What am I doing wrong?

Options
4031isaiah
4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
I average 20-25g carbs, 100g fat, 60-70g protein, 1250-1300 cals and 9-10 cups of water/ day, 2500-3000mg of sodium & potassium, I use Ketostix that indicate I am in Ketosis and I'm somehow still up 3lbs this week.

Am I missing something?

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    What is your height/weight? Do you have any underlying conditions? How long have you been following this way of eating?
  • 4031isaiah
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I started LCHF 4 weeks ago and then went to Keto a week ago. I've always heard that weight drops the fastest in the beginning and that's where I am.

I don't have any medically diagnosed health conditions but I have experienced digestive, inflammatory and skin issues due to legumes, grains and dairy which is what prompted me to cut carbs initially.

As for weight, 75% fat and 10-15% carbs shouldn't cause anyone at any weight to gain, should it? Especially not at under 1300 cals/day.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    Since you were LCHF before going keto, I wouldn't expect you to have the dramatic weight drop. That drop comes from water that hangs around with glycogen stored in the muscles and liver and since you should have already gotten rid of a great deal of that glycogen, you won't have the water drop.

As for the gain, unless you have been eating a monumental amount of food (like 7500 calories over your target), the weight gain is water. Probably something minor going on that has caused some type of inflammation (don't panic - exercise causes inflammation) and your body is retaining water to aid in the repair of the inflammation. The weight gain should drop in the next few days.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Consider looking at your fiber and considering when your last BM was...
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Since you've had digestion issues in the past related to carbs I'm thinking your body is healing that first. The first 2 weeks I started back to LC my scale weight jumped all over the place but now the weight loss is picking up speed.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Consider looking at your fiber and considering when your last BM was...

I do have digestive issues and don't respond well to bulk fibre (especially psyllium) so I tend to only get fibre from fruits and vegetables which have been pretty limited lately. I will up my magnesium citrate intake and see if that helps.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ... Just give it time. If you are eating at a deficit, you'll lose. If you don't weigh food, you could try doing that for a few days to make sure you are actually eating at a deficit. Eyeballing one ounce of cheese or nuts is not a good approach for me. One ounce is waaaay smaller than I want it to be. :D

Ha ha! I was eyeballing when I was just doing low carb but I've been measuring more since I started Keto A week ago.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Since you've had digestion issues in the past related to carbs I'm thinking your body is healing that first. The first 2 weeks I started back to LC my scale weight jumped all over the place but now the weight loss is picking up speed.

Nice! I think I may also have to lay off of the butter. My body is pretty finicky when it come to dairy as well but usually hard cheese and butter are ok in small amounts. Since going Keto, my butter intake has increased significantly. Maybe it's too much.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »

Nice! I think I may also have to lay off of the butter. My body is pretty finicky when it come to dairy as well but usually hard cheese and butter are ok in small amounts. Since going Keto, my butter intake has increased significantly. Maybe it's too much.

Increasing fats can sometimes cause stomach issues at first. I know it did for me. I found it easier to slowly lower the carbs as I also slowly increased the fat. Less issues with flu, also.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    have you also started working out or increased your activity at all?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    the scale is not the only metric for fat loss, take measurements and photos and body fat % if possible - a bigger picture can help when the scale is being a giant pita
  • 4031isaiah
    Options

No. I have tried many times to change my eating habits and start working out at the same time and often get to two too intertwined so that if I mess up on my eating I think, why bother working out? And vice versa. This time, I don't want my weight loss to be determined by my exercise. I want to get it together in the kitchen first and lose a few pounds that way and then introduce working out for toning and muscle building.

Once I know I've got my head in the food game, then I'll turn my attention toward exercise. First things first.

I want this to be a long term life change.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Thanks! I needed that. It has literally been almost 10 since I've been on the struggle with weight roller coaster and I am SO ready to get off.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    @4031isaiah, I've lost just over a stone, and I don't do any extra exercise at all. I'm moderately active (I work in Retail) but other than the 'exercise' I take at work, I have no other fitness regimen to speak of.

My H has a very sedentary job. He's lost 22lbs and has kicked his diabetic medication completely....
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

No. I have tried many times to change my eating habits and start working out at the same time and often get to two too intertwined so that if I mess up on my eating I think, why bother working out? And vice versa. This time, I don't want my weight loss to be determined by my exercise. I want to get it together in the kitchen first and lose a few pounds that way and then introduce working out for toning and muscle building.

Once I know I've got my head in the food game, then I'll turn my attention toward exercise. First things first.

It was asked because starting a new exercise regime causes water retention and scale weight gain. Just a possible answer to your question.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    the scale is not the only metric for fat loss, take measurements and photos and body fat % if possible - a bigger picture can help when the scale is being a giant pita

The tape measure can be some encouragement when the scales are being difficult. I measured today and I have lost a half inch on my neck and another inch on my waist. I had to get a link taken out of my watchband last week. I knew my clothes were looser, but hard numbers (and progress elsewhere) give you something to gladden the heart when the scales won't.

• 4031isaiah
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »

It was asked because starting a new exercise regime causes water retention and scale weight gain. Just a possible answer to your question.

Thanks! I understood why it was asked. I was just giving a detailed answer as to why I've chosen not to exercise this time around.