Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-26X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    Exercise daily and stay at or under calorie goal.

Keto 3 Week Challenge February 5th-25th
    Last 2 days! I am planning on continuing on with this way of eating!
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Squats 5x5 @ 125
    Bench Press 5x5 @ 75. Some real ugly reps in the middle, prob stay here next time too.
    Wretched rows 5x5 @ 85
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Missed reporting on the earlier workout this week, as it's been, well, disheartening that I managed to re-hurt my back... Doing a single sets of 5 squats with ONLY THE BAR (bear in mind, I've squatted over 200lbs before. The bar is LIGHTWEIGHT, but apparently it's my squat mechanics with Zeuh Baaaaahr that have caused the QL (or whatever it is) issue, and deadlifts/bent-over exercises were not the cause but a symptom of that issue. So I guess I'm gonna have to go even further back on my "build it back up" quest and figure out, well, why I hurt my back when I squat. Because my BW and goblet squats are just fine and don't irritate anything AT ALL. So, why is a high bar squat doing it? Must have something to do with the upper back tightening in that particular position? IDK...

Anyways, today was an every 2 min for 12 minutes (so 6 rounds total) of 6 double kb strict press followed by 6 front rack squats. Did the first 5 rounds with 2x25, and finished the 6th off with 2x30 (but I did have to break the presses down into 4/2 reps).

Then moved on to 30-20-10 for time (cap 10 minutes) of assisted pull-ups and alternating power clean and press (30lbs)... made it through the round of 30, and 15 pull-ups, which I evened out with another 14 clean and presses. And then I spent 45 minutes or so doing a hip mobility routine with core exercises to go along. Good times. I was kinda wobbly when I left the gym, it's a weird feeling to loosen those hips up!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    krokador wrote: »
    Because my BW and goblet squats are just fine and don't irritate anything AT ALL.

right???? i just had the same thing, s.i. or something instead of the ql. zillion goblet and bw squats, no problems. add the bar and just . . . sigh.

i stopped on the way home and bought a little entry-level version of a tens device. because i DO all the flexibility things that should have paid off at least slightly by now, and i am just so over it. sitting here typing with my left hip crease having little on-purpose spasms. i feel like i'm sending in the little tiny green-plastic marines to make it listen, since nothing else seems to have got the point made.

other than that, it was a good workout. 3's week, and bench was nice and light- 50/60/65, so i got 8 for the last set without much trouble. apparently Thou Shalt Not tens anything near your thyroid or heart, so i'll have to do the old-fashioned stretching.

the squats weren't all that bad, actually. i'm just in a mode where i've downgraded my is-what-it-is from 'can't add weight to the bar' to 'can't use the bar, period'. i did use it, a little bit. and i did add a little weight. but really the bulk of my squatting was goblets and bodyweight, because those ones feel actually good.

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Upper body day after work at the other store.

band pulls - 3x12
    bench - 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 70, 3x6 @ 95
    pause bench - 3x6 @ 65 with a 5 count pause
    tricep pushdown - 3x10 @ 50
    face pull - 3x12 @ 60
    overhead tricep ext - 3x10 @ 30

Then walked around 40 minutes on the treadmill at 3.2 speed and 2 incline. Would have been more like 20 but sister went to my main store instead of the one I was actually working at today. Funny cause she dropped me off this morning but forgot.

Tomorrow is her birthday so we'll be having fun and trying to find free stuff for her along with the writing group meeting at panera.
  • fanncy0626
    edited February 2017

Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 30

Last day! I am planning on continuing on with this way of eating! My husband had to stop because he donated one of his kidneys and this way of eating can be hard on people with kidney issues. We have to make sure his lasts a lifetime!
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Squat 2x5 @ 45 5x5 @ 80
    Bench 5x5 @ 50
    Row 5x5 @ 55

I managed to finally average 103g protein this calendar week! I still don't think that's quite enough since I weigh 160, but it's better than the 60-80 grams I was averaging before. I hope I can keep it up and maybe it'll make a difference in my success.
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 75

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 30

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Exercise daily and stay below calories!

Total weight loss for the 3 week challenge = 7.4lbs. Over 2.4 pounds per week! Measurements = 5" loss for the last 4 weeks.
  • jen_092
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Stronglift Workout A
    BR-1X5X 75

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 30

Total weight loss for the 3 week challenge = 7.4lbs. Over 2.4 pounds per week! Measurements = 5" loss for the last 4 weeks.

