Thoughts and Feelings

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I still haven't reached the point yet where I suddenly realized "it's working!" even though I've lost 35 lbs since I started - it just hasn't registered yet for me; I seem to keep expecting to stall. Its probably because while I have lost an inch or two overall off my hips, waist, and such, I still haven't lost enough to truly drop a clothing size yet. Maybe when I can comfortably get back into the close that are a size smaller than what I wear now, maybe that's when it will kick in for me? Or it may not be until I get below 300..... I'm serious when I say I tend toward being pessimistic! lol
  • LizJru
    LizJru Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I still haven't reached the point yet where I suddenly realized "it's working!" even though I've lost 35 lbs since I started - it just hasn't registered yet for me; I seem to keep expecting to stall. Its probably because while I have lost an inch or two overall off my hips, waist, and such, I still haven't lost enough to truly drop a clothing size yet. Maybe when I can comfortably get back into the close that are a size smaller than what I wear now, maybe that's when it will kick in for me? Or it may not be until I get below 300..... I'm serious when I say I tend toward being pessimistic! lol

It's good that you measure yourself. It's your reward, for now. Look at how amazing that really is!!! You should be really proud.
  • anna4anna
    anna4anna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say how awesome I think you guys are, its no easy task to open up and be honest about what youre feeling- be it fears, concerns, or apprehension. I really admire people who can speak to their thoughts. Its something I struggle with often.

To Bridget, I think its natural to sometimes err on the side of "skepticism" when it comes to our own journeys in this. Like you said, its hard to see the progress ourselves, or for it to even register. I often look in the mirror and see no changes in me, even though I know I've worked hard. We are our worst critics, but try to stay mindful of what you've accomplished so far. 35lbs is amazing. One of the best phrases that I've heard circulate around other forums I belong to is: "trust the process." So even if you aren't "seeing or feeling" results yet, if you keep going on the right path, that will come. Every day we are being healthier versions of ourselves, and that's got to lead us to a better place than yesterday, right...

Regarding loose skin, I too have that concern in the back of my head. To the point where I have researched the cost of tummy tucks and procedures in my province. I have a long ways to go before any of that is on the forefront though, but I know and follow many inspirational people who have completed their weight loss goals and have been faced with the issue. What I keep telling myself is "I would rather it be loose skin than what it is now." Its almost like, I'll be proud to wear that as a testament to whats been accomplished. At least, that's what I'm telling myself from this distance away from it lol.

• Rangerharms
    Rangerharms Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad y'all brought up the loose skin issue...I am SO worried about that. I have had three kids all by C-section and my tummy is so saggy already. I'm hoping when I lose the weight, everything will tighten up and go back to the way it was BEFORE I was pregnant. Sometimes I just fear that it won't go back because I waited so dang long to fix it. My oldest is 8 and youngest is 1. I've steady gained throughout all of the pregnancies. Now I have over 115 lbs to lose and feel so bad about letting myself get to this point. Anyway, it's nice to vent here, so thanks for this thread! Y'all are awesome!
  • forCole
    forCole Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Feeling very discouraged today. Been on this journey for almost 2 months and haven't lost very much. Trying to focus on the small victories but..I dunno. Just discouraged. Trying not to compare myself to people on MFP or in real life but it's hard. I've never stuck to something this long. I'm proud of that but..I dunno. I'm rambling.
  • anna4anna
    Options
    forCole wrote: »
    Feeling very discouraged today. Been on this journey for almost 2 months and haven't lost very much. Trying to focus on the small victories but..I dunno. Just discouraged. Trying not to compare myself to people on MFP or in real life but it's hard. I've never stuck to something this long. I'm proud of that but..I dunno. I'm rambling.

I'm sorry you feel discouraged. I'm proud of you for being on this journey for two months and still here. That's something to give yourself credit for, none of this is ever easy. I'm sure everyone here can attest to that. I understand because I've been there many times. Remember the reasons you started, and the reasons you have to keep going.

Sending you positive thoughts and if ever you find you're needing someone to talk to, send me a message. Any time.
  • rfrieman
    rfrieman Posts: 94 Member
    Options

forCole, I feel your pain. I too get discouraged when I haven't done as well as I think I should have. But remember to just take it one day at a time. We are our worst critics. Keep sticking with it and it will pay off.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

If the scale isn't showing what you expected after a couple months then just take it as feedback on your diet, don't get discouraged. Double down on your diligence in measuring/logging, and tweak your calorie goals.

