How are you getting on with C25K?

Options

Replies

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    OK, did my 5K. I told myself I could quit at 30 minutes but at 30 minutes I was less than half a mile from done (as I knew I would be) so I just said screw it. 35:38, which is the same as my race time (35:41). And now I'm going to rest for a day or two. I'm getting really sore from the class now, so I will probably plan on another run on Sunday, with the class again on Monday.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,072 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yeah that's what I understand about the daith too. My migraines are mostly in control at the moment, but I thought it couldn't hurt, and I don't have any med stuff planned that will require it coming out before it heals. That said, I like the aesthetics of the regular cartilage piercing better. I mean, I could just do both, I guess.

I don't think doing intervals is honestly that different from doing longer runs as long as the time adds up, so I don't think that you're slowing yourself down any by doing them and putting off longer intervals as long as the running time itself is longer. The 10K bridge training starts out with 5 8-min with a minute between, so not that much different.

It wasn't the intervals that were slowing me down, I slowed myself down intentionally because my leg is still a little sore and I don't want to overdo it. Distance is my goal at the moment because of the charity event I am taking part in this month - I need to get 43km in by the end of the month, that's why I went for increased intervals over time. I definitely feel a difference between doing shorter more frequent intervals than longer less frequent ones, but then prior to C25K I hadn't done any running in almost 20 years. My goal is to be able to run 5km by September so I am in no rush :smile:
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    did week 8, day 3 on Saturday. Unfortunately, only got to 23mins before I needed the toilet - fortunately passing a football club so was saved.
    I did run for the remaining 5 mins and a bit further, but my timings were off.

Did a 3mile loop with some EVIL hills though (and I think I took about 50mins in total with the pitstop). First time round the loop wasn't too bad as I got to walk up the hill in the warm up - jogging up it the next time round was a bit mean though! Kept moving and sprinted on the home stretch so am counting it as the C25K run done.

30mins to do this week and then first park run on Saturday! yay
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You have graduated @beerfoamy! Congrats!

Last night I finally completed W8 D3, meaning I have graduated too! It is amazing to be able to leave the front door and run for 5k now, without too much of an issue. Now to keep this up and run a Parkrun soon. I want to train for a little longer as my Parkrun is 5.5k apparently, plus I have not tried trail running yet. But I have registered and have printed off and laminated my barcodes!

How's your leg @tinkerbellang83?

@TheGaudyMagpie, it's always impossible to stop when you get so close to your goal, even when you have told yourself that you could stop at 30mins. It's nice though: Once upon a time my brain would have been grateful for reaching that point, whereas now it tells me to stop being weak and to just hit that target.
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    @Steve25k has gone very quiet. No activity from him on Strava either. Hope he's ok.
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    @rianneonamission - not fully graduated yet. Still on week 9, and only hitting 2.5 miles in the 28 mins. :)
    My app has 3 more runs before completion - of 30mins each. It'll work out that the last one I will have as the park run on Saturday - am excited! will probably need to run for 35 or so. But hoping for under 40min for 5km. :)
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    Oh, you are using a different one then. Mine was an 8 week program (Zenlabs).
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    @rianneonamission much better just a bit of a dull ache now, suspect I just pulled a muscle, going gentle on it.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Mine was nine weeks too - RunDouble.

I went running last night but was only able to go 20 minutes. It was in the 80s (F) and there was no breeze at all. I had been hot all day and was feeling kind of sick and dizzy generally. I really need to get back into a pattern, so I am now planning to just go to the gym every day until the weather cools a bit (somewhat unlikely for the rest of the summer at this point). I'll just plan on a long run once a week.

