How are you getting on with C25K?

Replies

• Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    Anyone using Garmin connect and want to connect? I've set myself a goal to run 50km in the next 30 days and it would be fun to make these challenges with other people around my level or running.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Steve25k wrote: »
    Anyone using Garmin connect and want to connect? I've set myself a goal to run 50km in the next 30 days and it would be fun to make these challenges with other people around my level or running.

I am on GC, same username (although it's frustrating the hell out of me since the latest update - why have my intensity minutes vanished and why is GPS not working on runs but fine on everything else aaarrgh - rant over) might not be quite as high a level in terms of distance for running but I get around 90-100,000 steps per week in between walking and running.

• beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    I have Garmin connect but hate the layout and never sync my band with my computer (app won't work on the phone). Maybe in August when I get a new phone I can sync more and will join you in goals!

Update on C25K - Week 7, day 3 and really did not want to move this morning. 6am considering pulling a sickie. Realised I would be bored 30mins after waking up and feel bad about not being able to run in the heat, so 6:15 and I am off down the road.

Did a 5km loop I used a while back when I was 'training' for a 5km (training = walking and running til done, hit around 42mins)
    Felt really easy doing the first 2.5km, even up a hill - not done that before!

On the way back started to feel it, and was going to do what @Steve25k did and run for 30mins, but heard that double beep and just stopped. I did run alot faster for the last minute though, got stitch, but was fun.

Taking off the warm up/cool down walks, I ran 4.1km in 25mins, so the 5km took me around 44 mins with the walking added :)

feeling chuffed with myself today :smiley:
  • Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    Taking off the warm up/cool down walks, I ran 4.1km in 25mins, so the 5km took me around 44 mins with the walking added :)

Looks like we're similar pace. Well done on the run and on going up a hill, mine rout is all flat.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Finished week 1 yesterday. So far I have been able to finish the runs/walks rather easy, we'll see how next week goes :D
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Finished week 1 yesterday. So far I have been able to finish the runs/walks rather easy, we'll see how next week goes :D

You'll be fine. Day one will feel hard, by day 3 you'll be wondering why you were worried. That's pretty much what I felt every week :D
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Steve25k wrote: »
    beerfoamy wrote: »

Looks like we're similar pace. Well done on the run and on going up a hill, mine rout is all flat.

yeah, I didn't realise my route had a hill until I started shuffling up it! d'oh!
    but it was doable :)

• tinkerbellang83
    Week 5 Day 2 update: I didn't check the details of the run before I set out, unlike other weeks, the whole week is not the same. Day 2 is in fact 2 x 8 min runs with a 5 min walking interval between. This came as a bit of a shock to me when I got round my usual route where I normally get the audio notification for 5 mins being complete and it didn't sound :lol:. That said I completed the two run intervals without any issues and achieved a new personal best for 1km in 8 mins 45 secs.

I was originally going to do my C25K Day 3 on my colour fun run/walk thing at the weekend but as I've now discovered that it's the 20 minute run I am going to postpone that until Tuesday and just do some 5 min interval runs, the run takes place at lunch time and it's still pretty warm here and I am used to running late in the evening when it's a bit cooler.

• Tania_181
    Tania_181 Posts: 100 Member
    As of today I've now made it through two 28- minute runs at a relatively slow speed. Covered the treadmill timer with my towel today but I'm still struggling to fight against the thoughts telling me to stop. I really don't know how people make it through long-distance runs!
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 355 Member
    I just completed week 7, day 1 today but I did it outside for the first time. I'm visiting England for a bit and was initially chilly when I started, but was sweating by the end of it. I'm happy that I was able to complete the run without stopping, although I'm not sure how far I went or my speed (no gps tracker app uploaded). It felt similar to the speed I do on the treadmill, but either way I'm happy I kept running without stopping for 25 minutes! :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited June 2017
    @MegansMom2011 That's fab well done.