Nice loss! Congrats!
  • fanncy0626
    Thanks jenxbowers!
  • canadianlbs
    i never do learn that if something is 'bothering' me sometimes it's better NOT to spend 48 hours irritating it even more with rollers and lacrosse balls and stretching . . . i mean, i learn it in principle, but i still never know how to tell the difference.

i did that this weekend and then gave up late today and went out to do errands. so since i was out there and the bike didn't seem to be making it worse, i went and lifted as well. but verrrrry cautiously. i haven't done deadlifts that light since idk when.

press 7x5@45, then 3x5@50.

deadlift 5x10@65. whatever the problem is, it sure feels like sciatica [yes, i've been doing the piriformis performances]. so, on the one hand deadlifting may be the very last thing that i should have done, but on the other . . . i have this suspicion that maybe crappy form on my last dose of deadlifts caused this. and that if so, maybe the way to correct it is to keep doing deadlifts, but do them right. so i tried. one surprise was, in desperation at one point i moved my feet really close in and pointed them straight, and that seemed to help a whole lot. so i finished the 5 sets that way and i guess if nothing else it's not aggravating whatever this is.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Testing out some lifts as I've decided on a program to basically follow. I lost my excel that had the peak cycle I used the last few times, sadly, when computer crashed. Didn't have that backed up yet. Can't find the same site again, so I'm going to try something a little different. Ed Coan's 10 week peak cycle. It's 5 days a week, which is one more than I am used to but three are upper body with one as bench, one as shoulders (which I'm probably going to do push press instead of should press) and an accessory day. I might add a little on some of them, like I did the walk-out(over-load) that I had to do in the previous program cycles on squats as it is helpful to get used to heavier weights. But for the most part, trying out what is listed including the accessories... Okay, I might skip abs and iffy on the calves but the rest I will do. lol

Just getting started, not on the working weights yet, but hope to get going in the near future as I'm doing a 13 week cut that starts in early March.

high bar squats - 2x10 @ 45, 1x10 @ 95, 3x8 @ 135 (no belt today)
    overload - 225 counting to 20
    sumo deadlift - 1x8 @ 135, 3x8 @ 165 (I added this cause I wanted to)
    "deep" single leg leg press - 2x6 @ 20
    leg extension - 2x12 @ 55
    single leg curl - 2x10 @ 30
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Stronglift Workout A
    BR-1X5X 75

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 30

well done on the loss!
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-28X 10 X 30

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    March is not going to be as planned it seems. Have pulled my hip muscle ( gluteus medius) during squat :'( and advised to take few weeks off from lifting and any strenuous exercise. One misstep and... :s Only allowed to do some stretching and slow walk. I need to strengthen my core and be more slow in increasing the weight. So March will be the yoga and some walk month for me. Will be lurking here as usual. Good luck and stay injury free every one!
  • fanncy0626
    mustb60 wrote: »
    March is not going to be as planned it seems. Have pulled my hip muscle ( gluteus medius) during squat :'( and advised to take few weeks off from lifting and any strenuous exercise. One misstep and... :s Only allowed to do some stretching and slow walk. I need to strengthen my core and be more slow in increasing the weight. So March will be the yoga and some walk month for me. Will be lurking here as usual. Good luck and stay injury free every one!

I am so sorry to hear that! Take it easy so that you heal! Remember exercise is only 20% of the weight-loss journey. When I injured my shoulder I made the mistake of not keeping an eye on the scale and over 19 pounds crept back on me in 12 weeks. I was eating at maintenance at that time and not exercising really made a difference and I should have adjusted my calorie intake but I did not. I hope everything goes well for you!
  • mustb60
    i never do learn that if something is 'bothering' me sometimes it's better NOT to spend 48 hours irritating it even more with rollers and lacrosse balls and stretching . . . i mean, i learn it in principle, but i still never know how to tell the difference.

i did that this weekend and then gave up late today and went out to do errands. so since i was out there and the bike didn't seem to be making it worse, i went and lifted as well. but verrrrry cautiously. i haven't done deadlifts that light since idk when.

press 7x5@45, then 3x5@50.

deadlift 5x10@65. whatever the problem is, it sure feels like sciatica [yes, i've been doing the piriformis performances]. so, on the one hand deadlifting may be the very last thing that i should have done, but on the other . . . i have this suspicion that maybe crappy form on my last dose of deadlifts caused this. and that if so, maybe the way to correct it is to keep doing deadlifts, but do them right. so i tried. one surprise was, in desperation at one point i moved my feet really close in and pointed them straight, and that seemed to help a whole lot. so i finished the 5 sets that way and i guess if nothing else it's not aggravating whatever this is.

You have a point! May be I made the same mistake of irritating the light discomfort by stretching and doing bodyweight squat and made it like this. :o I think I should take full rest for next two days and see if it heals faster.
  • mustb60

I am so sorry to hear that! Take it easy so that you heal! Remember exercise is only 20% of the weight-loss journey. When I injured my shoulder I made the mistake of not keeping an eye on the scale and over 19 pounds crept back on me in 12 weeks. I was eating at maintenance at that time and not exercising really made a difference and I should have adjusted my calorie intake but I did not. I hope everything goes well for you!

That's a good reminder. I was eating back some of my exercise calories now will have to be really strict. T_T How much time it took you to heal and when you started to lift again?
  • mustb60
    Stronglift Workout A
    BR-1X5X 75

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-6X5X 30

Awesome loss indeed!! Congrats!
  • fanncy0626
    edited February 2017

That's a good reminder. I was eating back some of my exercise calories now will have to be really strict. T_T How much time it took you to heal and when you started to lift again?

