How are you getting on with C25K?

Options

Replies

• Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @rianneonamission congratulations on running the 20 mins - I've just come back from doing it (Monday morning) I should have done it Friday but got overtaken by events.

It's quite amazing to think that only 5 weeks ago I was struggling with 90 seconds of running!

Im looking forward to week 6 now, the 22 minutes on day 3 doesn't look so daunting now.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks, same to you @Steve25k. How was it for you? My calf was screaming at me for the last 5 mins or so.
  • Tania_181
    Tania_181 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Started week 6 today and it almost seemed harder to get through than the last run of week 5, despite the walk breaks!
  • Steve25k
    Options
    Tania_181 wrote: »
    Started week 6 today and it almost seemed harder to get through than the last run of week 5, despite the walk breaks!

Noooooooooooo! Week 6 starts in 2 days for me.
  • Steve25k
    Options
    @rianneonamission not too bad actually - my left shin ached a bit and I noticed that my left foot kind of just flopped onto the floor probably because the muscle in my shin wasn't good enough to control it. My right one was fine. I was a little surprise to see that I hadn't broken any strava records despite this being the first time I'd run 1 mile non stop.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm doing week 9 day 2 tonight. I had some blood tests this weekend and found out that I'm pretty hypothyroid again. I'm shocked because I'm so hungry and waking up in the middle of the night so I thought I was actually hyper, but I guess that can happen with hypo too. I'm kind of surprised I've been so successful running, but I'm really looking forward to getting on the right dose and maybe losing some weight.
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yay! Staying on track with my C25K. Just completed Week 3 day 1. Not as bad as I thought it'd be. Looking forward to the next run!
  • MegansMom2011
    Options
    Steve25k wrote: »
    @rianneonamission not too bad actually - my left shin ached a bit and I noticed that my left foot kind of just flopped onto the floor probably because the muscle in my shin wasn't good enough to control it. My right one was fine. I was a little surprise to see that I hadn't broken any strava records despite this being the first time I'd run 1 mile non stop.

Congrats on running one mile non-stop!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I only have one more run left! I'll finish up tomorrow night. The 30 minute run last night was surprisingly easy. Doing this program is seriously one of the best things I've ever done.

I will probably try to do 32 minutes on Friday and increase time until I'm doing a 5K. Last night I somehow got to an 11:07 mile, so I'm hoping to hit distance without adding on too much time.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    So as I'd mentioned before I kinda struggled with Week 4 of C25K, think mostly a combination of missing Week 3 Day 3 and a change of weather - it's been extremely humid and a lot warmer the last week or so, so I've dropped back to Week 3 again, in the hope I'll acclimatise on the run I was more comfortable with and be in a better position when I come to repeat Week 4. Wk 3 was definitely harder in the humidity but I got it done.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Well done to you both, @TheGaudyMagpie and @tinkerbellang83!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Did the 22min run at the end of week 6. Managed not to look at the clock for 17mins, then accidentally caught a glimpse. The last 5 minutes were soooooooo looooong.

But ran the 17mins at 8km/h, then in the last 5 mins upped it to 8.5, then 9 as my fave running songs came on (Indestructible: Disturbed and Midnight Queen: Nickleback) :smiley:

Felt good!! B)
  • Tania_181
    Tania_181 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Made it through my first 25minute run today, so pleased!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Well done guys! I will be doing my Week 3 Day 2 repeat this evening, weather is a little less humid so hopefully that will help.
  • MegansMom2011
    Options
    Just finished week 4, day 1! You'd better call me butter, cause I'm on a roll! Lol! But seriously, the 5 minutes vs 3 minutes is definitely more of a struggle for my muscles. I completed 2.4 miles. For now I'm doing this on a treadmill, but eventually I want to be brave enough to try it outside. Yay for progress!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    edited June 2017
    Options
    You'd better call me butter, cause I'm on a roll!

Best quote today.

I finished the program on Wednesday. I was going to stick with this mileage and work with it for a bit, but I think I actually am going to start with the bridge program on Monday. That will be five 8 minute runs with a minute in between for week 1 (it's five weeks). Then I'll still be kind of in sync with you all, but just in "week 10+". I'm trying to decide what to run tonight. I'm thinking about going for a full 5K, but I'm also hiking tomorrow so that might be a bit much. Maybe four 8-minute runs?

I've been doing about 2.7 miles in 30 minutes.

For some additional context, my test results came back a little wonky. I'm anemic and my thyroid is off again (that one was kind of a surprise). I've been on iron for four days now and I feel soooo much better (the higher thyroid dose too but it's probably too early for that to be doing anything). I feel like my performance tonight will be much better.

OH, and I pulled the trigger on compression running shorts. I'm going to be hella self-conscious though. Long shirt FTW.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Finished my repeat of week 3, went ok even doing a slightly more uphill route. Looking forward to having another go at week 4
  • MegansMom2011
    Options
    Just finished week 4, day 2. I'm learning how to breathe while running again. And reminding myself that I can do this... did much of it's mental when I'm tired. Nervous about the upcoming weeks. But I'll just keep trying my best.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Started week 7, first 25min run yesterday. all at 8.5km/h and hit 4km in 32 mins (5min warm up, 25 run, 2 cool down)

Learnt the hard way I am not good with eating before a run. Had protein shake and banana about an hour and a half before running. Last 8 minutes were NOT fun, had to cut cool down short.

So think tomorrows 25 mins will be much nicer! On treadmill again though. Weather has not been friendly this past week.

Still finding the boredom thing the worst. If I cover the clock it helps, along with keep telling myself, 'bored not tired, bored not tired'. My legs never really hurt during/after which is good. :smiley:
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    Started week 7, first 25min run yesterday. all at 8.5km/h and hit 4km in 32 mins (5min warm up, 25 run, 2 cool down)

Learnt the hard way I am not good with eating before a run. Had protein shake and banana about an hour and a half before running. Last 8 minutes were NOT fun, had to cut cool down short.

So think tomorrows 25 mins will be much nicer! On treadmill again though. Weather has not been friendly this past week.

Still finding the boredom thing the worst. If I cover the clock it helps, along with keep telling myself, 'bored not tired, bored not tired'. My legs never really hurt during/after which is good. :smiley:

Some of the others have tried audio books/ podcasts as a distraction. Might help with the boredom.