Sandy's OMAD Journal

wsandy8512
wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
Hello Wonderful People!! I just got home from spending the afternoon with my daughter and mother-in-law for Easter. I just started my OMAD journey the other day, but was doing IF off and on for about 5 weeks.

I've struggled with weight since my early teens. Living with a stepdad who called me a "fat a--", "lard a--", "lazy a--", and other ugly phrases from the age of 7 and up wasn't easy. Looking at pictures of myself back then, now, showed a reality that I was none of those things. I was 5'5 in high school and between 140-150 pounds; I wasn't a skinny minnie, but I was far from what he called me. However, when you hear it all the time, I guess the words sink in. I became what he called me. Low self-esteem, picked on by peers in school, none of it helped. You'd think I would have gotten over the shaming as an adult, but I didn't. I always saw myself as fat and ugly, I'm still really hard on myself... even though my husband of 25 years tells me I'm beautiful and even if I stayed as is, he told me that he'll always find me beautiful.

I suffer from rheumatoid arthritis (RA, from here on out) in my shoulders, hands, knees, and feet. I also have osteoarthritis in my back. From ages 25-45, I had severe menstrual cycles with heavy bleeding and painful cramps. Insomnia was something that plagued me from ages 30-45; talking not being able to sleep, getting to sleep only to wake with mid-morning insomnia, and then maybe 2 hours of sleep after that waking. As the years went on, my insomnia worsened. Until about a month and a half ago, I would wake up at 1-3 am and stay awake. Despite everything, I had several times over the years that I was able to lose 30-40 pounds, but then my menstrual cycles, insomnia and RA pain, along with injuries from working out too hard caught up to me and up went the pounds on the scale. Whenever too much pain or lack of sleep got in the way, my comfort has always been food.

I'm now 47 years old and in December of 2015 I had a hysterectomy so no more menstrual cycles; inadvertently found out through all the testing before my operation that I had severe anemia--which explained my addiction to eating ice. Important FYI here, ladies, eating none foods shows an iron-deficiency, so please get checked if you crave them. Restless leg syndrome went right along with the iron-deficiency. I haven't had them since I got off the operating table and I no longer am addicted to eating ice. Even though my hellish menstrual cycles were finished, I still had insomnia to deal with. I finally overcame that 12 year problem by trying breathing exercises when I woke mid-morning, along with 2 5mg melatonin at bedtime. I'm now getting about 7 hours of sleep a night and it's straight through! So, so happy! Even though I have RA, it doesn't stop me from exercising. However, unlike past attempts to get healthy, I'm keeping exercise easy so I don't injure myself, again. I'm sure losing weight and keeping it off will greatly reduce both my RA and OA, eventually.

I've spent a lot of time this evening going through many of the discussions started by people here and am blown away by how supportive everyone is! I'm going the OMAD route because of my unhealthy relationship with food. Whether I'm trying to get healthy or not, it has always been on my mind. Even on Forks Over Knives, though I felt fantastic, I felt like I was always in the kitchen prepping for the next meal. I hate it. Then of course there'd always be some sort of snacks ready to go incase I got board. Anyway, only having to think about OMAD has already been great and since I've done so much IF the past month, I know the transition will be easy peasy. BTW, I have never been a picky eater. I love fruits and veggies, but I like junk too. I'm not delusional, I'm obese because of overeating and not exercising. I do not have a gene or thyroid problem. I allowed myself to get to this point. No amount of "wish I would haves" or "I should haves" or self-pity can take the weight off. Despite failing for three decades, I truly believe it doesn't mean I cannot or will not be successful this time.

My weigh-ins will be on Friday mornings. I weighed 213.8 on April 14th, down 11 pounds since March 5th. I'm counting today as my official OMAD start though because yesterday morning I had coffee with flavored creamer. Today was the first day I drank black coffee without making the "icky" face! I actually enjoyed it. I'm thinking that because my sugar cravings are next to nil, that it made it easier to drink it. I'm thrilled I do not have to give up the coffee and deal with headaches from giving up caffeine. My meal today was at Easter dinner-- pork loin with cooked with a can of peaches, jasmine rice, grilled asparagus, dinner roll, spinach and mushroom quiche, about 10 egg M&M's and a piece of coconut cake for dessert. The M&M's and cake were the only junk food I've had all week, and I don't feel guilty at all! :-)

My workouts right now include the stationary bike for 30 minutes, Cize-Dance DVD (beginner), beginner yoga, light strength training (Jari Love dvd), and walking.

