Retirement Projects

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,933 Member
    Options
    cabwj wrote: »
    I'm not retired, which is why I'm covertly pouring over this thread at work. I am in awe of all the talent here.

Me too... although I'm getting closer all the time...
  • d_thomas02
    d_thomas02 Posts: 9,048 Member
    Options
    Saturday we got an all day rainout from work (yes, we are still working 6 days out of 7), so I sat in my Lazyboy with my knee up on a pillow and watched Netflix all day long.

Couldn't take it again on Sunday so started working on a stand for my Portasaw. (Sorry, no pics yet.)

Also, for work, welded a broken wheel bracket back onto a push mower and fiddled with two string trimmer heads that had decided to get difficult about releasing more string when asked. All (including myself) are ready to go back to work.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I’ve been taking it easy for a couple weeks to get through these damn shingles, but the inactivity, other than a daily five mile walk, is driving me nuts.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Haven't had a chance to get back to my Smithy projects as we are still working 6 days a week.

Weather is starting to transition into Fall, so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

And then there is the total knee replacement coming up, seven weeks and counting. This will definitely end my 2018 busy season. Fingers crossed I'll be able to stand in front of an anvil and swing a hammer 2 weeks after.
  • Farback
    Options
    j5rkk1bcpmwa.jpeg
    anp8rixh2jl6.jpeg

Back to some carpentry work. Driving limo cuts into my play time. Cut the back profiles on the chairs and started glueing in the mahogany plugs to hide the screws. Each chair and footstool pair requires 120 plugs. Completed two chairs and then had to produce more plugs.
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Beautiful work Farback. Really like the contrast in woods.

Still working six days a week here. Just missed a killing frost last night.

Slow progress on Porta-saw stand. Still have to trim the vertical stand pipe down and then figure out a way to stabilize the lower end of the saw handle. After that I only have to add an on/off switch as these saws don't have a trigger lock.

l8tnlr1sz6mb.jpg

Not had a lot of free time even on my one day off as I'm helping my buddy/boss rebuild and install a 4.3L engine in his boat. Getting close now. Another day, maybe two, to install the lower unit on the transom and then time the engine.

hxk5d41zoh7l.jpg
  • UncleMac
    Options
    That's a whack of plugs (yes, I went for the pun)
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Kirk,

Got another Dave at work so, to keep the confusion to a minimum, I go by David.

I see 'Dave' and I now think of the other guy, not me. :D
  • d_thomas02
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Fun with my own truck.

Headed home the other night and stopped at the local auto parts store to get a thermostat, radiator cap, and a couple of gallons of 50/50 for the old blue beast ('94 Toyota pickup /w a 22RE 4 cylinder) as she has been spitting up coolant lately (crossing fingers its not a headgasket... again). Turn down the onramp and gave her the gas. About halfway down, she shuts down like I had shut the ignition off. All the dash lights are on and she cranks good. But nothin'

My son stops on his way home and we cobble a short tow rope out of a couple of coils of 1/4" tiedown rope I keep in the truck.

Get home and start troubleshooting. After a couple of false leads, I find this...

a40kwgi8h2uw.jpg

That coppery rat's nest around the distributor shaft is the insides of the pickup coil, now on the outside. I've never seen one fail like this before.

$50 for a new one and then I can start troubleshooting the coolant issue. (Still crossing fingers its not a headgasket.)

Maybe its time to find a daily driver that doesn't have 300,000+ miles on it.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    I've never seen one fail like that before either. Bizarre!!
  • Farback
    Options
    Had a whole day off. Made a place to keep my EDC (every day carry) stuff, and an apple for my favorite teacher.

wuqre8uhfcer.jpeg
    e63yffeszwtm.jpeg
    4a0lbkreccpc.jpeg
  • d_thomas02
    Options
    Really like the apple, Kirk. I've a favorite teacher as well. May have to steal your idea and try and blacksmith one when I get back on my feet after the knee operation.

New distributor pickup coil and my old truck runs again. But new thermostat did not cure the collant issue. Looks like either a bad head gasket or cracked head.

Either way the old beast is going into retirement. I may rebuild the engine and keep it as a farm truck but now looking for a new mode of daily transportation. Thinking small V6 4x4 truck w/ manual tranny... if I can find anything with a manual these days.

Thinking I'll hang loose, bumming rides off my family and friends for the next three weeks until the knee operation and then start seriously looking after mid-December with the plan to not buy until after the new year (saves a bit on property taxes not having a new horse in the stables on Jan 1).
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I need a bowl like that! Beautiful!
  • Farback
    Options
    c66qfz7a7m9d.jpg
    qtmtodqn5wrp.jpg

Couple new projects today. An apple for my friend Kathy, teacher, dive buddy and sister firefighter. the start of a vase project, used off-cut pieces from a table I shortened for my daughter a couple days ago, and some purpleheart strips from the off-cut bin. All re-purposed wood.