May the Fuhrman Force Be With Us

Options
13»

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,948 Member
    Options
    Ahhh... yeah those starchy carbs can be rough on me too Karrie. Wow, 3.2 pounds, well done!

Had a good day after being a bit lackadaisical over the weekend, and indulging in some alcohol. Shredded wheat with half a banana and oat milk this morning. I hadn't tried oat milk before. It is SO good! Lunch was a big bowl with quinoa, homemade E2 hummus, and a whole bunch of asparagus, arugula, romaine. Steamed kale and cauliflower when I got home so that's ready to go.

Some work to finish up tonight so I'm off to get it done!
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Well it was mostly just water weight from bloating, I'm sure; today was just a 0.6 lb loss, which is more realistic. But I won't get to work out today (didn't get up early enough).
  • Carla_wfpb
    Carla_wfpb Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Ruby hasn't been feeling well. She's been having digestive issues and yesterday morning she wouldn't eat her food and her tummy was rumbling like crazy and she was totally docile and droopy. We took her to the vet and she's getting treated for worms plus she's on prescription food to settle her stomach. Between the visit, the food, some shots, and flea meds for her and Reba, it was a $500 visit. She's not enjoying the prescription food at all, but she has perked up a lot. I still think there may be more going on. I'm continuing to keep an eye on her. Yet another reason I am glad that I get to work from home.

Hope that update wasn't TMI! Other than that, I've been spinning yarn and weaving.

Check out the post i did in group re: Dr. Fuhrman podcast if you are interested in a recent talk with him. I haven't listened yet but it appears to be over an hour long.

We have microgreens sprouting in our greenhouse. They are fun to grow because you get results so quickly. Our bell peppers have started to bloom, so hopefully they are happy enough. We planted four varieties of tomato starts outside a while back, and they are just now starting to look good. We got them from Joe's dad who oversees a volunteer food garden and I think they may have been grown in the greenhouse then went into shock when we put them directly outside. I also planted some pole beans in the garden the other day - I received them as a surprise gift with the purchase of yarn on Etsy! That particular seller also dries her yarns in her herb garden greenhouse so the yarn smells wonderful when you get it!

• Mihani
    Options
    Karrie, I know exactly what you mean. If I go completely starchy carb free for just a week it's like my stomach shrinks two inches lol. I am still eating them following the E2 plan at present, but I am trying to stick more with the whole grains rather than breads and pasta and such.

Oh no Carla... poor Ruby :'( I hope she is feeling better soon. Could she be finding things to upset her stomach in the yard and eating them? I have a friend whose dog would eat toadstools in the yard and it made him really sick. Love hearing about all your gardening adventures! Thanks for the tip on the podcast. I'll be looking at it this weekend.

Today was really good food-wise. Not so much work-wise just a crazy busy day. Breakfast was oats with walnuts and banana. I don't seem to like oats as much cooked in all milk so I cook them in water and then add a splash of plant milk when serving. Still grooving on the oat milk. Lunch was a monster bowl with romaine, arugula, about 1/4 of a leftover sweet potato, E2 hummus, steamed cauliflower, kale, and asparagus. I couldn't even finish it all and felt so good all afternoon. Not sluggish like I often get after I eat lunch. I have often thought that skipping any type of starchy carbs (even whole grain) at lunch makes me feel better in the afternoon and I'm going to try to stick with that. Dinner will be leftover quinoa with more leftover steamed veggies and I think I'll make a pot of lentils and throw some over top with some salsa and chopped green onions And cantaloupe for dessert.

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Mihani, I was thinking about making my lime cilantro rice today and realized that I never responded with how I make it. It isn't a recipe really, I followed one at some point, but now I just make 2 cups of mixed grains rice in the instant pot, and once it's cooked I add juice of 1 lime, cilantro chopped fine, and salt to taste. Pretty simple, eh? I should just call it rice!

Ruby is wondering why she isn't getting a steady stream of treats. I think it will be a good opportunity to wean her off of them a little. She seems to be doing okay, but her system isn't regular yet. She may have gotten sick from eating a frog. We have very small frogs around and at this time of year there can be a lot of them hanging around. I saw a frog leg hanging out of her mouth before she got sick and I just kind of turned around and left...I couldn't bear the thought of trying to fish out a half dead frog and then have to kill it myself. Ugh. Things like this make me wonder if I really shouldn't be a person with pets. Joe can handle it at least. Don't get me wrong, I would have gone and fished it out if I thought it would make her sick.

Starchy carbs, oh how I love thee. Well, more of a love/hate thing. I've been having a run of headaches lately and when they get really bad and nothing else helps I just crave those carbs, that comfort food.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Thanks for the rice recipe Carla... sounds like how I make my cilantro lime cashew sour cream (my own variation on the OSG cashew sour cream... instead of lemon I use lime juice and add cilantro in the blender). I love the flavors of lime and cilantro in most everything. Ugh, yeah eating critters could definitely be making Ruby sick. I am with you, I love my animals to pieces, but when they do gross things I'm like really? And you expect ME to deal with that? :# Sorry to hear you are having headaches.

