Retirement Projects

Options
Farback
Farback Posts: 1,063 Member
Some of us are lucky enough to be actually or semi retired. I'm presently retired for the second time (the first lasted two days) since May 20th, 2017. I'll likely go back to part time or a couple months on/off in the fall, but for now, I'm enjoying the first break excluding vacations in 41 years.

I'm getting lots of long planned work done around home. I figured I'd start a thread where us geezers could show some of our geriatric projects.

Kirk

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Wow! Projects completed and new ones planned! The fire pit makes for a good powwow.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,900 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Hey, Kirk... Here's a project I've kept a link for someday... You might like it!

http://www.ana-white.com/2011/05/picnic-table-converts-benches
    convertible%20bench%20picnic%20table%20plans%202.jpg

• RodaRose
    Options
    So beautiful. :star: I used to sew seed beads to some work blouses to dress them up a little.
  • Farback
    Options
    Beautiful work Ann.

Today I ordered materials to re-roof my father's small barn, a project my brother and his oldest son and I will do later this month. I also re-clad and painted a support post in my carport. The old one was rotting.

5bf67op19wnu.jpg

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I am in awe of each of you who do things beautifully in retirement. I have skills, but they are not useful or transferrable outside the semiconductor design industry.

I plan to die on the job. In this industry, there is no forced retirement age. There are a lot of people who die on the job, too.

I heard that the lead layout guy for the Pentium chip collapsed and died in the midst of tape out.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Dying on the job isn't one of my life goals.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    My yoga friends persuaded me to do a mala necklace workshop. 108 beads & knots later...

4oiajhhzrlfu.jpg
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    My yoga friends persuaded me to do a mala necklace workshop. 108 beads & knots later...

4oiajhhzrlfu.jpg

Are you fully chill from the experience, or did 108 knots kinda baby-feline you off?

;)

Nice mala! Jasper (picture jasper, maybe?) and . . . what? Quartz? Moonstone? Inquiring rock lovers want to know! ;)
  • RodaRose
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I am in awe of each of you who do things beautifully in retirement. I have skills, but they are not useful or transferrable outside the semiconductor design industry.

I plan to die on the job. In this industry, there is no forced retirement age. There are a lot of people who die on the job, too.

I heard that the lead layout guy for the Pentium chip collapsed and died in the midst of tape out.

Not a bad way to go actually. :star:
    I do not even know what those words means but I gather he was in the midst of doing something rather routine.
    Not that it matters; the universe decides for us. B)

• RodaRose
    Options
    Okay.The mala beads piqued my interest, so I went to the repository of all knowledge -- Youtube. Thanks.:mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDzE1-OJpN0
  • UncleMac
    edited August 2017
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    UncleMac wrote: »

4oiajhhzrlfu.jpg

Are you fully chill from the experience, or did 108 knots kinda baby-feline you off?

;)

Nice mala! Jasper (picture jasper, maybe?) and . . . what? Quartz? Moonstone? Inquiring rock lovers want to know! ;)
    I'm a patient person. Although I didn't find the experience meditative, I was fine with it.

Picture Jasper (for balance and peace), Quartz Rutile (for happiness and joy) and Rose Quartz (for love and creativity).
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Such beautiful pieces. I love the work artists do.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Retired after 31 years but took post-retirement lawn care job with best friend. Doesn't leave much time for hobbies, but I've developed an interest in blacksmithing after making an aluminum melt foundry for recycling soda cans with my (now off to college) son.

Since anvils are running $3-$6 (US) dollars a pound, I bought a 20" scrap of 12"x12" I-beam ($25/ft) to fashion an ASO (anvil shaped obect). Currently weighing in at 120 lbs

Worked on trimming 3" off either side of my ASO using a sawzall to give a 6x20" work surface. Had to give saw time to cool off every so often, so string trimmed yard, mowed, ate lunch, and poured three new pedestals for the aluminum melt foundry.

mj4n1jzpw9dg.jpg

v3x6egmzlmbs.jpg

(50lb dog food bags in background are full of crushed soda cans waiting their turn in the melt foundry.)

I'll cut one of the 3" strips in half and weld them back on the top as skirts. The other strip I'll cut into triangles and weld back on as stiffeners top and bottom.

Not much progress on the blacksmith forge. Have to wait for a rainy day to hit the iron yard for scraps. They are not open on weekends.

I'll try to post updates at least weekly but another busy time of the year for lawn care is fast approaching so no promises.
  • Farback
    Options
    Todays project for the elegantly retired, a pull out tray and top shelf for the baking cupboard.
    klqyg1jexumu.jpg
    l2wh5bxw9h4t.jpg