Have you taken measurements? You'll see inches come off the measuring tape long before you see a change in the mirror.
  • Kelley0519
    Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love how eating healthy and exercising makes me feel, but some days I feel a little upset about the fact I can't be one of those "I can eat what I want and never gain weight" kind of people. :/
  • prittiZ
    prittiZ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Omg, I am always hungry, even when I eat, even when I'm stuffed I still want to eat. I drink tons off water not to feel that way. I Have cabbage soup that I made with tons of other green veggies for this purpose. Basically every hour I'm awake something has to go in my mouth. Like I'm I normal????. I am going crazy
  • Theo166
    Options
    prittiZ wrote: »
    Omg, I am always hungry, even when I eat, even when I'm stuffed I still want to eat. I drink tons off water not to feel that way. I Have cabbage soup that I made with tons of other green veggies for this purpose. Basically every hour I'm awake something has to go in my mouth. Like I'm I normal????. I am going crazy

prittiZ, I peaked at your diary.

I think you may be too aggressive in your goal, you are frequently eating below 1100 calories. I've read quite a few other posts about how going too low can trigger an urge to binge eat. Try bumping up to say 1300 and actually hitting the number, not coming in way under.
  • prittiZ
    prittiZ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @Theo166 the irony is in terms of quantity I'm eating a lot, but what I'm eating doesn't have a lot of calories. The cabbage soup I make is very bulky. But I'm guessing since it doesn't have any fats or protein it's not filling, hence me wanting to eat every hour. I'm almost scared to eat carbs because I'm worried I won't be able to stop. I know that technically I need to eat all food groups and be mindful of portions. But that's my problem, portion control. If something tastes good or I like it, I'm not satisfied till I finish all of it. So that's something I'm still working on. I'm either starving or over eating. And neither of those things are good for me.
  • anna4anna
    Options

Fats and/or proteins work wonders towards satiety. Make sure your macros are set to what works better for you. Since you mentioned portion control being an issue for you, try cooking meals that are only 1 serving. Just make sure that meal is full of fats and proteins that curb hunger. You may also want to try upping fiber intake.
  • kimbermak
    kimbermak Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I am feeling awesome today. :) Today was the final weigh-in for our 8-wk at-work weight loss challenge and I won!!! It was close, there was only .35% between 1st and 2nd, but I was able to sustain a steady weight loss for 8+ weeks. Not only was it the satisfaction of winning (I am very competitive), but it came with $150 prize. I lost a total of 23lbs which was 3lbs over my target loss. Now the harder work begins - to sustain a weight loss without the competition.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    congratulations! Maybe instead of going out in celebration, you can take that prize money and get a brand new fitbit :tongue:
  • Theo166
    Options
    kimbermak wrote: »
    I am feeling awesome today. :) Today was the final weigh-in for our 8-wk at-work weight loss challenge and I won!!! It was close, there was only .35% between 1st and 2nd, but I was able to sustain a steady weight loss for 8+ weeks. Not only was it the satisfaction of winning (I am very competitive), but it came with $150 prize. I lost a total of 23lbs which was 3lbs over my target loss. Now the harder work begins - to sustain a weight loss without the competition.

Congratulation on kicking *kitten*!!!

Look at joining several of the challenges in that subforum. They won't carry the same intensity as your work competition, but they'll help keep the competition with yourself spirit fired up.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    oh yuck :confounded: I have a message from my doctor's office on the results of the sleep study I had to do a few weeks ago. Though I only 0 anpea moments and my oxygen never dropped below 88%, because I'm obese and had higher CO2 levels a few times, the doctor wants me to do a test with the machine. *cringes*

9 years ago, I took a sleep test with the same darn results, tried the machine for 3 months and absolutely could not sleep with it - and I told my PCP this when she wanted to do the test. I felt smothered by it all night long, and I woke up severally dry-mouthed and feeling more exhausted than I did with it. This is not going to end well......
  • LizJru
    LizJru Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    kimbermak wrote: »

*warning: to anyone who likes to gamble but maybe shouldn't, I would not try this*

There is a site called dietbet where you can choose the length and amount you will lose. You put money in a pot, and those who succeed split the pot. In case anyone's interested.
  • Theo166
    Options
    @Theo166 the irony is in terms of quantity I'm eating a lot, but what I'm eating doesn't have a lot of calories. The cabbage soup I make is very bulky. But I'm guessing since it doesn't have any fats or protein it's not filling, hence me wanting to eat every hour. I'm almost scared to eat carbs because I'm worried I won't be able to stop. I know that technically I need to eat all food groups and be mindful of portions. But that's my problem, portion control. If something tastes good or I like it, I'm not satisfied till I finish all of it. So that's something I'm still working on. I'm either starving or over eating. And neither of those things are good for me.

My first thought was add a Tbsp of butter to your cabbage soup, it'll taste that much better and give you a controlled about of fat with the bulk and water :) Always have your goal be achievable, not too draconian. We need to build habits that we can sustain for years to come, not just during the diet phase.