fantastic.

I will guiltily admit that I have taken a personal day from work just so that I could go for a run in the beautiful sunshine.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    (Just happened to me today)-You are in the middle of a long great run (10 miles) and your Garmin suddenly says:" Lap Distance full, Delete Oldest laps." so Garmin stops recording the correct mile splits but fortunately you have Runkeeper on to take over without missing a beat. I'd show you a photo of the message but can't figure out how to upload the pic.
    #Garminfull #Garminfail #Runkeeper to the rescue!
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You tell the family you are going out for a 10 mile run and they ask if you are tapering already.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    These are all fantastic.

I will guiltily admit that I have taken a personal day from work just so that I could go for a run in the beautiful sunshine.

that's awesome Linli_Anne !
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    You know you're a runner when.... You start reading about running on forums late at night in bed, eagerly anticipating waking up to run and contemplate getting out of bed for a short one now... Yeah that just happened, lol. Must stay in bed and go to sleep!
  • runningcat76
    Options
    i have spent more time looking at possible running routes for my forthcoming holiday than I have looking at pictures of the hotel and planning activities for the children! ooops!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You start keeping a bar of soap in the bathroom at work for those post-lunch-run-mini-sink-showers. (Maybe this is just me.)

You have a semi-permanent running shorts tan line.

You start looking at all foods as potential mid-run fueling options. (Tortillas are magical, btw.)

You buy everything running related in sets of two because you can't bear the thought of not being able to have yet ANOTHER perfect sports bra / racing tank / shorts / etc.

You plan social events with others around your usual weekend morning run(s).

You stop getting annoyed at people who ask how your "marathon" race was this weekend, no matter what the actual distance was because you realize, they're just never going to get it as non-runners.