It took me 12 1/2 weeks before I felt confident enough to start lifting at the completely deloaded 5X5 weights. I started lifting again in January and worked my way up to where I was. Then, my shoulder acted up again. So, be very careful! I restarted lifting again from the beginning in February and now I'm up once more to my PR's. I am being much more careful because I did have signs that my shoulder was beginning to be irritated right before it went out again in February. I also am only 5 pounds away from my maintenance weight from previously injuring my shoulder.
  • jen_092
    When hobbies conflict: last night the conditions were good for photographing the Milky Way.. At 4am. It's quite the endeavor and I love doing it. So I slept pretty poorly and was worried about my workout. Turned out I felt fine! I won't count on that for next time, though.

Squat 2x5 @ 45, 5x5 @ 85
    Adding 5 per workout seems to be working for now... Surely I won't keep this pace for long!?
    OHP 5x5 @ 45
    DL 1x5 @ 95
  • jen_092

So sorry, I hope you feel better soon.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 17,513 Member

Aw that sucks! I hope that heals faster than you expect.
    jenxbowers wrote: »
    When hobbies conflict: last night the conditions were good for photographing the Milky Way.. At 4am. It's quite the endeavor and I love doing it. So I slept pretty poorly and was worried about my workout. Turned out I felt fine! I won't count on that for next time, though.

Squat 2x5 @ 45, 5x5 @ 85
    Adding 5 per workout seems to be working for now... Surely I won't keep this pace for long!?
    OHP 5x5 @ 45
    DL 1x5 @ 95

Oh that is cool! I'm a space science geek myself. Great workout too!
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 17,513 Member
    edited February 2017
    Workout B

OHP 5 x 5 @ smaller bar not the Oly bar - anyone know what it weighs? I couldn't find the 30 lb fixed. I hope it wasn't 25 lb or I will be disappointed.
    Deadlifts 2 x 5 @ 80 lb, best yet and my back and left hip didn't act up
    Goblet squats 1 x 5 @ 42.5 lb, 5 x 5 @ 47.5 lb
    Could not find an empty squat rack at all.
    Close grip lat pulldowns (palms facing) 1 x 10 @ 70 lb, 3 x 5 @ 80 lb
    Close grip lat pulldowns with lat pulldown bar, simulating pullup motion: 3 x 5 @ 95 lb

I was sleepy most of today but did much better than I expected. Especially given that I ran 3 miles yesterday.
  • mustb60
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Workout B

OHP 5 x 5 @ smaller bar not the Oly bar - anyone know what it weighs? I couldn't find the 30 lb fixed. I hope it wasn't 25 lb or I will be disappointed.
    Deadlifts 2 x 5 @ 80 lb, best yet and my back and left hip didn't act up
    Goblet squats 1 x 5 @ 42.5 lb, 5 x 5 @ 47.5 lb
    Could not find an empty squat rack at all.
    Close grip lat pulldowns (palms facing) 1 x 10 @ 70 lb, 3 x 5 @ 80 lb
    Close grip lat pulldowns with lat pulldown bar, simulating pullup motion: 3 x 5 @ 95 lb

I was sleepy most of today but did much better than I expected. Especially given that I ran 3 miles yesterday.

To know the weight of the bar in my gym I held it and stood on the gym weight scale. You can use this method.
  • canadianlbs
    March is not going to be as planned it seems. Have pulled my hip muscle ( gluteus medius)

a glute medius pull sounds so painful. i hope your healing goes smoothly.

about my own endless hip issues, duh!!! i rode my ice-bike i blame everything on this morning, and felt like i was doing bird-dogs with every pedalstroke. so, duuuhhhhh, when i set out for home i raised my saddle a conservative amount. still felt like my knees were coming too high, now i'm obsessively conscious of it, so with a mile left i got much less conservative and added another half inch. idk if my legs are weird or what, but it's not easy for me to find a saddle height that will keep my knees below parallel, and still let me reach the pedals for the full circuit, darn it.

not enough mileage to know yet, but i swear it has to help in some way. riding around with your knees coming up to your ears all the time just can't be that great.

• mustb60
    ".. riding around with your knees coming up to your ears all the time just can't be that great."
    Made me chuckle! :D
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Yesterday's workout:

Squats 5x5 @ 130. Couple ugly reps but mostly pretty solid.
    Seated OHP 5x5 @ 55. Felt hard but not like I was dying.
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 155. I think I might hit bodyweight before I hit a wall in deadlifts!

Question for those who've been doing this longer: I still have a lot of weight to lose, and my loss has slowed to an absolute crawl since starting SL. I can't just blame holiday water weight at this point, the scale is just barely moving despite being in a deficit (I don't log every single day but I am 100% I am not overeating by 3500 cal a week). Do I need to go for a higher deficit? Add some cardio? Sacrifice strength gains for weight loss? Be more patient? Getting frustrated that the scale's not moving and my clothes aren't fitting much differently. More defined shins and forearms are nice and all, but not really my problem areas.
  • fanncy0626
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 95
    OHP- 1X5X45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 1X5X95/105/115

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X30
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 14X10X30

Exercise daily and stay under calories.