How are you getting on with C25K?

tinkerbellang83
tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
I've just completed Day 1 of Week 2 this evening, I'm finding it ok so far, nervous (but also excited) about the later weeks when there are longer intervals of running. I'm doing reasonably well at pacing myself so far so it'll be interesting to see if I can modify it for longer stints.

Replies

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    You probably will be fine. I didn't have to repeat any weeks until I got to Week 6, which I've repeated twice before due to illness. Even the Week 5 long run was fine after I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to finish it. If not, it's fine to repeat workouts until you're ready to move on. It's been challenging, but I've mostly been able to push forward. I suspect I'll be a little slowed down over the next few weeks though.

As I said, I've had to repeat Week 6 a couple of times. After I finished days 1 and 2 the first time, I decided to repeat them because I was having some trouble with allergies and asthma (I'm in California and we had a lot of rain so there's a lot of pollen this year). That went fine but then I got a cold right before I got to Day 3, so I took 5 days off and started at Day 1 again yesterday.

I had already scheduled a race, so I'll be doing a 5K on the 28th, which will now be at the end of Week 7 instead of at the end of training, as planned. Week 7 is 25-minute runs every day (I know, it seems crazy to me too!), so I'm going to treat the 5K like the start of Week 8, which is 28-minute runs. That should get me mostly through the race and hopefully some race day magic will carry me the rest of the way.

That's the plan anyway. It's dependent on me staying on schedule for the next couple of weeks, which may or may not happen.
  • tinkerbellang83
    You probably will be fine. I didn't have to repeat any weeks until I got to Week 6, which I've repeated twice before due to illness. Even the Week 5 long run was fine after I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to finish it. If not, it's fine to repeat workouts until you're ready to move on. It's been challenging, but I've mostly been able to push forward. I suspect I'll be a little slowed down over the next few weeks though.

As I said, I've had to repeat Week 6 a couple of times. After I finished days 1 and 2 the first time, I decided to repeat them because I was having some trouble with allergies and asthma (I'm in California and we had a lot of rain so there's a lot of pollen this year). That went fine but then I got a cold right before I got to Day 3, so I took 5 days off and started at Day 1 again yesterday.

I had already scheduled a race, so I'll be doing a 5K on the 28th, which will now be at the end of Week 7 instead of at the end of training, as planned. Week 7 is 25-minute runs every day (I know, it seems crazy to me too!), so I'm going to treat the 5K like the start of Week 8, which is 28-minute runs. That should get me mostly through the race and hopefully some race day magic will carry me the rest of the way.

That's the plan anyway. It's dependent on me staying on schedule for the next couple of weeks, which may or may not happen.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, my hope is that if I can manage a 25km walk (did this a couple of weeks ago) I should be able to do a 5km jog no problem if I build up to it, good luck with your race training :smile:
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 356 Member
    So, I didn't do my run yesterday, as I was too tired and took a nap instead. Today, I'm making it a priority. Can't slow down or give up!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, my hope is that if I can manage a 25km walk (did this a couple of weeks ago) I should be able to do a 5km jog no problem if I build up to it, good luck with your race training :smile:

You'll be fine then. I'm a hiker and I think the base level of fitness really helps with the progress. The longer runs are challenging at first, but they're totally doable for someone that is already moving on a regular basis. The first weeks felt hard to me, but now I can do 10 minutes without much trouble, so the progression is reasonable.

After today I'm done with intervals (again). From here on out it's all straight runs. I'm pretty nervous about it but I've been OK so far so I'm just going to trust the progression.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    So, I didn't do my run yesterday, as I was too tired and took a nap instead. Today, I'm making it a priority. Can't slow down or give up!

Did you run today? Where are you in the plan?

I'm doing W6D2 this afternoon -- 2 10-minute intervals. I was still feeling a little yucky today but I'm starting to feel better now and looking forward to the run.
  • Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    I did Week 3 Day 1 yesterday and it was fine - I like to moan about it but really it was fine. I did the C25K programme some years ago so I know what I'm in for. I got up to 2 hours of running at my peak, which seems almost impossible at the moment - but I know that this was how I felt last time I started C25K so I'm hoping for good things again. I'm signed up for a 10 mile run in 5 months which I think will take me about 2 hours to complete so I've got a long way to go from my current max of 3 minutes.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Steve25k wrote: »
    I'm signed up for a 10 mile run in 5 months which I think will take me about 2 hours to complete so I've got a long way to go from my current max of 3 minutes.

