M(ar)uch Lifting is good for you!

Options

Replies

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    So... I havent' done anything this week. The idea of going to the gym on Tuesday had me in tears. I'm so exhausted between work and my hip not quite being right. I've been going to physio, she gave me a few things to work on to help keep my body balanced (she thinks that maybe one side is stronger, so I'm driving through that side, and then when the weights got higher... the other side is all "nooo *kitten* you!!"). My chiropractor is out of town this week... so yeah. I should go tonight, but I'd rather go to bed. So we'll see.

I'm looking into booking a DEXA exam here. I heard that it's not as expensive as I thought it would be, and it looks like it will be a good reference point, especially because I'm not trying to drop weight, rather recomp. But I also want to spend an hour with a PT when I get clearance to squat again, and there is only so much money...
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    jowaring wrote: »
    Today's workout
    Squats 1x5@45,85,3@106 then 3x5@118lbs
    Ohp 1x5@15,40 then 5x5@50lbs
    Deadlift 1x5@85,105,128 then 1x5@150lbs.
    Bulgarian split squats 30 each leg.
    Decided to drop to 3x5 on squats,it feels like a low number to drop on tbh but I'm struggling with the last 2 sets.wasnt sure whether to deload or drop sets.

3x5 and now 3x3 has made such a difference for me with squats! I feel like I can actually recover between workouts now. No shame in the low rep game :sunglasses:
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts day off! Ran 6mi.

Hope your hips get better @Katiebear_81. Better to rest and recoop then re-injure yourself.
  • jowaring
    jowaring Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Today's workout
    Squats 1x5@45,85,3@106 then 3x5@118lbs
    Ohp 1x5@15,40 then 5x5@50lbs
    Deadlift 1x5@85,105,128 then 1x5@150lbs.
    Decided to drop to 3x5 on squats,it feels like a low number to drop on tbh but I'm struggling with the last 2 sets.wasnt sure whether to deload or drop sets.

3x5 and now 3x3 has made such a difference for me with squats! I feel like I can actually recover between workouts now. No shame in the low rep game :sunglasses:

3x3 sounds even better haha.ive been so tired in between workouts.gonna stick to lower sets☺
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    3x3 feels great as I get closet to bodyweight! This week I'm doing 3x3, the 3x4, then 3x5 at 150 before trying for 155 next week. 5x5 is a ton of volume, esp with warm up sets!
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options

Went to gym before work for bench day.

band pull aparts 3x15
    bench 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 2x8 @ 85 (tried one set with plates on floor for feet)
    cgbp 2x8 @ 70 - challenging and didn't do pause ones
    incline bench 1x10 @ 45 and 2x8 @ 60
    abs ish, leg raises from the chair thing 2x8
    walked 30 minutes on treadmill on a 4 incline and 3 speed

• jowaring
    Options
    3x3 feels great as I get closet to bodyweight! This week I'm doing 3x3, the 3x4, then 3x5 at 150 before trying for 155 next week. 5x5 is a ton of volume, esp with warm up sets!

I felt like I was cheating by dropping sets but I'm close to bodyweight too and was getting so tired.i did 5x5 then Deadlifts a few weeks ago and I was wiped out. That looks like a good set up when moving up.your numbers are really good!
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options

I felt like I was cheating by dropping sets but I'm close to bodyweight too and was getting so tired.i did 5x5 then Deadlifts a few weeks ago and I was wiped out. That looks like a good set up when moving up.your numbers are really good!

I felt like it was cheating at first, but the app offers the option to drop to lower reps (you have to buy the power pack) so then I felt better about it. I think I'll be able to progress a little longer in squats with the lower reps, and it's not worth risking a fatigue related injury just to keep doing 5x5.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    abs ish

this made me laugh.

@Katiebear_81, stay home if you don't feel it, especially if you're waiting to get a hip thing looked at. this ain't the marines.

@lkpducky, that sounds like a difficult day. maybe picking one person to work with and working on stuff with just that one person will be helpful though.

i'm feeling overwhelmed and cranky after more than 12 hours away from home. picked up my bike, bought a helmet - which took forever, who even knew. and fiiiiiinally got myself home. feeling like showing the world what i think of it by not doing my stretchign/foam rolling homework.

bleh.

