Problems, hardships, and issues.

Options
14567810»

Replies

• thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Ahaha. I haven't even weighed myself in almost two weeks. I assume I have stayed the same or gained.

I am definitely eating better than I did before joining MFP, but I can't seem to get a handle on resisting food cravings. I keep trying to blame other things for my lack of willpower--I was sick for a while, tech problems making it hard to log, etc etc--but obviously it's just me not being able to control myself.

I'm not waiting until tomorrow to get back in the swing of things. It's happening right now. I'm skipping the sundae bar my company is offering today, and I'm going to the gym when I get home. For the first time in two weeks. Yikes.
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I said to myself for 3 1/2 weeks in June. One day on, 3 days with brownies in my mouth... One morning I woke up and actually did get back with the program. You have come so far. Maybe practice maintenance until you find the motivation to continue. I don't know why we think of maintenance as not succeeding, at least my brain wants to not eat at a normal calorie range. But we will be wanting to maintain for the rest of our lives, a couple months of practice is better than gaining 8 lbs... which is what I did in June!
  • kimbermak
    kimbermak Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi group - it's been a while since I've logged in and chatted. I've been dealing with my mom being out of the hospital and back at my house under Hospice care ("they" say she has less than 6 months to live). I've also used it as an excuse to stray from the healthy eating I had been used to doing for 6 months. I've missed the accountability that a group like this offers - so if you want to kick me in the butt - feel free.

My sister has been spending a lot of time here :# and she's a desert-a-holic. Lots of cakes, cookies etc. With people coming and going, my routine has vanished. Going to try, again, to get back on the healthy train. I did tell my sister not to bring goodies for me, but feel free to get what she likes.

I took a leave of absence from work, so the extra time that I am home, doing almost nothing, hasn't helped either. Starting last week, my boss set me up so I could work from home. That has helped a lot, but sometimes sitting at home, in my comfy chair doing computer work, I reach for the crunchy snacks that, if I was at work, I wouldn't have access.

• gazellefish
    gazellefish Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else going through the mindf*ck of;

Lose weight, clothes get too big, feel schlubby in baggy clothes, buy new clothes, clothes fit great, feel fat again?

It's kind of amazing how my mind cannot fathom the smaller size and when the clothes are snug, I just feel so...bloated.
  • Jirachii
    Jirachii Posts: 152 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've been extremely withdrawn from MFP for the past month or two. I'm still logging, but I've been a lot more lenient with going over calories and estimating servings. Whoops. I've also been moving less due to being on an almost two month break between semesters. I'm not social so I don't go out much. I've been eating a ridiculous amount of packaged food and at this point the only thing I'm tracking is calories. It's like the diet I used to have before I started but a little restricted. And I've forgotten to drink water so not only am I full of sodium, but I'm dehydrated haha. Whoops again. The bright side is that the fall semester starts after next week! It'll help fix my sleep schedule and give me the motivation to cook and move, so that's something to look forward to! Also, I've been craving sweets like mad, and I have no idea why. At least I'm still losing weight, albeit very very slowly compared to before.
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Gazelle, yes! I am 50lbs down but my mind often does not compute that fact. I am still wearing most of my 2x shirts because the 1x ones are too snug. But maybe that is how clothes are supposed to fit? I think looking 50 lbs but wearing most of the same clothes, yes some are too loose, but others are still fine messes with the success in my head as well.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    well, I over-did it today to the tune of 360 calories; I just could not leave the pepperoni roll alone! Or the french fries at work. Or the veggie flatbread sandwich at Sheetz. My conscious tried to warn me but obviously didn't put much effort into it, but it's singing loud and clear now.

But you know what? I'm telling it to shut up. What's done is done, and dag-gone it, I enjoyed that pepperoni roll! One day is not going to break my diet, and since I'm shooting for 2 lbs a week, I'm shorting myself by 500 calories a day under maintenance, so even going over, I didn't even get to maintenance eating, so that little conscience of mine can just stop it now with the guilt trip! lol
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    ugh. This is not working. This weekend was bad - really bad. If the scale is to be believed, I gained 6 lbs over the weekend. I doubt I truly gained that much - part of it has to be water retention, but it looks like I'm going to have the 1st gain to have to record come Thursday since I started losing weight. :frowning:

