Introduce Yourself!

Options

Replies

• changeNeeded87
    changeNeeded87 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have been doing IF (16:8) for 5 days now. My window is 10:30a to 6:30p.

Question: I usually go out of town on the weekends. Would it interfere with IF if I were to only do it during the work week and on the weekends, eat whenever while staying under my calories for the day?
  • NatashaJ13
    NatashaJ13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I really want to try Intermittent Fasting. I have an hour or so reading about it online,after coming across it totally by chance. I have been forcing myself to eat breakfast for years, and am sure that's the reason that I then spend almost the whole day hungry/eating. In my late teens/early 20's I would skip breakfast and only eat at Lunch and Dinner and I was much skinnier than I am now. Everything got messed up when I had my son, as I was told that I needed to eat breakfast by the Dr and Health Visitor. Since then I have struggled with my weight, and tried various different diets, which all say to eat a minimum of 3 meals a day, and most include 2 or 3 snacks. Feels like I am always eating, or thinking about food. None of the diets were ever successful either.
    Intermittent Fasting sounds much more like what I used to do when I was younger. I am thinking about doing the 8/16 version, as that would fit into my life so much easier. I normally have lunch at 1pm, after my 2 mile walk and then have dinner with my family around about 7-8pm.
    I have recently started swimming twice a week after work, and don't want to give it up. Will I be ok doing the 2 mile daily walks and swimming twice a week when I start Intermittent Fasting? I am planning on starting tomorrow, as I'd already eaten breakfast this morning.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    lpina2mi wrote: »
    : Since I was a breakfast skipper taking the milk out of my coffee was minor change for 16:8.

is the milk (or half and half) in coffee enough to kick you out of the fasted state?

Len
  • muzzmackay
    muzzmackay Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I'm realtively fit as I do a bit of cycling, running and weights but I have been 20% body fat for years and can't get it down. Started using MyFitnessPal to track calories and realised I was eating too many calories. Struggled to stay within daily allowance and never shifted any weight/fat.

Just started this IF 16-8 last Friday. Coping OK on nightshift
    On dayshifts and days off I plan to eat from noon until 2000hrs. I plan on only doing low intensity cycling before noon from 1000 to 1130. I know I can last around 90 fasted in Zone 2.
    Afternoons would be for tougher cycles, running and weight training.

Does this sound d like a good plan ?
  • pikselinka
    pikselinka Posts: 154 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi guys, I am on 4-6 hour or less eating window a day, most days 4-5 hours. During my window I eat 1 or 2 bigger meals and small snacks. It is my second week on IF and it has already helped me greatly with my cravings. I had problem with portion sizes, when I ate smaller meals I was either always hungry or overstuffed because of the frequency. Now I can enjoy a bigger meal once a day at the beginning of my window and it does miracles in terms of my eating habits. I am no longer stuffing my face all day long, it´s just now during the eating window :D

kyubeans wrote: »
    1. If you're doing a 16:8 fast, when do you start counting the hours? Let's say my last meal I started eating at 8pm, which puts me into the "fed" state at 8pm. Do I start counting to 16 at 8, or 9, or when I've digested?

2. What happens if you change up your fasting schedule? I'm starting my IF officially today, and I thought it'd be good to start off with a 24 hr fast. Keep in mind, I've basically been doing 16:8 so I'm not diving into the deep end too suddenly. I think I can handle it. Also, tomorrow is 4th of July and I've already planned to allow myself to indulge in some foods I don't normally eat (hot dogs, macaroni salad, barbecue chicken, etc.). But after the 4th of July, I'm going to do 16:8 as my norm. Is this ok to occasionally switch up the schedule? Or does this mess with you?

3. This leads to another question: Is there a max "recommended" fasting? I know some religions fast for more than 24 hrs but I think this typically allows for liquid calories and such. If I'm doing a "24" hr fast, but technically means my last meal was at around 9pm yesterday night, and I don't intend to eat until about 11am tomorrow, that will actually work out to be a 36 hour fast. Is this not recommended? Should I actually eat something at 9pm tonight?

4. Finally, I've searched websites and haven't found a clear answer. When you're "fasting", what if anything are you allowed to consume? Coffee, water, tea? Zero calorie drinks like Vitamin Water? "Zero" calorie foods like celery

1. I use mobile app called Vora to track my fasts. It´s free and it´s awesome. Try it. All you do is press Start (to start tracking fast) and it tracks how much time went by since the last time you ate. So for me for example I wait more than 18 hours. When you start eating again you press Stop etc.