Ugh, the treadmill. It does give me a reason to start on the 10K training though because I can just program the intervals and listen to my podcasts. If I'm in the habit of just going, it also gives me at least two days of resistance training a week, which I really need due to the crazy elevation gains and losses of the race. My gym also has a set of these funky hydraulic treadmills that mimic hills, so if I don't want to deal with a steady long run, I can do one of those and get my hill practice in.
  • Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Mine was 8 weeks - zenlabs like Rianne - which I completed a week or so ago and then haven't run since. Not been feeling great, feeling a bit blurgh. However today I got a message from @rianneonamission which prompted me to go for a run on the treadmill at work and try and sweat the funk away. I feel much better now, less nauseated, headache gone. Who'd have thought running could be good for you?
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    he's alive!
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    Steve25k wrote: »
    Mine was 8 weeks - zenlabs like Rianne - which I completed a week or so ago and then haven't run since. Not been feeling great, feeling a bit blurgh. However today I got a message from @rianneonamission which prompted me to go for a run on the treadmill at work and try and sweat the funk away. I feel much better now, less nauseated, headache gone. Who'd have thought running could be good for you?

Excellent news! Sweat out those nasties!
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    Steve25k wrote: »

Excellent!! well done - hope headache stays away!!

I did first 30min run this morning. Was surpisingly fine. Did 8.5km/h for most of it, ran at 10km/h for the last min and a half to try and get bit more distance. So 4.45km in 35mins (5mins was walk as warmup)
    Excited to get a 5km time, but not rushing to do it. I can wait til Saturday (which won't be a parkrun now as it starts at 9am and I have to be in work at 9:30. And can't turn up sweaty and gross!)
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Sorry I'm a bit quiet at the moment, I am taking a bit of a break from the C25K and just doing a couple of days of walk/slow jog intervals per week until my calf is 100% (it's much better than it was but may have to pay a visit to a physio if it's still playing up next week) I am still here cheering you all on :smile:
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 I hope your calf will feel better soon! I actually thought about you :) and that's what made me pop in here.

As for my progress, finished week 4 today. Runs have gone fairly good, this week though the second 5 min run part - last 2 minutes have been feeling hard but I slowed down and didn't stop. And according to Runkeeper week 4 was rather consistently 3.7 km.

I am worried about week 5 though -_-. The jump in running times altogether scare me but I'll do what I can and take it from there and repeat if needed.
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Finished week 8, day 3 of C25K! I went 3.2 miles in 40:30! I'm tired, but so proud of myself! I know that I can run a 5k faster, and I'm going to attempt it at a parkrun on Saturday! Wish me luck!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Race mojo. You are no doubt capable of running faster and I imagine the energy of the parkrun will help with that. I wish we had them here. They seem like a lot of fun and I'll bet they are super motivating. Good job getting to the goal.

So I've gotten up and done my hill training at 5:30am the past three Tuesdays, so I'm considering adding in Thursdays so I can get in two long runs a week (I can do one in the morning on the weekend too). I suffer from some really terrible insomnia though, so it's hard. I can assume that I'll get 5 hours of sleep at most when I get up early and it's hard to make it through the day on that. Unfortunately I can't see a way around it because it is just too hot here, even if I wait until after dark. I guess I could treadmill it, but I can't see myself sticking to that. I can see really enjoying running in the early light at the lake, so that's going to win out for now. I do go through cycles where I actually sleep like a normal person and I'm hoping I'm due for one of those soon. Maybe as the thyroid continues to level out.

• beerfoamy
    Options
    4un1z0gedlvl.jpg

now am not getting too hyper (she says) as I am not 100% sure of the Garmin's distance measure - but yay!! :D
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    Excellent time @beerfoamy! Take your phone and run something like Runkeeper, Strava or MapMyRun to compare it to your Garmin. Can't imagine it would be out by much, if anything.

Well done @MegansMom2011! Now that you have reached the distance you can work on your time. It'll soon come down, I'm sure!

Sounds like a case of needs must @TheGaudyMagpie. Mind you, there is something really nice about running early in the day, if only for the energy boost. I do get that 5.5 hrs isn't enough sleep to get you through the day though. Hopefully it will cool down soon to make things easier!

@Tiikerinraidat Don't worry about the wk5 jump. You'll be fine. Remember: It's mind over matter!

Keep on recovering @tinkerbellang83.

I've caught my partner's lurgy. Not ill, but have that horrible feeling in the back of my nose/upper throat, and feel very tired. I doubt it will get worse, but I might just leave my next 5k until next week, or if I feel better this weekend run just 3k or so just to keep the momentum going. If I don't feel well enough I'll stick to the weights in the gym.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    @rianneonamission thanks and feel better soon