January Q and A thread

Options

Replies

• giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    giusa wrote: »
    First time doing standing military ohp at a gym, the only bar under #45 was an ez curl bar. My question is, does using a curved bar for military press effect the exercise, or make it less effective as a shoulder workout?

Thanks, any input appreciated...

Shouldn't make it less effective necessarily.

What is the overall goal you're trying to achieve with the overhead press?

One option may be to just use dumbbells.

I'd be very mildly concerned for safety regarding grip on the curl bar for overhead pressing but if it's comfortable for you, have at it.

I was using dumbbells, but when I discovered the ez bar sitting in a corner, wanted to try it, and it actually it felt very comfortable. Tx Patrick!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I apologise, and you've probably heard this question a million times, but I can't seem to find it (why can't we search just in this forum grrrrr).

Is there any reason why dropping to low calories for an extended period of time to lose weight would be bad?

For reference, I would be talking about 1000 - 1200 calories a day, most likely eaten in an 8 hour window. I weigh ~200lbs so this would be below BMR.

I know this would most likely not be the advised method, but for my mental health this method would be preferable to me. I can't remember if we're on the "starvation mode is a myth" or "starvation mode is valid" train of thought.

I would also be training at the end of the fast and then eating immediately (which I know is not your preference SideSteel from your response to Aigre) so could split up my end fast meal to eat pre and post training if needed.

Video coming soon.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I apologise, and you've probably heard this question a million times, but I can't seem to find it (why can't we search just in this forum grrrrr).

Is there any reason why dropping to low calories for an extended period of time to lose weight would be bad?

For reference, I would be talking about 1000 - 1200 calories a day, most likely eaten in an 8 hour window. I weigh ~200lbs so this would be below BMR.

I know this would most likely not be the advised method, but for my mental health this method would be preferable to me. I can't remember if we're on the "starvation mode is a myth" or "starvation mode is valid" train of thought.

I would also be training at the end of the fast and then eating immediately (which I know is not your preference SideSteel from your response to Aigre) so could split up my end fast meal to eat pre and post training if needed.

Video coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNwnbshpcfQ&feature=youtu.be
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options

Video coming soon.

Thanks! Super helpful video. I, in no way, think you are endorsing this practice :)

Need to consider what I should do really. The nutrients (or lack of) is an interesting point that I hadn't considered.

I have PCOS and have an eternal struggle with nutrition and weight loss. I may adapt a more moderate calorie intake and then do one maintenance day a week instead.

I have training performance to consider too.

Just so I understand, is the need for refeed days a physical need, or something you have found useful from an adherence point of view?
  • SideSteel
    Options

Video coming soon.

Thanks! Super helpful video. I, in no way, think you are endorsing this practice :)

Need to consider what I should do really. The nutrients (or lack of) is an interesting point that I hadn't considered.

I have PCOS and have an eternal struggle with nutrition and weight loss. I may adapt a more moderate calorie intake and then do one maintenance day a week instead.

Just so I understand, is the need for refeed days a physical need, or something you have found useful from an adherence point of view?

I would say it's incredibly useful from an adherence point of view and theoretically useful from a physiological standpoint.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Video coming soon.

I would say it's incredibly useful from an adherence point of view and theoretically useful from a physiological standpoint.

That's a great way of putting it. Without refeed days I used to struggle SO MUCH MORE. Whether it was just mental or not, who knows, and who cares? Success is success.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    I still have a habit on OHP of leaning back as I do them. Is it more a matter of strengthening my core, or throwing my hips back slightly? Or am I just overachieving and need to cut the weights back even further? (I'm already at only a fraction of the weight I can use during a seated OHP.)

I am also interested in the answer to this question :)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Regarding @nossmf 's question about OHP, it's likely that you body is just resorting to it's strongest position and leaning back allows you to incorporate more chest into the movement.

That would be my guess. Try focusing on not doing this with lower loads and you might find that as you add weight you either automatically start doing it or you just can't move the weight.

Total hunch on my part.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Regarding @nossmf 's question about OHP, it's likely that you body is just resorting to it's strongest position and leaning back allows you to incorporate more chest into the movement.

That would be my guess. Try focusing on not doing this with lower loads and you might find that as you add weight you either automatically start doing it or you just can't move the weight.

Total hunch on my part.

I have found this to be very much true. When I am getting to the top of my OHP capacity, I really start to feel it in my back. I realized I was arching my back to bring my chest higher - trying to turn my OHP into a bench press, I guess.

When I notice this happening, I seriously consider a deload to get my form in order before I start progressing again. I try to focus on keeping my glutes and core engaged, and bending my knees just a bit seems to help as well.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,267 Member
    Options
    Nice avatar, @SideSteel. Where did you steal that pic from? lol
  • SideSteel
    Options

Funny thing is this is seriously a combination of really good lighting and me twisting my torso and posing like a douche LOL
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

He stole it from one of my many Grinder accounts.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

He stole it from one of my many Grinder accounts.

lmao
  • Orphanogenesis
    Orphanogenesis Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Simple question...

I'm currently sitting on maintenance with necessary adjustments as the intensity and frequency of my exercise (lifting, mild interval training etc) increases. The question is what is the ideal rep range for compounds and accessories?

...as I am doing body recompostion.

4 day split, upper, lower, rest, upper, lower etc. Currently doing 5-8 rep range for most compounds, accessories 8-12reps. A mixture of strength and hypertrophy.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Simple question...

I'm currently sitting on maintenance with necessary adjustments as the intensity and frequency of my exercise (lifting, mild interval training etc) increases. The question is what is the ideal rep range for compounds and accessories?

4 day split, upper, lower, rest, upper, lower etc. Currently doing 5-8 rep range for most compounds, accessories 8-12reps. A mixture of strength and hypertrophy.

I think optimal is going to vary from individual to individual and it's likely it would take a while of very objective observation to determine this.

The short answer though, is that what you're doing seems quite reasonable to me.
  • Orphanogenesis
    Orphanogenesis Posts: 523 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Simple question...

I think optimal is going to vary from individual to individual and it's likely it would take a while of very objective observation to determine this.

The short answer though, is that what you're doing seems quite reasonable to me.

Thanks. Trying to keep things simple for the moment. The whole cut/bulk cycle was messing with my consistency. Still tracking but at maintenence. I'm still seeing strength gains amd ascetic improvements.

Definitely slower but a more relaxed approach.

ETA: several months so far and no stalls.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My husband has decided he wants to start lifting. I was going to get him started on StrongLifts 5x5 because that's what I used and I'm familiar with it. We have run into one little problem with overhead press though. I have my barbell & rack set up in our basement... my husband is 6'7" tall... I think you can see where I'm going with this. Is a seated overhead press a viable alternative? If not, any other suggestions?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    My husband has decided he wants to start lifting. I was going to get him started on StrongLifts 5x5 because that's what I used and I'm familiar with it. We have run into one little problem with overhead press though. I have my barbell & rack set up in our basement... my husband is 6'7" tall... I think you can see where I'm going with this. Is a seated overhead press a viable alternative? If not, any other suggestions?

Does your rack allow you to set the hooks outside of the rack so he can press outside of the rack?

Depending on what load he needs to use, he could power clean it up. I wouldn't recommend this with heavy loads but it might be fine in the beginning since he's likely using lower loads.

Finally, yes you could do seated OHP.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »

Does your rack allow you to set the hooks outside of the rack so he can press outside of the rack?

Depending on what load he needs to use, he could power clean it up. I wouldn't recommend this with heavy loads but it might be fine in the beginning since he's likely using lower loads.

Finally, yes you could do seated OHP.

Unfortunately, the rack isn't the problem. That's an easy fix. He's so tall the 8' ceiling is the problem. He hits the ceiling or the top of the press.