20 Weeks of Strength Building - Team Finish_No_Matter_What

Options

Replies

• amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Today's workout felt really good! Even the wretched rows felt better than usual. I think the secret for upper body work may lie in using the heavier bar, which is narrower in diameter and fits in my hand better.

Squats: 3x5 @ 135. Sticking with 3x5 for squats, my hip flexors like it much more and all but the very last rep felt really good. I think it also left me with much more energy for BP and WR.
    Benchpress: 5x5 @ 77. Felt so good, way better than 75 last time. Better warmup plus different bar seemed to help a lot.
    (Less) wretched rows: 2x10, 1x5 @ 87 lbs. These actually felt ok. I think I got into a better stance where I had to use my back instead of just arms, and again--thinner bar seems to work out better.

Also, daily humor: I had to wait about 10 min for the squat rack so I was stretching and staying warm while I waited. One of the regulars that I see frequently was coming over to do leg presses near where I was warming up. He waved and said "Ok, how much you squatting today? Bout 450, right?" and flashed a big grin and a thumb's up. It's so cheesy, but I really am a sucker for positive reinforcement/compliments, so having people notice my hard work is a big bonus for my motivation.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-30X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Take a Walk every day! I've been doing awesome and getting in at least 1-2, 2+mile walks a day!

I lost .4 lbs this week. I am working hard to lose 1-2 pounds per week. Still a couple of days left!

• DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Week: 9 Workout: 3
    Squats 70 lbs 4x6
    BP 53 lbs 4x6
    Hyper extensions 4 x 6

Go Team Finish_No_Matter_What
  • DDHFree
    Options
    So crazy busy these last few days. Have a great weekend everyone and stay focused on your goals.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 95
    OHP- 1X5X45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 1X5X95/105/115/120

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X30
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 15X10X30

Walk everyday! I enjoyed a very cold 2 mile brisk walk with Shep!

• amyinthetardis1231
    Options

Squats 3x5 @ 140! One ugly good morning rep but otherwise felt pretty good. May stay here on Monday just to feel really solid before adding more.
    Seated OHP: 5×5 @ 57. I must have gotten into really good form somehow bc this felt great!
    Deadlift: 1×5 @ 160.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-30X 10 X 30

Take a Walk every day! I've been doing awesome and getting in at least 1-2, 2+mile walks a day!

I lost another .4 lbs this makes for a total of .8 lb this week. At least it's still moving in the right direction!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 75

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-16X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Walk every day! Today I am taking a minimum of 2 - 2 1/2 mile walks!

• DDHFree
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great weekend! I've decided to try something different for the next 3 week. I will see how it goes and share my results during the next 4 week report.

Each Exercise require 3 sets and 12 reps with 30 sec rest between each set. 5 and 6 are optional so I will be doing them if time permits.
    1. Kettle bell Goblet Squat
    2. DB Press
    3. DB Bent over row
    4. DB Upright Row
    5. DB Alt Hammer Curl
    6. Barbell Tricep Extension
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    I actually have noticeable DOMS this week after Saturday's deadlifts, which I haven't really gotten in a while. My traps and hammies are feeling it, but not enough to deter me from working out today.

Squats: 3x5 @ 145. I'm stopping here for the remainder of the week, which is only one more workout due to traveling. I was having some trouble the last few reps of the third set and my depth suffered a bit.
    Bench press: 5x5 @ 77, same as last time.
    Wretched rows: 5x5 @ 87, same as last time.

I feel ok with staying at the same weights this workout. It's day 1.5/2 of shark week, which are always the heaviest days (sorry for TMI), and my lower back always aches fiercely during shark week. I debated skipping WRs altogether but made myself do them. Super glad when they were done though!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-32X 10 X 30

Very short walk in extreme cold, snow and wind!
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Week: 10 Workout: 2

I was surprised at how sore I got (still sore) from just using dumb bells. But I guess if it's something new to the body then that's the response. I'm enjoying it and enjoying doing something different.

