20 Weeks of Strength Building - Team Finish_No_Matter_What

Options

Replies

• DDHFree
    DDHFree Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Okay, let's kick butt for the next 4 weeks! I have a lot making up to do.

Week: 9 Workout: 1
    Squats 73 lbs 4x6
    Bench Press 53, 53, 53, 58 lbs
    Hyper extensions 4 x 6

Go Team Finish_No_Matter_What
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I feel like the class dud looking at the impressive numbers posted here! Today was my last workout for February, and it was a decent workout but my weight and inches have made almost no change since I started in January. Blah, stupid slow metabolism and crap.

Today's workout:
    Squats 5x5 @ 130. Couple ugly reps but mostly pretty solid.
    Seated OHP 5x5 @ 55. Felt hard but not like I was dying.
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 155. I think I might hit bodyweight before I hit a wall in deadlifts!
  • cherrybomb333
    cherrybomb333 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 you're doing awesome! I've always found it extremely hard to drop weight or inches when I'm focused on strength building. But progress is progress, and you're doing great! (For the record, your post on moving up to plates for squats made me push myself out of my comfort zone, so thank you for the inspiration!)
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    @cherrybomb333, thank you for that. I am pretty frustrated that the weight loss has slowed to a crawl, since I have 35-50 more lbs to shed, but I also enjoy the strength gains. I want to look better at my goal weight so I'm going to keep up with SL, but maybe I need to add some more cardio on the off days to increase my deficit without cutting into muscle recovery. Also, I'm happy that my fling with big plates inspired you! I had to deload right after, but I'll be back on them on Thursday, probably doing 3x5 from then on. Who run the world? Girls.
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Amy, I agree with Cherrybomb that you are indeed making progress. Just make sure that you don't go backward as that's my regret when I gained during the difficult weeks. Just keep making progress in the right direction and you WILL get there.

I love that song.. "Who Run the World-- Girls!"
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Amy You will not be building much muscle during a deficit. What you will be doing is retaining muscle and losing fat. You can build strength through repetition and muscle memory. For me, I have probably hit the wall as far as strength gains because I am trying to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week so I am eating at a decent deficit. I am very OK with that! You might want to check out what people do when they are doing a cut in body building.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 95
    OHP- 1X5X45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 1X5X95/105/115

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X30
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 14X10X30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Exercise daily and stay under calories.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

Thanks, I'll check this out
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-28X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Take a Walk every day!

• DDHFree
    Options
    Week: 9 Workout: 2
    Deadlifts 103 lbs 4x6
    OHP 40 lbs 4x6
    Hyper extensions 4 x 6

• Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I am sorry to say that I have had quite a bit of leg pain since last week, and have been doing self massage, baths, stretching and it kept getting worse. After an hour massage last night (where she said I was super tight from butt to ankle!) I am still feeling tight and in pain. I have scheduled myself a 90 minute massage for 2 weeks from now. I dont know why the pain and tightness has come back so strongly, but right now this is my main focus. I think squats are off the table indefinitely for now :(

Instead of moping about it, I am putting my energy in to walking, stretching and healing. Through all this I have been quite good at my diet, and have no regrets there (it was just a little bit of ice cream...twice ;) )The scale is continuing to trend downward, but I have not been doing any strength training at all for weeks now. Sometimes you just have to change your priorities and refocus as needed.

I am down a full 10 POUNDS! Woohoo! only 15 more to go to meet my goal for this challenge. I 'll have to stay really on top of my diet to achieve this, since my workouts are limited for now.

So proud of you all getting your workouts in (and jealous, too!) Keep on kicking butt ladies!

Checking in:
    Plan: SL5x5
    Start Date: 1/1/2017 {204#}
    End Date: 05/21/2017 {179#}
    Goals:
    1. lose 25# of fat {193.6#: down 10.4#}
    2. stick to a low carb diet {check!}
    3. Follow hunger cues, and only eat when hungry {every week this gets better}
    4. Improve mobility and be rid of the pain in my leg {backslid on this one badly} :(
    5. Strengthen my back and hips (injury prevention) {just taking it easy here}
  • DDHFree
    Options
    Hey Kirstie, we are here for you. The whole point of doing this stuff is to have a healthy body so you definitely don't want to do anything that might cause more pain. I love that you are staying with your diet. Perhaps look at doing some easy body resistance movements for those painful parts -- of course only if it will help.

Gotta love that "healthy" jealousy. I am envious of Mary's amazing fat loss this month. I call it "healthy" jealousy because we motivate each other to keep on moving on. We got this!!!

• amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Kirstie155 wrote: »
    Hi ladies. I am sorry to say that I have had quite a bit of leg pain since last week, and have been doing self massage, baths, stretching and it kept getting worse. After an hour massage last night (where she said I was super tight from butt to ankle!) I am still feeling tight and in pain. I have scheduled myself a 90 minute massage for 2 weeks from now. I dont know why the pain and tightness has come back so strongly, but right now this is my main focus. I think squats are off the table indefinitely for now :(

Instead of moping about it, I am putting my energy in to walking, stretching and healing. Through all this I have been quite good at my diet, and have no regrets there (it was just a little bit of ice cream...twice ;) )The scale is continuing to trend downward, but I have not been doing any strength training at all for weeks now. Sometimes you just have to change your priorities and refocus as needed.

I am down a full 10 POUNDS! Woohoo! only 15 more to go to meet my goal for this challenge. I 'll have to stay really on top of my diet to achieve this, since my workouts are limited for now.

So proud of you all getting your workouts in (and jealous, too!) Keep on kicking butt ladies!

Checking in:
    Plan: SL5x5
    Start Date: 1/1/2017 {204#}
    End Date: 05/21/2017 {179#}
    Goals:
    1. lose 25# of fat {193.6#: down 10.4#}
    2. stick to a low carb diet {check!}
    3. Follow hunger cues, and only eat when hungry {every week this gets better}
    4. Improve mobility and be rid of the pain in my leg {backslid on this one badly} :(
    5. Strengthen my back and hips (injury prevention) {just taking it easy here}

Kirstie, is it possible you pulled something? When I've pulled/torn a hamstring in the past (it's happened more than once), the surrounding soft tissue became very tight and very sore no matter what I did. If you have a soft tissue injury, stretching will only exacerbate it. Maybe give it some time of RICE/hot bath and leave it alone for a few days, see how it feels then? Sorry to hear your workouts will be tabled for a while, I know that's really frustrating, but I also know from experience that if you have an actual injury, there's no other way to heal than to take time off.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Taking one more day off between workouts, but back to the gym tomorrow. My hip flexors seem to be appreciating the extra day off and the deload, so hopefully they don't hate me when I'm back to my current personal best in squats tomorrow.

Checking in on my goals:
    1. Consistently eat low carb/high fat at least 80% of the time (below 75g carbs daily)--I haven't been logging every single day but when I go, I'm usually pretty good on this. Yesterday was pretty high for carbs, but still below 150 therefore still by all definitions low carb.

2. Workout at least 3x/week consistently--I have been doing well with this aside from illness/injury!

3. Lose 25 lb of fat--Not going to happen by the end of the challenge, after stalling so badly this month. Down a whopping 1.4 lb in February, 8 total from the beginning of the year. Very frustrating, but also down a couple inches all over.

4. To maintain current muscle mass--I don't actually have a good way to measure this, since I haven't done a bodpod or anything like that, but I've been able to increase my squats weight by 90 lbs since I started in November, DL by 90 lb, BP by 25 lb, OHP by 10 lb, and wretched rows by 40lb.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies! Quick check in:

I started Strong Curves last Monday (2/20) - which (for those of you who don't know) follows a 3x/wk schedule (A,B,C), or a 4x/wk schedule (A,B,A,C). I got A done on Monday, and B done on Wednesday, but didn't get anything done since - as my one year old has come down with some virus and has been fevering since Thursday. :disappointed::cry: He's not getting better and the Dr can't figure it out, so we're waiting. I figured I will pick back up tomorrow or Friday with workout C and just continue from where I left off, since I'm still technically on week 1. Thoughts?
  • cherrybomb333
    Options
    @tiffanylacourse Sorry to hear about your son. I hope he's feeling better!

Personally, I would continue with C and see how you feel. You haven't missed too much time that a full restart would be necessary, imo. Definitely listen to your body though and deload if you need to.
  • cherrybomb333
    Options
    Week 9: Day 1

Deadlift
    155lb x 4 x 3
    160lb x 4 x 3

OHP
    60 x 4 x 6

Dumbbell Shrug
    35 x 8 x 2

Hammer Curls
    15 x 8 x 1
    20 x 8 x 1

Triceps Extensions
    30 x 8 x 2

Hanging Leg Raise
    12 x 5

Seated Calf Raise
    30lb x 20 x 3
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 75

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-15X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Walk every day! Today I am taking a minimum of 2 - 2 1/2 mile walks!