How are you getting on with C25K?

Options

Replies

• Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I managed to get through the first week pretty comfortable after slowing it down and day 1 of week 2 was ok as well.

Does anyone do incline walking to work muscles?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I managed to get through the first week pretty comfortable after slowing it down and day 1 of week 2 was ok as well.

Does anyone do incline walking to work muscles?

I don't actively but I haven't much choice I live in a town full of big hills so I often have to walk/run on an incline, I prefer a flatter route for my C25K though.
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 356 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I just started back on C25K. I previously finished it last year and tried going to the 10k program, but lost motivation and stopped. I just finished week 1, day 2 again. I'm sure I could've started on a further along week, but I'm doing it outside this time, instead of my treadmill, so it's different. But glad I'm starting back! These "easier" weeks are keeping me motivated and reminding me of how strong I've become. On my off (rainy) days, I'm going to do my exercise videos or walk the mall to get steps in.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I just started back on C25K. I previously finished it last year and tried going to the 10k program, but lost motivation and stopped. I just finished week 1, day 2 again. I'm sure I could've started on a further along week, but I'm doing it outside this time, instead of my treadmill, so it's different. But glad I'm starting back! These "easier" weeks are keeping me motivated and reminding me of how strong I've become. On my off (rainy) days, I'm going to do my exercise videos or walk the mall to get steps in.

I think you're right to start back at Week 1 there is such a massive difference between treadmill and outdoor running. But I am sure you will do fantastic!
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I treated myself to new running shoes a while ago because of issues with my right foot. I had worked out that the front of my other running shoes was too wide so my foot moved too much. However, doing the gait analysis in the shop it became very obvious that my technique is off: I land on the front side of my foot (the outside of the ball, so where the three smallest toes start), which seems to coincide with the discomfort I was feeling. Not surprising given the amount of weight I was putting through it.

I have done one day in wk 1, one day in wk 2 which were mostly fine. Yesterday I attempted wk3 and really focused on how my foot lands, and I felt considerably less discomfort in the longer runs once I found my stride.

I do have sufficient energy for running for a longer period of time (I am considerably faster than last year), but have decided that using the program to improve my technique is important. Hopefully I'll be back to running 5k without discomfort soon.
  • MegansMom2011
    MegansMom2011 Posts: 356 Member
    Options

I think you're right to start back at Week 1 there is such a massive difference between treadmill and outdoor running. But I am sure you will do fantastic!

Thank you! I'm noticing the massive difference already, lol! Love the slightly sore muscle feeling again!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I started from the beginning again and am making myself do at least one run per week outdoors this time round. Haven't yet decided whether I like it more or less....the running itself seems harder on the hard surface and my knees aren't too happy about it but time does go by much quicker. This morning as it's a holiday here so the streets were quiet I decided to hit the road even though I had run outdoors on Saturday and (of course) I hadn't realised it was that good old buddy Week 5 Day 3! I managed to go for around 13 minutes but then had to walk for 30 seconds to catch my breath. I still enjoyed it though (brain is still having trouble getting used to actually enjoying and feeling better after RUNNING) and am thinking of trying to turn that route into a regular Sunday run.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Finished week 6 for the second time yesterday (didn't feel up to 25 minutes on Monday so decided to repeat the week before) and I did it outside, my longest interval without a break outdoors yet. It was pretty tough, I was huffing and puffing and gasping for breath like crazy (not to mention counting down the final 5 minutes and wasting desperately needed breath muttering to myself that the app timer had to be wrong and the countdown was way too slow) but got it done. I'm still finding I run a lot faster outside even though I really try to slow myself down, in fact my walking speed outside is my jogging speed on the treadmill! Signed up for a 4.2k on the 27th, my very modest goal is to beat my time on the 4k I did a couple of weeks ago (33 minutes) a lot of which we walked. It should coincide with week 8 day 3 of the program so will work pretty well I think!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    Finished week 6 for the second time yesterday (didn't feel up to 25 minutes on Monday so decided to repeat the week before) and I did it outside, my longest interval without a break outdoors yet. It was pretty tough, I was huffing and puffing and gasping for breath like crazy (not to mention counting down the final 5 minutes and wasting desperately needed breath muttering to myself that the app timer had to be wrong and the countdown was way too slow) but got it done. I'm still finding I run a lot faster outside even though I really try to slow myself down, in fact my walking speed outside is my jogging speed on the treadmill! Signed up for a 4.2k on the 27th, my very modest goal is to beat my time on the 4k I did a couple of weeks ago (33 minutes) a lot of which we walked. It should coincide with week 8 day 3 of the program so will work pretty well I think!

Do you have a tracker watch, if you do, depending on the make/model you can set a maximum pace for running on some of them so it will buzz on your wrist to stop you from going to fast.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options

Do you have a tracker watch, if you do, depending on the make/model you can set a maximum pace for running on some of them so it will buzz on your wrist to stop you from going to fast.

Hmm, I have a fitbit charge2 but don't think it does that. I think though it's more a case of going too slow on the treadmill than too fast outside, just my knees and shins and lungs need time to adapt :D
    After Sunday's longer outdoor run plus a lot of walking yesterday (24k steps or so) my shins are feeling sore today so going to give myself an extra day's rest and leave starting week 7 until tomorrow. I'm seriously considering going out and buying some better trainers too.... I was in a pair of the more expensive cheap ones which have been fine for the treadmill but am feeling like I might need to graduate to the cheaper more expensive ones now, especially with a road race coming up!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options

Hmm, I have a fitbit charge2 but don't think it does that. I think though it's more a case of going too slow on the treadmill than too fast outside, just my knees and shins and lungs need time to adapt :D
    After Sunday's longer outdoor run plus a lot of walking yesterday (24k steps or so) my shins are feeling sore today so going to give myself an extra day's rest and leave starting week 7 until tomorrow. I'm seriously considering going out and buying some better trainers too.... I was in a pair of the more expensive cheap ones which have been fine for the treadmill but am feeling like I might need to graduate to the cheaper more expensive ones now, especially with a road race coming up!

Check out the settings for Running Cues, you may be able to do it under that?

Good trainers are definitely worth the investment. Asics, Brooks and Saucony were amongst the better brands when I was researching because I need good stability ones for my over-pronation.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Went and got myself a decent pair of Asics, I've been wearing bottom of the range Asics since I started walking and jogging and they've been great right up to now when I've started pounding more pavements, so am hoping these higher up the range ones make the difference. The main selling point was a customer review I read that said they were too cushioning for her taste.... I thought "I WANT TOO MUCH CUSHIONING" lol. Will start breaking them in tomorrow and see :-)
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    @eleanorhawkins - hehe awesome - I love my Asics (mostly cos they are the same bright green as my car)
    I am also on the side of 'how can any amount of cushioning be too much!?!'
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins - hehe awesome - I love my Asics (mostly cos they are the same bright green as my car)

When it keeps you from feeling the road and leads to slips, sprains, trips, or rolls.

When over time that excessive cushioning makes your tendons/ligaments lazy so that you end up having a serious injury when you have a trip or slip.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options

When it keeps you from feeling the road and leads to slips, sprains, trips, or rolls.

When over time that excessive cushioning makes your tendons/ligaments lazy so that you end up having a serious injury when you have a trip or slip.

ahhhh good thinking Batman!
    did not think of all that!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

ahhhh good thinking Batman!
    did not think of all that!

I'm not fully sold on all of the minimalist propaganda, but they do make some really good points.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options

I can see your point, I guess finding the balance between not enough cushioning causing pain and too much cushioning causing risk is the key.
    Don't think I'm ever likely to find anything with so much I don't feel the road though. I have been thinking things over on the treadmill (as you do!) and am wondering whether I'm heavier on my feet now than I used to be (lazy form from habit?) so have pledged to make a conscious effort to try and land lighter if that makes sense and see if that helps.
    Will report back after Sunday's outdoor run!
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Progress report: the new shoes seem to have alleviated the soreness from my shins and are pretty comfortable. However, my knees are moaning a bit this week, think that's just because I'm back in week 8 and they have always been whimps!
    Just finished week 8 day 2, couple of days rest (from running) then day 3 coincides nicely with Sunday's race.
    This is the 4.2 km race I walked with a few minutes of jogging thrown in last year and pledged that this year I would run the whole thing. My daughter (who is going through that teenage "I hate every form of movement or effort") phase and a runner friend have both bailed out on me, so I'll be going it alone :-1: but there you go. I've found myself obsessing a little over the time, which is stupid but that's me. My very unambitious goal is to do it in under the 33 minutes last month's 4k took us (we walked a lot as my daughter was with me, but when she runs I struggle to keep up with her long legs!) On the treadmill, I have to set it to 6 km/h to be comfortable but I do know I run a lot faster than that outside. Last Sunday while doing my outdoor day I think I heard my app say 4 km after around 29 minutes, and that included the 5 minute warmup walk. Yet I walked most of the course on Monday cause I happened to be in the area with an hour to kill, and my app said 3.6km took me 46 minutes to walk!!!
    I guess either my mind or my app are f******* with me LOL.
  • eleanorhawkins
    Options
    Mission accomplished, not only did I manage to run the whole thing, I did it in 27.30 which was less than I was expecting or hoping to do. Still slow I know but I was middle of the pack I reckon and only 3 men doing the 8k version lapped me, I crossed the finish line right behind the guy who came 3rd on that. So I'm very happy! I was going to count it as Week 8 Day 3 of the C25k and start on week 9 of the 10k app in a couple of days but now don't think I should as it was neither 5k nor 30 minutes lol.
    Trainers did well, feet felt great and although I feel my knees and shins will probably be a bit sore tomorrow I think that's more because it was late starting so we spent 20 minutes standing about before starting plus I hung about to drink some water and watch some more people cross the line before walking home so different from my usual walking warmups and cooldowns.
  • hpopik1
    hpopik1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well, Week 1 Day 1 completed.

I think it's going to be a long 8 weeks.
    Going to start looking for a 5K in October Halloween theme would be nice