Another great food day. Shredded wheat with oat milk and half a banana for breakfast. Another monster bowl for lunch... romaine and arugula, leftover quinoa, steamed kale and cauliflower, and roasted corn, lentils, and some balsamic. I love the bowls! Tonight I'm going to have a flat with homemade E2 hummus and asparagus and baby spinach. The last of the cantaloupe for dessert. It's almost time for me to go into my annual summer watermelon frenzy, need to buy some this weekend.
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    I started going starchy carb free on Monday. It's Friday. I'm down 5 lbs... So that's it. I've gotta stick to this. It works...
  • Mihani
    Options
    Woohoo Karrie! Well done.

Today: oats cooked in water served up with oat milk, power greens, walnuts, sliced frozen banana, cinnamon for breakfast. Lunch bowl of quinoa, steamed cauliflower and kale, raw baby spinach, the last of the roasted corn, lentils, balsamic. Dinner is going to be a flat again. I did eat a few blue corn chips today, sigh. And will be having a couple drinks tonight at a neighbor's house. The overall trend on the scale is encouraging though. Down 6 pounds over the past month. Just need to tighten things up and ditch the alcohol on the weekends. After tonight of course lol.
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    Nice loss Karrie!

Enjoy your evening out Mihani! You deserve it!

Today I ate...everything...

• Mihani
    Options
    lol Carla... definitely know what those days are like.

Decided to stay out of the office today. Going to try to finish cleaning up the house, do a little bookkeeping work which is easy to do at home, read, grocery shop.
  • Carla_wfpb
    edited June 2017
    Options
    What are you reading, Mihani?

I'm mid-way through sorting out my sewing/craft room. It has been a half packed disaster area ever since we moved here almost a year ago. Everything has to be unpacked and moved into piles so that I can see how much of everything I have and what it will fit into. If it sounds bad, you aren't think scary enough ;) Joe and I picked up an armoire in a consignment store to help store everything. I got the guy to throw in for free, a cool pin board. Joe HATES it but I'm going to put it in my art studio or sewing room. Once I got it home and looked on the back I saw a sticker...it is from Anthropologie and sells new for $98!

What do you guys think? It is okay if you hate it, I can see it going either way LOL. I can always reupholster the background fabric when I'm tired of it to totally change the look and freshen it up a bit.
    qerliyndviqc.jpg
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    oh and I forgot to mention that I have some seeds sprouting! The bergamot, basil or parsley, and chamomile have all sprouted. I was going to grow echinacea, and I may in the future, but there are some crazy requirements for getting them to sprout. If I'd have known that I'd have just found a plant somewhere! It involves refrigeration for 1 or 2 weeks, followed by other very specific soil temperatures in stages. I planted beans in the garden and they may have sprouted but I can't tell the difference between them and weeds so that will have to wait!
  • Mihani
    Options
    I think it's pretty Carla! Joe probably would like a more manly pinboard lol. Congrats on your gardening successes. Going to be swimming in produce and fresh herbs soon.

I have been reading some freebies from Kindle Unlimited. I let Amazon Prime lapse since I wasn't using it all that much, and got the Kindle Unlimited subscription instead. I'm reading the first Mirrowen book by Jeff Wheeler, previously read his Muirwood and Kingfountain series. They are pretty good, not the best books ever but entertaining enough to keep me reading them. I like science fiction and fantasy, especially when there is a lot of humor like Douglas Adams or Terry Pratchett. Also crime series like Robert Crais, John Sandford, James Patterson, etc., although the last couple Sandford books I found disappointing. I guess after 50 some books you start to slide.

Made it to the grocery and stocked up on veggies and greens, fruit (including watermelon yay!), oat milk. Found some oil free whole wheat pitas and grabbed the 3 packages left. Put two in the freezer. Need to whip up a batch of E2 hummus. I have enough steamed veggies leftover to get me through another couple days. I'm also really into corn lately, got 4 ears, I cut it off the cob and cook it in a dry cast iron skillet at high heat until it's a bit brown and toasty. Really brings out the sweetness and it's a great addition to my bowls.
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    I think it's pretty too, and would look amazing in a sewing room!!
  • Carla_wfpb
    Options
    We strayed from the bowls over the last few days and the results weren't pretty. Back to bowls this week! Not feeling inspired but I'm going to make rice and beans today and see what happens. Watermelon sounds good, thanks for the idea Mihani.

We have at least 7 dozen eggs in our fridge right now. Normally Joe's dad takes a few dozen a week, but he is on vacation. My parents haven't come by in a while either. One of our friends works in the same office as Joe and is always happy to get fresh eggs. Her husband, her & their roommates all eat Paleo and I guess they go through crazy amounts of eggs, more than a dozen a day. I can't fathom that, but I'm happy that our surplus gets put to use.

My pin board is hung up in the sewing room and everything is starting to come together. I'll get some shots once it is all cleaned up. Too bad I didn't take a before photo! It was starting to look like a hoarder's room.

• Carla_wfpb
    Options
    LOL my bad, June 5...I'll catch on eventually