We got the renters out of the trailer I'm getting from my grandfather finally, but they left a unholy mess behind - we filled 1 3/4 dumpsters with garbage alone! All the floors are going to have to be redone - including the joists; the bathroom and kitchen have to be gutted, it has to be re-plumbed and re-wired. The walls in 2 bedrooms are going to have to be ripped out because of mold in the sheetrock. Thankfully, the roof is in good shape and the windows are intact and will work for now. Also, the walls with paneling are okay - we are ripping some walls out to make a bigger space, and when we took the paneling off those walls, there was no mold on the paneling, so its only the sheetrock walls that are going to have to go. And the ceiling in the bathroom will have to be replaced, though the walls in that room are okay. I also had to purchase a pellet stove as the electric furnace was shot.

We worked this weekend getting the trash out and pulling up carpets - I got them all up except for 1 room where the carpet was glued to the floor (that one is going to have to come out in small strips). We got the bathroom in the trailer part (the trailer has an addition build onto the front with the living room, a bathroom, and 2 bedrooms) ripped out and the floor in the back bedroom tore out this weekend. It was a lot of heavy labor, which is good, but whenever I start doing heavy manual labor, I get ravenous!

the part that isn't working is that because we were so tired and working so hard, we ate out every day, and there aren't any healthy choices in that area for dining out - not even a subway! On top of that, the meals that Mom did cook were calorie dense. She doesn't pay attention to portion sizes and can't afford leaner cuts of meat and such, and with the cornbread she made for the chili and the biscuits for breakfast, I overdid it big time this weekend, and I don't think my heavy labor was enough to offset the extra calories.

*sigh* so I'm going to have to figure out something else before I get down there next weekend. I guess I'm just going to have to cook for myself because no one else in my family likes my healthy food - they automatically consider it bad tasting just because it's healthy cooking, and they refuse to abide by portion sizes. My mom tries, but I know she doesn't like it either. So perhaps this weekend, I'll try bringing my own groceries and fixing my own dinners - or fixing them before I leave and bringing them with me as frozen portions.

the biggest problem I have, though, is that I have little to no will-power, and when I do heavy work like that, I get ravenous and want to eat, so when I see chips laying around or snacks, I can't stay out of them! :confounded:
  • gazellefish
    Options
    This group's been kind of quiet, but it's still the least-judgy place I know to whine a little bit. It's been a slow summer. I knew summer would slow things down because I tend to be more social, but, even so I allowed myself to get derailed.

I haven't worked out in a while, I haven't tracked calories in a while, I haven't run in a while...basically just been half-heartedly eating 'consciously'. I'm still losing, I shouldn't feel disappointed. 10lbs in two months is nothing to sneeze at, but I'm having a devil of a time getting back to my old levels.

"I guess I'm on a break," I'll tell myself, over and over, for the last three+ weeks. Somehow the break never feels official enough to 'end'. Maybe I should just re-group in October and accept my slowdown for what it is/was.

I know I need to re-prioritize myself. It's been so easy to lapse back into worrying about other people, pushing my own concerns to the back burner. Harder to fail if you're not trying, easy to make excuses if you're on the sidelines. I need to re-accept my self-accountability and push harder, I need to re-prioritize myself again.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I feel for you, gazelle (and you are right - it is nice to be able to safely whine now and again lol) But you are right - the good news is that you are still losing, and that's what counts! I've found that exhaustion slips in after months of being vigilant, but you've managed to stay on an even keel and not fall off the wagon, which is good!
  • kimbermak
    kimbermak Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    @Gazellefish - I'm with you on the getting back to old levels. I just decided to re-assess and am back to consciously counting calories. I too, put myself on the back burner for a while - time to re-prioritize. Let's make October the month for US!! :)
  • gazellefish
    Options
    I feel for you, gazelle (and you are right - it is nice to be able to safely whine now and again lol) But you are right - the good news is that you are still losing, and that's what counts! I've found that exhaustion slips in after months of being vigilant, but you've managed to stay on an even keel and not fall off the wagon, which is good!

You're right! So much of the success this year is just not stopping! So hard to keep track of those victories, too.

kimbermak wrote: »
    @Gazellefish - I'm with you on the getting back to old levels. I just decided to re-assess and am back to consciously counting calories. I too, put myself on the back burner for a while - time to re-prioritize. Let's make October the month for US!! :)

Yes! Let's get it!