Long term goal weight is 130-135.

Thanks for listening :-)

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited April 2017
    First I would like to tell you that I'm sorry that your dad called you those things...People don't understand how damaging that can be to someone and that it sticks with them for a long time :( On a good note, It's awesome that your husband loves you as you are <3

Second, You wrote this "FYI here, ladies, eating none foods shows an iron-deficiency, so please get checked if you crave them."...What does none mean?

Third, you should take it easy on your workouts...I only have 6 pounds till I reach goal and I didn't do any exercising until 4 weeks ago and I'm only walking and it's anywhere between 30 minutes to an hour.

Your dinner sounds yummy, Happy Easter :)

• wsandy8512
    edited April 2017
    Thank you for your kind words, Brenda, and your supportive ones as well. You're right, people do not know how damaging their words can be.

I meant non-foods, not none-foods. Sorry about the typo. I just went back to edit but it won't allow me to do so, I guess I went over the time to edit period. lol

You should have the last six gone sooner than later, especially by including walking. I read your journal earlier today. You are an inspiration to me!
  • wsandy8512
    Oh gracious, I learned that I wasn't properly doing even doing intermittent fasting this past month. I'm feeling quite strange this morning after my first day of no creamer in my morning or afternoon coffee. I know this feeling is perfectly normal when first starting though so I am not panicking. My little "splashes" of creamer contained way more carbs and sugars than I thought. It matters not though because even a few carbs demolishes the fast.

1:30-2:45pm was my window yesterday and it's the last I've eaten. Today I'm going out to eat lunch with a friend and we are meeting around 1:00pm or so. Am I sabotaging myself eating a bit earlier than 23 hours later? Eating out isn't a regular thing. We are going for Chinese food so I know I will definitely be having a full plate as well as a bowl of soup and salad.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    I'm quite sure an hour or two on either side of 24 hours isn't a big deal. I've been reading a lot lately, about what our bodies do with hormones when we don't eat all day long - and it's all good! It also seems that the hormones are created, and do their job better, when our bodies know what to expect, when they learn a pattern. So just stick with OMAD and try to keep the window within +/- 1 hour. All will be fine! Your body is going to LOVE you!
  • wsandy8512
    amflautist wrote: »
    I'm quite sure an hour or two on either side of 24 hours isn't a big deal. I've been reading a lot lately, about what our bodies do with hormones when we don't eat all day long - and it's all good! It also seems that the hormones are created, and do their job better, when our bodies know what to expect, when they learn a pattern. So just stick with OMAD and try to keep the window within +/- 1 hour. All will be fine! Your body is going to LOVE you!

Thanks so much this fantastic information! I will definitely try to polish off within an hour and not feel like I will blow it today. I just back from the store and bought myself some herbal teas to help stave off any hunger that comes on. So far so good with just water and my morning coffee. I haven't eaten since finishing yesterday's meal around 2:45 and I'm not hungry.

• wsandy8512
    edited April 2017
    I'm feeling really great today! I took dogs to the vet, went grocery/pool chemical shopping, mowed the lawn, had lunch with a friend and her daughter... and I am not tired. I wasn't hungry all day until super close to my eating window when my stomach growled. :smiley: We yapped for quite awhile before ordering so I think it was 1:30 when I got my sushi bar Super Sonic Roll and a few minutes later I had the General Chicken. I was craving ice water versus a pop, so I had three big glasses. Anyway, the reason I feel great is because normally mowing the front and back yard would put me on my *kitten* for the rest of the day, as well as have me feeling sore. I can't tell you how nice it feels not to feel like the walking dead (love the show, but I don't like myself in zombie mode). I actually have energy! Woot!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    It's actually the combo of fat-carb or carb-protein that spikes insulin and wreaks havoc in the boy. You can have one or the other and be fine. But yes, adapting is hard. Get excited about the process and remember that you will look back on these days and realize that they were good!
  • wsandy8512
    I'm only a couple days in, but I thought I'd step on the scale today and ended up regretting it. My weigh-in was last Friday before starting OMAD was 213.8. Saturday I was still having my flavored creamer in the morning and afternoon, but I did do just one meal. I started fresh Sunday with black coffee and the only thing I ate is journaled above, I didn't go light. Yesterday, although I ate out, it wasn't a lot of food because it was from the lunch menu. I could order as much as I wanted, but I was stuffed with just the general chicken and the sushi roll. About an hour after getting home, I found myself wanting something else to eat, but I tried toughing it out. I was doing fine until about 7 pm and I was going insane so I grabbed a generous piece of cheese with 6 small grapes. This morning the scale read 216.

