Retirement Projects

Options

Replies

• Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have a toxicity chart of the woods I work with, and take a lot of precautions. Negative pressure ventilation for the shop, good 3M mask with both dust and VOC filters, on all the time tools run or handing/sanding stuff like this.

I got the kukri from an estate sale, the same place I got the vintage tools. I think the original owner served in WWII, he passed away in the late 50’s. I think it’s a genuine war period weapon. Hard to prove, but it appears to be from that time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Looks like a beautiful weapon, Farback, and you've built the perfect display for it. Thanks for sharing it!
  • Farback
    Options
    Major two full day shop cleanup and reorganization before I start the canoe build. I did a lot of research, bit the bullet and spent some serious change on an air filtration unit. It will arrive this week, and should make a large improvement is the air quality and my health.
    a11c4ev0plf3.png
    8yi3kdkszeak.png
    b90qj0nua66s.png
    f5vugwhgqjuj.png

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,243 Member
    Options
    Now yer talkin'! What kind of canoe are you building? Stripper? Stitch and glue? Size? I can't wait to watch this one!

I built a stitch and glue sea kayak from a kit. I don't want to build another one, but it was a fun learning experience, and it's a pretty boat.
  • Farback
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Now yer talkin'! What kind of canoe are you building? Stripper? Stitch and glue? Size? I can't wait to watch this one!

I built a stitch and glue sea kayak from a kit. I don't want to build another one, but it was a fun learning experience, and it's a pretty boat.

It’s a Bear Mountain Redbird, 17 foot wood strip. I’ll post progress pics and document the build on my website Farback.ca.

Looking forward to getting some back-country time in this one this summer.

• Farback
    Options
    Still doing shop improvements to aid in the canoe project. Added a sled under the tale saw, and built an offcut table for it. This supports cut pieces and adds more safety. It's slotted for the guide rails of the mitre and crosscut sled, and has a big storage shelf. Still need to apply finish.

rhpnwvctcoqr.png
    hskb4ezvgz07.png
    i1pnqgonhyva.png
    494taewt0i2u.png
  • Farback
    Options
    Lots of progress on the canoe project.

https://farback.ca/index.php/boat-shop/27-bear-mountain-redbird-canoe-2019

kjkc525ge8ki.jpg
    "Call me Dusty darling, everybody does" (fans of Little Britain will get the reference)
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Very nice. I would be way too scared to try to build a stripper. But my they are pretty, and they're strong too. And light! Yours will be lighter than most with smaller strips. I hope that it's not just work, but also fun.

And when you're done... I hope that hull gets to be wet a whole bunch!
  • Farback
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It’s very enjoyable work. Four hours on a semi-dangerous piece of equipment was tedious and requires concentration, but once the materials are prepped, the building process provides instant gratification as the finished product appears. Once done, it will likely spend most days on the roof racks for every H2O opportunity.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I should go back and look at the pictures from my skin-on-frame build. I remember those little victories when a bunch of plywood started to look like a hull and a deck and eventually... a boat!

My boss is a fabricator. He jokes about not liking to work with wood. If he takes off too much material, he can weld on some more. Not so much with wood. If I were to take up a craft, it would either be wood or ceramics. I have a degree in forest management, and I like trees. Wood is good! I really haven't dabbled with ceramics, but it looks like a ton of fun.

I'm looking forward to following your build. I'm sure you'll post reminders here so we can go see it come together.

What I would really like to be able to do is build two sets of one-piece 9.5' wood oars. I've seen posts on another site of folks building them out of a number of methods from a single chunk of wood to laminating one or more types of wood for the shaft and a different laminate for the blade and various amounts of glass. Some of the blades are really pretty with patterns from different kinds of wood glued together. Lightweight, well balanced (you can leave more material near the handle to get a better balance), strong, warm-feeling, and with a nice flex to get some power out of the rebound. Yeah, can you tell I'm dreaming?
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,924 Member
    Options
    Nice work!! You've got skills!!
  • Farback
    Options
    Very nice. My wife and I are old hippys too.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Had plans to get back into the smithy today, but working 11 hour plus days with a nasty cough and head cold this last week have changed my mind.

It's the Lazy-Boy for me today.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    It's a lovely day in Ottawa... sunny and warm... So I celebrated by walking in the neighbourhood and then raking the front lawn. The back lawn is still a bit spongy so it will have to wait.
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Had plans to get into the smithy again Sunday, but the son's truck started dragging a rear brake (turned out to be a sticking parking brake cable, still waiting for replacement parts but truck is rolling again) and then had forgotten about delivering a sq.yd. of mulch to a neighbor during my bout with walking pneumonia so took care of that while waiting for the truck parts to come in, turned the compost pile at work and then mowed the 4 acres there (still no truck parts). And finally visited my aging mom which I had put off the last two weeks since she sure doesn't need what I had.

My drive is showing the wear of all the rain we've gotten recently but with more rain on the way in the next four days, guess its good I didn't get to that.
  • Farback
    Options
    I took 11 huge bags of leaves over to my daughter for her garden compost. Two raking sessions, more to go.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    On Thursday after work, one of my coworkers called as I was finishing up asking for my help. She was hearing a loud clunking noise under her Ford Ranger and wasn't sure what was happening. I drove to where she was parked and, after a brief listen, I suggested she head slowly but directly to her mechanic. It sounded like the front u-joint or at least in that area.

Long story short, it turned out to be her front hubs... both were shot although only one was clunking... plus her brake rotors & shoes were done too... Just as well she stopped instead of heading onto the highway.
  • Farback
    Options
    Well done Wayne. Prevented both our services being there for an unpleasant experience. I think basic vehicle maintenance and understanding of the mechanical systems should be a second required test of anyone who drives.