2. I found it does not mess anything up if there is difference around 2 hours, so lets say instead of fasting 18 hours I do 20, but if I did 18 and jumped for 24h fast I would feel like I am starving. But I think it´s personal, try it and see how you feel.

3. Depends on a person. If you have health problems I don´t think it is recommended to do fasting for long periods of time. If you are healthy you should be fine with few days of fasting, but as mentioned before if I were you I would build it up slowly.

4. I personally only drink water or other zero calorie drinks, multivitamins. Nothing that is above 5 cals the way I see it. Some people drink broth (only liquid) I don´t do it because it awakens my appetite.

• Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I am on my 3rd day of IF. I am doing 16:8. First day was great and yesterday was ok, but today, my stomach is screaming, what the hell are you doing! I am drowning the growl with water. I know it will get better, but any advice would be great. I am also doing low carb. I have done lot's of things to lose weight but it always comes back. In 2014, I lost 120 by clean eating and exercise. The weight stopped dropping off and it was harder to lose, which made me very discouraged. Now, 3 years later I have gained back 60 and I'm mad at myself, so, here I go again. I'm hopeful.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @Brige2269 I haven't been doing this long, but one of things i deal with are my habits. Like when i think "ok, it's noon I should eat". then i have to think "am I really hungry?"- and Sometimes I am not hungry - but a part fo my brain keeps saying"yeah, but its time!"

Sometimes I force my self to go too low on the calories- thats when i get in trouble, I had to raise my limit to figure out where I could live the rest of my life and still get my wwight under control.

Been drinking MATCHA green tea also helps. :D
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm new to IF and I love it so far. I am doing a mix of keto and IF. The Keto is really to help me get sugar out of my life. I have a sugar addiction and one of my goals for 2017 was to break the addiction and stop being a slave to sugar. Keto works well for this because it trains you to stop the dependence on carbs but still work them into your diet, in small doses. Total control. However, to overcome my insulin resistance and reverse pre-diabetes, I am doing a 18:6 IF daily. I have actually lost 9 pounds in 11 days, most of which was water weight. But the weight is not the exciting news here. The exciting news is that I have almost no more swollen joints, I have completely kicked coffee, I have a good amount of energy. A week ago, I could barely walk up and down the stairs but now I can get up and down them with few problems and no pain. IF is great no matter what diet plan you follow, but it is extremely effective when mixed with a LCHF diet such as Keto. Best of luck to you. Friend me if you need support. Make sure you take a good filler free Multi-Vitamin and possibly Omega 3.
  • Goal179
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I also drink just under 1 gallon of water per day. I also drink a little bone broth during my fasting hours just to be able to sit at the table and be "social" with the family.
  • belcanto29
    belcanto29 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I have been following a traditional caloric deficit diet since throwing in some carb cycling here and there to help move things along when my losses slow down. I'm down 45 pounds and hit a plateau. I also struggle with bloat and have not reduced my belly size as much as I'd like considering the amount of weight I've lost. So, I am giving IF a try to see if it helps me. I started yesterday with the 16:8 model. So far I enjoy it - it's so easy to stay under my caloric limit for the day and if i have coffee, tea and water to drink I'm fine. Also have had good energy and focus. I have no choice but to workout in the fasting window because of my schedule, so I am wondering if I need to add BCAA's to protect against muscle waste.
  • wendybirdgirl
    wendybirdgirl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I just started IF on a 16:8 model. I like it, and am on Day 7. I lost 2 lbs, which is actually a lot for me, in 6 days. (Weight leaves me verrry slowly) So, I am happy. I am interested in knowing what foods make people feel full longer, so I can maximize the fasting time without feeling like I am starving for the last hour.
  • iraspiritia
    iraspiritia Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm 36 years old, weigh as per this morning 117.9 kg (260 lbs). I started Intermittent Fasting on Sept 12th at 122.4 kg (269.8 lbs). So, I've lost about 10 lbs in 3 weeks. I do 16:8 or 18:6.
    Since 3 days ago I started having very bad headache. I eat around 1800 cal everyday, and I set to lose about 1-1.5 lbs per week.
    Is this headache normal for someone who just start IF? Why did I get headache in third week not in the first few days? How should I do to overcome the headache?
    Thank you.
  • alexandriashelby89
    alexandriashelby89 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Alex and I'm from Minnesota. I have been casually researching IF ever since I heard about it, and have slowly started to do 16:8. A few days I did, a few days I did not, but as of tomorrow I am going to (at least try to) make 16:8 a daily habit. Not sure if I'll do 11a-7p or 12p-8p.
    I was wondering though, does anyone here drink beverages that contain calories while still considering it a fast?
    Someone else told me that you shouldn't drink anything caffeinated, which is damn near impossible for me because I have an unsweetened black tea every morning. That's pretty much been my breakfast for months now. It has 0 cals, but there is caffeine. Anyone drink caffeine and still consider yourself to be fasting?
    Looking forward to learning and figuring out new things related to IF.
    Thank you in advanced!
  • fjpinney
    fjpinney Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting into the IF this week, doing the 16:8. It's my 2nd day. Finding I'm a bit nauseated around 8 or 9 (I'm up at 5 am) but hoping it's just my body needs to get used to not having food in my stomach. I did find it much easier to stay within my calorie goal yesterday with just having two meals. When doing this, how many people work out before they break their fast? And any side effects?
  • sarcasticarse
    sarcasticarse Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Tell us