I just wanted to give full disclosure, I know I wasn't perfect, but I was a bit surprised by the gain. I think the next time I go out to eat, if I feel hungry within an hour or so after going, I will allow myself to eat something rather than tough it out. I suppose this is one of those lessons learned type of deals. lol
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    This is a learning experience so please don't get discouraged. This is why me (and some others) like weighing ourselves daily. We learn about how our bodies handle any food and how it stores it daily. Obviously it depends on the person. Some people prefer weighing themselves less frequently.

Also, it may be just water weight. You'll see if it was just water in a few days :)
  • wsandy8512
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    This is a learning experience so please don't get discouraged. This is why me (and some others) like weighing ourselves daily. We learn about how our bodies handle any food and how it stores it daily. Obviously it depends on the person. Some people prefer weighing themselves less frequently.

Also, it may be just water weight. You'll see if it was just water in a few days :)

Thank you for your supportive words. BTW, is it normal when starting this to be constipated? I haven't had a bowel movement since Saturday morning, and I just realized this now. Although I had fruit with Saturday's meal, when I ate at my MIL's on Sunday and restaurant yesterday, I didn't have any fruit (outside of my 6 grapes last night). Anyway, not too be to graphic, but my movements are usually in the morning after my body smells the hint of coffee. Not happening now. Maybe that's another possible reason for the gain?

• 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    VERY normal. At least in my case. Mine settled now. You might want to try adding more fibre. And yes it is very likely to be the cause of a gain.

I take fenugreek seeds daily (1teaspoon in a glass of water left overnight). I don't know if this is the reason I'm okay now or if my body has just settled.
  • wsandy8512
    edited April 2017
    Thanks so much! I will go get some of that today from our local health food store.

Edited to add: I lucked out. I bought H2Go after my hysterectomy from our health food store and it doesn't expire until 2018. Yay! Fingers crossed. I hate having to make store runs for one thing so I'm happy. :-)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    H2Go? I'm must Google that...Does it work good for you?
  • wsandy8512
    H2Go? I'm must Google that...Does it work good for you?

Yes, it did work really well for me after my surgery. It's very gentle and relieves constipation so your stool will soften and the movement is less stressful. I am so glad I did a cupboard check before heading out, it was pushed all the way to the back and out of my field of vision.

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Often the food at restaurants is loaded with salt and can cause a couple of lbs of water gain. Drink a lot of water and see what happens in a day or two.
  • wsandy8512
    Will do, thank you :-)
  • wsandy8512
    edited April 2017
    Up way too early this morning. I'm guessing now that I'm doing it right--meaning a true fast--that this may be normal, like the constipation, at least I hope so. Also feeling a bit flush, although that could be my age and hormones; I also feel light yet bloated. Still have the +2.2 gain. Yesterday for my meal I had a hamburger patty with 2 slices of nitrate free, preservative free bacon, onions, extra sharp cheddar cheese over a huge bed of kale, and homemade thousand island dressing. I also had a blueberry, banana, oatmeal smoothie with it. I had two cups of black coffee in the morning and one in the afternoon, and drank ice water all day. The only thing with added salt was my dressing because it requires ketchup.

I'm just slightly bummed out. My weigh-in is Friday. When I was doing intermittent fasting, even though I messed it up daily with creamer in my coffee, I was at least achieving some results; I was working out with IF as well. I have no intentions of going off the wagon or binging due to this small setback. I know OMAD is right for me, I'm just not understanding what's going on here with my body.
  • amflautist
    FYI, I really doubt that creamer in your coffee was messing up your IF. I'm betting there wasn't enough carbo, & not enough calories, in that bit of creamer, for your body to change over from fat metabolism to carbo metabolism.
  • wsandy8512
    My creamer was International Delight Hershey's Chocolate. I think my splashes were at least 2 TBS and I was having between 4-6 cups a day. At maximum, that would be 420 calories and 72 carbs/sugars; at minimum 280 calories and 48 grams of carbs/sugars. Whether it made a difference or not, I have no idea, just posting based on the nutritional calories per tbsp of creamer: 35 calories, 6 carbs from sugar. It actually has carbs with sugar indented underneath, both at 6.
  • amflautist
    Lol, yup, a lot!