Leslie Sansone May 2017 Walk Challenge

Options
texasgardnr
texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
May (2017)

WELCOME to all walkers!

May is here! And time to start a another new monthly challenge! Surely beautiful flowers and spring are finally here! You know.... April showers bringing all of those beautiful May flowers :flowerforyou: that we looked forward to last month. Hopefully we shall have some extra sunshine to brighten our days, as well as our outdoor walks B)

Having Leslie's, or other walking DVDs, to pop in the player continues to be a great alternative to walking outdoors. Because of the warmer weather walking or hiking outdoors will be a pleasant alternative to the DVDs for those who enjoy getting their miles, minutes, or steps in outdoors. Especially after the long winter or extra rains many of us have had.

This group is open to any and all walkers. The majority of us use Leslie Sansone Walk At Home DVD workouts, as well as those great walks or hikes outside on the trails or pathways that are available to us, or a walk in our neighborhood, and on the treadmill, as well as other Walking DVDs. All of these many options count toward our miles, minutes, and steps. However you get your walk in, come on in and join us! Post your miles that you have walked, however you do it... it is all good!

We are a happy, supportive group, and I promise that joining this walk challenge will motivate, challenge, as well as inspire you! o:)

Set your goal for how many miles, minutes, or steps that you want to walk, indoors or out, this month. This is your own personal goal :star:. Post your results daily, weekly, or whenever you like.

If you find this challenge in the middle of the month it doesn't matter which day of the month that you join in. Just set your goals to reflect what you want to walk for the remaining days in the month. You are always welcome :) !
So if you are new to the group please feel free to start today so that by the end of the month you will be that much closer to your health and fitness goals. It is never too late to join in.

It is always fun to read which DVD, whether Leslie or another instructor, that you used. Or whatever form your walk took, whether outdoors, on the treadmill, or anything in between. We all could use some new inspiration sometimes, or inquiring minds sometimes just want to know. So please share if you would care to :p . (pretty please ;) )

Come on in and let us start walking the Monthly Walk Challenge together. I am truly grateful for each one of our precious walkers who continue to inspire and motivate mile by mile, and step by step, each month.

And now... let us lace up those walking shoes and get our water... and we will begin to walk into May of 2017!

Blessings,
texasgardnr :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Deeder522
    Deeder522 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Happy May Walkers!

I'm shooting for 95 miles tracked this month. I started the day with a trip to see my old friend Gym. Weights and Cross trainer this AM. Got a Leslie DVD in the mail from Netflix this weekend. Anyone tried the 3 Mile Slim and Sleek with Pilates?
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I am in! My legs are hurting but it seems to be the norm any more. I am aiming for 100. Weather permitting I can do this golfing 5 days a week.

1.5/100

1.5 miles walking the grandpup this afternoon.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    For the first time in 17 years, I am not teaching in the classroom this summer. I still have 2 online classes though, so I think I am going to try for 3.5 miles a day or 108.5 for the month and hope that I can exceed that. We are heading to the lake house in NY on Saturday, so if the black flies are not too bad, we might get some mountain climbing in! Woo Hoo!!!

May 3.5 miles/ day or 108.5 for the month

5/1-Just Walk-Walk to the Hits 3 mile walk=3.0 miles total

Walk Strong Everyone! :bigsmile:
  • texasgardnr
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi y'all!
    Every month, either before or after I posted each new month's challenge, I would read many of your posts. I was always so very proud of all the miles and steps/ minutes everyone was doing. I would read about all the goals being met, and the struggles some of you had gone through, as well as medical issues and setbacks others had experienced. I met new walkers and missed others who had not joined back in for a time.

Again, as I wrote when I posted in April’s challenge, I want to thank each of you for keeping this Walk Challenge active and encouraging, month after month, after month when I finally found it too difficult to keep up with MFP as well as our monthly Walk Challenges.

I am struggling to make a comeback after all these many, many months away. It’s been a long and difficult time since being gone, but I must be determined to start over again. My brother has recovered for the most part and has moved back into his apartment. He is also now back to his (desk) job, full time. I am so grateful that our city bus has a special van service for those with various physical challenges so that he is able to continue working as he continues to recover. I still help him with certain things several times a week. His two surgeons are very pleased with his progress and will follow him for a while yet.

During my time away from here I had finally succumbed to the lure of chocolate and treats, staying awake late at night when all was finally quiet, and skipping my exercise. On top of that my little dog got herself tangled up in my feet one morning and I fractured my wrist (again) when I fell over her. But all that is behind me now.

So now it is time to get myself back in shape again.

In April I started to walk with Leslie again as well as outdoors. I managed to walk 13 LS miles and 338 minutes outdoors. I could not believe how much stamina I had lost and how difficult even the easiest Leslie miles I could find were. Earlier this year I began to pay more attention to what I was eating again. So I have been also taking off some of the weight I had regained!!

