How are you getting on with C25K?

Options

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I really need to figure out a way to incorporate some weight training into my schedule because it was clear during the hill training that I need to build more leg strength. I may try to do the gym on the evenings of the hill days because I do the hills in the early morning.

This has been one of the biggest problems for me during C25K my focus had to shift off my strength training to cardio for the first few weeks because trying to do both was a bit of a struggle. I have found doing a 15-20 min full body weight workout before I go out for my run has been enough to maintain the progress I was seeing with strength training prior to starting the program and I am going to start adding some additional workouts this week for Abs & Legs on Wednesdays & Saturdays which are my C25K rest days but not my exercise rest days. Resistance bands can be quite good for doing some strength training at home if you don't have any weights (also handy for when travelling as they are small and portable).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I took a break last week as multiple things collided - bad heat wave, TOM, and waiting for my thyroid to perk up. And then this week has been tough. I'm working on a cosplay project with my daughter and the universe conspired against us to make everything last minute, even though we started a month ago. I did a cruddy run in the evening heat on Sunday - only about two miles, and I did some hill work on Tuesday morning. Tonight the kid is at rehearsal and I need her to proceed, so I'm going to hit the lake on the way home and do a real run, but probably just 30 minutes.

After tomorrow night, I'll be able to get back on track (her convention is Saturday). I'm planning on a long run on Saturday, maybe the gym on Sunday, and then more hill work on Monday. After that, I'm back to my alternating schedule except that one day a week will be hills. I really need to figure out a way to incorporate some weight training into my schedule because it was clear during the hill training that I need to build more leg strength. I may try to do the gym on the evenings of the hill days because I do the hills in the early morning.

Same here, Between heat and some car issues, I'm probably going to have to slide back a week or 2.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I got in a half hour run. 2.66 miles. It was surprisingly easy considering the time off. On Saturday I'm going to get up early and do a 5K since the fam will be at a convention. My running partner has already posted the hill workout on Tuesday so I'm committing to that (even though it's at 5:30am - Oy!). I think I can get to the gym on Sunday. So it looks like I'm going to be back on schedule.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Week 6 Day 1 last night, legs were still a little achey from my mad amount of walking on Wednesday with the 2 crazy dogs and I probably shouldn't have stopped off at the pub with my friend on the way home for a couple of pints :lol: however I got it done at a reasonable pace. I am doing "Marathon in a Month" for the Irish Cancer Society in July - I need to try and get 43km of jogging in across the month.
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    On vacation right now, but still able to get my runs in. Walking a lot during my off days. Today, just completed week 7, day 2. Found a path to go 1.1 miles, & completed it there and back plus a little extra in the allotted time. So, I presume I was able to run at my usual pace (from my treadmill runs) and ended up going about 2.25 miles. Not as bad running outside this time. Perhaps when I return home, I'll mix up my runs more to being indoor and outdoor!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    W8 D1 today. Ran the warm up and cool down again, plus a little more. I was a bit slower than Monday (legs still a little sore from Monday's run and Tuesday's weighted squats), but I did a full 5k in 40:09. Very happy with that time!

I think I am going to stick to the full runs now and just work on technique, breathing and speed.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    My left calf muscle is really niggling at me they were quite sore after my walk on weds but not terrible and the same after thurs when I did Week 6 day 1, but they are normally fine a day after, this is still a little sore now even after 3 days. Was planning to do Day 2 tonight but think I might just do a more gentle run with a couple of intervals to see how it goes and pick C25K up on Weds. Not a great beginning to my Marathon in a Month :disappointed: broken before I have even started :lol:
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    My left calf muscle is really niggling at me they were quite sore after my walk on weds but not terrible and the same after thurs when I did Week 6 day 1, but they are normally fine a day after, this is still a little sore now even after 3 days. Was planning to do Day 2 tonight but think I might just do a more gentle run with a couple of intervals to see how it goes and pick C25K up on Weds. Not a great beginning to my Marathon in a Month :disappointed: broken before I have even started :lol:

:( but well played on the resting. Do you have a foam roller/tennis ball to roll the muscles? I cannot use them myself (fell of and sprained myself worse than the original ache and it put me off), but they are good if you aren't too inept/clumsy! :)

I got back onto C25K this morning. 6:25am, 28min run, 4.1km done. And apparently my gym is on a hill - did not know that until I was at the end of the run sturggling up said minor incline. Definitely a hill of mammoth proportions!! :D

but feel so good that after 2 weeks off/not bothering, I can still do the 28mins and hit the same distance. Roll on Fri and week 8, day 3!
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    I think it was @beerfoamy or @TavistockToad who recommended the stretch standing on the bottom step of the stairs and dropping your heels down to me. It's a fab stretch for your calves!

4.1k in 24 mins is good @beerfoamy! Do you use Strava at all, because that does give an indication of incline. I now run it at the same time as the zenlabs app because I prefer the data I get from Strava, but I want to complete the C25K challenge too.

I have mapped out a 3.2mile/5.15k lunchtime run (wk8 d2). I live practically around the corner from my office so will start my run here, finish at home to pick up my lunch (I forgot to bring it in this morning), and then use the 5-10 min walk back to the office as a cool down before having a shower at work (power shower, towels provided).

• tinkerbellang83
    Options
    @rianneonamission I will give that a try, I have a feeling it may be a trapped nerve from my lower back though, as have a bit of a twinge there too. @beerfoamy no foam roller but I have tried self-massage with some deep heat which hasn't made any difference. The run itself was fine, I'd say it probably slowed my pace a little but only marginally and doesn't seem to have made it any worse.
    I have mapped out a 3.2mile/5.15k lunchtime run (wk8 d2). I live practically around the corner from my office so will start my run here, finish at home to pick up my lunch (I forgot to bring it in this morning), and then use the 5-10 min walk back to the office as a cool down before having a shower at work (power shower, towels provided).

