How are you getting on with C25K?

Options

Replies

• Tania_181
    Tania_181 Posts: 100 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I like podcasts because they're episodic. Two episodes of Lore usually covers a workout and I don't have to stop in the middle of anything. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I ended up listening to music for the race because it was too hard to listen to the podcasts with all of the people and distractions, but I've been enjoying them on my training runs.

I recommend the Guilty Feminist podcast, its funny and thought-provoking.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Steve25k wrote: »
    I love following people's progress on these threads. I'm at week 5 doing day 2 tomorrow. I'm probably going to go for some music/audio book to distract me. I'm not too worried about it, I know I can run it, I just need to learn to ignore my brain for 8 minutes.

I ran day 2 this morning and for some reason thought it was a 5 min run followed by a walk and an 8 min run. Turns out that I am quite aware of the distance of a 5 min run and checked my phone for the remaining time at that exact point.

It was doable. Tough, but doable
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    (Oh, and it notifies you to start as normal)
  • Tania_181
    Tania_181 Posts: 100 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yass! Completed the 20minute run this morning B)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Tania_181 wrote: »
    Yass! Completed the 20minute run this morning B)

Well done!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Week 4 Day 2 for me tonight, hopefully will have a bit more success. Did a bit of stretching and some resistance band work yesterday. Going to make sure I get a good warm up in beforehand too.
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    You can do this!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Week 4 of C25K is not going to plan at all, I don't know if the humidity has something to do with it as no issues previously with my knees and I'm taking it as slow as I comfortably can. Going to have an extra day rest and try day 3 on Sunday. Then I'll decide if I'm going to drop back to Week 3 or redo Week 4. Definitely won't be doing Wk 5 yet. Still I'm not totally defeated - I did 2 of 4 long segments in full and ran part of the other 2.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    It's hard to run in high humidity. If it were me, I'd redo week 4 before dropping back a week. You've already managed week 3 so I'd continue to try to meet the challenge of week 4 to keep up the challenge. It sounds like you are almost there if you are running at least some of the segments you couldn't finish.
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83, you will get there. Looks like you are on your way to doing it. I agree with @TheGaudyMagpie, don't drop back a week. You did that, keep focusing on week 4 instead.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Ugh. I just realized it's a half hour today. I was really tired yesterday and didn't plan to run today, but last night the husband reminded me that tomorrow is teen girl's dance recital, so that would mean no running until Sunday, which is too long. So I packed my running bag. Normally I'm pretty hyped but today I'm kind of blah about it. I'm also trying really hard to cut out my afternoon coffee because I'm terrible at sleeping as it is. Oh well. It's the last week and I should be done next Tuesday. I'm looking forward to mixing in some new stuff like hill runs and speed intervals. I'm happy with how far I've come, but it's getting a little sloggy.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    It's hard to run in high humidity. If it were me, I'd redo week 4 before dropping back a week. You've already managed week 3 so I'd continue to try to meet the challenge of week 4 to keep up the challenge. It sounds like you are almost there if you are running at least some of the segments you couldn't finish.
    @tinkerbellang83, you will get there. Looks like you are on your way to doing it. I agree with @TheGaudyMagpie, don't drop back a week. You did that, keep focusing on week 4 instead.

I didn't finish Week 3, that's why I am considering re-doing it. I only did the first 2 days. Think that could be why I am struggling with 4 so much. Will see how I get on with day 3, I don't think re-doing week 3 is a terrible plan, I would rather progress well slowly and build up my stamina than push myself too hard an end up with an injury. However, if I manage day 3 ok, I'll just repeat Week 4. I'm in no rush :smile:

• TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    @tinkerbellang83 That seems like a good plan then. If you didn't do all of week 3 then you may be correct that it's why you are struggling. Week 4 is a pretty significant escalation and I can see that a missing "bridge" day would cause problems.

I did go and run, and of course it was fine when I got there. When I drove up, I saw my husband's truck and he was there walking laps (he doesn't run) so I was able to do cool down with him. Just before I got to the park, I was stopped at a lot and the third car behind me didn't stop, causing a chain reaction up to the car immediately behind me. Luckily he managed to keep from being pushed forward. I've only had my car for two months so it would have been awful.

My legs are super tired today and I woke up starving in the middle of the night, even after a big dinner. I'm not going to run again until at least Sunday and I might wait until Monday because it's clear I need a rest and some food. I will be hiking tomorrow though and it's a pretty moderate hike -- 4 miles round trip with a 1,000 ft elevation gain. It's a hike I've done many times (it's very popular because it's relatively short but still challenging), but I haven't done it since starting C25K. I am curious about how I do now that I am a lot more conditioned. And I'm excited to be doing something that's not running in a circle for a half hour. :p
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited June 2017
    Options
    C25K Week 4 Update: Day 3 - jogged the majority of each segment but struggled again with the heat and humidity it's about 18 degrees and high humidity (expecting thunderstorms) - this might not sound much to some folks but that's hot in Ireland lol so going to drop back to week 3 next week and try and get more comfortable running in the warmer weather. Didn't get my extra rest day as made plans to go hiking tomorrow in County Kerry as Cork will be chaos with the city marathon taking place. Like @TheGaudyMagpie it will be my first time tackling it since starting C25K and completinh my 25km charity walk so I'll be interested to see if it's improved my uphill abilities. Have a great weekend folks!
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    It has been humid here too (Berks) so I get what you mean. I'm going to attempt wk5 day3, the dreaded 20 min run, tomorrow morning. Have you done it yet @Steve25k?

Good luck with the week three re-run. When are you planning to start?
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Got off track for a bit with running, but was able to do some yesterday and today I finished my week 2, day 3! So now on to week 3! Like the energizer bunny, gotta keep going!
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Well, I used to have to stop and rest a few times going up the mountain, but I didn't have to at all today. I have two more days for the program and I'll do them Monday and Wednesday. I think that on Friday I will run up and down the first steep hill to the hike a few times.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Had to stop a couple of times for water as it was still pretty warm but the view at the top was worth it. Made it up in about an hour and a half.

@rianneonamission you're doing great well done
  • rianneonamission
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Beautiful view! You all have such lovely running environments. I have purpose built paths through a 60s town. Green, but not quite as good!

Thanks @tinkerbellang83, my right calf is paying the price though!