My current goal is that when I turn 67 in September I will have regained the ground in stamina, strength and health that I eventually allowed myself to lose over these past two years.

May first: 2 miles: 5 Day Walk Plan (those miles were faster than I remember them being :laugh:) and 35 minutes outdoors.

Hugs,
    Texasgardnr :flowerforyou:
  • texasgardnr
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Deeder522 I have used "3 Mile Slim and Sleek Walk" in my rotation previously. I initially borrowed it several times from the library. I did like the walk enough to eventually purchase it. Leslie talks throughout the 3 mile walk about "simple ways to incorporate the principles of Pilates" into our walks. I found it contained a lot of good and useful information. It also served to make me aware of posture etc during my walks. The third mile includes "intervals of Pilates inspired techniques" There is also a "bonus" mat workout with Pilates moves. (quotes are taken from the back cover of the DVD). When I am able to walk three LS miles again it will eventually become part of my rotation again. Hope that this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • texasgardnr
    edited May 2017
    Options
    PinkyPan I am sorry that your legs continue to hurt. I am proud of you for finding other ways to get your walking. Hugs <3 .
    zichab enjoy the mountain climbing and being at the lake house! :smiley:

May 2: 2 miles (Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan) and 31 minutes outdoors walking.

:flowerforyou:
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    texasgardnr, I have no doubt that you achieve your goals by September. I am so glad that your brother has recovered so well. You are an amazing sister. I agree it is time to focus on you and your health now. Walk strong and take care.
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    6.13/100

4.63 miles golfing this afternoon.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    May 3.5 miles/ day or 108.5 for the month

5/1-Just Walk-Walk to the Hits 3 mile walk=3.0 miles total
    5/1-Vivofit tracked 3.4 miles=6.4 total miles
    5/2-Vivofit tracked 3.2 miles=9.6 total miles

Mary It is absolutely wonderful to hear that your brother in not only able to live on his own again, but is back at work as well!!! WOW!!! It has been such a long road for him and I am so happy for him and your entire family that he is getting his life back. :+1:

I am sure you will be back in shape long before September! Even if you add 1/2 mile each week to your LS workout, you will have an added 4 miles by the end of June. :smiley: My goodness, by September you will be doing the Boosted walks! :laugh: In any event, it is great to have you back as we have missed you. :heart:

Walk Strong Everyone! :bigsmile:
  • texasgardnr
    Options
    Thank you PinkyPan & zichab for your kind works of welcome back, as well as encouragement. I am quite ready to get back health wise to where I was
  • texasgardnr
    edited May 2017
    Options
    PinkyPan & zichab, thank you for your kind words of encouragement and welcoming me back <3 . I am very happy and blessed to be walking again with everyone!

May 3: 1 mile (Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan) and 65 minutes walking outside.

• PinkyPan1
    Options
    13.28/100

7.15 miles golfing this afternoon.
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    May goals:

- 120 miles walked
    - 15 days over 10,000 steps
    - drink water - 80 Oz per day

May 1 - 5.47 miles - 12047 steps (1/15) (water ✔)
    May 2 - 2.56 miles (water ✔)
    May 3 - 3.67 miles (water ✔)

Not a lot of steps yesterday , but I should have tracked the trips up and down the ladder. Washed windows and painted!

Mary It is wonderful to have you back, and that your brother is doing so good.
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    16.53/100

3.25 walking the grandpup this morning.
  • livingandlovinglife
    livingandlovinglife Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    May 1 (2 miles)
    May 3 (2 miles)
    May 4 (2 miles)

exercise.png

• livingandlovinglife
    livingandlovinglife Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that my goal is to walk at least 10 miles per week.☺
  • texasgardnr
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Lilymay Thanks for the welcome back! Blessed to be back. Truly an amazing workout with all those trips up and down the ladder!!

livingandlovinglife Great goal and very cute tracker :)

May 4: 2 miles (Ultimate 5 Day Walk Plan) The red and purple miles (the purple mile: :noway:), and 46 minutes walking outside.

• AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,585 Member
    Options
    Mary, it's great to see you back!

I'm glad you brother is doing so well. That is wonderful.

You are going to reach your goal!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    May goals:

- 120 miles walked
    - 15 days over 10,000 steps
    - drink water - 80 Oz per day

May 1 - 5.47 miles - 12047 steps (1/15) (water ✔)
    May 2 - 2.56 miles (water ✔)
    May 3 - 3.67 miles (water ✔)
    May 4 - 4.82 miles - 10618 steps (2/15) (water✔)

Busy day, putting the plexiglass on the greenhouse, finishing the window washing, walked my puppy dog, and even had time to get a haircut.
  • texasgardnr
    edited May 2017
    Options
    AnnofB, thank you for your encouragement! I'm happy to be back <3

Lilymay2, you're like the Energizer Bunny. Well done!

May 5: 2 miles (Belly Blasting Walk) fast and boosted miles :laugh: