How are you getting on with C25K?

Options

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Starting w6d1 today. Day 1 doesn't sound so bad after getting through w5d3.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    @TheGaudyMagpie how did you find the Zombies Run app? I am tempted to give it a whirl.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy it. The basic functionality is there for free but to activate random zombie chases you have to subscribe. Even without the chases, the ongoing story is engaging and keeps me motivated to keep going. The chases are pretty fun though and it's surprising how much speed you can manage to break out even if you think you're too tired.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Started the program AGAIN this year, having never actually completed it before. Did the dreaded W5D3 20 min run yesterday and it was FINE. Something shifted about a week ago and I actually WANT to go running, and don't look at it as a chore.

Trying to talk myself into lifting weights tonight instead of running again.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Week 5 is done! Had to resort to the usual 'fool myself into doing it then give myself stern tellings off' tactics while warming up for day 3 but actually, although it did seem to go on for ever, only the last few minutes were really hard work. Plus the feeling of satisfaction at managing to do it is going to have me floating 3 feet off the ground all day. I mean I just jogged (albeit at the turtle pace my short legs can cope with) for 20 minutes without stopping. Me. The one who couldn't walk for 3 days at the end of January after running for 60 seconds a couple of times!!!!! Of course, I have no idea whether or not I'll be able to walk tomorrow but so far I've only really had aching legs after a run once so here's to hoping :-D
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    After about 3 weeks off of not consistent running, I'm back at it with the 5K runs! Today was not my best run, but I was able to go for 25 minutes of running. I had to break up the last 8 minutes with walks, but I'm proud of myself for being at this point already despite not running for so long. I was really worried that I was going to have to start back at week one! I'm so glad to be able to be part of this group though and have all of you to motivate me!
  • eponine1984
    eponine1984 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Today I'll do week 3, day 1. I'm super slow - I "run" a 15-minute mile but at least I'm running.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Finished week 6, now it's just a case of adding a couple of minutes each week until 'graduation'.
    I am amazed at how well this program works and the changes it has caused in me, both physically and mentally. Not only did I run for 22 minutes this morning, when a few months ago I struggled to run for a whole minute, but after about 15 when it started to feel a bit tough I happily told myself to keep going as there were only 7 minutes to go.
    Hang on, 7 minutes to go and that makes me happy and confident I can do it????? Less than a month ago the thought of running for 5 minutes in a row was extremely challenging, now 7 feels like nothing. Amazing.
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I stumbled on week 7, unfortunately. I'll have to repeat it next week.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Week 7 day 1 completed this morning, 25 minutes in a row, no cheating, and today it was 9 (NINE!!!!!!!) minutes I was happily telling myself was ALL that was left and I could do it. Still finding this amazing.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins it is indeed amazing what we can accomplish. I still feel amazed after my runs, it feels like it can't be me who is doing this.
  • eponine1984
    Options
    I completed week 4 day 2 today. I run super slow (15 minute mile) and I've been trying to push myself a bit on the shorter jogs up to 4.5mph (13:19 minute mile). It's going pretty well. So today the 3 minute jogs were at 4.5mph and the 5 minute jogs were slower at 4.0. The five minutes feels a lot easier compared to the three, but it's still doable.
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    @eponine1984 - I am slow too but I don't mind. I just feel amazed by the distances/time I can cover. And I think getting faster comes later on - heck, before June this year I didn't jog/run AT ALL and thought that I can't do it.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    @eponine1984 - I am slow too but I don't mind. I just feel amazed by the distances/time I can cover. And I think getting faster comes later on - heck, before June this year I didn't jog/run AT ALL and thought that I can't do it.

Agree completely. All my jogging is done at 6 km/h (around 4 mph) and I couldn't care less. Beside the fact that I'm very short and my little legs would probably fall off if I tried to make them go much faster, the important thing is I'm doing it!
    Oh and on the subject of doing it, completed week 7 this morning. The first 10 minutes were tough and the last 10 minutes were tough, the 5 in the middle not too bad :D
    My mind is still boggling at the fact that I'm running for 25 minutes in a row and it isn't just a fluke. Me!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I had a bit of a break from running since I finished my fundraising event in August, have been focusing on my strength training instead, feel much better for it, but want to start incorporating a couple of runs back into my weekly routine, the weather was absolutely rubbish last week so didn't bother apart from 15 mins on a treadmill, which I didn't enjoy at all (used to road running).

So I figured the easiest way to do this is to do it on my lunch break at work, there are some nice flat routes around the marina about 5 mins away from where my office is located and we have great shower facilities. I think it will counter me not being able to motivate myself outside on the colder darker evenings now that the Autumn is drawing in.

I did about 3km today, stopped to walk twice but average around 8 mins per km which isn't too bad including a 5 min warm up walk.
  • eponine1984
    Options
    I completed W5D2 yesterday - running for 8 minutes at a time! My mind was very ready to give up long before my body was, but I kept on going. The last minute or so was very tough, but I think again it was my mind trying to convince me I couldn't reach that goal. I'm nervous about my next run - 20 minutes straight! Is it as bad as I'm thinking it might be?
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I completed W5D2 yesterday - running for 8 minutes at a time! My mind was very ready to give up long before my body was, but I kept on going. The last minute or so was very tough, but I think again it was my mind trying to convince me I couldn't reach that goal. I'm nervous about my next run - 20 minutes straight! Is it as bad as I'm thinking it might be?

It's been said a lot in this thread already that the mind is usually the only thing holding you back, if you can run 8 mins twice, you can run it twice with no break ;)
  • eleanorhawkins
    edited September 2017
    Options

No it isn't..... your brain will probably scream its head off but as long as you can scream louder telling it to shut up you'll get there. Trust the programme and trust your body, whether or not your mind is willing to admit it you are ready to do it.
    Oh and the feeling of triumph when you finish those 20 minutes is out of this world, promise!
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Week 8 is done. 28 minutes seems an awfully long time when you're running it..... day 1 I had to give myself a 2 minute break half way through, the other two days I managed to bully my brain into running the whole thing without stopping. Today was harder and proved that temperature makes a big difference for me: I ran in new, mid-calf length workout leggings that I bought myself and was chuffed to find fit as opposed to short shorts, won't be doing that again for a few more weeks!
    While running this morning I was toying with ideas of what to do next after I finish the programme next week. Still amazed I'm almost done, when I think that at the end of January when I first tried to start it it almost crippled me and I had to put myself through a self-designed programme to prepare myself before even starting it!