Who we are and why we do the things we do

Options
Sunny_Bunny_
Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
I'm feeling all deep and philosophical today guys. Bare with me, I'm going to try really really hard to be brief. This isn't really "diet" related but the links I included could lead to some personal understanding or growth that benefits you in that area.
Ok, lets ride!

I am in a kind of funky, down but also uplifted mood today in response to, of all things, an internet argument I was in last night.
Ya'all, I went and got myself banned from a Facebook group! For real! The thing is, I truly didn't do anything wrong. I know I know... stay with me. Without detailing the whole insane mess, what basically happened was I made a comment presenting a perspective that wasn't controversial or anything. It was just, sharing my own experience while literally including that I wasn't opposing the others ideas at all. I actually included words to make sure I wasn't being misunderstood. I wasn't stating anything as fact or science in any way.
I got immediately attacked by 3 people that replied in such a way that I knew they misunderstood me. I directed them back to what I originally said and told them they were misunderstanding.
This went on to the three of them literally mocking me and saying they knew what I "really meant" and actually making fun of me with each other.
Some other people tried to step in and they got attacked too.
At the end, I was actually able to prove that they misunderstood me and I got a crappy apology from one of them and I stopped commenting/defending myself. The worst offender acknowledged the misunderstanding at first then started back in on me again (even after I stopped commenting) and this morning I see that I'm banned. The one that was the most rude to me is an admin on that page and also on a forum elsewhere. If anyone wants to know who to be careful of, message me and I'll let you know. I really wish I would've screenshot it because it was seriously crazy how bent and twisted they were behaving.

Ok anyway, this whole thing got me thinking about why we do the things we do because I felt so bullied by these people. It upset me more than it should have but I realize I have a hardcore need for mean people to just not be able to get away with it! Lol Two very nice people associated with another very reputable group messaged me to invite me to their group and I found out this behavior from the others is nothing new. These are big groups you guys. The mean admin has been a particular podcasts guest a few times. One of the nice peeps is friends with the groups founder and actually told me he messaged him directly on my behalf because of wrong it was and assured me I hadn't said anything out of line. Actually complimenting me on how I handled their bullying.
Anyway, I'm trying to not make this too long and failing miserably.
Because I started thinking about personalities while talking to one of the rescuers, I remembered this site I took a personality test on a while back. I think these are fun and help us understand our own behavior and that of others.
Because of my test, I know why such a stupid thing bothered me so much. I felt misunderstood and then I felt a need for justice. I will let it go of course because I also know these things are just going to happen and just because I feel something 'should' happen, doesn't mean it needs to happen for me to be just fine.
I started thinking some of you guys might like this site too. It's kinda nice to feel understood even if it is just from a personality assessment online. (Imagine emoji here because I don't want it to eat my post)
Here's a link to the test page. It's free. And fun!

https://www.16personalities.com

And if you're curious about my particular personality assessment in case my rambling post has you thinking I'm a few marbles short today.... here are my strengths and weaknesses. They make my dumb internet argument story make sense. Lol

INFP strengths and weaknesses.
https://www.16personalities.com/infp-strengths-and-weaknesses

I'd love to hear what others assessments say.
I'm really hoping for this to be about the personalities and how understanding ourselves can be beneficial in different ways, especially if it helps with your low carb goals.
I'm definitely not after a discussion about internet bullies. They exist, even in surprising places. That's just gonna have to be ok.

I hope you enjoy your assessments.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    I'm feeling all deep and philosophical today guys. Bare with me, I'm going to try really really hard to be brief. This isn't really "diet" related but the links I included could lead to some personal understanding or growth that benefits you in that area.
    Ok, lets ride!