All exercise 3 x 12 with 30 secs rest.
    Kettle bell Goblet Squat
    DB Press
    DB Bent over row
    DB Upright Row
    DB Alt Hammer Curl
    Barbell Tricep Extension
  • fanncy0626
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1X5X45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 1X5X95/105/115/120

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X30
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 16X10X30

Walk daily! Very short 1 mile walk today because of extreme cold and wind! Blizzard like conditions.

My keto diet has been going awesome! I lost another .4 pounds! Because of trying to cut the rest of my fat, I am not trying to increase the amount of weight I am lifting until I hit my weight loss goal.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Mary, you are doing soooooooooo great! I am so inspired by your continued progress. Keep going like you are and you will hit that 40 lb by May.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    DDHFree wrote: »
    Mary, you are doing soooooooooo great! I am so inspired by your continued progress. Keep going like you are and you will hit that 40 lb by May.

Thanks! You are doing fantastic as well! Love your new workout routine. You're sure to build strength.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    DDHFree wrote: »

Thanks! You are doing fantastic as well! Love your new workout routine. You're sure to build strength.

Thank you. I finally feel like things are going in the right direction again.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Sigh....guys, I am having a crappy day and it is definitely reflected in my workout. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed and got some bad news first thing in the morning, and I can't shake the mood. I had a blood sugar crash this morning right before I went to the gym (rare since I went low carb) and ended up scarfing a cereal bar to stop the shakes, but my workout sucked. I'm blaming it at least partly on shark week making me anemic, but overall I just wish I could get a re-do on today overall.

Squats: 3x5 at 145. I was struggling the whole time. No chance of moving up in weight next time.

OHP: What a joke. My skinny heavy bar wasn't available so I had to use the regular one. Failed the first set of 55lb and struggled to get 3x5 @ 50. I don't know why the bar makes such a difference, but apparently it does. I was going to try and finish out my sets but I got a sudden cramp in my trap and almost fell off the bench so I gave up.

Deadlifts: Again, my hex bar was in use to back to the straight bar, which I haven't used in a while. I deloaded a little since the stance is slightly different. 1x5 @ 142, which was ok, but I pushed my hips too far forward at the top of the first one and had to take a couple steps backwards to rebalance. I did a second set in sumo just cause, but I think my form was not great b/c I felt it in my lower back more than I think I should.

Overall, felt like crap today. I feel like people were looking at me and watching me struggle, even though I know they weren't really. I am also having a hard time sticking to my deficit lately, perhaps partly due to shark week, and just kind of feeling crappy about everything. BLAH.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-34X 10 X 30

Very short walk again today in extreme cold and wind!

• DDHFree
    Options
    Amy, so sorry you are having a bad day. I hope it has improved by the time you get this response. In spite of how you felt, you still made it to the gym -- that deserves acknowledgement all on its own.

And let me tell you how much I can relate to the TOM thing (I'm assuming that's what meant by shark week :) ) That is what threw me off my game last month and then flu followed after that. I am still trying not to be bitter about the whole thing. But things are going well now and it will for you too so don't dwell on that one bad day. My TOM should begin on Sunday so I need to start planning how I am going to get through it without doing something I ALWAYS regret.
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am still in the throws of dealing with this injury. My sciatic and leg pain are awful, I went 9 days ago for a 60 minute massage and just scheduled a 90 for tonight and went to the chiropractor because the aching pain makes it hard to sleep at night. Next step is to go to the doctor and get some muscle relaxers to add to the mix. This SUCKS! Going on 6 months of this issue, and I thought it was resolved a few months ago and came back worse than ever :(
    I might add some walking in for exercise, but my chiropractor said physical therapy isnt out of the question. He said I might have to retrain the muscles since one side is obviously weaker than the other. This blows extra hard because I am trying for a baby and muscle relaxers and PT arent exactly the best when you are pregnant.

I feel like I should drop out of this group, but I really would rather be well enough to be completing the challenge with you all. :'(