Butter & Other Fats

Options
2»

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating a spoonful of fat. If someone likes coconut oil that is just as (or more) pleasing to them as eating a piece of chicken skin or a piece of pork fat or beef fat is to others. Coconut oil is food-something that is eaten for nourishment. Is fat not an essential nutrient?

Many would find it rather repulsive to throw a bunch of bones in a pot and simmer them until all the marrow and other substances have left the bone and be thoroughly disgusted at the thought of drinking the broth. Some people favor it.
    There's absolutely no reason to ever just eat a spoonful of fat. If you're hungry, eat food.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with eating a spoonful of fat. If someone likes coconut oil that is just as (or more) pleasing to them as eating a piece of chicken skin or a piece of pork fat or beef fat is to others. Coconut oil is food-something that is eaten for nourishment. Is fat not an essential nutrient?

Many would find it rather repulsive to throw a bunch of bones in a pot and simmer them until all the marrow and other substances have left the bone and be thoroughly disgusted at the thought of drinking the broth. Some people favor it.
    There's absolutely no reason to ever just eat a spoonful of fat. If you're hungry, eat food.

If someone wants to eat it because they like it, that's a totally different thing.
    This didn't sound like it was being eaten for that reason.
    I attempted to eat coconut oil last night on a spoon. it was an interesting experience. I did about a 1/2 Tbs before I stopped. It was just too weird! I wish we had KerryGold butter here in WI. :(
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I've tried the Primal Kitchen mayo and it's not bad. Personally, I found it a bit too sour for my taste so I sweetened up the jar with a few drops of EZ-Sweetz (I'm a previous Miracle Whip lover); however, more recently I found a brand of mayo called "Chosen Foods" being sold at Costco of all places! The ingredients in it are really clean - equivalent to those in the Primal Kitchen brand - except the jar is larger so you get more and the price is either about the same as Primal Kitchen or a little less. I noticed that the Chosen Foods brand still tasted sour to me but not as sour as the Primal Kitchen brand so, yes, I sweetened this bottle with a few drops of EZ-sweetz too...but I used less sweetener than I had to with the Primal Kitchen brand fwiw. I'm actually considering moving away from full-fat mayo's (yes, heresy, I know) and trying out some of the various Walden farms brands of mayo simply because I get plenty of other healthy fat from many different sources in my diet and having in essence a zero-calorie mayo would help me better manage calories especially in recipes that call for mayo or when I want something as simple as a sandwich.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Also, depending on how much fat you have to lose, a good portion of your fat "macro" will come from your own body:
    image009-e1433383051711.png?w=474&h=295