Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squat-6X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-26X 10 X 35

40lbs loss by May 27th Challenge
    I will get a 2 mile walk in today.
  • jaylas_mom21
    jaylas_mom21 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Hi all. First time posting. I started stronglifts on Feb 19 and am loving it. I'm super excited about my progress so far! Today I did:
    Squats 5x5 90 lbs
    Overhead press 5x5 50 lbs
    Deadlifts 1x5 120 lbs
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Hi all. First time posting.

:) hi.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 80

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-16X7X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Fantastic weather today! I am going to take 2-2 mile walk today. Just getting ready to go on the first of my 2 mile walks today.

I have lost the 1 lb I gained with the carb re-feed plus another 0.8 lb.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Argh! I fell off track with reporting my workouts. Sorry folks! D: But hey, if you'll let me have it, I have a pun for the April thread, that I can start tomorrow? =D

Anyways, I accidentaly left my phone at home today, so less distractions xD Also meant I didn't have a timer with me, and my timex watch that I carry around in my gym bag, well... It was also dead :( So re-test day where I was gonna do certain things for time will have to wait (My legs are pretty sore from yesterday's 24 minutes of squat hell fest, arhem)

So instead I'm moving back to PHUL here. Upper Power for me. Today's rule was: NO GRINDER! I'd rather be conservative, in light of all the painful things my body's been through somewhat recently.

Barbell Bench Press 45x8, 65x5, 85x3 (warm-up)
    95x5, 95x5, 100x5, 105x4
    - had that last 5th rep in me for sure, but I lost my position on the bench, and that fell into "no grinder" territory for me (maybe I'm just lazy with excuses)

DB Incline Press 20x10 (easy), 25x10, 30x10, 30x10
    last 2 sets were okay difficulty-wise, but my left shoulder was rather unhappy with my movement patterns, so I might need to stay down and just get the groove proper

Pendlay Rows 35x8, 45x5, 55x5, 65x5, 75x5, 75x5
    Just feelin' it, not forcing it. I was worried about my lower back spasming again It's been a while, and i have been working on it. So I was afraid of losing my progress, or something. But all went well!

OHP 35x5, 45x5, 55x5, 55x5, 65x5
    I think? It might've been 65x3... Anyways, I was feeling these really well, so no complaints!

Lat pulldown 55x10, 70x10, 75x10, 75x10

And no curls or skullcrushers for me, since i had to do 30+ minutes of hip mobility and core work. Yuck. But priorities. I want my back to stay healthy. I can always do curls tomorrow.

I forgot how long this takes to get through. Like, I went pretty zippy between sets here since I wasn't pushing the weights. So used to those 30ish minute workouts now xD Ah well, I may re-organize some stuff to dial down the required time.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    @krokador can't wait to see what your April thread pun is!
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My workout took forever today, which is partly my fault for waiting so long to say anything, and also partly the fault of the two guys monopolizing the squat rack for over 40 minutes. I hung around and stretched for a while, pretty obviously waiting for the rack, then went off to do my OHP, then came back and waited another 20 min until I was really mad and finally went over to ask when they would be done. Apparently they're the two most oblivious guys in the world, bc they had several more sets to go but immediately offered to let me work in. They both seemed pretty new and one was teaching the other to squat....more on that in the "this guy at gym" thread!

So when I finally got to my sets:

Squats 5/5/3 @ 155 in my socks (with kittens on them). I like squatting in socks! Much more comfortable than the collection of blisters I've accumulated from my Chucks rubbing my toes.

OHP (seated): 5x5 @ 62. These are easy enough that I want to move up, but I'd need fractionals.

Deads: 142 x 2 to warm up, 157 X 5 working set. Had a little chat with a friendly gym regular between warm up and working, which was nice. He's complimented my form before, and his is excellent, so it was nice to feel like he sees me as an equal despite the disparity in how much we each lift.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,799 Member
    Options
    @amyinthetardis1231 do you want to do a sock exchange? Your kittens for my duckies.

@canadianlbs you said something about working on your shinboxes. How do you do that? My upper shins (inner side) get extremely sore when pressed.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    @lkpducky I will need to get some more fun socks if I'm going to be showing them off! I have a set of Star Wars socks in my cart on Amazon and I'm eyeing a pair of Wonder Woman ones with little capes on the calf...
  • lkpducky
    Options
    @lkpducky I will need to get some more fun socks if I'm going to be showing them off! I have a set of Star Wars socks in my cart on Amazon and I'm eyeing a pair of Wonder Woman ones with little capes on the calf...

https://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Tardis-Stripe-Socks/dp/B00A2UOMDE
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    :open_mouth:
  • lkpducky
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Walked to the gym 1.5 miles
    Bench press 1 x 10 @ 45 lb, 1 x 10 @ 55 lb, 1 x 5 @ 65 lb, felt wobbly so went to db bench press instead
    1 x 5, 1 x 4, 3 x 5 @ 32.5 lb dbs better than last time
    OHP 5 x 5 @ 30 lb my shoulders won't improve
    Close grip lat pulldowns 1 x 10 @ 60 lb, 2 x 8 @ 70 lb
    Deadlifts 2 x 5 @ 95 lb. Having trouble because the bar pulls my shoulders forward when I lean over. I try and pull back but my shoulders won't go.
    My upper body is too weak even though my legs can pull up.

Question: how to do deadlifts at weights higher than barbell rows if the barbell pulls your shoulders forward?

Goblet squats 5 x 5 @ 47.5 lb
    Barbell rows 5 x 5 @ 70 lb
    Lateral arm raises 3 x 12 @ 7.5 lb

Walked back 1.5 miles. too tired to walk extra.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    um, so amy i'm being all worrywart but do you have enough friction to feel okay in just socks? dunno why i worry considering i've done it myself, but i already know how nice and sweaty mine are by the time i'm relying on them to hold onto the floor.

@lpducky - shinbox is actually a glute/hip/low back stretch like a far more comfortable version of the pigeon pose. the name comes from how you set up with your shins at 90% to each other, so i don't think it would help your thing much.

is your soreness just in a specific spot? if so it might be the insertion point of your quad muscles that's actually reacting, so quad stretching might be more helpful. if not that, then i guess whichever of the shin muscles is on the inside. i'm guessing pretty wildly here so don't let me confuse the problem for you.

if you squat with a 'deep' ankle angle, then i'm guessing it's the shin muscle. otoh, if you keep fairly vertical shins then i think that's more of a quad thing. wish i could help more than that. when i started lifting i spent hours on google just entering the name of the latest thing that was giving me grief, and then trying to put the picture together myself by looking at all the muscles within the ballpark. and of course, trigger points are a thing.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    so, my workout. i don't think i said out loud that last saturday i was minding my own business at the bus stop with a gallon of milk in my backpack, and one of the straps gave way. psa to EVERYONE not to use cheap backpacks, or if you do not to carry anythign heavy in them. i had to do an emergency chiro visit a few days later and he said one of my neck vertebrae was really locked.

so still sore and a little bit iffy when i went to t-day today. mr t was enormously entertained by my 'milk injury' but that didn't stop us from putting my scheduled 1's week numbers up on the board . . . and i did them \o/

both of them were pr's. well, the press was a match to my existing pr at 67, but i believe i got two reps. and the deadlift was one pound over at 172 . . . and i got three reps. so idk, maybe the trick is to carry heavy loads in cheap backpacks and spend the extra money on chiropractors? either way, i'm half stoked and half relieved, and kind of impressed with myself.
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Stronglifts workout today!

5x5 squats 130 (WU 1x5 bodyweight, bar, 65, 95, 115)
    54555 OH 50 - still working on form
    1x5 DL 155! (WU: 1x5 85, 105, 115, 125, 135, 145)

Went with a friend to comment on my form. He pointed out I wasn't bracing my abs enough on the squats and deadlifts. I think the valsalva technique helped me get the weights that have been bugging me this week. I also switched my squat grip from holding the bar to a thumbless grip because I was getting a lot of wrist pain. Also still working on forward leaning, and now depth as I add on more weights. Did lots of warmups with earlier weights before I went onto my working set.

All in all a very productive session with lots of adjustments.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Easier gym day for last workout of March. I worked at the other store, then had a lot of time since couldn't leave until sister got done with her internship. The gym didn't close this time, so I could get it all done. Yay for dry sauna!

Shoulders

ohp/push press - 1x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65, pp 3x6 @ 75
    side lateral raise - 2x10 @ 12.5
    front plate raise - 2x10 @ 25
    bent over lat raise - 2x10 @ 10
    preacher curl - 2x10 @ 10
    dry sauna for 20 minutes
    walk on treadmill for an hour, 40 minutes at 4 incline and 3.0 speed, rest gradual lowering of incline
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Canadian, thanks for asking. I do actually feel like I was nice and stable, and I think kicking off my shoes actually made me proceed with slightly more caution knowing that even the slight "protection" of my sneakers was gone. The whole weight lifting area has a rubbery floor covering and a handful of people go shoeless for squats and DL. I appreciated feeling like I could spread my toes a bit more, and I think that added freedom allowed me to hit depth a tiny bit easier. Fortunately my feet didn't get too sweaty, so I don't think it'll be a problem. I'll probably still try to find a set of gym shoes when I have more money, but the budget is tight right now so socks beat constant blisters.

I hope your neck feels better!