I walked the majority of the colour dash but at a fairly brisk pace, the way it was set up it would have been impossible to try and do it as my C25K as the route is fairly narrow and the runners and walkers were both using the same path up and back. I also have really bad sunburn on the back of my legs so didn't fancy getting sweaty knees :anguished: So I am doing my Week 5 Day 3 tomorrow night. This will be my first 20 minute constant running, excited and nervous to see if I will do it.
  • rianneonamission
    Nice work @MegansMom2011! Shame you didn't manage to track it, but in fairness the fact you managed to run for 25 mins is what matters. Did you prefer running outside or would you rather have done it on a treadmill?

Today I went out at lunch time to run Wk7 D3 and decided to attempt to run the warm up and cool down.

I got in to a rhythm practically straight away and according to Strava I ended up running for 35:05 mins and covered 4.8km in that time, with an average pace of 7:15 mins/km. Basically I beat every single PR and ran for 10 mins longer than my longest run to date (wk7 d2). Really happy with the result. I have to say though that by the end my breathing became very laboured, so clearly I did push myself perhaps a little harder than I should have done.

Not that I care, I feel like I've learned to control my mind!
  • rianneonamission
    So I am doing my Week 5 Day 3 tomorrow night. This will be my first 20 minute constant running, excited and nervous to see if I will do it.

Mind over matter. It really is. Just tell yourself that you can run the twice 8mins with a short break, and all you'll be doing now is running that break. Just slow yourself down a little to help keep going.
  • tinkerbellang83
    @rianneonamission that's awesome, I know it's all in my mind, I need to try and be less clock-watchy lol Once I see how I get on I might start listening to audio books rather than music. I am too aware of roughly how long a music track lasts :lol:
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    I am too aware of roughly how long a music track lasts :lol:

I am listening to random (running) playlists on Spotify so I have no clue how long a track is going to last :D but we'll see later when my runs get longer.

• tinkerbellang83
    @Tiikerinraidat I won't tell you the average track length in case I make you more clock watchy too lol
  • tinkerbellang83
    Ok so today was Week 5 Day 3 for me and my first 20 minute run, admittedly when I got to 11/12 mins I had to take a minute to walk but I did an extra few minutes at the end to make up for it. I had to go put much earlier as they are doing repairs on our water mains and our water was getting cut off for a few hours so wanted to be back in time to shower, take a bath and get some laundry done. New PBs 1 mile - 14:35 mins and longest run 2.75km
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 355 Member
    @rianneonamission Thank you! I am used to running on a treadmill more, so I think because of that comfort level, I prefer indoor. But I didn't look at the clock as much when running outside. So, I think doing both have their pros and cons.

Congrats on running the whole run!!! That's gotta feel good to push through the mind barriers most of all!

Since I'm nearing the end of the program, I've already decided on continuing until I can transition to the 10K program. 10 years ago, I completed a full marathon in Hawaii. It'd be nice to be able to run for a half marathon by the end of the year, even if it's not in a race somewhere (for my 10 year anniversary of my marathon run).
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    I took a break last week as multiple things collided - bad heat wave, TOM, and waiting for my thyroid to perk up. And then this week has been tough. I'm working on a cosplay project with my daughter and the universe conspired against us to make everything last minute, even though we started a month ago. I did a cruddy run in the evening heat on Sunday - only about two miles, and I did some hill work on Tuesday morning. Tonight the kid is at rehearsal and I need her to proceed, so I'm going to hit the lake on the way home and do a real run, but probably just 30 minutes.

After tomorrow night, I'll be able to get back on track (her convention is Saturday). I'm planning on a long run on Saturday, maybe the gym on Sunday, and then more hill work on Monday. After that, I'm back to my alternating schedule except that one day a week will be hills. I really need to figure out a way to incorporate some weight training into my schedule because it was clear during the hill training that I need to build more leg strength. I may try to do the gym on the evenings of the hill days because I do the hills in the early morning.