ifebruary workout was wonderful . . .

Replies

• jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Today's workout
    Squats 2x5@47lbs,67lbs.5x5@102lbs.these felt quite easy so I'm happy to be moving back up.

Ohp 2x5@37lbs 5x5@47lbs.still at this weight .

Deadlift 1x5@100lbs 1x5@143lbs.first time at this weight so really pleased!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    canadianlbs- thanks for sticking up for someone who needed help!
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 6x5x30
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 20x10x30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Exercise daily and meet or under calorie goal!

Keto 3 Week Challenge February 5th-25th
    I fought off all temptations! My husband bought me a Valentines gift even though I told him no candy...cheddar brats score!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 17,513 Member
    There's no need to fear...canadianlbs is here! (not sure any of you know the Underdog show reference)

Well, it turns out I WAS getting sick two days ago. Feverish and sore throat last night, sore throat and achy neck today. So much for today's workout. I am not all laid out so not so bad, but I shouldn't go out yet. Had to postpone a dentist appointment as well.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    oh my. those hamstrings . . .

i got into - not a fight really but a showdown on the bus with one of those jesus-freak haters who was picking on this really young moslem woman until i couldn't take it anymore and got between them. stuff like this is never movie-dramatic when you're actually stuck in the cross-hairs of it. it's just . . . lame. you don't turn into stallone. you just look lame and you sound lame and you feel pompous and squeaky and lame, and just ugh. nobody's ever written a true-to-reality movie script about things like this. there aren't any heroes really. just people exposing their dorkishness.

he was super angry but he shut up. still don't know why, but i was sooo glad when he threw himself off the bus a few stops later. i don't think i dramatize, but i'm not a bunny rabbit either. he really was someone i would have headed straight to a bright place with witnesses and demanded somebody call for the cops if he'd followed me off at my own stop. so i was relieved because damn it. i had plans to go lift. didn't want to spend my evening hanging around in a gas station with him outside it like a rabid dog.

anyway, thanks for the outlet. i did go and lift, 10x5 overhead press with no rack. it was good, but i guess it just kind of postponed the jangles instead of killing them off.

You rock, canadian.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    lkpducky wrote: »
    @amyinthetardis1231 hey whatever works! nothing silly about it. I wish I had your numbers! My fractionals are saved for OHP.

My get up and go got up and went during today's workout. It's like my stomach didn't digest my lunch or else didn't send the nutrients to my bloodstream. I felt weak and without adrenaline.
    I wanted to start with bench press but all benches were taken - including one guy doing supersets with dumbbell bicep curls and then curling with the Oly bar (!!)

The squat rack was empty so I grabbed it.
    Squats: 1 x 10 @ 55lb, 1 x 10 @ 60 lb, 2 x 5 @ 60 lb, 2 x 5 @ 65 lb.

Barbell rows: 5 x 5 @ 65 lb and felt somewhat better

Then 2 more sets of 5 reps of squats at 65 lb, then felt a lack of adrenaline so I said f--- this for a game of soldiers

Bench press: two warmup sets of 65 lb.
    Then 4 x 5 @ 75 lb - then attempted the 5th and couldn't, and the bar didn't catch the left side peg and reached my chest. I yelled Dammit! and someone caught the bar and then offered a spot. I accepted. Managed 4 more reps at 75 lb but that was it. Hey, last time I did 4 x 5 @ 70 lb and then 1 x 5 @ 75 lb so there is an improvement. But for some reason I was losing concentration, not visualizing the bar going up to the right point.

The guy using the bench press before me was nice and offered to let me work in (he had only one set left anyway). He was wearing a Robotics Team shirt from a local high school - told me he'd been on the engineering track but his math skills weren't enough. I told him about a group I belong to, the National Space Society, and suggested he check us out. He'd heard of us. Always nice to meet a fellow geek.

Came out feeling rather deflated. Maybe I'm just starting to get ill - my husband was home ill yesterday and today.