I have a 10K with a 1200 foot elevation gain in September. I did it last year hiking and came in nearly last (like 8th from the end with about 220 people). I want to do it again this year and maaaybe hit the middle.

The three minutes were hard for me, but ooof the 5 minutes. Those I almost didn't finish. Tomorrow I have to do 22 minutes, and last night was the last time for intervals. :open_mouth: I keep telling myself that I was freaked out about the 20-minute run in the 5th week and it was fine, but I'm nervous.

It's still kind of amazing to me that we can make so much progress. I can't even imagine running for two hours!
  • MegansMom2011
    @TheGaudyMagpie I didn't do the run yesterday, but I did 15 flights of stairs with spring cleaning.
    Today, I just now completed Week 2, Day 1. Yay! Went 2.22 miles! Thanks for holding me accountable! Love that about my MFP friends - you don't let me give up!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Week 2 Day 2 for me today, the weather isn't very encouraging, it's rained all day but *kitten* it, I am going out there anyway!

Well done @MegansMom2011 I managed about 2.3km when I did it :smile:
  • MegansMom2011
    edited May 2017
    I convinced my friend to meet me at the gym two days a week after she's complimented my weight loss, so I want to start week 3 of C25K next week. Which means tomorrow and Saturday I'm going to finish week 2.

Well done @tinkerbellang83 with your progress too! :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    Are you guys doing your running on a treadmill or outdoors? Just curious.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Way to go everyone!

I run outdoors at a lake that is on the way home from my work. I live in California, so I don't have many excuses not to go outside. We have had some weirdly unseasonable rain, but it hasn't been enough to interrupt my schedule. I live in the county of a big city, but my town is just starting a development boom and is committed to incorporating trails into the city plan, so I have this place on my commute home. It's about .75 miles around, with a combined asphalt/dirt trail, so it's perfect for training.
    71gns1ee71pd.jpg

• tinkerbellang83
    @TheGaudyMagpie looks lovely. I'm currently running round the estates in our area as it's fairly flat but there are some nice wooded trails that I go dogwalking on, once I get a taste for it and can manage a bit more hill.
  • Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    Are you guys doing your running on a treadmill or outdoors? Just curious.

I run outside too - I walk the dog for an hour each day so 3 times I week I run instead. I run down an old railway track (track removed and shingle put down) that goes through the wood so it's lovely and flat. It actually goes about 2 miles to a local village, so when I'm doing the long runs later on in the program I'm hoping to reach there and back.

When I last ran it was mostly on the treadmill at work - I find it harder outside - the ground isn't even and so my ankles take more of a battering, also I can't distract myself with motivating videos, and it rains, and it's muddy.

• tinkerbellang83
    @Steve25k you're really selling the outdoors lol I quit the gym in December because it wasn't a particularly motivating environment for me - too busy/too cramped/too hot - so I don't have the option of a treadmill.

I have the same issue with uneven surfaces even though I'm running on pavements, Irish infrastructure leaves a lot to be desired. It's usually hotchpotch of surface types and every house has a different level drive ramp. I've some orthotic insoles inside my trainers so I'm hoping the combination of those and the gel in the trainers will help cushion my poor feet, they've had enough drunken sprains and ligament tears.

• TheGaudyMagpie
    I've some orthotic insoles inside my trainers so I'm hoping the combination of those and the gel in the trainers will help cushion my poor feet, they've had enough drunken sprains and ligament tears.

I got some padded socks from Asics, and I'm surprised at how much they help. One of the things that happens to middle-aged women (I'm 49) is that they lose fat on the bottoms of their feet. Some mornings I would wake up and the bottoms of my feet would be sore. The socks really help with that even though they don't seem like they would do much.

Other than that I've had virtually no issues, which kind of surprises me. I'm even committing the mortal sin of running in inexpensive New Balance shoes with no gait analysis.

