Introduce Yourself!

Options

Replies

• HdezJ
    HdezJ Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been alternating keto/low carb for about three years now and despite my efforts, I cannot seem to get below 30 lbs above my goal weight (140 lbs for a 5'4" frame, nothing outrageous). I have a friend who swears by intermittent fasting and I've been reading up on the benefits of autophagy, so I'm giving it a go. I've been doing 16:8 for a week now and it seems to be getting a little easier. I'm not watching the clock as much. I don't really have any burning questions yet, but I'm sure I'll have plenty after a while.

Not sure if your doing it already but lifting weights works wonders. Focus on that with 10-15 min of cardio after weightlifting. Cardio will help you lose weight but you'll just be thin, but if you prioritize weights you'll slim down with shape. If that makes any sense:)

• Annalliflosca
    Annalliflosca Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi there, Im Louise, been lifting since Feb 2016. Only started intermittent fasting on the 9th Feb this year and Im amazed already by the results. Eased into it fine, never want to go back. Even my family notice a difference in my weight loss already. :)
  • gauravmi5
    gauravmi5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tell us

1. How long you have been fasting
    2. What questions do you have?

Hi Jiimy,
    I have started in November 2017.
    Quite happy, lost 10 Lbs. This has given me a new enthusiasm, discipline and Transformed.
    I want to connect with other member in the group.

• klkc2005
    klkc2005 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I'm Lisa and 50. I have lost over 50 pounds so far but have been stuck for about a month in a plateau so I decided to try IF to shake things up a bit. I'm about 10 pounds from my goal weight. I started IF last night and thought i would start with 14 hours but i made it the whole 16 hours. The last hour was hard as i kept looking at the clock. More mental, than hunger. Anyways, I feel good this morning and I'm hopeful I can continue and will see results. Also, today was my first day having my coffee without sugar. Actually not bad.
  • BeckyGQ
    BeckyGQ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello! I’m Becky and I started IF yesterday. I need to lose about 30 lbs. that have found their way back to me. I’m hoping that with IF I will be able to have better control of my cravings and portions. So now I’m back to tracking and trying to get back on track.
  • MzHottieAfterABody
    MzHottieAfterABody Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Just started getting back on MyFitnessPal. On Day 7 of my first week of intermittent fasting. I'll find out at the end of the day what my results are. Been doing 16:8 but today started doing 18:6. Just wasn't feeling fasted enough. Haha! I also have started pole fitness and I do yoga. I'll be back on skates soon and I do resistance band workouts and dumbbells. Plan to do skating for 1+ hrs 5 days a week. Mix the rest in and then get into lifting at the gym a few times a week.

My question is, with my workout goals, is it going to be too much on an intermittent fast?
  • alcomer
    alcomer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Amy. Tomorrow will be 3 weeks IF for me, I am down 5 lbs with 6 lbs to go till goal. IF has really helped me break the plateau that I had been at for months. I do 17/7, 1200 calories.
  • lady_of_steele
    lady_of_steele Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Heyooooo! Nice to meet you all! I enjoyed reading the stories here, so I thought I'd introduce myself:

I'm Becky, and when I wake up tomorrow, I will have been intermittent fasting (16:8) for one week. My question for the group: workouts during fasting hours or non-fasting hours--which have you had success with? Or both?

I really, really like it! I thought it'd be dreadful, but here's what I've noticed so far:
    • I'm drinking less alcohol (because I have to drink earlier and STOP at my fasting start time, which is either 7pm or 8pm)
    • My mental abilities are heightened. I'm a PhD student, so this is a welcome bonus, haha.
    • My workouts are better. I spent the week working out during my eating hours, but this week, I'm going to shift some of my workouts to my fasting hours.
    • My sympathy snacking? It's stopped completely. No more binge eating while watching Hulu!

I had cervical spine surgery in December 2017, after having relentless numbness and pain in my hands and feet since July. Combined with my "down months" of no exercise, the three months I spent in PT (January 15 - March 28), and sympathy snacking, I've added 15 pounds on top of the 10 pounds I was training hard to lose last summer. All in all, I'm 25 pounds over my normal weight.

HOWEVER--physical therapy helped me focus on something I've never done before: strength training of my core and upper body. And, I'm addicted!

I love indoor climbing (bouldering with no rope), as well as hiking. I'm combining intermittent fasting with those activities in the hopes of being FIT: muscular and tone, with what I assume will result in some weight loss.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Hi, new to IF! Started about a month ago to stop eating after supper (5:30 p.m.) then just eat breakfast when I got up about 6:30ish. Just over a week ago decided to prolong breakfast to 9:30. I love it! Yes I do feel hungry before bedtime and in the morning until 9:30 but it is just uncomfortable and manageable. I will try when I can to do a workout as well prior to eating on days where I don't work.

I wish I had tried this years ago!
  • lady_of_steele
    lady_of_steele Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi @MzHottieAfterABody! I've worked out extensively during the first two weeks of my IF (16:8, between 1200-1400 calories when eating). That has included strength training (kettlebells, free weights, resistance), indoor rock climbing, some light cardio (elliptical, treadmill), and TONS of walking. Haven't had an issue with it yet, and I've done some of those work outs before I ended my fast. I'll finish week 2 of IF this Sunday.