1. How long you have been fasting
    2. What questions do you have?

1. I have been on a fasting focused lifestyle since July 2016
    2. In this group, how long have you done a non-stop fast? No calories.
  • Shawnee63
    Shawnee63 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    New to this group. Have been doing LCHF (since mid-May), added IF the 2nd week of September, and have lost around 20 lbs. between the two WOE. I'm a diabetic, type 2, and I have been managing it well, with oral meds and a low dose of insulin. The drs. call me a healthy diabetic even though I'm way overweight.
    I joined because I'm always looking for new ideas and I want to see what you guys do that's successful for you losing weight.
  • Ni_La82
    Ni_La82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group and just started 16/8 IF two days ago. I eat breakfast around 8am, and lunch around 12-1 PM. Lunch is my last meal of the day. I do have calorie free unflavored sparkling water when I used to have dinner, around 7 PM. The bubbles fill me up (though I'm usually not hungry after exercising anyway).

I'm 5'1", 35 Y/O, and currently fluctuatuate from 185-190lbs. Last year at this time, I was 155-160 lbs (due to a keto diet that I could not maintain).

I have a question: I usually exercise in the evening, but I feel like all that does is burn off lunch (including carbs) rather than fat. I don't have time to exercise in the morning, how does everyone else handle this? I do like exercising at night because it seems to burn off any extra caffeine I've had during the day and helps me sleep.
  • Ni_La82
    Ni_La82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Alex and I'm from Minnesota. I have been casually researching IF ever since I heard about it, and have slowly started to do 16:8. A few days I did, a few days I did not, but as of tomorrow I am going to (at least try to) make 16:8 a daily habit. Not sure if I'll do 11a-7p or 12p-8p.
    I was wondering though, does anyone here drink beverages that contain calories while still considering it a fast?
    Someone else told me that you shouldn't drink anything caffeinated, which is damn near impossible for me because I have an unsweetened black tea every morning. That's pretty much been my breakfast for months now. It has 0 cals, but there is caffeine. Anyone drink caffeine and still consider yourself to be fasting?
    Looking forward to learning and figuring out new things related to IF.
    Thank you in advanced!

I don't see why a calorie free beverage would cause any issues. Caffeine is a case-by-case scenario. For example, I can't have caffeine while fasting because, for some reason, it causes my blood sugar to drop. That doesn't happen to everyone.
  • Goal179
    Options
    Hello, I'm 36 years old, weigh as per this morning 117.9 kg (260 lbs). I started Intermittent Fasting on Sept 12th at 122.4 kg (269.8 lbs). So, I've lost about 10 lbs in 3 weeks. I do 16:8 or 18:6.
    Since 3 days ago I started having very bad headache. I eat around 1800 cal everyday, and I set to lose about 1-1.5 lbs per week.
    Is this headache normal for someone who just start IF? Why did I get headache in third week not in the first few days? How should I do to overcome the headache?
    Thank you.

I would guess and this is just a guess, that your headache started later in the process because that is when you finally ran through your stores and started having mineral deficiencies. Maybe even a little ketogenic flu (when all glycogen stores are gone) Alot of people suggest drinking bone broth, ACV or salt water. In addition, a multi vitamin or trace minerals may help. The biggie is Himalayan salt and water. I hear it works really well. i cheated when my headache started and just took a Tylenol. I've had no issues since. LOL!!!!!!!
  • risyfitforlife
    risyfitforlife Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend. I am doing keto