I am in a kind of funky, down but also uplifted mood today in response to, of all things, an internet argument I was in last night.
    Ya'all, I went and got myself banned from a Facebook group! For real! The thing is, I truly didn't do anything wrong. I know I know... stay with me. Without detailing the whole insane mess, what basically happened was I made a comment presenting a perspective that wasn't controversial or anything. It was just, sharing my own experience while literally including that I wasn't opposing the others ideas at all. I actually included words to make sure I wasn't being misunderstood. I wasn't stating anything as fact or science in any way.
    I got immediately attacked by 3 people that replied in such a way that I knew they misunderstood me. I directed them back to what I originally said and told them they were misunderstanding.
    This went on to the three of them literally mocking me and saying they knew what I "really meant" and actually making fun of me with each other.
    At the end, I was actually able to prove that they misunderstood me and I got a crappy apology from one of them and I stopped commenting/defending myself. The worst offender acknowledged the misunderstanding at first then started back in on me again (even after I stopped commenting) and this morning I see that I'm banned. The one that was the most rude to me is an admin on that page and also on a forum elsewhere. If anyone wants to know who to be careful of, message me and I'll let you know. I really wish I would've screenshot it because it was seriously crazy how bent and twisted they were behaving.

Ok anyway, this whole thing got me thinking about why we do the things we do because I felt so bullied by these people. It upset me more than it should have but I realize I have a hardcore need for mean people to just not be able to get away with it! Lol Two very nice people associated with another very reputable group messaged me to invite me to their group and I found out this behavior from the others is nothing new. These are big groups you guys. The mean admin has been a particular podcasts guest a few times. One of the nice peeps is friends with the groups founder and actually told me he messaged him directly on my behalf because of wrong it was and assured me I hadn't said anything out of line. Actually complimenting me on how I handled their bullying.
    Because I started thinking about personalities while talking to one of the rescuers, I remembered this site I took a personality test on a while back. I think these are fun and help us understand our own behavior and that of others.
    Because of my test, I know why such a stupid thing bothered me so much. I felt misunderstood and then I felt a need for justice. I will let it go of course because I also know these things are just going to happen and just because I feel something 'should' happen, doesn't mean it needs to happen for me to be just fine.
    I started thinking some of you guys might like this site too. It's kinda nice to feel understood even if it is just from a personality assessment online. (Imagine emoji here because I don't want it to eat my post)

And if you're curious about my particular personality assessment in case my rambling post has you thinking I'm a few marbles short today.... here are my strengths and weaknesses. They make my dumb internet argument story make sense. Lol

I'm really hoping for this to be about the personalities and how understanding ourselves can be beneficial in different ways, especially if it helps with your low carb goals.
    I'm definitely not after a discussion about internet bullies. They exist, even in surprising places. That's just gonna have to be ok.

Ha. We're twins. :wink:
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you gallowmere!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Ok, lets ride!

Ha. We're twins. :wink:

I knew there was a good reason I liked you! :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

This is a strong but great quality I definitely see from your communications.
    "Independent and Decisive – This creativity, logic and confidence come together to form individuals who stand on their own and take responsibility for their own actions. Authority figures do not impress INTJs, nor do social conventions or tradition, and no matter how popular something is"

I can always understand the logic in the things you suggest even if I don't totally feel the exact same
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've done personality tests, and I know I'm not a "people person." I'm actually very smart and have a lot of knowledge, but just can't seem to figure out how to communicate with other people. Specifically with online message boards, groups, etc.; I've found that my lack of communication abilities doesn't really seem to matter anyway. Moderators usually don't care about your post... they only seem to care about how other people react. It is reinforcement of group-think.