Good luck, and I can't wait to see you reach your target!
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
  • emilym820
    emilym820 Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I've been dabbling in fasting but I'm finally ready to commit to the lifestyle.
  • KingCable
    KingCable Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. My name is Stephen and I am 40 years old, I have been living my life as if I am indestructible. I am on high blood pressure medication. With that being said, I have not done a particularly good job taking care of my body. My average weight when I was 30 was 195 pounds. I have gained about 45 pounds over the years and I worry that eventually its going to catch up with my health. and I haven't liked what I have been seeing in the mirror for a long time.

What have I been doing:
    When I started this weight loss journey I weighed 239 pounds. That was Jan 1st 2018. I haven't done any sort of physical exercise in years. First thing I did was to implement "Baby Steps" (the name I have given to ease into this lifestyle change). I first cut out all liquids except water (and coffee). I portioned my meals. We have Fuel Up by Kcal here where I am. Its really good. Its a meal plan where you can choose how many grams of protein and carbs and veggies you want. Food comes precooked. All you have to do is throw it in the microwave.
    I have been logging every meal (even supplements and vitamins I take). My calorie goal is 1660. I however barely scratch 1100 daily. I run three times a week (and recently added some strength training) and average about 10,000 steps a day. I am now stuck at 220 pounds. I have been hovering around 220 for almost two weeks now. I have been told about plateauing and now I am teetering on it. Which has led me to try intermittently fasting. After the first month of my journey I had lost about 8 pounds and my blood pressure was completely under control. To the extent that my Doctor recommended that I come off the blood pressure meds as they were making my blood pressure too low. That's a win! I am starting to see the health benefits and i'm loving it.

I have been told about intermittently fasting for awhile now. I have hit a plateau in my weight loss journey and thought that I would give this a shot. I was planning to try intermittently fasting starting tomorrow. 7 days of eating between Noon and 8pm, followed by 7 days of eating between 8am and 4pm.

My questions:
    When I am in my eating window, how many calories should I target for those 8 hours? I have seen so many different trains of thought and I am really unsure. I have seen some that shoot low one day then double the next day of fasting. Not sure what to set as my caloric daily goal?

Should I stick to my normal caloric intake which is about 1100 during my 14 day fast?

I am glad that this group exists and appreciate any and all advice.

Best regards,

Stephen
  • joeyslosingit
    joeyslosingit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    Newbie just finished day 1 and am happy I have not died. I am using BodyFast app which is 16:8.
    I am hoping that this will help me shift a bunch of weight (over 30kgs).
  • laurenisfitforlife
    laurenisfitforlife Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I’m back on the IF train. I’m doing 16:8 with my window of eating (for now) 10:00 to 6:00 pm. Since I’m easing back into it that’s my starting point, but I will probably adjust to 12:00 to 8:00 pm. Also, feel free to add me as a friend!
  • pinkcar06
    pinkcar06 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I started the 16:8 today, my feeding window between 11am-7pm. Since I won't be having breakfast, does anyone know if it is okay to have coffee or tea?
  • bluefairy2018
    bluefairy2018 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hi ive been fasting for 9 weeks lost a stone but the last 3 weeks ive come to a stand still, so join this app to look for support and advice
  • HV1013
    HV1013 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Hello everyone!

While I'm used to eating 1-2 meals/day, I had been feeding myself inappropriately (high-carb meals). I found out about Keto about a month ago & began my research.

Last week, I stopped eating processed foods & began eating healthier, staying away from carbs. Just this Monday, I began tracking my macros & started ACV & bulletproof coffee (w/ butter & MCT). My goal is to have 5% carbs, 20-25% protein, and 70-75% fat daily. For supplements, at night I take Magnesium & Turmeric - in the morning, Zinc & D5.

So far this week, I've maintained a 16:8, and am aiming toward OMAD. Honestly, I'm a little surprised I'm not starving and am craving salads, healthy fats & grass-fed meat. In this short period of time, I already feel more alive & awake than I have been in a long time!

I'm 38 years old & am 4'9''
    CW: 199
    GW: 150 (....and beyond - at least to 130)

At this point, I don't think I have any questions (for myself) - but am sure that as I go through the process, I will. I will say however, that I've found A LOT of valuable information through Dr. Berg, Dr. Berry, and Dr. Jason Fung.

For my mother however, I'm trying to convince her that this is the path to go & am sharing my research w/ her. She's had diabetes for years, and now has lymphedema (where she sees a nephrologist). She's stuck on taking pills to correct all her problems, and even has other prescriptions to counteract the side effects of some others. It's insane!
    Ultimately though, I know I've planted a seed & it's up to her to make the lifestyle change.

Looking forward to the rest of this journey!
  • HV1013
    HV1013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    pinkcar06 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone! I started the 16:8 today, my feeding window between 11am-7pm. Since I won't be having breakfast, does anyone know if it is okay to have coffee or tea?

Coffee & tea are ok, but plain (you can even add a tbsp of butter or MCT oil) ...it shouldn't mess you up). Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) w/ water is okay, too.

...hope this helps!:: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aOGxhbe-Hc