Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I have no words, Jim...no words!
  • jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, and @arguablysamson that means a lot coming from you.
    Still trying to make up my mind what and when to change any of my protocols.
    It's strange but mentally I'm still in a certain state of mind that is hard to shake.
    Its like I'm still not willing to give an inch, to indulge, have a splurge celebrate, add more eating, etc, etc. What I've done is so special and important to me that I have this fear that if I start messing with things it's all going to unravel.
    I need to just take some time and relax. Maybe make some small changes, take it step by step.
    I don't know if any of this makes sense, it's just seems like the part of my brain that has been wired to provide the willpower to do this is stuck in the ON mode.
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    A great deal of willpower is still required to maintain your progress so switching your mindset from weight-loss mode to maintenance mode might help. Joe and Brenda have maintenance plans that they adhere to and have great results. If you already have a maintenance plan, just jump right into it.

Your accomplishment is worth celebrating, but you can celebrate in non-food related ways.
  • jvcinv
    edited September 2017
    Options
    A great deal of willpower is still required to maintain your progress so switching your mindset from weight-loss mode to maintenance mode might help. Joe and Brenda have maintenance plans that they adhere to and have great results. If you already have a maintenance plan, just jump right into it.

Your accomplishment is worth celebrating, but you can celebrate in non-food related ways.
    Oh I've already been doing this. Have I mentioned I'm now an avid clothes shopper?
    I do indulge almost every weekend, picking up new clothes, styles, colors.
    It feels great and it's like a reward or celebration.
    The funny thing is I've always hated shopping for clothes my entire life.
    Go figure.

• arguablysamson
    edited September 2017
    Options
    jvcinv wrote: »
    It's strange but mentally I'm still in a certain state of mind that is hard to shake.
    Its like I'm still not willing to give an inch, to indulge, have a splurge celebrate, add more eating, etc, etc. What I've done is so special and important to me that I have this fear that if I start messing with things it's all going to unravel.
    I need to just take some time and relax. Maybe make some small changes, take it step by step.
    I don't know if any of this makes sense, it's just seems like the part of my brain that has been wired to provide the willpower to do this is stuck in the ON mode.

It makes complete sense, Jim, and those feelings will be the hardest to cope with for a while.

You feel like you will lose everything, but of course, you won't. Your aim should be to gradually increase intake and activity levels while putting less emphasis on the things you consume. It's right around the corner for you, but no need to hurry it. You don't have to. Continue right along, but remember one thing: There will come a time when what was perfect for your life will require overhauling. After years as a big guy, change reared its head and you made the decision to do what had to be done for future you. And soon, that will be the case again. You will almost for sure continue with OMAD (and should - I still do it), but your level of variance and commitment will be way off the beaten path.

Yes, just as with taking off training wheels on a bike or having to overhaul the engine on a car you drove into the ground, there will again come a time when what was perfect will need adjustment. No need to worry, though. It will come very organically for you, I'm convinced. Just don't sweat experimentation, and remember that you always have control. You can take it or give it as needed.

To continue with the car analogies, the "rubber meets the road" as you continue at a certain weight with all of life's challenges. Soon, you will have "moved on," but not at the expense of the needed changes you made. Finally, though, you won't think about it as much as you do now. You will learn to say: "Wow, I really am in control from this point." You'll realize you truly don't need to feel guilty after a week or two of careless eating and such. And as you feel weight coming back on, you'll at first be scared, but then remember you know it will drop back off even faster. It really takes time to see how your own body reacts to more and less food. I can tell you're not sure of that yet, and of course, I wasn't either. But trust me, you will stay in control because you've learned the lessons thus far. But again, don't feel compelled to reinvent everything. Self-discovery makes for the best change always.
  • jvcinv
    Options

It makes complete sense, Jim, and those feelings will be the hardest to cope with for a while.

You feel like you will lose everything, but of course, you won't. Your aim should be to gradually increase intake and activity levels while putting less emphasis on the things you consume. It's right around the corner for you, but no need to hurry it. You don't have to. Continue right along, but remember one thing: There will come a time when what was perfect for your life will require overhauling. After years as a big guy, change reared its head and you made the decision to do what had to be done for future you. And soon, that will be the case again. You will almost for sure continue with OMAD (and should - I still do it), but your level of variance and commitment will be way off the beaten path.

Yes, just as with taking off training wheels on a bike or having to overhaul the engine on a car you drove into the ground, there will again come a time when what was perfect will need adjustment. No need to worry, though. It will come very organically for you, I'm convinced. Just don't sweat experimentation, and remember that you always have control. You can take it or give it as needed.