That sounds like a great plan to get your runs in, I am debating taking some stuff into work as we have showers here too, and there is a nice short loop round the marina just next to our offices.

• beerfoamy
    Options
    @rianneonamission I will give that a try, I have a feeling it may be a trapped nerve from my lower back though, as have a bit of a twinge there too. @beerfoamy no foam roller but I have tried self-massage with some deep heat which hasn't made any difference. The run itself was fine, I'd say it probably slowed my pace a little but only marginally and doesn't seem to have made it any worse.

yeah, self massage never does alot. I would say go see a Physio and stop it getting worse. I only went once and they pounded my leg, gave me some exercises and I never had to go back. They are great. He told me I had a weak left hamstring. Worked on that and now no lower back pain or IT band issues even when playing squash.

So yeah....physios! :)

@rianneonamission - love that you can do that! work has showers but they are soooo hot. And tbh my gym is 3 min drive from work, so my routine is nice too. But I would love to miss the 40min drive home!! (which I did last night due to gymming it, but can't do that every night cos I'll die!) haha

@tinkerbellang83 - and you have a marina!? very lucky!
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    "beerfoamy wrote: »
    @rianneonamission - love that you can do that! work has showers but they are soooo hot. And tbh my gym is 3 min drive from work, so my routine is nice too. But I would love to miss the 40min drive home!! (which I did last night due to gymming it, but can't do that every night cos I'll die!) haha

Yeah, our showers are like saunas (despite running out of hot water and having to rinse out shampoo with ice cold water). I was drying myself with the cold setting on the hairdryer because the second I had finished towel drying myself I was sweating again. Walking out of that room was a dream.

Today I ran 5k (or I think slightly closer to 5.1k) in 36:29, an average pace of 7:11/km. Very pleased with that! PRs on both 2mile and 5k.
  • beerfoamy
    Options
    Today I ran 5k (or I think slightly closer to 5.1k) in 36:29, an average pace of 7:11/km. Very pleased with that! PRs on both 2mile and 5k.

That's fantastic!! well done!! B)

• tinkerbellang83
    edited July 2017
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »

@tinkerbellang83 - and you have a marina!? very lucky!

not personally :lol:

Don't fancy having to pull out 50 euros for a physio (I miss the NHS sometimes lol) if it will wear off itself in a couple of days. Will try some yoga and stretching this evening, see how tomorrow's run goes and drag my *kitten* to the physio at the weekend if no improvement.
  • rianneonamission
    Options
    and drag my *kitten* to the physio at the weekend if no improvement.

This is possibly the best usage of kitten I have seen on MFP so far :D
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    I took a class called "Chisel" at my gym last night (Crunch). It turned out to be 30 minutes of tabata workouts. I thought I had reached a base level of fitness but I discovered that I was just wrong. I felt like I was going to puke when I was done and my butt is kicked. So I'll go back on Monday because obviously it is hitting the muscles running isn't.

I'm going to run this evening but not looking forward to it based on the aforementioned kicked butt and the temperature, which is supposed to be about 80F. I tell myself that it's going to be hot in Cali, and if I want to run races here, I need to get/stay used to it. I'm not very convinced, but I'm going anyway because tomorrow I am going to the piercers instead to get my nose adjusted now that it's healed up. Now I'm trying to decide between a simple cartilage piercing and a daith (which is supposed to help with headaches, which are a problem for me). Anyone have a daith piercing? Since I'm going to be there anyway, I figure I might as well get something else.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I took a class called "Chisel" at my gym last night (Crunch). It turned out to be 30 minutes of tabata workouts. I thought I had reached a base level of fitness but I discovered that I was just wrong. I felt like I was going to puke when I was done and my butt is kicked. So I'll go back on Monday because obviously it is hitting the muscles running isn't.

I'm going to run this evening but not looking forward to it based on the aforementioned kicked butt and the temperature, which is supposed to be about 80F. I tell myself that it's going to be hot in Cali, and if I want to run races here, I need to get/stay used to it. I'm not very convinced, but I'm going anyway because tomorrow I am going to the piercers instead to get my nose adjusted now that it's healed up. Now I'm trying to decide between a simple cartilage piercing and a daith (which is supposed to help with headaches, which are a problem for me). Anyone have a daith piercing? Since I'm going to be there anyway, I figure I might as well get something else.

I have a few friends were discussing daith piercings/migraines on facebook the general consensus was good but not sure if it's just a placebo effect.

I tweaked my run a little today as still got a bit of a dull ache but much better so I went for longer distance and more intervals. I should have been doing 2 x 10 mins with 1 x 5 min walk but instead did 3 x 8 mins and 2 × 3 min walk. First run interval was a bit slow to get into a rhythym as I was purposefully trying to go slower than usual until I got a bit warmed up. I completed just over 3km in 30 mins which is ok in my book. I will probably do the same again Saturday and then try the 2x10 mins on Sunday.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    Options
    Yeah that's what I understand about the daith too. My migraines are mostly in control at the moment, but I thought it couldn't hurt, and I don't have any med stuff planned that will require it coming out before it heals. That said, I like the aesthetics of the regular cartilage piercing better. I mean, I could just do both, I guess.

I don't think doing intervals is honestly that different from doing longer runs as long as the time adds up, so I don't think that you're slowing yourself down any by doing them and putting off longer intervals as long as the running time itself is longer. The 10K bridge training starts out with 5 8-min with a minute between, so not that much different.