How are you getting on with C25K?

Options

Replies

• TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I did my 32 minutes yesterday, but it was ugly. I didn't thing I would finish. My allergies are attacking again and I forgot to hit my inhaler before I started. It was pretty hot too, which probably didn't help things. I'll be going again tomorrow for my last 32 min. I may go to the lake later in the evening though. I'm finishing at 2.8 miles (4.5 km) so next week I will probably just push through to the 5K for my runs and then either do that for another week or start the bridge program.
  • Steve25k
    Steve25k Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm a couple of weeks behind you @TheGaudyMagpie, I'm doing the 25 minute runs this week. Can't wait until I can do 5km because I'm then going to join a park run and make it part of my weekly routine. Sorry to hear about the allergies, fingers crossed for tomorrow's run.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I wish we had park runs around here. We have some meetup groups but the participants are pretty limited in number and they're mostly focused on training, not social runs. If you want to do the park runs, you may not have to wait. You're probably able to run 5K already, especially in an upbeat setting. I did a 5K race in week 8.

Luckily my allergies aren't too bad but I seem to be prone to exercise induced asthma when they are kicking up. Using the inhaler before my runs usually fixes it but I totally forgot yesterday and I didn't want to go back to the car.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I wish we had park runs around here. We have some meetup groups but the participants are pretty limited in number and they're mostly focused on training, not social runs. If you want to do the park runs, you may not have to wait. You're probably able to run 5K already, especially in an upbeat setting. I did a 5K race in week 8.

Luckily my allergies aren't too bad but I seem to be prone to exercise induced asthma when they are kicking up. Using the inhaler before my runs usually fixes it but I totally forgot yesterday and I didn't want to go back to the car.

You could always set up your own! I did it when I had no-one to watch the rugby world cup with when I moved to Ireland - I now have 300+ members lol
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I just looked into it, and you have to help arrange sponsors and everything. A little more than I want to get into right now. I might be able to set up a regular 5K through one of the meetup groups though.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I just looked into it, and you have to help arrange sponsors and everything. A little more than I want to get into right now. I might be able to set up a regular 5K through one of the meetup groups though.

It was the meetups I was on about lol It's free to set-up a meetup til you get 50 members I think.
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Week 4 Day 2 (Repeat) - Adjusted my route through the housing estates so I didn't run out of road this time. Challenging but not too hard. 3 Personal records recorded on my Garmin last night Longest "Run" 2.63km, Best time for 1km 9:04 mins and Best time for 1 mile 14:47 mins. I did cardio and strength training before my run which warmed me up nicely and no pain, just the normal muscle soreness associated with a tough workout. So I am quite pleased with that :smile:
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    not done C25K for a week due to foot and knee aches - but am all better now, so doing week 7, day 2 tomorrow or Sunday :smiley:
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    @TheGaudyMagpie I really appreciate you teaching me what to do after I complete the C25K program but not ready for the 10k program, by working your way up to that point. I'm glad you're ahead of me and giving good insight along your journey. :smiley:
  • MegansMom2011
    Options
    Just completed Week 5, Day 1 yesterday. Also walked for an hour at a slow 2.5 pace since I hadn't exercised at all this busy week. (Daughter just finished kindergarten - what?!) Looking forward to running again today and finishing what I started. A while ago, I told myself that I'm not a quitter and if I was tired say climbing the stairs halfway, I wouldn't quit and sleep there on the steps, I'd finish and get into my bedroom. I remind myself of this when I'm feeling too tired to finish my workout - get up the rest of the stairs! Finish strong (then collapse in bed)! Lol!
  • MegansMom2011
    Options
    Yahoo! Just completed week 5, day 2! Not as bad as I thought it'd be. But tomorrow is intimidating me with a non-stop run of 20 minutes... Just gotta occupy myself and not look at the clock. I'll keep everyone posted!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Yahoo! Just completed week 5, day 2! Not as bad as I thought it'd be. But tomorrow is intimidating me with a non-stop run of 20 minutes... Just gotta occupy myself and not look at the clock. I'll keep everyone posted!

I was too. Everyone is. But you can totally do it, and you'll feel great after you do. If you feel like you need to walk, slow down to walking speed but keep running. Breathe deeply and catch your breath. You'll be surprised at how you don't really need to walk to catch your breath. You're probably walking pretty hard and fast during your walk intervals already and you just did 21 minutes total. It really is the matter of a small degree to run at a slow pace during that time instead.
  • MegansMom2011
    Options

I was too. Everyone is. But you can totally do it, and you'll feel great after you do. If you feel like you need to walk, slow down to walking speed but keep running. Breathe deeply and catch your breath. You'll be surprised at how you don't really need to walk to catch your breath. You're probably walking pretty hard and fast during your walk intervals already and you just did 21 minutes total. It really is the matter of a small degree to run at a slow pace during that time instead.

Thank you so much. I'm so thankful to all the support and encouragement and understanding on MFP. I actually didn't do my run yesterday because I was so tired and am getting over a cold. But feeling better today, so I'm going to try my best!

On another note, I just crossed over into the 20lbs lost group! Yay!
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    week 7, day 2. Felt good apart from my garmin beeping at what I thought was 15mins, thought I was doing great - looked at watch a while later and it said 16mins! The first beep was because I had hit goal of steps, which, yay - but I thought I was over half way through. haha

But another 25 mins done - outside is soooooo much easier mentally!! :D
    2 miles in the 25 mins.

Love this group! everyone is epic!!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

Thank you so much. I'm so thankful to all the support and encouragement and understanding on MFP. I actually didn't do my run yesterday because I was so tired and am getting over a cold. But feeling better today, so I'm going to try my best!

On another note, I just crossed over into the 20lbs lost group! Yay!

You are doing brill. :drinker: well done on 20-ville. Feel better soon.
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    week 7, day 2. Felt good apart from my garmin beeping at what I thought was 15mins, thought I was doing great - looked at watch a while later and it said 16mins! The first beep was because I had hit goal of steps, which, yay - but I thought I was over half way through. haha

But another 25 mins done - outside is soooooo much easier mentally!! :D
    2 miles in the 25 mins.

Love this group! everyone is epic!!

I hate it when my Garmin does that, and it's something random like I've reached my flight of stairs goal for the day :angry:
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Week 4 Day 3 done yesterday, not till 10:30pm because we appear to be having a little heatwave here and it was super hot - plus I was out at the pub earlier in the evening :lol:.

Again the run was challenging but not a struggle so I am pleased with the improvement. Looking forward to Week 5. I have a colour fun run next Sunday which work have sponsored for a group of us for the Irish Cancer Society, I had hoped I would be at Week 7 this week and be able to run the majority of it, but I am happy to just do it as my Week 5 Day 3 and try and jog a bit more if I can.
  • Steve25k
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 They say running is mostly mental, and the mental strength you have demonstrated by going for a run after going to the pub suggests that you will ace the colour fun run.
  • MegansMom2011
    Options
    So, I forgot to update. First, yay, I'm feeling better! Second, I did my week 5, day 3 yesterday. Third, I just completed week 6, day 1 today! I'm definitely getting there. But boy does running mess with your head. My mantra was "if it was easy, everyone would do it." It's not easy, but I'm gonna do it!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Week 5 Day 1 completed without any drama. Waited until about 10:45pm cos it was just too hot early evening.
  • Steve25k
    Options
    Week 7 Day 3 completed today and because I'm a show off I ran the extra 5 minutes just to see how far I'd go in 30 minutes. The answer is not much further than if I'd just walked.

The good news is that now know where the turn around point is for 5km and I have a 5k time of 45 minutes to beat.