• canadianlbs
    Options
    ^^^ oops, i meant @Stella014 , not ducky. sorry. it's overwhelming when everyone piles on to try and be helpful, and i struggle with defensiveness and demoralization too when it all gets to be too much. so i'm impressed with you for actually stepping into it and asking the first guy to watch you and give you feedback. i would have wanted to flee.

about not feeling it, with sl . . . and also about having to give up your headphone time, i know how you feel but people will not be facetiming you all the time. for myself, i found that investing in t-day once a week really pays off in focus, just because now i'm much more informed and conscious about what to 'feel' for while i'm doing something. it's just that that's hard when you're trying to work on it but don't really feel like you have a plan or an idea of what you're working on specifically.

keep us updated about it, anyway.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,142 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 15X 95/105/115/120

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-16X 7X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Walk every day! Hopefully it won't rain today like yesterday! I got a little wet! Today I am taking a minimum of 2 - 2 mile walks rain or shine!

Measurement day! - 8 inches loss last 4 weeks for a total of 22 inches.
    Weight loss- 5.2 lbs last 4 weeks for a total of 22 lbs since January 1st.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    I forgot to note my Weds workout this week, but I did do it :tongue: Today's workout was short and a bit rushed because I had an appt after the gym and it was more crowded than usual.

Squats: 2x5 @ 150, 1x3 @ 150
    Benchpress: 5x5 @ 82.
    Wretched rows: Didn't have time. Aw, shucks!
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 The same thing nearly happened to me today. I had an appointment after my gym time and someone did not re-rack their weights after finishing with the squat rack leading me to think it was occupied and waiting over nothing.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,846 Member
    Options
    I hadn't lifted since Monday. Everything has gone upside down. My brother-in-law was diagnosed with liver cancer that had metastasized to the lungs last Friday night - and by Saturday he was gone :'( we are all in shock. He looked gaunt and awful when I saw him at the end of January (mom's birthday) but he kept refusing to go to the doctor.
    The funeral was yesterday. I'm doing whatever I can for my sister and trying to deal with my own thoughts. Half the time it doesn't feel real and other times I just freak out/crash. They moved far away 3 years ago so I rarely see them.

I did manage to feel well enough to walk to the gym and do lifting today. As I see my relatives aging (mom's generation late 80s early 90s), more and more I see working out as something life-affirming. Take that, death! *shakes fist*
    OHP 6 x 5 @ 30 lb
    Bench press 1 x 10 @ 45 lb, 2 x 5 @ 65 lb That weight was not difficult but I felt wobbly! I had a hard time keeping the bar balanced. Finally said f--- this for a game of soldiers, and did barbell rows instead. 5 x 5 @ 70 lb.
    Squats - down to 45 lb to work on form. Back is straight now, and I'm feeling it much more in the mid quads. 5 sets of 5.
    Deadlift 2 sets of 95 lb.
    The lady next to me was also doing deadlifts. It looked to me like her head was below her butt when she started the pull, and her legs were almost straight. I have no idea how I can pull a weight up if my legs are straight and butt sticking up in the air. I have to bend my legs and have my butt slightly below my head and I don't know if that's right.

Then tried again with bench press, with db this time. 32.5 lb 1 x 5, 2 x 4, 2 x 5
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Half the time it doesn't feel real and other times I just freak out/crash.

how awful. and yes, it's like that. it's like you have to figure out a whole new relationship with 'normal' and how you feel about it.

i had t-day, so i'll report for 3's week. bench 55/65/73 and i got five. squats meh. i can recognize mr t being tactful at me from a mile off and i diagnose that my depth isn't anywhere near where it should be. i just can't get that sit-back-and-down thing back atm.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    hehehe. Yeah, if it's not obvious, not a fan of abs in a workout. I rarely do them.

Today was shoulders. Had a short workout but gym also closed for a fire safety testing thing so had to leave before could do anything else.

db shoulder press 2x12 @ 20
    side lateral raise 2x8 @ 12.5
    front plate raise 2x8 @ 25
    bent over raises 2x8 @10
    assisted pullup 2x5 @ 7

Nothing else which is sad cause wanted to use the dry sauna. Should write as I've finished chapter 3 in List 13 and need to get 4 going but am sleepy. Should have time tomorrow as have day off, then work Sunday 7 am then Monday off (still have a weird schedule that will change a bit soon to get exposure to pharmacy on a different day).
  • jowaring
    Options
    Today's workout
    Squats 1x5@45,85,105 then 5 4 4@118lbs.
    Bench 1x5@40,60, then 55545@67lbs.
    Rows 1x5@60 then 5x5@75 lbs.

Even though I failed on the last 2 sets in squats they felt easier than last time.going to stay at 118 till I can get all 3 sets.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,142 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-38X 10 X 35

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    I'll be out and about most of the weekend. I will be getting a lot of walking done today.

I may be MIA for the weekend. Grandson's basketball tournament. Of course I brought my kettle bell and tennis shoes! Have a great weekend everyone!
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    @lkpducky I'm so sorry for your loss.