The trail I run on is very smooth, for a "trail." It's specifically meant for walking, biking, and running, so it's more of a track than a trail.
  • tinkerbellang83
    I've some orthotic insoles inside my trainers so I'm hoping the combination of those and the gel in the trainers will help cushion my poor feet, they've had enough drunken sprains and ligament tears.

I got some padded socks from Asics, and I'm surprised at how much they help. One of the things that happens to middle-aged women (I'm 49) is that they lose fat on the bottoms of their feet. Some mornings I would wake up and the bottoms of my feet would be sore. The socks really help with that even though they don't seem like they would do much.

Other than that I've had virtually no issues, which kind of surprises me. I'm even committing the mortal sin of running in inexpensive New Balance shoes with no gait analysis.

The trail I run on is very smooth, for a "trail." It's specifically meant for walking, biking, and running, so it's more of a track than a trail.

Sadly I have to be careful with mine now I had an extremely painful back injury last year that was inflamed further by poor supporting footwear and the amount of walking I was doing, I ended up with my pelvis and left knee twisting out of place. Had 2 gait scans as part of my chiropractic treatments first one was terrible but had the 2nd one last month before tackling my charity walk and it's improved drastically to the point where I've managed to modify my gait and equalise my weight distribution. I have a lovely pair of gel asics (got used to asics after buying them subsidised from US PX on military camps in the Middle East) and they seem to be doing a great job.

Anyway just finished Week 2 Day 2 - was a bit of a struggle even if I managed to up my pace a bit at the end and got a little further (2.5km). Think I might have to re-think my workout schedule, think doing my cardio/strength training on 2 of my C25K off days is probably a bit much on top of walking 6km to/from work, so will have to re-jig things a bit to make sure I'm getting enough rest in. Legs are fairly achey today.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    I'm not doing any strength training right now except for some push ups. I knew I'd be tired if I did anything else and I really wanted to focus on the running. It does sound like you've taken on a lot of physical activity right now. I'm planning to take a little time after training to improve my 5K and I'll add strength training back in at that point, when I'm not aggressively increasing miles.

I know I'm lucky with the gait thing. I do check my soles for wear patterns and everything looks pretty even. I didn't have any trouble when I ran before either. I've been hiking for years though, with challenging elevation gains and uneven terrain, so I suspect my legs are pretty well-conditioned. When I have trouble, it's with my breathing. I started using an inhaler before I run because the running is triggering asthma, which I don't get day-to-day anymore. I'm hoping it will go away with more conditioning, but the inhaler is helping for now.

I'm sorry about your injury. I'm glad you seem to be moving toward resolving the issues.
  • tinkerbellang83
    I'm not doing any strength training right now except for some push ups. I knew I'd be tired if I did anything else and I really wanted to focus on the running. It does sound like you've taken on a lot of physical activity right now. I'm planning to take a little time after training to improve my 5K and I'll add strength training back in at that point, when I'm not aggressively increasing miles.

I know I'm lucky with the gait thing. I do check my soles for wear patterns and everything looks pretty even. I didn't have any trouble when I ran before either. I've been hiking for years though, with challenging elevation gains and uneven terrain, so I suspect my legs are pretty well-conditioned. When I have trouble, it's with my breathing. I started using an inhaler before I run because the running is triggering asthma, which I don't get day-to-day anymore. I'm hoping it will go away with more conditioning, but the inhaler is helping for now.

I'm sorry about your injury. I'm glad you seem to be moving toward resolving the issues.

Thanks - no back pain for 6 months now. Was all a result of a slip on some ice last January.

Have you tried swimming to build up your lung capacity? Worked great in my late teens when my childhood asthma was hanging on.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Have you tried swimming to build up your lung capacity? Worked great in my late teens when my childhood asthma was hanging on.

Despite growing up in Cali and spending most of my childhood in the pool or at the beach ... I really hate swimming. No idea why. I have a stationary bike at home and I should probably be cross-training on that on my off days, but I just haven't done it. I do OK with the inhaler though so I think it will probably go away over time. It's also been super pollen-y here because of all of the rain we got this year. I suspect I will have less trouble as spring passes. It doesn't help that I run in a place full of native plants (I suspect one of the natives to be the culprit based on the timing of my allergies).