Good job getting back on it after a scare!
  • lkpducky
    YAY!!!!!
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    edited February 2017
    Hello ladies! I haven't posted in the monthly thread yet because... well because I just now figured out that you have monthly threads. :#

I'm in week 4 of SL 5x5 and I'm really loving it, this is my first foray into lifting and I'm freakin' stoked about it. But today I'm coming down with something, chills, achy, exhausted. Hopefully I'll be better for Friday's workout. But I look forward to getting to know you ladies and learning and lifting more!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    squats - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135, belt 3x5 @ 165
    good morning - 3x10 @ 95
    pause squats - 2x5 @ 95
    sumo deadlift - 1x8 @ 135, 1x5 @ 165, belt 3x6 @ 185
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    I came down with a cold on Sunday. Monday's workout was fine, but the cold seems to be peaking in severity tonight. Looks like I'll be skipping my workout. :( For the first time ever I really don't want to! But I know it's best for me (and for others, no need to spread germs). I have a big presentation at school on Friday so I need to speed up this recovery.

I use the Stronglifts app and follow the program exactly. Any idea if it will tell me to deload if I go 1 week without lifting?
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    BIG GIRL PLATES FOR SQUATS!

wow! so amazing. i wish we had the party-honker and confetti emojis in here.

• lkpducky
    BIG GIRL PLATES FOR SQUATS!

wow! so amazing. i wish we had the party-honker and confetti emojis in here.

Seriously!
  • lkpducky
    Well, I was feeling somewhat better this afternoon - just a bit of throat scratchiness and a bit of neck ache. I worked out with the weights I have at home.

OHP with dumbbells: 2 x 15 @ 5 lb, 2 x 10 @ 10 lb, 5 x 5 @ 15 lb. then tried a couple of sets of 4 at 16 lbs (thanks fractional weights)

Bicep curls 5 x 5 @ 15 lb dumbbells

Deadlift 2 x 5 with 25 lb dumbbells. For some odd reason the dumbbells felt harder to hang onto than the fixed 60-lb barbell I use at the gym.

No squats because my legs are somewhat achy from two days ago, and from a 5-mile run-walk yesterday.
  • canadianlbs
    rode to work for the first time in idk, probably almost ten days. the snow's gone, finally.

probably drove people mad, because i rode very slowly. the entire thing is just an exercise in rehab/physio to tell the truth. it's not cycling; it's 'how do you ride a bike without agitating 70% of your muscles and which actual muscles are that other thirty percent?' i'm going to beat this tfl/hip syndrome if i have to hold up traffic from here to moose jaw for the next seven months.

i'll tell you guys a fun thing though. there's an electronic scale in the locker room at this job, and nobody was around while i was changing. so i indulged myself by stripping down to t-shirt and underpants and socks, and then slowly dressing myself with a weigh-in at every stage. tights weigh one pound. skimpy little sweater weighed 300 grammes. my muddy buddy rain pants were another pound, at least. and the boots were a pound and a half.

when i put my backpack on with the computer in it, i went all the way up to 152. so adding in the bike, the helmet, poncho, gloves, lock, lock caddy, rack, lights, blender bottle, i think it's not irrational to say that me and my bike probably weigh more than i can deadlift right now :P
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    16/2/17
    Squats 24.5 kg (54 lbs) 5*5
    OP 22 kg (48.5 lbs) 5*5
    Dead lift 40 kg (88 lbs) 1*5

8/2/17

Bench press 22 kg (48.5 lbs) 5*5

BarbellRow 30 kg (66.1 lbs) 5*1

Since I have picked up running now it's like juggling the balance between SL and running. I have decided to give myself two days break between SL session and no long run (10 km) on the same day. I hope this strategy would help me in recovering faster. I love both and don't want to chose.
    @canadianlbs You are my hero!!
  • mustb60
    Kittyfeliz wrote: »
    Hello ladies! I haven't posted in the monthly thread yet because... well because I just now figured out that you have monthly threads. :#

I'm in week 4 of SL 5x5 and I'm really loving it, this is my first foray into lifting and I'm freakin' stoked about it. But today I'm coming down with something, chills, achy, exhausted. Hopefully I'll be better for Friday's workout. But I look forward to getting to know you ladies and learning and lifting more!
    I have posted late as well. ;) Welcome KittyFeliz! :)
  • mustb60
    edited February 2017
    mustb60 wrote: »
    16/2/17
    OP 22 kg (48.5 lbs) 5*5

8/2/17

Bench press 22 kg (48.5 lbs) 5*5

BarbellRow 30 kg (66.1 lbs) 5*1

Since I have picked up running now it's like juggling the balance between SL and running. I have decided to give myself two days break between SL session and no long run (10 km) on the same day. I hope this strategy would help me in recovering faster. I love both and don't want to chose.
    @canadianlbs You are my hero!!

I can't believe what mistake I made today with my absentmindedness!! For squat I put 5kg+2.5 kg+1.25 kg plates on each side of barbell and didn't even add up the numbers!! So it was 29.5 kg and here I was thinking why the regular 24.5 kg is feeling so heavy...?!! I was blaming my gap in lifting session!! :dizzy: Lot's of pep up talk to my mind and gritted through the squat finally. Now when going through the notepad of my phone I noticed how much I upped the weight and even managed to lift it! :smiley:

Corrected:
    16/2/17
    Squats 29.5 kg (65 lbs) 5*5
    OP 22 kg (48.5 lbs) 5*5
  • amyinthetardis1231
    jenxbowers wrote: »
    I came down with a cold on Sunday. Monday's workout was fine, but the cold seems to be peaking in severity tonight. Looks like I'll be skipping my workout. :( For the first time ever I really don't want to! But I know it's best for me (and for others, no need to spread germs). I have a big presentation at school on Friday so I need to speed up this recovery.

I use the Stronglifts app and follow the program exactly. Any idea if it will tell me to deload if I go 1 week without lifting?

It'll ask if you want to deload, which I did when I was out sick. Nothing wrong with a deload! Feels better
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 75

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-10 X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Exercise daily and stay below calories!

We are over the halfway mark for this challenge! Congratulations everyone! Menu planning is still a little difficult but doable! I don't have a lot of time to cook too many new things!
  • jen_092

It'll ask if you want to deload, which I did when I was out sick. Nothing wrong with a deload! Feels better

Thanks!!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member

one arm db row - 3x10 @ 37.5
    db fly - 3x8 @ 20
    seated db shoulder press - 3x10 @ 20
    lat pull down - 3x8 @ 75
    30 minute walk on treadmill with 2 incline and speed of 3.2
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-22X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Exercise daily and stay under calorie goal!

I am still in ketosis and still burning fat! I am averaging a little over 2 pounds loss per week. I can hardly wait to take my measurements next week!
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Jen - I'm going to have to deload as well, been sick all week and won't be able to get to the gym until Monday which will be 1 week. I'm bummed I missed the whole week but glad my illness included nausea so at least I didn't go over calories all week. :D
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Squats 4x5 @ 135
    OHP 5x5 @ 52
    Deadlifts 1x @ 145
  • canadianlbs
    t day and 5s week. mr squats STILL talking car buying. i couldn't believe it. i had to stop him, but i gave him 30 minutes or so to repeat the same stuff he'd already said last week, so it's not like i didn't try to split the difference with him.

press 47.5/50/57.5.
    deadlift 110/130/150.

now that i think about the press, i'm not so sure it was really those weights. they seem high, but i did warmups at 35/35/42.5, and i definitely remember 47.5 because we switched my bar out. so i guess yeah.

don't know what i think about dl. i kept my hips high and in one way they felt startlingly easy - like, the quad/leg burn wasn't there because i think this time my glutes were working. but in another, i'm obviously not that accustomed to using a real hip hinge to manage most of 150 pounds off the floor, and the bar felt like it floated out in front quite a bit. so need more lats too, is my guess.
  • jen_092
    Kittyfeliz wrote: »
    Jen - I'm going to have to deload as well, been sick all week and won't be able to get to the gym until Monday which will be 1 week. I'm bummed I missed the whole week but glad my illness included nausea so at least I didn't go over calories all week. :D

Lol! I can't say the same but nausea is no fun! I hope you feel better. Resting for a few days really helped me, luckily.

Bugs are definitely going around, stay vigilant, friends!
  • lkpducky
    Same here. Still sick. Had to forego yesterday's workout. I have to get better soon because I've got a 2-3 hour (depending on traffic) drive on Monday to go to a conference. BAH
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Today's workout
    Squats 2x5@70lbs 5x5×104lbs.
    Bench 1x5@47lbs 5x5@64lbs.first time at this weight!
    Rows 5x5@68lbs .
    Glute bridge 5x10@70lbs.
    60 bulgarian split squats,30 each leg.
  • fanncy0626
    edited February 2017
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1X5X45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 1X5X95/105/115

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X30