What am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Are you menstrating? Or ovulating?

Weighing and measuring all foods? (It's all too easy to overestimate fats, especially when eyeballing them)

Do you eat out a lot? Restaurants underestimate caloric values of their food by 20-40%.

Are you logging everything? Bites, sips, tastes? Alcohol? Snacks? Unplanned treats?
  • 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Cheesy567 wrote: »
    Are you menstrating? Or ovulating?

Weighing and measuring all foods? (It's all too easy to overestimate fats, especially when eyeballing them)

Do you eat out a lot? Restaurants underestimate caloric values of their food by 20-40%.

Are you logging everything? Bites, sips, tastes? Alcohol? Snacks? Unplanned treats?

I weigh/measure food. I don't eat out. I log everything, I don't drink alcohol and it's not PMS/TOM. That's why I was so confused.

I think my digestive system is the culprit. I drank extra water and took some magnesium citrate. I'll keep doing that for a few days and hope it solves the problem.
  • anniemcfanni
    anniemcfanni Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I haven't taken my macros from fitness pal. However, your fat can come from what you eat or from your body, so compared to my fat/protein macros - you are eating too much fat and not enough protein. My macros are 68 fat (however I go below - so fat can be taken from my body) and 100grms of protein. I belong to a few groups on fb and the macros are the same. hope that helps!
  • anniemcfanni
    Options
    Ps. re calories - ignore them!
  • 4031isaiah
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I haven't taken my macros from fitness pal. However, your fat can come from what you eat or from your body, so compared to my fat/protein macros - you are eating too much fat and not enough protein. My macros are 68 fat (however I go below - so fat can be taken from my body) and 100grms of protein. I belong to a few groups on fb and the macros are the same. hope that helps!

Thank you. That was very helpful. I will try that and see what happens.

I always thought the macros had to be 5-10% carbs, 20% protein and 70-75% fat. That's how I got my #s. I'm going to switch it up starting today and see if it makes difference in a few days.

How many grams of carbs do you eat?
  • anniemcfanni
    Options
    Hi again, my macros are 20 however I rarely go above 10.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @4031isaiah - The thing about macros is that some work better for some folks, others work better for other folks. Tweak to find what works for you. Just remember that you need to give any changes a minimum of 4 weeks to determine true effect. It takes that long for the body to adapt and start to truly reflect changes. Remember, the scale, aside from fluid fluctuations, shows what you did TWO WEEKS AGO, not yesterday.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @4031isaiah - The thing about macros is that some work better for some folks, others work better for other folks. Tweak to find what works for you. Just remember that you need to give any changes a minimum of 4 weeks to determine true effect. It takes that long for the body to adapt and start to truly reflect changes. Remember, the scale, aside from fluid fluctuations, shows what you did TWO WEEKS AGO, not yesterday.

I'm so sorry, could you elaborate on that....?

• 4031isaiah
    Options
    Well... I've upped my protein, reduced my fat, stick to 1200-1400 calories, use ketostix daily and show ketones, yet... I've lost barely 3lbs since April 1. :(
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I average 20-25g carbs, 100g fat, 60-70g protein, 1250-1300 cals and 9-10 cups of water/ day, 2500-3000mg of sodium & potassium, I use Ketostix that indicate I am in Ketosis and I'm somehow still up 3lbs this week.

Am I missing something?

Are you a woman?
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Yes.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Well... I've upped my protein, reduced my fat, stick to 1200-1400 calories, use ketostix daily and show ketones, yet... I've lost barely 3lbs since April 1. :(

Dunno - presumably the calorie goal represents a deficit from the estimated basal rate? My calories are about 500 below what I think maintenance is. I am losing about a pound a week more or less. I claim that if I were 250 under, it might work out to a pound every two weeks, and that is where you are.

I still think you need to be checking with the tape measure.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Yes.

So, that would be my first thought. Just monthly water retention. See if it passes with a loss after a week or so.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I agree with using the tape measure and also photos, the scale is only one way to track progress and it's affected by so many variables that can mask any losses.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Your diary appears to be private. It'll be difficult to offer ideas without more info
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Your diary appears to be private. It'll be difficult to offer ideas without more info

I know. I keep it private because not everyone on my friends list understands or agrees with Keto and there are some pretty critical people out there. I tend not to talk LCHF outside of the designated message boards.

I'm happy to share my #s and details.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    Yes.

So, that would be my first thought. Just monthly water retention. See if it passes with a loss after a week or so.

I wish that was the case. I've gone through 2 cycles since I started and no change (except the 3lbs I gained) but no actual loss.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating within a restricted time window, intermittent fasting (IF)? I'm doing 16 hours of fasting with 8 hours to eat all my calories for the day & it got me out of a stall. Butter Bob on youtube explains why it can help to restrict the time you allot for eating.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I tried the 16/8 for about 2 weeks a few weeks ago. I see it's value and may try again soon but I stopped at the time because I couldn't do it without a bulletproof drink in the morning which I cut out to help lower my fat/calorie intake.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I tried the 16/8 for about 2 weeks a few weeks ago. I see it's value and may try again soon but I stopped at the time because I couldn't do it without a bulletproof drink in the morning which I cut out to help lower my fat/calorie intake.

I feel you. I can IF for up to 3 days in a row, with an under-50cal coffee, after that period though, I get headaches and get hangry. My family begs me to eat breakfast again.

You could try 12hr fast then work up to the 16... You might only need to do it for a short while to jog your system into cooperating. Or just wait it out.