To continue with the car analogies, the "rubber meets the road" as you continue at a certain weight with all of life's challenges. Soon, you will have "moved on," but not at the expense of the needed changes you made. Finally, though, you won't think about it as much as you do now. You will learn to say: "Wow, I really am in control from this point." You'll realize you truly don't need to feel guilty after a week or two of careless eating and such. And as you feel weight coming back on, you'll at first be scared, but then remember you know it will drop back off even faster. It really takes time to see how your own body reacts to more and less food. I can tell you're not sure of that yet, and of course, I wasn't either. But trust me, you will stay in control because you've learned the lessons thus far. But again, don't feel compelled to reinvent everything. Self-discovery makes for the best change always.

You have no idea how important these words are to me right now. As I come to the end of this phase of my journey I've begun to feel a bit like I've lost track of what is normal and even in some respects my identity. I've just been so absorbed in this that I guess it was bound to happen at some point. I'll get through it I'm sure, just like you said, but coming from someone who has been there, it does give me a boost to read those words.
    Thank you Joe.
  • arguablysamson
    Options

You have no idea how important these words are to me right now. As I come to the end of this phase of my journey I've begun to feel a bit like I've lost track of what is normal and even in some respects my identity. I've just been so absorbed in this that I guess it was bound to happen at some point. I'll get through it I'm sure, just like you said, but coming from someone who has been there, it does give me a boost to read those words.
    Thank you Joe.

No problem; and I can go on. It's really a form of cognitive dissonance. Every first thing you do feels like an uncertain step after the new phase begins. I totally get it. But you have no need to worry, my friend. No need at all.
  • jvcinv
    Options
    This is my latest (and probably final) before/after photo. The after photo was from yesterday.
    Also I wanted to mention that I posted this photo and a little write-up on my journey in the Success Stories section in the main MFP area. Anyone who has read my OMAD thread already knows this stuff, just an FYI. I just felt at this point what I've done can be called a success story and that it might be seen by a wider audience over there.
    iwaojqz4bz9p.jpg

• tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    A true to life success story that will inspire and encourage masses.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!! You look sooo Good!!! :)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You did really well! Congrats. It is good to share you story!
  • katjustkat
    katjustkat Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love reading the success stories...it's all so cool awesome. Congrats again.
  • mikseyniha
    mikseyniha Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Amazing journey Jim! Many congratulations for reaching your goal. I think more than the fact that you made it, what is more commendable is your determination, hard work and commitment to being healthier. Really very proud of you. Success stories like yours give such great motivation to the rest of us, who are still quite far from our goals. You make me believe even more that I can make it happen. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful journey with us. :)
  • jvcinv
    Options
    mikseyniha wrote: »
    Amazing journey Jim! Many congratulations for reaching your goal. I think more than the fact that you made it, what is more commendable is your determination, hard work and commitment to being healthier. Really very proud of you. Success stories like yours give such great motivation to the rest of us, who are still quite far from our goals. You make me believe even more that I can make it happen. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful journey with us. :)

Thank you Niha, you are too kind.
  • jvcinv
    Options
    Well I researched and found a series of videos with recommended exercises for runners. Yesterday was my first day to try them out. Oh man, even though I took it really easy I am seriously feeling it this morning. But I'm sure if I stick with it the soreness will be worth it. Additional exercising is one of the things I'll be adding to my routine going forward. I decided to focus on exercises that will support and enhance my running.

I'm going to start a new monthly progress thread on Oct 1st. So that's about it for now.
    Have a great day everyone.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Great job Jim you look fabulous! You must be so happy and I can totally understand your mindset... I love the fact that you have become a clothes shopper! I love clothes when I'm not overweight and they hang just right... Congratulations on a huge achievement!
  • brittdee88
    brittdee88 Posts: 1,874 Member
    Options
    Jim, you look awesome!!!
  • gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Loved reading your thread. Very inspirational and your before and after pics are amazing!
  • jvcinv
    Options
    @gomissfitnes @brittdee88 @minigrrl thank you all!

Just cooling down from a 3hr super run this morning. I'm beat.
    I'm taking a couple days off to recover fully.
    Have a great day all.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    @gomissfitnes @brittdee88 @minigrrl thank you all!

Just cooling down from a 3hr super run this morning. I'm beat.
    I'm taking a couple days off to recover fully.
    Have a great day all.

How far did you make it? That is a very long run. I've never gone that long.