How are you getting on with C25K?

Options

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I find I'm the opposite, I run better on an empty stomach or a protein shake/bar, anything more than that and I feel like I am dragging an anchor. Well done @TheGaudyMagpie for unintentionally skipping ahead, I think you're dead on with your race plan, mine will be about the same so thinking along the same lines, will see how I'm doing Mid June.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely an empty stomach runner. What makes a difference is my food intake the previous day; especially the evening.

My legs are nicely sore today too.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Well, I ran it slowly, but I ran it. Official time was 35:41. After I started it, it was pretty easy to keep going. I was right in the middle in all categories (everyone, women, age group). I'm going to count it as W8D2 and do D3 the next time I run. After I'm done with W9, I'll run either 5K or 30 min for a few weeks and then start the 10K bridge program.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Bit gutted because of the crazy traffic on Saturday in Dublin I had to leave earlier than planned and didn't get back until really late so I missed my Week 3 Day 3 run, not sure now whether to just steam on into Week 4 and give it a whirl, do an extra day of running this week or just drop a day behind and carry on as normal.
  • Tania_181
    Tania_181 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm scheduled to do W5R2 today. Feeling a little nervous about the 8minute runs but I know I have felt that way for each progression and so far have been capable. I find the mental barrier is the worst, and the clock watching!
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    I skipped wk4 day 3 for various reasons. Did wk5 day 1 today, which was fine. However, I then looked at days 2 and 3 and gulped slightly (good luck @Tania_181, let us know how you get on!). Mind you, I have found it is mind over matter, so perhaps I am worrying about nothing.

@tinkerbellang83, you may well be ok heading straight in to wk4 if wk3 hasn't been too hard. There's certainly no harm in trying.

That's a fab time for a first 5k, @TheGaudyMagpie! Well done!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    @rianneonamission will soon find out, doing it tonight lol
  • Tania_181
    Tania_181 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just leaving the gym and feeling very cheery after completing my two 8-minute runs. It really was a case of mind over matter @rianneonamission. Can't believe I've got to attempt a 20-minute run in two days time. Good luck every one with your sessions!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Definitely mostly mental. I'm in week 8, but I ran a whole 5K on Sunday and it was fine. The furthest I had run in training was 2.49 miles. So it's pretty clear that the physical capability is there even before we're "ready."

I'm doing day 3 of week 8 (I deemed race day to be day 2 as that was 35 minutes of running).
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    Once you get to the '3/4 mile or 8 mins' descriptions in the app, does the voice still prompt you when to start running/walking?
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I use the Run Double app, which doesn't seem to be the one most people use. It does the voice prompt for every stage. I would imagine every app does, but I haven't used the others.
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I use the zen labs app which seems to be the common one.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I just checked and the app automatically treated the race as day 2 and checked it off. So that's cool.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Didn't manage the whole thing tonight, calves were very tight I am putting it down to lack of walking and some muscle soreness from 7 hours of driving Saturday, managed the first three run segments 3/5/3 ok, will just try again Thursday, in the meantime back to normal step count and extra stretching, had a nice hot bath and popped some deep freeze on my calves! I will not be beaten lol
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Week 4 was the hardest week for me. That's the week the ratio shifts. The week 5 20-minute run is intimidating until you do it, but I don't feel like it was as hard to get through as week 4. Week 4 is a lot of running if you add it up. It's just broken up into chunks. Week 5 is not that much more running. I feel like week 4 is the week that really gets you to the next level of conditioning while week 5 is the week that teaches you that the walking part is mostly a mental thing. Six is challenging, but I feel like that is when I started feeling less uncomfortable.

So hang in there, I guess is what I'm saying. :|
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Thanks for the pep talk it's appreciated
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    Just pop in an extra run for the week, you'll soon manage it!
  • Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love following people's progress on these threads. I'm at week 5 doing day 2 tomorrow. I'm probably going to go for some music/audio book to distract me. I'm not too worried about it, I know I can run it, I just need to learn to ignore my brain for 8 minutes.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    So yesterday's run was difficult. My legs felt very tired and heavy. I'm going to wait until Friday to start week 9.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    @Steve25k, I've been listening to the Lore podcast. I don't know if it's to your taste, but it's a documentary series about various weird historical things (like vampire rumors, or weird places). Each one is in the 20-ish minute range and is stand-alone, so you can listen to one or two and not have to keep up with a continuing story line. The Black Tapes is good too. It's a Serial-style series with a supernatural element. Continuing story line but short episodes so there are reasonable stopping points.

I like podcasts because they're episodic. Two episodes of Lore usually covers a workout and I don't have to stop in the middle of anything. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I ended up listening to music for the race because it was too hard to listen to the podcasts with all of the people and distractions, but I've been enjoying them on my training runs.