For example, in a diabetic group I'm a part of on Facebook (includes both type 1's and type 2's), someone made a post asking for ideas of low carb foods. She didn't say it, but my guess is that her doctor suggested this (good job on him/her if that is the case). Several people made comments. One person made 3 separate comments for 3 separate memes of "diabetic foods" listed. Under each of these meme comments, I noted which foods were listed that were or were not actually low carb... for example, pointing out that "whole grain bread" is not a low carb food. That person must have complained because one of the mods messaged me saying these foods listed are "healthy" and that I shouldn't have commented on them. I responded that the question was not about "healthy" at all, but about "low carb" and that my comments were absolutely appropriate. She didn't have a good argument about that, so then she complained how I shouldn't have commented under each post. The same person had made 3 comments under the main post, so why am I limited to only 1 comment?! Anyway, the bottom line is that somebody got upset and took my corrections personally. Did I intend them to be personal? No. There is no way I think I could have phrased the facts to be both informative and to avoid this person from taking them as a personal attack of some sort on her memes. Even though I was totally right, and I could tell the mod knew I was right, she was just acting based upon the reaction of another person. This isn't the only example... I've seen that on a lot of sites and in a lot of circumstances. Sometimes I just think mods need to tell those who are over-reacting to step back and evaluate after they have cooled off.

ETA: I got Logistician: https://www.16personalities.com/istj-personality
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

"Taking a certain pleasure in being the underdog, ENTPs enjoy the mental exercise found in questioning the prevailing mode of thought"

Are you sure you're just low carb for health ;)
  • carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    mine is what I thought it'd be:
    https://www.16personalities.com/isfj-personality
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    This is one of many tests I have taken - my degree is in psychology, although the last psychology class I took was 20+ years ago. It is a pretty good test, IMO.

https://www.16personalities.com/estp-personality
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options

"Taking a certain pleasure in being the underdog, ENTPs enjoy the mental exercise found in questioning the prevailing mode of thought"

no - I'm low-carb because I cannot control myself around carbs (I binge until I'm stuffed) ;););)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

no - I'm low-carb because I cannot control myself around carbs (I binge until I'm stuffed) ;););)

Me too! Well, when it was candy anyway...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

"Imaginative and Observant – ISFJs are very imaginative, and use this quality as an accessory to empathy, observing others’ emotional states and seeing things from their perspective. With their feet firmly planted on the ground, it is a very practical imagination, though they do find things quite fascinating and inspiring."

Love it!!!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    This is one of many tests I have taken - my degree is in psychology, although the last psychology class I took was 20+ years ago. It is a pretty good test, IMO.

https://www.16personalities.com/estp-personality

"Original – Combining their boldness and practicality, ESTPs love to experiment with new ideas and solutions. They put things together in ways no one else would think to."

Now that's a helpful quality for sure!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    So what on earth does it say about me that I always have two, usually opposite responses to each question? The optimal - what I try to do ME - and the reality, how it all plays out me???
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    So what on earth does it say about me that I always have two, usually opposite responses to each question? The optimal - what I try to do ME - and the reality, how it all plays out me???

Ha! I don't know... see what insight the test provides :)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    https://www.16personalities.com/isfp-personality

ISFP-T

I got this result twice so I guess it's accurate but honestly I don't really feel like it's me. Small aspects but on the whole no. So the introverted part is right. The being in tune with other's emotions is right. I guess I am easy to get along with because I dislike conflict and am very live and let live. However I'm not what I'd describe as an adventurer. I do not like risky behavior like gambling or extreme sports. I am not particularly creative or artistic. I would say I do not live in the moment. I am constantly focused on what I could have done different 10 years ago to improve my outcome today yet am very complacent in the moment thus making the same mistakes. My friends are not surprised at my introverted-ness when I step out of the spotlight they'd be surprised if I stepped in! True story my friend used to like playing bingo and I hated going because I had such anxiety about having to yell bingo...we had a deal that I ever hit bingo we'd trade cards and she'd call it for me. I would rather give up the prize than yell bingo. lol
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Well ...... definitely a "P" at the end of your type. ;)

Me .... I am one of the rescuers. Cannot help myself. When there is upset or injustice or when there is a misfit looking for a friend.

I love this test. Did it years ago when working in an IT department. Surrounded by INTJ or INTP in both home and work ....

I am a INFJ. No wonder I did not fit in!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure I would agree with the outcome because I wasn't sure I was answering the questions totally honestly....lol....but I think it did figure me out...

https://www.16personalities.com/isfj-personality